Start by marking “How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)” as Want to Read:
How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)

How Mirka Met a Meteorite

(Hereville #2)

Mirka is back, and this time she takes on a misguided meteor who's been set in motion by the troll and turned into Mirka's twin by the witch. Doppelganger Mirka is out to best the real girl. Our heroine will have to beat her own other self in a three-part challenge...or be banished from Hereville!
Published October 31st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about How Mirka Met a Meteorite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Mirka Met a Meteorite

Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: BOOKSALE!^^

The last time I read a comic book, uh, I mean graphic novel (in sophisticated fonts) was ages ago when they were still simply called comic books. I almost forgot how enjoyable they were until this cute book. It’s a witty, charming and really funny middle school story about Mirka, an 11 year old Jewish girl, her adventures and her explorations mostly of her identity.

The graphics are awesome and hilarious, I kept snorting in laughter. Here’s a preview.:

I was surprisingly affected by Mirka’s int
Rachel Maniacup
This graphic novel wasn't in my tbr list, but when my sister handed this book to me this morning(to pass it to my daughter),as I was checking the cover..I couldn't resist but look at the cute graphics that made me flip some more pages until I was actually reading it already!lol!

Surprisingly,It was an enjoyable read! I loved the storyline 'cause it was charming and hilarious! And though this is the second book from the Hereville series,you wouldn't mind not having read the first one,because this
Sesana
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great follow up to the first volume. I still love Mirka herself. She's a character with a lot of fire, and though she can be a little self-centered and has problems listening to and taking advice, her heart is (often) in the right place. And her stepmother, Fruma, has really grown on me.

The story is kind of basic, but Deutsch has applied a lot of imagination to the specifics. His troll looks like no other troll I've ever seen. I strongly suspect that the story was partly inspired by Stardust,
Deborah Markus
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second "Hereville" book, and I was relieved to see it's just as good as the first. I'm also glad that it answers some questions from the previous story while leaving some open. Barry Deutsch is carefully crafting a story for us, and it's one that will take more than one book to tell.

In this volume, Mirka - an Orthodox Jewish girl with a sword she won in battle and a rebellious streak a mile wide - gets to have more adventures and solve more problems using her wits as well as her stre
Olga Godim
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I’m not a fan of graphic novels, and this book didn’t change my opinion of them, although I liked it. Charming and humorous, it seems a perfect little volume for kids in elementary and middle school. It took me a couple of hours to finish, and I did have fun while reading the story. It was original and funky, if a bit didactic, but I kept wondering if I might’ve liked it more, had it been written as text with a few illustrations.
I suppose some pictures enhanced the story. The troll was definite
Kaethe
My 10-year-old managed to get her read in before me. We both love Mirka, who is strong, and smart, and troublesome. I really enjoy the way Deutsch shows the normality of Mirka's orthodox community, and how that influences the characters, but not exactly the plot. This is some very grounded fantasy. Go, Mirka, you flail about vigorously with your sword, girl.

Library copy.
Dov Zeller
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mirka and her siblings, a strange predicament, an interesting witch cameo, a nice not-so-evil step-mother, a troll who's probably watched too many Woody Allen movies, some Yiddish, a meteor-turned-doppelganger, and some great problem-solving (how to keep Shabbat under difficult and fable-y circumstances, how to beat a very talented meteor-turned-human-ish in a contest.) I enjoyed this book. I wish the witch would have been in here a little more, and that I could relate to Mirka a little more, bu ...more
Eilonwy

