Start by marking “Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi: My Humble Quest to Heal My Colitis, Calm My ADD, and Find the Key to Happiness” as Want to Read:

As a college freshman business major suffering from a variety of anxiety-related maladies, Brian Leaf stumbled into an elective: yoga. It was 1989. All his classmates were female. And men did not yet generally “cry, hug, or do yoga.” But yoga soothed and calmed Leaf as nothing else had. As his hilarious and wise tale shows, Leaf embarked on a quest for health and happiness ...more
Published October 9th 2012 by New World Library (first published September 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi

Start your review of Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi: My Humble Quest to Heal My Colitis, Calm My ADD, and Find the Key to Happiness
Connie G
Brian Leaf discovered that yoga helped him with several problems due to high anxiety. He was a freshman at Georgetown University when he took his first yoga class. He tells about a cross country trip with a friend where he tried out various forms of yoga, and also had some hilarious adventures along the way. He spent years learning about yoga and meditation, and now teaches yoga and runs a tutoring center for students.

The memoir gives advice about listening to your body and quieting your mind. H
Eugene
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yoga enthusiasts
Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi is organized loosely around Brian’s “Eight Keys to Happiness.” Normally, this sort of thing would cause me to toss a book straight into the recycling bin. I generally dislike pop-psychology or self-help lists — e.g. “Five Keys to Success,” “Ten Steps to a Healthier You,” etc. — as they tend to be unhelpful and unrealistic quick-fixes to very real problems. But in the case of Brian Leaf’s book, his “Eight Keys to Happiness” are not only very reasonable; they a ...more
Callie Di Nello
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rare, I find, are books that make you laugh out load all the way through, coupled with awareness-awakening gems and insights. Recently, however, I had the very great pleasure of receiving a review copy of the Brian Leaf's new book 'Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi' which is published today, Monday 15th October 2012.

All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make, the better ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1842

Brian's commentary is what really makes this book such a joy to read: his eloquent
Frank Jude
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs, yoga, meditation
I'll be writing a fuller review of this book on my blog, but just wanted to record it here as I've just finished it today. This is another of the relatively recent genre of yoga memoirs, and it's perhaps one of the more humorous. Brian Leaf shares his story with whimsy and self-deprecating good humor. At times I sense a bit of the neurotic Woody Allan mashed up with the acerbic Colbert.

Leaf has also attempted to make this memoir a teaching and that has its pros and cons. At times, perhaps, he a
Nicole *{Lady Aribeth}*
2.5

I feel bad giving this book 2 stars. Probably because it is a memoir, and why should I be allowed to judge a person's experiences? However, since I'm giving the writing and the organization of the book 2 stars, rather than Brian's journey, I think it'll be okay. I'm glad that yoga helped calm his ADD, but this book simply made mine flare up. The book jumps around too much, with Leaf trying to talk about the past and present all in one page. It made me feel like I was constantly missing someth
Pam
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are a yoga teacher you will love love love this book
If you are a yoga student you will totally enjoy it and laugh hard.
If you have never done any yoga you will either get yourself to a class and find out what this is all about for yourself or you will quit reading mid way and shake your head and mutter, "That is one weird guy."
Kelli Kiipus
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Witty, funny and easy read
Anita Smith
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book very much. As someone who has been to Kripalu and tries "too hard" to be zen and yogini-like at times, this was a lovely refresher to know I'm not alone and other hippie-wannabes go through the same thing! The only thing that kind of irked me- or maybe I was just jealous- was that the author just had the means to float around, travel, enroll in this institute and that yoga training, rent apartments and rooms wherever he felt like it, enroll in retreats on a whim, did not work c ...more
Samantha Wilde
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brian Leaf is an incredible person, and since I actually know him I can say that and mean it! This book is heartfelt, humorous, thought-provoking, the very best a yoga memoir can be. I have recommended it to all my yoga students. It shares the beauty of the Kripalu tradition and with humility and hilarity, Brian offers spiritual wisdom from an all too human life. I am grateful to know Brian and to have had such a good read! Memoir isn't easy (I stick with fiction for now), but he does it just ri ...more
Xin Ru Toh
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having recently started following yoga videos on YouTube, I wanted to read some memoirs written by yogis, and this was one of the few yogi memoir ebooks available in my library. This was like a more humorous, less detailed, and male version of Eat Pray Love. The author also gave several pieces of advice throughout the book, but did so in a light-handed manner such that it did not feel like a self-help book. All in all, I'm glad yoga practice has improved the author's life; this was a casual but ...more
Heather Arnold
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great concept and I genuinely enjoyed reading this book. It kind of fell flat near the end for me. Ended kind of randomly too. I like some of his quirky experiences and funny stories. He definitely seems to have a lot of discipline to follow his lifestyle. He seems very fortunate to be able to support his many travels and retreats to kripalu, which seems somewhat unattainable to the average person -- could be viewed as a positive or negative.
Rachel Jaffe
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, biography
Just a charming book. Sitting with a friend, hearing about his experiences and life and travels. It was very personal - why yoga/ayurvedic worked for him. If you want to be convinced to do yoga, there's not really rigorous research to convince you. But if you want to know why someone - this particular someone - does, it's there.
Leslie Stately
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved it. It's exactly what I needed at the right time. It's very relatable and encouraging. I'm already implementing some of Brian's suggestions so I can understand why I'm feeling what I'm feeling before reacting. Thanks!
Rita
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How fun! This was enjoyable in a humorous way, and yet was a great introduction to many kinds of yoga and different aspects of yoga. I was entertained by the author and I really cared about him and his ventures.
David
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Somewhat humorous, somewhat entertaining, and somewhat insulting to people with ulcerative colitis or ADD. This book spews a bunch of pseudo science, holistic, woo-woo nonsense. A frustrating albeit slightly interesting read.
Kerry
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, yoga
I read this book while camping -- perfect book for a relaxing weekend where I could think about my practice and enjoy hearing about his adventures and life experiences. I enjoyed all of the recommendations and observations about the yogic lifestyle and his sage advice on living well.
Tessa
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great memoir. Loved his voice and philosophy. Makes me want to get up to Kripalu sooner than later
Lindsay
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-read
Not my jam. And I love all the hippy shit. I’m just a little over the white male perspective on things.
Keith
Fun book on benefits of yoga. Makes me want to be my authentic self all the time. Not easy, since I tend to be a pleaser.
Kimberley
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Chuckled through the whole tale. I got this book in a brown paper “blind date with a book” at my local indie bookshop and am so glad I got this lucky. Fun read and quick.
Connie
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We find in this engaging autobiography that Brian Leaf learns to be "fearless, honest, and relaxed" during his quest for growth and self-discovery. As a result, he writes with that same winning formula; therefore, he presents himself as a reliable narrator--one who neither avoids embarrassing incidents, nor embellishes them to shock his audience. Instead, his memoir is often laugh-out-loud funny as he and his friend take their cross-country pilgrimage to find answers pertinent to their lives.

