Start by marking “Alexander McQueen: Evolution” as Want to Read:
Alexander McQueen: Evolution

Alexander McQueen: Evolution

From Jack the Ripper Stalks His Victims, his 1992 graduate collection, to Plato's Atlantis, the last show before his death in 2010, Lee Alexander McQueen was as celebrated for the exquisite tailoring, meticulous craftsmanship, and stunning originality of his designs as he was notorious for his theatrical—and often controversial—runway shows. McQueen found inspiration for h ...more
Published October 15th 2012 by Race Point Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Alexander McQueen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alexander McQueen

Start your review of Alexander McQueen: Evolution
Julie
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, art
A stunning visual journey through his life's work.
Céline
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un magnifique hommage pour un génie parti trop tôt.

Must read.
Jaimie
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While I would have liked to see more pictures of McQueen's creations (where is the book that has everything?) I very much appreciated the chronological format and careful photo choices that make up this book. It is rare that we see a fashion book that presents a designer's collections in such an organized fashion, so it is very much applauded when it happens. Maybe it's a format that only works for short-lived designers with a finite body of work (the other example I've seen chronologizes Dior's ...more
Susannah
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pictorial
This book chronicles every McQueen fashion show since his graduate collection. It is great to have an overview of every collection he produced, and the drama and theatrics that went with them. The only downside is that I wanted to see more pictures of the clothes!
Lauren
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like several of the books out on McQueen this one is divided up by taking a chronological look at each of his fashion shows and their accompanying themes. What I really enjoyed about this book in particular is the inclusion of a description of the shows' invitations and the carefully chosen venue for the events as well as the prominent critical reviews following each show.
Mikaila Quinn
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I love McQueen so much and pretty much anything about him. This book helped me get a closer look at collections that I never was able to see or find on the internet. I do wish that there were more pictures, the author described a lot of outfits but I wish that she had photos to match the descriptions. I did love the inside look at each show and she added little things like what the invitation looked like that helped me get a better understanding of just how articulate and amazing Alexander McQue ...more
Beth
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A chapter dedicated to each of McQueen's collections, discussing not only his amazing clothes but also the unique invitation, setting, ambiance, soundtrack, inspiration, and critics and the public's reactions to each collection. I wish the book had more photos showing more looks from each of the shows, as the clothes are absolutely stunning. McQueen was an absolute genius.
Viktoria Tomcheva
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lord
Sierra Dean
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice overview of McQueen's career that really DOES show his evolution.
Antonia
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fashion
“I want to be the purveyor of a certain silhouette or a way of cutting, so that when I’m dead and gone people will know that the twenty-first century was started by Alexander McQueen.”
-Alexander McQueen

Indeed McQueen is a genius is fashion. I only wished this book collection had a section with his designs for celebrities as those were the most visible part of his creativeness.

Elaine
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an eye-catching coffee table book! Alexander Mcqueen has always been a favourite of mine and this book truly captures his genius talent and evolution through the years. Filled with beautiful photos and just the right amount of text, I think this book is great for any fashion lover or anyone who wants to learn about his work.
Brooke
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This beautiful book follows the evolution of Alexander Mcqueen through his collections. I was pleased that there was little commentary on his personal life and the clothing was allowed to take center-stage. The only thing I would change about this book is that I was left wanting more images of the clothing. Although, to include every piece would have resulted in an unrealistically enormous book.
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, non-fiction, fashion
Beautiful book. It seems to cover almost or all of McQueen's shows during his lifetime. I would have loved more photos of outfits and pieces per section, but I do think this amount was enough to be satisfied.
Acacia
Jun 17, 2015 added it
awesome and awe inspiring. read savage beauty as well. fashion design is so much more... the butterfly hat is one of the best, and the girl who lived in the tree collection amazed!
Erika
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Alexander McQueen I wish I had known more about him before he passed. This book is a comprehensive look at every runway show ever did. If you are an Alexander McQueen fan check this out.
Yaritza
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Had amazing pictures of Alexander McQueen's fashion shows. Really portrayed the person he was.
Anneleen
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
"I get my ideas out of my dreams...if you're lucky enough to use something you see in a dream, it is purely original. It's not in the world- it's in your head." - Alexander McQueen
Pam Ward
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Face It
  • How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, and Bad Habits
  • The Sick Bag Song
  • How to Build a Girl (How to Build a Girl, #1)
  • Fashion Central Saint Martins
  • The Bermondsey Bookshop: A heart-wrenching saga of love and loss in 1920s London
  • Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them
  • Biba: The Biba Experience; Based on the PARI Collection
  • Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty
  • Kick Me in the Traditions
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • La vuelta al mundo en 44 días
  • Orlando
  • Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry
  • The 1950s and 1960s
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • The Silk Roads: A New History of the World
  • Bad Boys of Fashion: Style Rebels and Renegades Through the Ages
Katherine Gleason has written more than 30 books for young people and adults, including Alexander McQueen: Evolution and the forthcoming Anatomy of Steampunk: The Fashion of Victorian Futurism. She particularly enjoys writing and reading about animals, ancient cultures, and faraway places. Her love of travel has taken her all over the world, and she has, in fact, visited all seven of Earth's conti ...more

News & Interviews