Start by marking “Hikaru no Go, Vol. 9: The Pro Test Begins (Hikaru no Go, #9)” as Want to Read:
Hikaru no Go, Vol. 9: The Pro Test Begins (Hikaru no Go, #9)

Hikaru no Go, Vol. 9: The Pro Test Begins (Hikaru no Go #9)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  936 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
THE PRO TEST BEGINS

Practicing at Go salons is turning out to be more fun than Hikaru thought. But at one salon, he meets his match in Suyong Hong, a sullen 12-year-old who is studying for the pro test in his native Korea. By mistake, Hikaru insults Suyong, and now the only way they can settle their differences is by playing a grudge match!
Published April 3rd 2007 by VIZ Media LLC (first published October 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hikaru no Go, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hikaru no Go, Vol. 9

David
I've been burning through this series lately, so my ratings are kind of relative to other volumes, and maybe not so much relative to what I read in general. So "5 stars" for a volume of Hikaru no Go means it's one of my favorite volumes in the series. The overall rank of the series I'd put at about 4 or 4.5 right now.

Anyway, I liked volume 9, The Pro Test Begins, because it's really showing how Hikaru is progressing, and also brings in some new conflicts.

First, Hikaru is 14 now, which means abou
Ben Nash
This story is comfort food for me. I can't quite put my finger on what keeps me rereading/rewatching this and the anime, but my interest in Go certainly helps. I also like that it's a generally positive story about getting good at something.
Scott Lee
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This volume takes place nearly entirely between the rounds of the Pro-Test. After last volume got Hikaru past the preliminaries, this volume focuses nearly entirely on the period between the prelims and the first round of the Pro-Test.

Some nice character work here. Waya, Isumi, and Hikaru go out to go salons in search of the opportunity to play adults and engage in some not quite con work in walking in and offering to take down the best three players they've got. It's kind of...go-sharking to b
Lauren
Not a bad manga, just not my favorite.
Krista
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
この巻は難しかった!

韓国の碁会場の話はとても読みにくい。その話は外国ぽいになるの着掛けは文をカタカナで書いた。読むのは大変だった。

ヒカルは可愛い。好きだよ~
Robert Beveridge
Aug 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Yumi Hotta, Hikaru no Go: The Pro Test Begins (ViZ, 1998)

The pro test is finally here, and Hikaru's ready for it. Meanwhile, Toya, playing in a Go festival, is asked to throw a game he's playing with a minor government official (this seems to be common practice, rather than any sort of ethical violation, as we might see it in America); can he overcome his own pride enough to do it? Hikaru and a couple of his friends start playing against adults in Go salons in order to improve their game, and th
anenko
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love this series more than I would ever have imagined when I first picked it up. I love the art--you can actually see Hikaru and his age-mates maturing during the series--and I love the story.

Hikaru is probably my favourite character, but I still very much like and am rooting for all of the other characters. I want Hikaru to succeed, but the tension of the pro test, and the desperation of all involved in it makes me feel for *everyone.*

I only wish that new volumes of HnG were published a *li
Sophie
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
At the end of this volume, Hikaru's in the middle of taking his pro exam. It's fascinating to see how exciting a series about a boardgame can be - it's great to watch Hikaru grow and I find myself cheering him on as he goes. I also love how some of his fellow students - Waya and Isumi - help him even though they are technically rivals. I love all the main characters, and I love the idea of the chase and how Akira and Hikaru's actions are always connected. This is so much fun, and I can't wait to ...more
Melissa
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, z_nihongo
この巻の中は私が気に入っている対局の1つです。やっぱり、夏休みの間、ヒカルが成長していた。そして、プロ試験が始まった ^o^

This is one of my favorite volumes (and contains one of my favorite matches). I love the growth during the one-month summer vacations!!

Anime-manga match-up:
2nd half of ep 33 = vol 9 up to pg 27 (第70局)
ep 34 = vol 9 pgs 30-95 (第71~73局)
ep 35 = vol 9 pgs 98-130 (第74~75.5局)
ep 36 = vol 9 pgs 131-160 (第75.5~76局)
ep 37 = vol 9 pgs 164-207 (第77~78局)
John
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
One of the most interesting things in this volume is how the Korean characters are depicted, which is more "Asian-looking" than the Insei they're playing against. I hope they bring them back, it's an interesting angle to the world of go. Continue to enjoy how Hikaru changes and gets more self-aware and confident.
Kirsten
Feb 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kirsten by: Librari-Dan
Hikaru's go game continues to improve, and he moves on to the next round of competitions to decide if he will become a professional go player. Totally more exciting than it sounds!
Tom Higgins
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: go players
Shelves: done
Little Shindo keeps chugging on. I still have not succumbed to reading spoilers on wikipedia about just where this is all heading, its a fun ride that I am enjoying.
Nil Patel
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
great
7DanielaH
Jan 03, 2012 is currently reading it
i just starting reading this book but so far just like all the others its a great book
Alicia
Ashley
Oct 29, 2017
Narita
Feb 16, 2012
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 5: New Challenge (The Prince of Tennis, #5)
  • Embracing Love, Vol. 6
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 6
  • Crazy Girl Shin Bia Volume 17
  • Whistle!, Vol. 2
Yumi Hotta (堀田 由美 Hotta Yumi, most often written as ほった ゆみ) is a Japanese mangaka, best known as the author of the best-selling manga and anime series Hikaru no Go, about the game of go that is widely credited for the recent boom of the game in Japan. The idea behind Hikaru no Go began when Yumi Hotta played a pick-up game of go with her father-in-law. She thought that it might be fun to create a ...more
More about Yumi Hotta...

Hikaru no Go (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 1: Descent of the Go Master (Hikaru no Go, #1)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 2: First Battle (Hikaru no Go, #2)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 3: Preliminary Scrimmage (Hikaru no Go, #3)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 4: Divine Illusions (Hikaru no Go, #4)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 5: Start (Hikaru no Go, #5)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 6: The Insei Exam (Hikaru no Go, #6)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 7: The Young Lions Tournament (Hikaru no Go, #7)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 8: The Pro Test Preliminaries: Day Four (Hikaru no Go, #8)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 10: Lifeline (Hikaru no Go, #10)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 11: Fierce Battle (Hikaru no Go, #11)