Start by marking “Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer” as Want to Read:
Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer

Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer

As the former food and restaurant critic for The New York Times and the author of several distinguished cookbooks, Craig Claiborne has earned a reputation as the great educator of the American palate. In this classically elegant and profusely illustrated book of recipes and techniques, he imparts the kind of culinary knowledge that is essential to making any dish -- from a ...more
Published June 29th 1993 by Wings (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer

Start your review of Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer
Gary Singleton
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a middle-aged fella that needed to learn to cook this book was a Godsend. It covers so many of the basics that other books either don't cover or hide. This and a 1970s Joy of Cooking are my most used culinary books. There are a few things that are a bit out of date but not much considering it's almost 50 years old. Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything - The Basics is also a handy, updated, companion but this old stalwart is still incredibly useful.
^
First Edition. No ISBN. Library of Congress Card Number 68-23951.
pages 10+258+16.

I wish I'd had a copy of this book when I first started to cook; though I perhaps had the next best thing: my maternal grandmother (who taught me how to make shortcrust pastry) and my mother (who encouraged me to experiment).

The pages and spine of this book are sufficiently wide for it to be laid flat for easy reference on the kitchen worktop. Two well-chosen typefaces (Caslon and Century Expanded) have been used,
Joyce McCombs
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am so tempted to make the terrible pun that this book is "easily digested"... argh.. I guess I just DID make it. It's for both newbies and foodies who hang in the kitchen and even those of us who've chopped a mile of onions have some new things to learn from Master Craig.
Barb
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to understand cooking.
Shelves: modern_cookery, own
This book taught me how to cook. Sadly, I loaned it out many years ago and it is now lost forever. It's lessons stay with me, though. I'll never again confuse a rib of celery and a stalk of celery. This must be a reissued edition, as I know I first read it as a new bride in 1979.
Bill
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just a terrific little cookbook. If I had to start cooking and only had one book for instruction, this would see me through a lunch for myself or a Christmas Dinner!
Gib
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learn how to boil an egg! Really!
Megan
Margaret Doherty
Dec 27, 2016
Doug Ducap
Apr 18, 2009
Craig Claiborne was a restaurant critic, food writer and former food editor of the New York Times. He was the author of numerous cookbooks and an autobiography. Over the course of his career, he made many contributions to gastronomy and food writing in the United States.