Start by marking “The Deep Blue Sea” as Want to Read:
The Deep Blue Sea

The Deep Blue Sea

Terence Rattigan's greatest play is a masterpiece of twentieth century drama. First performed in 1952, The Deep Blue Sea was inspired by the suicide of a young actor whom Rattigan had loved. This edition was reissued to coincide with Terence Davies' 2011 film version, a highly acclaimed cinematic triumph.
Published October 27th 2011 by Nick Hern Books (first published January 28th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Deep Blue Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deep Blue Sea

Bettie☯

Description: The Deep Blue Sea opens with the failed suicide of Hester Collyer, who has deserted her husband for the raffish charms of an ex-fightor pilot. During the play we watch her wrestle with the intensity of her love-and lust-for the younger man, who is having his own problems adjusting to post-war life.
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie
From BBC Radio 3 - Drama on 3:
Terence Rattigan's celebrated 1952 play. It is post-war Britain and Hester Collyer has left her husband, an eminent judge, to be with Freddy, an ex-RAF pilot with no prospects. The passion she feels for this younger man is not returned by him, and the play opens as Hester, in a state of despair, has attempted suicide.

Directed by David Timson
A Ukemi production for BBC Radio 3

First broadcast 01/02/2009.

A movie was made based on
Daisy Leather
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rattigan writes people - real, raw and flawed. He observes and comments on the human condition in such a beautifully tragic way.
P.S. Winn
This is actual a play and I think this playwright was not just a troubled individual, but ahead of his time in his thinking. Sadly, the times he lived in didn't recognize his life style, nor his anguish.
Steve Mayer
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As entertaining and moving to read as it was to watch.
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Hester Collyer loves Freddie Page. She loves him so much she left her husband Bill to run away with Freddie to Canada, where he worked as a test pilot. She loves him so much she tries to kill herself when he forgets her birthday. She loves him so much she cannot bear the thought that he does not love her as much as she loves him.

So goes "The Deep Blue Sea." The play starts with Hester's failed suicide attempt, which is discovered by her landlady and another tenant who smell gas. While the premi
Catie Middleton
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far one of the most beautiful plays I have ever read. It is such a simply told story, and yet is so dramatic and hits you like a brick. I was breathless by the end of it. The movie was fantastic, and stayed very close to the play, which was a true blessing, because if Terence Davies hadn't I would have had to send a letter. An absolute classic. Loved every second of it.
Lisa
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terribly depressing (like the film) yet this got me reading more of his work like Harlequinade and The Browning Version.
Amy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I so wanted the ending to go the other way, but it couldn't.
Kyc
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good play which, however, doesn't deserve the epithet "great", if only because of the trappings of a "well made play" made its limitations evident. The premise and theme are captivating: sexual desire and repressed feelings amid a failed suicide, but this play, commonly held to be Rattigan's best, still cannot escape from the failures of the "well-made play" convention. The embers of desire should burn more ferociously than in this conversational piece between a woman caught between her ...more
Anton Segers
Rattigan tekent in kwaliteitsvolle dialogen hoe het hart en het verlangen een dwaas van ons maakt, hoe we onze eigenwaarde vergooien in de liefde.
Dit stuk mist wellicht wat variatie, maar het blijft boeien. Rattigan gebruikt de Britse stiff upper lip en de droge understatements om de wereld van emoties eronder op te roepen: ondergewaardeerd en te vroeg als ouderwets geklasseerd kwaliteitsdrama.
Elizabeth
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the most underrated plays from the 20th century, and Hester has to be one of the great parts. For the year it was published, 1953, I’m blown away at the depth that it handles depression, suicide, patriarchy, and the economic/social limitations women face. Wow. Just wow.
Aiswarya
Miller's final words to Hester are deeply moving.But even his friendship does not save her in the end.
Lauren
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few months ago, Rachel Weisz was on The Daily Show and drama geeked out when talking about her newest movie, an adaptation of this play. As a recovering drama geek, I loved seeing an actress of Ms. Weisz’s caliber acting like fifteen-year-old me after I first read David Ives (Seriously, he’s brilliant). I’m interested to see the movie now, because, as it is, this is a play that’s meant to be performed live, in front of an audience. It’s an intimate story that takes place in one day, in one roo ...more
Sukanya
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Achingly beautiful.

The braveness it takes to ask someone to love one back, even as things rapidly unravel. The humilty of putting one's dignity in the hands of the other, hoping against hope that it is returned intact. The braveness in revealing one's vulnerability to the one and only one who can take advantage of it. To be in that unique position to take advantage of and be taken advantage of. To refuse and to be refused. To be broken by love and to be inspired by the one spurned.

Rarely do we
Simon Gibson
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
We finished a read through for this last week and I was legitimately so impressed! The writing is so economic and completely drives the themes forward. It doesn't seem like any of the characters are redundant or any of the exchanges used to fill time - everything allows discussion of a very serious topic in a time where discussion of it would be discouraged. The whole thing is really uplifting by the conclusion as well, that last scene with Miller melts my heart. It's a wonderful read from start ...more
Lenali
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know who was Rattigan nor had I ever heard about his work before watching the film adaptation of this play ,starring Rachel Weisz (incredible actress!).
I am still blown away by its subtlety and complexity. It is a play where even complexity is repressed, which is just brillant, and I appreciate that it is neither melodramatic or over-written. I love it because even if the subject has been written about for centuries, it still manages to ring so completely honest and true it makes your
Jess Edwards
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won't lie. I read this play mainly due to my obsession with Tom Hiddleston (who plays Freddie Page in the 2011 film adaption). However, I now am absolutely in love with this play. I like it better than the film adaption in fact. I've reread it again and again, and am constantly staggered by the emotional impact Terence Rattigan creates in such a short amount of words, with only dialogue and a one-room stage setting. It's definitely worth a read.
Flurry
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very thought-provoking exploration into the different types of love. I found it interesting that both Hester and Sir William did love each other, but in different ways and that Hester's explosive passionate love was not even the same love as Freddie's passion.
Brian
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was great. The play -- inspired on events in Rattigan's life -- opens with the failed suicide of a woman caught in a love triangle. Wonderfully paced and naturally written.
Meg McGrady

• John
  • The Madness of George III
  • Jerusalem
  • Posh
Sir Terence Mervyn Rattigan, CBE was a British dramatist. He was one of England's most popular mid twentieth century dramatists. His plays are typically set in an upper-middle-class background. He is known for such works as The Winslow Boy (1946), The Browning Version (1948), The Deep Blue Sea (1952) and Separate Tables (1954), among many others.

A troubled homosexual, who saw himself as an outside
“But the world is a dark enough place for even a little flicker to be welcome.” 10 likes
“To see yourself as the world sees you may be very brave, but it can also be very foolish.” 8 likes