RTC. Just as good as the first one, and possibly slightly weirder. These books are so unexpected!
Savannah Phipps
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wow-books
Oh my goodness. This book was hilarious! I picked it up feeling iffy, but boy did this book prove itself! How Mirka Met a Meteorite is the second installment of the Hereville series and was an awesome sci-fi read. I would definitely use it to talk about the different kinds of texts we encounter as readers, (as it is a graphic novel) and how when reading a graphic novel there is a lot the author communicates to us within the pictures and how those illustrations add to the meaning. I could also se ...more
Leslie
Thanks to Abrams and NetGalley I got a sneak peek at the sequel to Barry Deutsch’s Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword. It should be noted that the advanced copy/peek was pre-color and still sketched at the end, so I cannot speak to the color throughout or any detailing toward the end, but I can say that it is drawn and formatted consistent to the first book (that is good news, by the way). Love the cover.
————————————————————-
How Mirka Met a Meteorite picks up after the events in the first, unsur
Dani Shuping
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
ARC provided by NetGalley

Although the first volume of Mirka wasn’t my favorite book of the year, I did find it interesting and was pleased to see a sequel was/is coming out as Mirka provides a unique point of view to readers. It’s a different environment than most folks are accustomed to reading about it (I know it was for me) and I like that she’s a strong female character.

Mirka is back. She’s still a sword-brandishing, monster-fighting girl...and she’s still grounded from her last adventure of
Ray-ray
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
"How Mirka Met A Meteorite" from the "Hereville" series, is a riveting book written by the author Barry Duetsch. This book is a graphic novel about a young orthodox Jewish girl named Mirka. Mirka is all about fighting evil and becoming a hero, but she is faced with the biggest fight of all, against herself. Mirka won a sword in the first book, and when she goes to collect it, the troll she won it from casts a meteorite to come and crush Earth. Mirka runs to the witch that helped her defeat the t ...more
Shira Glassman
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who want female-centered fantasy or Jewish fantasy
Another cute volume about a young Orthodox Jewish girl having supernatural adventures in her home town and the adjoining woods. What's cool about these books to me, beyond the obvious (Women-centered Jewish SFF!), is that the plots aren't just modernized versions of familiar and therefore predictable folk tales, but completely new and unpredictable stories that nevertheless use the ethos of those old stories to resolve their conflicts.

At the core, this one is about a supernatural double of the p
Meghann (Becoming Books)
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is book to in the Hereville graphic novel series and Mirka is just as dramatic as ever. I really, really enjoyed this storyline. Searching for her place at school and home, Mirka dives into mischief with a troll and a witch. No good can come of this! Mirka instead must face the reality of her dealings while connecting with her family and faith. These could easily be very heady topics but Deutsch intertwines with storyline with humor, Jewish culture, bits of Yiddish (and their translations) ...more
Lisa
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yay for Mirka! I'm so happy to see the adventures of my favorite sword-wielding, Orthodox Jewish comic book character continue! (Though I'm not sure how much of a distinction that is--the only competition that comes to mind is Judith in comic book versions of the Torah.)

Thoughts on sequels - I feel like the "witch" keeps hinting that eventually Mirka is going to struggle with her Judaism and come to the witch for guidance, but the comic books seems so positive about Orthodox Judaism that I'm not
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 5 stars
Art: 5 stars

Children's graphic novel with Orthodox Jewish characters and some fantasy elements thrown into the mix. Characterization is superb. Story line is interesting. Very original series. Art is above average.

I've never encountered a children's book that incorporates religion so well into the story. The Jewish-ness isn't just an incidental part of the characters to add some flavor; it defines who the characters are. The Jewish customs and culture are woven tightly into the plo
Paul  Hankins
I got to see the Advanced Reader Copy at NetGalley. Much of the artwork was unfinished which makes me looking forward even more to October when I can finally see the finished copy. Looking at the ARC is like looking into Barry's artistic process.

A sword, a troll, a meteorite, a magical transformation, a Mirka doppelganger, a contest that will have a winner. . .and a loser who will have to leave Hereville forever.

