Start by marking “Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals: A Mixed-Media Workshop with Carla Sonheim” as Want to Read:

Rediscover a more child-like approach to creating with Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals! Through fun and creative exercises, Carla Sonheim teaches you to draw a variety of fun animals and creatures, including:

-Dogs

- Birds

- Elephants

- Fish

- Cats

- Rabbits

- And many others

You'll also find a variety of unique mixed-media techniques to help you bring your creatures to
Published October 1st 2012 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals

Start your review of Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals: A Mixed-Media Workshop with Carla Sonheim
Caroline
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The finished picture:

Untitled

The blob I started with:

Posted with pic of Carla Sonheim's book

________________________________________

I am always saying I find it too difficult to draw, and I can't find inspiration. My flickr friend and brilliant cartoonist - Duck Parade Comics - is wonderfully supportive. He suggested that I looked at this book...so I went out and got it.

Basically Sonheim starts off her imaginary animals by drawing or photographing things like spills, blobs, cracks and other random shapes...and from these she makes her
Mir
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mir by: Caroline
Shelves: art

I quite enjoyed this book even though I don't do this sort of art at all (although I do enjoy imagining shapes in things) and will probably never even try most of the ideas or peojects in it. Blobby animals usually aren't my thing but I really liked Sonheim's; they have so much personality! I love their suspicious glares. The artist's tone was really great, too. She came across as friendly and reassuring without being patronizing. She seems like she would be a great person to hang out with,
Natasha
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I have Carla's Drawing lab book (which is also fantastic), and so when I saw this was published I was a little hesitant. I am not overly into animals, or drawing them, and I didn't want a double-up of information. So I was on the sideline, waiting.

Then a little while ago I was doing a search for something at my local library and I saw they had this. So I got a bit excited, and added my name to the waiting list.

Finally it was my turn, and this is so much more than I expected.

Refine Lubis
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I borrowed this book from the library. It is very fortunate for us to find some of good illustration books at our public library in Singapore. I like this book, tough I am not really into this style of drawing. Carla showed us her creative process in the book, where she can just go out there and observe things around her and sketch them. It could be a crack on the wall, spot of water on the road, coffee spill etc. She just sketched the shapes first and revisit them again and change that shape ...more
Jennifer Barber
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
I bought this book on Amazon. I wish I would have waited and looked through it at a bookstore first. The description and reviews made it sound great, but the exercises in the book were a waste of time. I think they might be fun and good practice for an elementary aged student but not for an adult with any experience as an artist.
Nancy
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Great book for warming up creatively. I used this book each morning to work on creating these little characters, it helps take the pressure off trying to create the perfect this and that right out of the artistic gate each morning. Fun book.
Kerry
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a super-fun book that doesn't confine you to material or technique or even expectation. It presents ways to kickstart creativity in a judgment-free way.
Abigail Coble
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
It does what is advertised. My work papers are covered in blobs.
Ruby
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
Same as for her other book on my shelf: Some fun ideas, but the book is very thin on content. Her own art is much more fun than the prompts she writes. I think I would have gotten more by looking at a full book of the author's art. After all, it was her whimsical art that drew me to her books in the first place.

I should have know not to buy a second book. But again, I got sucked in by the whimsy in her own art.
Gaelyn
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my go-to book for inspiration!

Carla Sonheim provides various projects and ideas for artists that want a new way to perceive animals.
The illustrations in the book are fantastic! The layout of the book is very inviting.

Great book overall.
Clark Knowles
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've marked this book as finished but really I've just read the words. I'm looking forward to trying some of the creative prompts and drawing exercises. This seems to suit my kind of doodling and will help ease my transition away from writing while still letting me explore creatively.
Elizabeth A
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, art
I am not a fan of cutesy animals, but do like the whimsical quality of the author's art. This book has projects using various techniques and materials to help you to draw and paint animals that might have gone gone extinct due to natural selection processes.
Jill
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this book, mostly for the cool prompts. My uninitiated art-world family HATE the drawings, but I like them and they fit the style of the book. This is fun. I don't think it is quite as good as Art Lab, but it is right up there. :-)
Christy
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I will probably never draw or paint in this style. But I found it freeing for my sculpting to try adopting similar methods for a few exercises. Ended up with a cute little smudge of a dragon. Well worth flipping through if nothing else.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun little book to loosen up your art and creativity.
Kim
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this one - such creative and inspiring ideas and prompts for journalers at every level. And the book was just plain FUN to work through, too!! Another keeper from Carla Sonheim!
Gina Lento
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on working from your imagination. Really enjoyed the demos and lessons. I have to do more of these in my sketchbooks.
Diana
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zzz-2013, art, non-fiction
Love all the ideas in this book! Wonderful ways to jump-start your creativity!
Rachael Brackett
Jan 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: creative
This was not what I was expecting at all!
Pat Schafer
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book!
Ursula
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and fun. Has lots of ideas for stiimulating creativity and for reinvigurating a rusty artistic mind.
Debra Lowman
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Sonheim shares her creative techniques for artistic doodling. Cute, but not essential.
PWRL

• Penguins of America
  • Collage, Assemblage, and Altered Art: Creating Unique Images and Objects
  • How to Be an Illustrator
  • Co-Mix: A Retrospective of Comics, Graphics, and Scraps
  • Monet: Nomade de la lumière (Contre/Champ)
  • It Spooks: Living in response to an unheard call
  • Brighter Than You Think: 10 Short Works by Alan Moore: With Critical Essays by Marc Sobel
  • Storm for the Living and the Dead: Uncollected and Unpublished Poems