Start by marking “The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit” as Want to Read:
The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  419 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Emma Thompson celebrates 110 years of Peter Rabbit with a new, original tale written by Oscar-winning actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson, based on the original tales by Beatrix Potter.
In this story, Peter's adventures take him beyond the boundaries of Mr. McGregor's garden and all the way to Scotland With 72 pages of beautiful text and illustrations, this hardcover pic
Published September 18th 2012 by Warne (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

Jean
In the summer of 2010, Frederick Warne, the publisher of the Peter Rabbit stories by Beatrix Potter, invited Emma Thompson to write a sequel. The way they approached her must be unique - and proved to be irresistible. In the introduction to The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit the author tells how the story came about.

In Emma Thompson's post one day, she received a small cardboard box containing a half-eaten radish leaf and a letter from Peter Rabbit, saying that a "certain mischievous twinkle" in
Kandice
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
In keeping with this timeless Easter "Bunnytail" here is my review of The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit.

Is it easier for children of the 21st century to comprehend the original works of Beatrix Potter? I beg to differ. By the time children would understand the language used in Potter's series, they would totally be over bunnies, rodents, and other small animals. So bravo to Emma Thompson for keeping with the Potter theme, yet crafting her story-telling to compliment Potter without losing the audi
cọng rơm
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
trời ơi bể tim vì hai bạn thỏ bé nhỏ quá dễ thương!!! T_T
coi tranh mà xụt xịt ôm tim Y_Y
liêu xiêu lao xao leo xeo lun đó ;_;
[Name Redacted]
Nov 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
MY FAVORITE ACTRESS WROTE A SEQUEL TO THE WORK OF BEATRIX POTTER.
THIS BOOK MUST BE MINE.
I WILL SACRIFICE ALL OF YOU TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
Eva Lucia
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also posted on Eva Lucias blog

Tak til Bazar for anmeldereksemplaret!

Peter Kanin er naturligvis Beatrix Potters elskede værk og alle har på et eller andet tidspunkt stiftet bekendskab med den søde og elskværdige kanin, som man ikke kan stå for. I denne udgave har skuespilleren Emma Thompson fanget essensen og skabt Peter Kanin og Kæmperadisen i en ny form.

Illustrationerne er smukke og humoristiske, og man kommer nemt ind i stemningen, som historien tillader. Desuden er historien naturligvis oplag
Michel
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
One of the great things about a 6-year old grandson is you have an excuse to read things like this (just to be sure it's age-appropriate, you see).
A fantastic book! Wakes up the little boy (or girl) in us: the words, the thoughts, the questions, the marvel and the anguish of not understanding everything.
And the story is told with such gusto, why even the typefaces participate.
Highly recommended, whether you have a 6-year old to share it with or not.
Rekha
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have a definite fondness for Potter's Peter Rabbit so that's probably most of it. The drawing and story are perfectly done for Beatrix Potter fans- cozy, comforting, pastoral sweetness. Thompson did a great job of keeping the tone of the original books in her language, while gently updating the feel just the right amount. It's a bit long and has some challenging words so would make a good one-on-one read aloud.
Kathy
Well, I work at a bookstore and this book came across my desk this morning. I have never read any Peter Rabbit books before, but I have always meant to. So, with that in mind, I just had to pick it up.....and then I couldn't put it down. What a sweet story! Now, I definitely have to catch up and read the original Peter Rabbit books!
ღ Carol jinx~☆~
I love Beatrix Potter's art and stories of Peter Rabbit and all his friends.
This is a really good story for kids and the illustrations are amazing. I want more adventures to read about that rascally rabbit.
Fresh_chords
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Very cute!
Thuỳ Vân
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-children, 2014
Haha, siêu dễ thương. Tự nhiên phát minh ra chữ "cà nựng" nhớ tới cảnh hai đứa nó rúc rích ôm nhau ngủ khi đang rất vui sướng.
Katy Noyes
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, beautifully illustrated and a very faithful story.
Hong
Dec 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
I rolled my eyes the entire way through. I can't imagine any child finding this entertaining either.
Mai Lien Nguyen
Ngoai dê thương ra con biêt noi gi hơn. hiuhiuhiu ...more
K. McDevitt
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story was such a delight! Emma Thompson and Eleanor Taylor brought me swiftly back into Peter Rabbit's realm with a quirky, amusing story the felt very Peter-ish indeed and with artwork that was in Beatrix Potter's style, though obviously not hers. There were so many things I loved about this little story:
1. Peter feasts and slips into a happy food nap not once but twice. The first time, he wakes up to find himself in Scotland! (Oh, I do love Scotland)
2. Peter meets his cousin, Finlay (whic
Gözde Yeşilsefa
The Library Lady
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I am of 2 minds about this.
First off, the art work is beautifully done. Eleanor Taylor channels Beatrix Potter's original art beautifully in both line and use of color. And Thompson's telling has the droll-without-being-twee tones of the original prose.

