Start by marking “Here We Are” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Here We Are

Dorothy Parker

Here We Are

"Here We Are" is a short story by American writer Dorothy Parker, first published in Cosmopolitan Magazine on March 31, 1931. The story, written almost entirely as dialogue, describes a tense scene between a newly-married couple traveling by train to New York City for the first night of their honeymoon. (from wikipedia)
Unknown Binding
Published (first published March 31st 1931)

Eleni (OverThePlace)
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
It's a short story turned into an one-act play, really acute for its time!
mwpm
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The young man in the new blue suit finished arranging the glistening luggage in tight corners of the Pullman compartment. The train had leaped at curves and bounced along straightaways, rendering balance a praiseworthy achievement and a sporadic one; and the young man had pushed and hoisted and tucked and shifted the bags with concentrated care.
Nevertheless, eight minutes for the settling of two suitcases and a hat-box is a long time.
He sat down, leaning back against bristled green plush, in th
Christina
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, short-story
I listened to an audio version of this 1931 short story well read by Liza Ross. After a brief introduction to set the scene, the story consists of mostly dialogue between a young couple on a train, just 3 hours into their marriage. They keep dancing around the topic of sex without ever actually talking about it. The wife seems nervous and therefore picking fights, while the husband tries to smooth things over in anticipation. They keep going round and round. An interesting snapshot of 1930s life ...more
Sandra  Toll
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun little play about a young newlywed couple at the turn of the 20th century. Tension is high, and emotions are unstable. Will these two consummate their marriage?
Realini
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here we are by Dorothy Parker

Here we are…with a very good short tale. At first look, it may seem light, a tiny comic piece, but it is not. There is a rapid fire, an exchange between newlyweds, even if they call each other old couple; they had been married for hours only.
They pass from ecstasy to despair very fast, they’re young, I assume. After reading this joyful story I was thinking of John Gottman and his classic: Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work. The psychologist is so good at his s
Samantha
I have just read 'A Telephone Call'. I think that most women will be able to relate to the situation of waiting for a phonecall from a boyfriend or date. This short story stretches out that moment for a couple of hours, providing a string of funny and silly monologues and daft prayers/conversations to God. This story really captures a woman's neurotic state during the first stages of dating and probably confirms what men already think of us!
Jessica
May 15, 2013 added it
Shelves: free-reading
Hilarious!!!
Maegan
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the most terrifying short story I have ever read! Don't believe me? Look at the subtext, the evidence is there.
Catherine  Mustread
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1930s, short-stories
Short story presented on Selected Shorts podcast about newly married couple on the train to NYC during the first few hours of their marriage -- alternating between arguing and making up.
Tiger
This reading ("listening", really) also included "Just a Little One" and "The Waltz", both short stories by Dorothy Parker. I'd give the former 2.5 stars and the latter 3 stars.
J
threepmreads
May 20, 2014
Lena
Jul 01, 2018 added it
Läst i urvalsvolymen: Stjärna i dagsljus och andra noveller.
Intan Octavia
Feb 20, 2018
Jess  Evans
Feb 14, 2018
Zane
rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2019
Dec 30, 2016
Cornelia
Oct 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Dorothy Parker was an American writer, poet and critic best known for her caustic wit, wisecracks, and sharp eye for 20th century urban foibles. From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary output in such venues as The New Yorker and as a founding member of the Algonquin
“I don't know," she said. "We used to squabble a lot when we were going together and then engaged and everything, but I thought everything would be so different as soon as you were married. And now I feel so sort of strange and everything. I feel so sort of alone.” 8 likes