Thi
C
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it

I wasn't really into most of the memoir and it got a little strange for me in spots, so I admit that here and there I skimmed a few pages. It might have just been wrong time/place for me, I have a stack of juicy looking fantasy and science fiction here begging to be read and the ADHD is pointing me that way. Probably I should do some yoga and calm the heck down.

Even though I didn't really find myself happily adventuring along with Brian on his quest for enlightenment, there are some great insigh
Kat M
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite books I've read in the last few years. It is entertaining, educational and inspiring. It makes me want to do yoga, be more aware of myself in all things, and learn more about Ayurveda. I first read most of this book a few years ago when I first started getting into yoga. I really enjoyed it and reading it motivated me to do yoga more often and try other types of yoga. I don't remember why I didn't finish it before, but I started from the beginning and finally finished ...more
Britt Reints
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The first paragraph reads:

“There’s surely an uneven power dynamic between one person sitting naked on the toilet and the other hovering above in a dark suit. This is especially and egregiously true if the person sitting is pushing to no avail.”

This is not how you would expect a book about a man’s journey to discover inner peace through yoga to begin. But then, Brian really isn’t interested in what anyone expects. His goal is to be his most real self, and his most real self poops in doctor’s off
Desiree
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga
A decent read, marred by the inability of a book of such length to get into the scope of certain things (my question then becomes: why bother? As in the case of Ayurvedic types. The "questionnaire" consists of 6 three-answer questions. None of the options seem to particularly apply to me. This seems to be the least adequate method of determining your type possible. He might have been better served to simply say "find a good book on this, such as" rather than trying to sum up in two pages an enti ...more
Julie
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the alternative healing going on in this book. There remains a deep chasm in-between this readers' comprehension of Brian Leaf's quest and what his parents reeaally may have thought about their Georgetown University graduated son's trek down a path adjacent to the well-worn groove of more obvious success along the route he was to take following a win as a high school debate champ of New Jersey (likely arguing for the opportunity to seek his own bliss). But after all, the book is a story a ...more
Arminzerella
Rachel
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I thought this book was very real, honest, and funny. This guy Brian takes a yoga class in college and continues to pursue yoga, meditation, therapy and enlightenment in various ways which he shares with us in this memoir.
I like that it's not all "I started doing yoga, and now my life is amazing!" Instead he tries many different things, he quits yoga a few times, he has lots of crazy experiences, and he's still learning and practicing. This book shares some great advice that he has learned. The
Elizabeth
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most yoga books, in my experience, have been fairly serious affairs. This one has the sort of self-depricating humour of a Bill Bryson; but there's more good yoga advice in here than many more pedantic volumes.

It's the story of Brian Leaf, who suffered from ulerative colitis when young, which he cured with yoga. This made him a yoga devotee and he illustrates his path to becoming a yoga teacher - and math tutor.

A good part of the book is his story of a road trip across America in a van with a fr
Danielle Berg
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, finished it in a day. I'm biased, because I have so much in common with the author at the beginning of his journey - but then again, I think most people do. Digestively awry, anxious, looking to every one as a potential teacher: Are YOU my guru?

Sure it's about yoga and a spiritual journey, and sure there are lots of books about that, and the standard of good writing usually takes a back seat to the profundity of the content - but this book is one of the good ones. Brian Leaf is
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hell-Bent: Obsession, Pain, and the Search for Something Like Transcendence in Competitive Yoga
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Heart Talk: Poetic Wisdom for a Better Life
  • Hot Yoga MasterClass: Bikram and Hot Yoga Precision Techniques for Beginners to Advanced
  • The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga: The Philosophy and Practice of Yin Yoga
  • The Yin Yoga Kit: The Practice of Quiet Power
  • The Housekeeper
  • Dead Man's Walk (Lonesome Dove, #3)
  • Downward-Facing Death
  • Two Lifestyles, One Lifetime: An Inspiring Journey From Rock-Bottom Hopelessness to Wildly Extravagant Possibility
  • Open Your Heart (Matt Bolster, #2)
  • Dying to Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing