Start by marking “Trivium 21c: Preparing Young People for the Future with Lessons From the Past” as Want to Read:
Trivium 21c: Preparing Young People for the Future with Lessons From the Past

Trivium 21c: Preparing Young People for the Future with Lessons From the Past

Universities in the Middle Ages focused on three skills to develop the intellectual abilities of students, one - grammar, two - logic, and three - rhetoric. In this well-researched and fascinating work discover how these three tenets are as relevant in education today as they were eight hundred years ago.

Martin Robinson has taught for twenty years in state schools in
Published September 17th 2013 by Independent Thinking Press (first published March 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Trivium 21c, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trivium 21c

Start your review of Trivium 21c: Preparing Young People for the Future with Lessons From the Past
Michael Layden
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education, favorites
I found this a highly useful book. Martin Robinson is a teacher himself and has excelled in his field. As is common with all great teachers he is driven to try and understand what works and what doesn't more than most. The birth of his daughter has greatly focused his interest in the role of education and it's practical application. This deep interest has led him on a highly productive quest.
He has returned to the basic Trivium of grammar, logic and rhetoric.

His journey brings him from
Tonia
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Martin Robinson's Trivium 21c is the story of his quest to discover the foundations of classical education and whether it's tenets can be used in our present day school system. Through a variety of interviews with noted educators and his own study, we get a glimpse of his discoveries.

His book is focused on the trivium - grammar, dialectic, and rhetoric. While he does mention the quadrivium as well, this work focuses specifically on the trivium, and it's proponents and dissenters. He discusses
Diarmuid Fogarty
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
great introduction to the Trivium. I will need to go back and re-read to get a good grip on some of the ideas, but the book provided a fascinating framework and inspired me to read more about rhetoric. Now need to look at applying the insight to my own practice.
Mark
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, it was useful in my current research into the trivium for my own teaching practice. The book is thorough although I would have liked it to have touched on some of the conspiracies linked to the trivium. In all, very good.
Zeba Clarke
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very worthwhile exploration of what schools should be doing, whether there is a canon, how to create a balanced approach to education and how students should emerge from full time education. Highly recommended - very balanced, thoughtful and engaging.
Christopher Beckett
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in education, philosophy, classicism and teaching. Every page is entertaining, informative and thought-provoking, and has helped shaped my own pedagogy.
Rose
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
really interesting ideas about education and the tradition/innovation conflict, but probably didn't need a book-length explanation
Wouter
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education, english
Thought changing material. Gives guidance and meaning for education at the start of the 21st century.

Might be tough at points to get through, but it is profound and practical.
Al
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting attempt to bridge the traditionalist-progressive divide in education by going back to not just underlying values but also a look at how education has changed. Written in a very discursive way , it could have perhaps benefitted from some editing. However an immensely valuable book and one I think I will need to read again.
Matt
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Robinson's central idea of 'progressive traditionalism' in education is excellent, but his exposition of that idea desperately needs focus, follow-through, and editing.
Brian Mcleish
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Agent Running in the Field
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Albatross
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3)
  • Seven Myths about Education
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • The Learning Rainforest: Great Teaching In Real Classroom
  • The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric
  • The Way of Men
  • Poems (Shambhala Pocket Classics)
  • Theogony / Works and Days
  • The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays
  • How Things Work Encyclopedia
  • The Tempest
  • The Devil Knows Latin: Why America Needs the Classical Tradition
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • American Legends: The Life of Stanley Kubrick