A longer review to come with the finished project in October, but put this one on y
Elizabeth Andrew
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I LOVE THESE BOOKS! Not only is there a kick-ass female character who's absolutely human; not only is there reverence for old-world culture and playful embracing of the new; not only are there fantastically fresh voyages into magical realms; not only are the relationships complicated and unexpected; but there's ALSO deep faith permeating everything--the world, the characters, and the PLOT, which I almost never see in any books, much less kids' books. BRILLIANT!
Andy
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars - As much as I enjoyed the first Hereville book, this second installment needs no laying of the groundwork that slowed down the first volume. As such, How Mirka Met a Meteorite contains a more compelling story with more depth than the introductory volume. Very eager to read the newest volume.
Chris
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This volume finds Mirka fighting a meteor who. . well I don’t want to ruin it. But I love this series for its depiction of religious people and a close family. Honestly, this is a great series for anyone. It isn’t only Mirka who is the strong one in the family. Different kinds of strength and intelligence are shown. It’s quite lovely.
John
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
That "meteorite" turns out to be Mirka's double--but not her EXACT double....

I think this second outing is little more preachy than the prequel, with a closing slip into metafiction that's a shade coy. It's still funny, sweet, scary and wonderful in many, many ways.
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I for one am not a huge fan of graphic novels because pricey but I saw this one at Booksale and I don't regret buying it. I like Mirka and the creativity if the story. The illustrations are superb and very colorful. Will definitely be on the hunt for Book 1.
Nilsson
Dopplegangers are trouble. I'm glad Mirka won the challenge and put it in its place. What a nuisance.
GraceAnne
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
As much fun, and with as much wisdom, as the first one. I only didn't love it as much as the first one because I loved the first one beyond description.
Monica Edinger
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yay! Wondered if this would be as excellent as the first and it was!
Salamah
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Mirka is at it again with her adventures in Hereville. This story was not better than book 1 and2 but it still was a good read. Some of the same characters in the first book appear in this one and there are some funny parts. The story is a little silly with a meteorite falling from the sky that turns into something she at first thinks is wonderful but in the end she learns it is not really. Deutsch has several morals and lessons ingrained within the text which I always enjoy. Another fun read! I ...more
Sylvia McIvers
How would you like the witch to give you a twin - one who is smarter, better, faster than you? She's really nice, though: she only wants half of Mirka's life. Half her meals, half her classes, half her basketball games - how will a nice Orthodox Jewish girl get her life back?

And what does it mean that Mirka doesn't like her better self very much?

Mirka starts the book with hating to knit (just like last book.) Knitting will be pretty important, later (just like last book).

Playing chess with her s
Laurian
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I kept seeing this book pop up on my lists as recommended. It is definitely targeted at 10 year olds, but when I saw it at the library the other week, I picked it up anyway. It is pretty high on the cute meter and it also had some really thoughtful themes that were presented in an approachable way. While it is not Zita, it was still beautifully constructed and made me wish books like this had existed when I was 8-10.
Kelcey
Another fun installment in the series. I felt like this one had more action/plot and moved a little quicker than the last (I know, I know, the first book has to set-up everything...), but also stuck to the message of figuring who you want to be and that you are your own best you. Anyhow, as I said, a great Telgemeier read-alike!
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series. I like how impetuous and immature the young protagonist is and how much she is able to learn from these strange situations. Her whole family of orthodox Jews have their own distinct places and personalities and the world they live in is in many ways different but in many ways just the same.

I look forward to more :)

Enjoy!
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade (Hilda, #3)
  • The Captive Prince (Three Thieves, #3)
  • Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity
  • Little White Duck : A Childhood in China
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • Rutabaga the Adventure Chef (Adventure Chef #1)
  • Big Bad Ironclad! (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #2)
  • A Bag of Marbles
  • Victory (Resistance, #3)
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Around the World
  • Lowriders in Space (Lowriders in Space, #1)
  • Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust

Hereville (3 books)
  • How Mirka Got Her Sword (Hereville #1)
  • How Mirka Caught a Fish (Hereville #3)
“My mother once told me, when you have to make a decision, imagine the person you want to become someday. Ask yourself, what would that person do?” 15 likes