However, I am hoping that Thompson does not churn out a never ending series of these, because they are just a tad reminiscent of the awful "Curious George Goes.." knockoffs that have been made from the original H A Rey books. Plot=Peter is told by
Christina
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Christina by: PW starred review
I've been curious about this book for a while. I love Emma Thompson's work as an actress, and she did a good job creating a children's book. The illustrations by Eleanor Taylor (who should have gotten cover credit) were lovely. But the story feels like a modern one--though featuring Potter's characters, the plot didn't feel like her work.
Dan
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book with a great CD accompanying the book. Emma Thompson does a great job with narration. The CD also includes Scottish accents and music helping to build the story.
Paul
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Uh-oh, Peter!
Patti
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actually, it's the accompanying CD that gets this rating. My 4-year-old granddaughters (and I) love Emma Thomson's reading of her book - delightful!
Sandy
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Enig verhaal over Pieter Konijn is geliefd hier in huis!
Misbah
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Grace Taylor
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taylor Torgrimson
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Emma Thompson does a fantastic job of expanding the plot line of the classic tale of Peter Rabbit. Thompson takes Peter on an adventure after he gets into Mr. McGregor's picnic basket. Peter falls asleep in Mr. McGregor's picnic basket and is taken far away from home. Peter jumps from Mr. McGregor's cart the moment it stops moving and runs into the nearest woodland area. It is here in the woodland area that Peter runs into a cousin rabbit of his, Finlay McBurney. Finlay has gained word that Pete ...more
Andrew
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

I always thought I was a Beatrix Potter fan. I loved Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, Jemima Puddle-Duck, Tom Kitten. I always thought that Mrs Tiggy-Winkle and Mr Jeremy Fisher would make the perfect couple (I have no idea why!). And my favourite tale by Beatrix Potter is The Tailor of Gloucester. So, when I heard that Emma Thompson was writing a "further tale", I decided to do some research... and discovered that I haven't read even half of the Beatrix Potter coll
Melinda
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have two confessions about this book. First of all, I decided to read it to my kids based solely on the fact that Emma Thompson wrote it. I adore Emma Thompson and I've always felt that she had a good way of relating to children.

Secondly, and this may be a bit blasphemous, but I enjoyed this book far more than any book written by Beatrix Potter. I remember not especially liking the original books as a child and was rather aghast to discover how harsh they could be when I re-read them to my own
Jessica Harrison
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, picture
Full review at Cracking the Cover
“The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit” is perfectly in keeping with its predecessors. Both the story and the illustrations are charming. At more than 60 pages, it’s longer than most picture books, but the text is sparse and simple, which makes it feel shorter than it is.

This edition also comes with a CD recording by Emma Thompson. And while I thoroughly enjoyed how the actress/screenwriter/author brought the characters to life, I did have some issues with the recordi
Coenraad
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Coenraad by: Elaine Smit-de Ridder
In the spirit of the many prequel-sequel-requel publications comes this new story about Beatrix Potter's most famous character, Peter Rabbit. Emma Thompson was approached to imagine a new adventure to celebrate 110 years since the first publication. She manages to have fun with the character, states that she does not attempt to imitate Miss Potter's prose style, and creates something convincing without causing damage to the original. Eleanor Taylor captures the expansion of Peter's world in her ...more
Nicolette
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
IMAGINE my surprise and delight when I picked up The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit to find that British actress Emma Thompson had written the story. Thompson holds a special place in my heart because I interviewed her in February 2007 in Grahamstown’s township when she came to South Africa to talk about HIV/Aids and violence against women and children.
But back to the book. In the foreword to The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit Thompson says she was surprised when she opened her front door one day to
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: Further Peter Rabbit 3 145 Jun 24, 2013 04:35PM
  • Step Gently Out
  • There Was a Tree
  • Peek-a-Boo Bunny
  • Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • This Is Paris
  • It's All About Me-Ow
  • Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer
  • The Perfect Hug
  • Night Knight
Emma Thompson is an Emmy-, BAFTA-, Golden Globe- and two time Academy Award-winning English actress, comedian, and screenwriter. She is also a patron of the Refugee Council.
More about Emma Thompson...