Start by marking “The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit” as Want to Read:
The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

( Peter Rabbit)

Emma Thompson celebrates 110 years of Peter Rabbit with a new, original tale written by Oscar-winning actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson, based on the original tales by Beatrix Potter.
In this story, Peter's adventures take him beyond the boundaries of Mr. McGregor's garden and all the way to Scotland With 72 pages of beautiful text and illustrations, this hardcover pic
Published September 18th 2012 by Warne (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

Start your review of The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit
Bionic Jean
In the summer of 2010, Frederick Warne, the publisher of the Peter Rabbit stories by Beatrix Potter, invited Emma Thompson to write a sequel. The way they approached her must be unique - and proved to be irresistible. In the introduction to The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit the author tells how the story came about.

In Emma Thompson's post one day, she received a small cardboard box containing a half-eaten radish leaf and a letter from Peter Rabbit, saying that a "certain mischievous twinkle" in
Ashley Marie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I missed adding this here. It was such an adorable read, and felt very much in the vein of the original stories. Scottish McBunneh was amazing and I want him -cuddles-
Kandice
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
In keeping with this timeless Easter "Bunnytail" here is my review of The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit.

Is it easier for children of the 21st century to comprehend the original works of Beatrix Potter? I beg to differ. By the time children would understand the language used in Potter's series, they would totally be over bunnies, rodents, and other small animals. So bravo to Emma Thompson for keeping with the Potter theme, yet crafting her story-telling to compliment Potter without losing the audi
[Name Redacted]
Nov 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
MY FAVORITE ACTRESS WROTE A SEQUEL TO THE WORK OF BEATRIX POTTER.
THIS BOOK MUST BE MINE.
I WILL SACRIFICE ALL OF YOU TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
Kristina
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
How did I not know that this lovely little book existed?! It is not only a further tale of my beloved Peter but it also set in Scotland!!! I mean, could you ask for more? <3 ...more
writer...
Audio version features expressive reading by author Emma Thompson. Enjoyment for both wee listeners and adult companion! ...more
Susan
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming!
Rekha
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have a definite fondness for Potter's Peter Rabbit so that's probably most of it. The drawing and story are perfectly done for Beatrix Potter fans- cozy, comforting, pastoral sweetness. Thompson did a great job of keeping the tone of the original books in her language, while gently updating the feel just the right amount. It's a bit long and has some challenging words so would make a good one-on-one read aloud.
Michel
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth, fantasy
One of the great things about a 6-year old grandson is you have an excuse to read things like this (just to be sure it's age-appropriate, you see).
A fantastic book! Wakes up the little boy (or girl) in us: the words, the thoughts, the questions, the marvel and the anguish of not understanding everything.
And the story is told with such gusto, why even the typefaces participate.
Highly recommended, whether you have a 6-year old to share it with or not.
Kathy
Well, I work at a bookstore and this book came across my desk this morning. I have never read any Peter Rabbit books before, but I have always meant to. So, with that in mind, I just had to pick it up.....and then I couldn't put it down. What a sweet story! Now, I definitely have to catch up and read the original Peter Rabbit books!
ღ Carol jinx~☆~☔
I love Beatrix Potter's art and stories of Peter Rabbit and all his friends.
This is a really good story for kids and the illustrations are amazing. I want more adventures to read about that rascally rabbit.
Katy Noyes
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, beautifully illustrated and a very faithful story.
Hong
Dec 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
I rolled my eyes the entire way through. I can't imagine any child finding this entertaining either.
Fresh_chords
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr, 2017
Very cute!
K. McDevitt
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story was such a delight! Emma Thompson and Eleanor Taylor brought me swiftly back into Peter Rabbit's realm with a quirky, amusing story the felt very Peter-ish indeed and with artwork that was in Beatrix Potter's style, though obviously not hers. There were so many things I loved about this little story:
1. Peter feasts and slips into a happy food nap not once but twice. The first time, he wakes up to find himself in Scotland! (Oh, I do love Scotland)
2. Peter meets his cousin, Finlay (whic
The Library Lady
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I am of 2 minds about this.
First off, the art work is beautifully done. Eleanor Taylor channels Beatrix Potter's original art beautifully in both line and use of color. And Thompson's telling has the droll-without-being-twee tones of the original prose.

