Start by marking “Whole Grains for a New Generation: Light Dishes, Hearty Meals, Sweet Treats, and Sundry Snacks for the Everyday Cook” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Whole Grains for a New Generation: Light Dishes, Hearty Meals, Sweet Treats, and Sundry Snacks for the Everyday Cook takes a fresh and creative perspective on the latest major cooking trend: whole grains. Liana Krissoff presents delicious recipes for modern everyday cooks and kitchens. With supermarket-friendly ingredients, simple directions, and a warm, accessible voice, ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Whole Grains for a New Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whole Grains for a New Generation

Celia
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I haven't had time to do a full review, but I do enjoy having this book on my shelf. I don't eat a ton of grains, and have to eat gluten-free, so I wasn't sure how well I'd enjoy Krissoff's new book. I got it at a deep discount on Amazon, though, with hopes that I would get a little something out of it.

(Note: I have Canning for a New Generation, which is probably my favorite book on preserving.)

The new book is more than I hoped for. Krissoff does go into detail at the beginning of the book about
Marilyn
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I "read" this book because I'm a member of the From Scratch Club here on GoodReads. (The parentheses around "read" are because I read the pertinent info, cover to cover, but certainly not every recipe!) I'm looking forward to cooking some dishes from it. It's beautifully done, detailed in how-to category for both what the grains are, what they're good for, how to prepare them and ever so much more. There are even a few grains I've never heard of before (very few) and many I've never tried cookin ...more
Rachel
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't eat as healthy as I should, so when I can find new ways to get whole grain, fruits and veggies into my diet, I jump at the chance. This is a very extensive cookbook. First, the author tells you about each grain featured, how to cook them and ways to serve them. Then there's the actual recipes. I'm one of the weird people who actually like oatmeal and the author offers up so many different topping combinations, I don't think I'd ever get bored. I've never really cooked with black rice, qu ...more
Mrs Elizabeth Mills
If you are looking for a basic cookbook this is not it.

If you like southwestern cuisine, I have no palate for it, Thai, Middle Eastern or anywhere but 'let's do what this title says' cookbook then go for it. I was looking for a cookbook to help me incorporate whole grains into my diet on an everyday level. The look inside nor the title gave any indication that I was going to be given an international culinary tour in order to do so.

I think the title is misleading and naturally you don't see any
Jessica
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved Krissoff's Canning book, glad to have discovered this as well. Tried the turkey and brown rice stuffed cabbage, buckwheat pancakes, sweet potato, millet, and edamame stew, baked oatmeal and enjoyed them all. Excited that she includes a variety of types of cuisines, Ethiopian, Indian, southern style. When you have read as many cookbooks as I have it is glorious to find something new and different. Quickly becoming one of my favorite cookbooks.
Aja Marsh
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, food
Awesome. One of the few cookbooks I have actually read all of the intro chapters for and throughly looked at. She has unique and interesting recipes for whole grains in here that break the "rules" and staid ways of thinking about healthy food. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to do more with whole grains or break out of brown rice ruts!
Billie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
YUM. Plenty of whole grain kitchen inspiration. :)
Michelle
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't made any of the recipes yet but they are very appealing. I really like the book itself - the organization and that the recipes are clearly labeled as vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free.
Khristiey
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this one is a must for the healthy kitchen. explains basics on every grain you can think of. fantabulous!
lisa
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Good info on whole grains, and good recipes to have on hand.
Beka
May 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of good information for people who don't know where to begin with whole grains. For my taste, the book needed a LOT more pictures.
Kathie
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Some pretty good ideas, some redos of some old ideas.
Apr 27, 2016
May 28, 2015
Paige Patterson
Jan 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
FSC Book Club: {WELCOME} Introductions & Reading Schedule 36 83 Jul 21, 2013 05:43PM
FSC Book Club: {MEETING 3} Oats & Farro 48 42 Jul 08, 2013 05:11AM
FSC Book Club: {MEETING 7} Amaranth, Sorghum, Teff & Wheat 14 28 Jun 09, 2013 08:33AM
FSC Book Club: {MEETING 6} Corn & Wheat Berries 16 24 Jun 03, 2013 03:31PM