However, I am hoping that Thompson does not churn out a never ending series of these, because they are just a tad reminiscent of the awful "Curious George Goes.." knockoffs that have been made from the original H A Rey books. Plot=Peter is told by
Totally adorable! Found this gem at the library and my 6-year-old daughter and I loved following along with the audiobook read by the amazing Emma Thompson herself. Inspired us to pull out my Beatrix Potter collection and read all those charming books to her at bedtime. Some actors/celebrities try to write children's books with mediocre results, but Thompson is the real deal. She is a truly talented writer and her illustrator captures the spirit of Potter's original paintings to perfection!
Christina
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Christina by: PW starred review
I've been curious about this book for a while. I love Emma Thompson's work as an actress, and she did a good job creating a children's book. The illustrations by Eleanor Taylor (who should have gotten cover credit) were lovely. But the story feels like a modern one--though featuring Potter's characters, the plot didn't feel like her work.
Carrie Griffin
This was nowhere as good as the original Peter Rabbit stories and went on much longer than the kids were able to focus on. It still holds the whimsy of the originals and the illustrations are pretty spot-on. Nothing will beat Beatrix Potter's tales though.
Patti
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Actually, it's the accompanying CD that gets this rating. My 4-year-old granddaughters (and I) love Emma Thomson's reading of her book - delightful!
Dan
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book with a great CD accompanying the book. Emma Thompson does a great job with narration. The CD also includes Scottish accents and music helping to build the story.
Misbah
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Stacy
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A great new story with the same spirit of Beatrix Potter!
Maureen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely follow up tale re Peter Rabbit - wonderful pictures too.
Jessica
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Good word usage and illustrations. I liked that this was longer than just a picture book and not dumbed down, yet kept my 4 year old completely interested.
Brianne
I listened to the audio book and it was so much fun to hear Emma Thompson act out the stories! This was a really fun book and I definitely recommend it!
Taylor Torgrimson
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Emma Thompson does a fantastic job of expanding the plot line of the classic tale of Peter Rabbit. Thompson takes Peter on an adventure after he gets into Mr. McGregor's picnic basket. Peter falls asleep in Mr. McGregor's picnic basket and is taken far away from home. Peter jumps from Mr. McGregor's cart the moment it stops moving and runs into the nearest woodland area. It is here in the woodland area that Peter runs into a cousin rabbit of his, Finlay McBurney. Finlay has gained word that Pete ...more
Andrew
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

I always thought I was a Beatrix Potter fan. I loved Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, Jemima Puddle-Duck, Tom Kitten. I always thought that Mrs Tiggy-Winkle and Mr Jeremy Fisher would make the perfect couple (I have no idea why!). And my favourite tale by Beatrix Potter is The Tailor of Gloucester. So, when I heard that Emma Thompson was writing a "further tale", I decided to do some research... and discovered that I haven't read even half of the Beatrix Potter coll
Jessica Harrison
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, picture
Full review at Cracking the Cover
“The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit” is perfectly in keeping with its predecessors. Both the story and the illustrations are charming. At more than 60 pages, it’s longer than most picture books, but the text is sparse and simple, which makes it feel shorter than it is.

This edition also comes with a CD recording by Emma Thompson. And while I thoroughly enjoyed how the actress/screenwriter/author brought the characters to life, I did have some issues with the recordi
Melinda
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have two confessions about this book. First of all, I decided to read it to my kids based solely on the fact that Emma Thompson wrote it. I adore Emma Thompson and I've always felt that she had a good way of relating to children.

Secondly, and this may be a bit blasphemous, but I enjoyed this book far more than any book written by Beatrix Potter. I remember not especially liking the original books as a child and was rather aghast to discover how harsh they could be when I re-read them to my own
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: Further Peter Rabbit 3 145 Jun 24, 2013 04:35PM

• Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world
  • Ducktective Quack and the Cake Crime Wave
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • Ghoulia / Mortina
  • Lois Looks for Bob at Home
  • Veera Virtanen ja kiusaaja (Viisi villiä Virtasta,#11)
  • Confessions of a Bookseller
  • The October Faction, Vol. 1
  • Cecily Parsley's Nursery Rhymes
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • The Invisible String
Emma Thompson is an Emmy-, BAFTA-, Golden Globe- and two time Academy Award-winning English actress, comedian, and screenwriter. She is also a patron of the Refugee Council.

Peter Rabbit (3 books)