Start by marking “The St James Sisters” as Want to Read:
The St James Sisters

The St James Sisters

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  289 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The Five St. James sisters Mary, Sara, Nora, Emy, and Gail are heading across the ocean on a ship full of sailors. Along the way each one falls in love with a man she never expected whether a sailor, an artist, a doctor, or an invalid .
Published (first published February 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The St James Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The St James Sisters

Ginascozylibrary
I would have given this story three stars but the lack of good grammar simply couldn't be overlooked. As a writer, I can't help but to be fickle about sentence structure and having a book be a masterpiece once it is published.

This book was very predictable and not exciting enough for me. Although, if you enjoy books with happy endings, you may want to give it a go. All of our tastes are quite different here but I won't be recommending this book.
Evangeline
This was a nice story, but it read like it had been written by a schoolgirl in an (untimed!) creative writing exam, in a rush and never being proofread. The amount of typing errors and spelling and grammar mistakes was unbelievable, I've never seen so many in a published book before! And it was overly long and drawn out, with a fair bit of repetitiveness. I was surprised when the sea journey ended only halfway through the book, most of the rest was pointless, especially the epilogue where we are ...more
Sylvia
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story, however, in the era that this book was supposedly written, I don't think the words "jerk" and "geek" had even been used or even heard of yet? Let alone "chocolate chips" and "peanut butter"? Also, the constant misuse of the word "your" instead of the correct "you're" wanted me to get my red pencil out and I'm not even a teacher. Either the writer had a terrible proof-reader or this book was translated by someone. Sorry, I'm not usually this critical.
Amy Fleck
May 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I disliked the writing and the story did not move. I only read about a third of the book and stopped reading.
Adri
Apr 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just too many errors! Badly constructed sentences, incorrect word usage.

I really tried, but I am afraid the countless errors prevented me from getting involved with the characters or the story. This is another self-published book with a good plot idea, but poor execution.
Janet Hernandez
It needed more proof/editing but enjoyable book
Carina
This is one of those books I found on my Kindle - as I don't recall buying it I know it must have been free from Amazon at some point. That means this is a self-published author, and that automatically means I don't expect writing in the same category of say... Martin, or Tolkien, or Rowling.

It was good that I didn't expect writing of that calibre as this book is positively riddled with typos and poor grammar. I do wish self-publishers could at least get a proper editor to try and avoid some of
Aimee
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Five sisters embark on a journey to a new home, to Brighton, where Mary's (the eldest) fiancee lives. Having lost both their parents and being left practically destitute, the girls have no money to secure passage on a cruise ship. Fortunately, an old school friend of their father's, Charlie, owns a small ship and offers the sisters free passage on his ship, in exchange for light cooking and housekeeping duties. The girls gloomily embark on the small ship for a 3-month voyage along with Charlie, ...more
Cheryn
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

"Five sisters" was an enjoyable read. I completely understood when other readers wrote in their reviews that the book was way too long, but I thought that if it did not contain so many chapters, the stories of all five sisters would not have been complete.

A lot of times, "Five Sisters" reminded me of "Little Women" (and yes I am aware of the fact that there are only four sisters in Little Women) due to some of the girls' personalities. However, it was still a very unique, happy, and a love
Cindy Adkins
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

I loved this book. It truly was great from start to finish. This was a quick read as I could not put it down. Leen Elle did a great job describing the lives and personalities of the five sisters and keeping up with them all! Quite a task I'd say as they were so very different and led such different lives. Looking for another Elle book to read as soon as I finish writing this review! :)
Skye Turner
Five Sisters was an enjoyable book.
Five separate stories all wrapped into one, but with enough individual detail to make each one memorable in it's own right while still staying connected.
The book reminds me of a gathering with old friends, catching up and sharing stories.
It was wholesome, yet romantic.
Overall, a very nice story and I heartily recommend it.
Jeny Mckinsey-
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
super long. too many characters. I think after they boarded the ship the story could have broken off into separate books for the different sisters. I liked the story tho. I admit tho, I ended up skipping to the epilogue just to see how it all ended. I never do that, this was just too long for me I guess.
 Northern Light
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Five sisters end up on a ship as cooks and general dogsbodies as the only way to get to their new home. It is a journey both literally and emotionally as they are faced with challenges and hardships along the way as well as romance.

This book is a good story and you really invest in the characters some of whom are very much larger than life.

Definitely would recommend it
Lisa Camacho
Easy read. A story of 5 sisters around their eventful life. Their life was tragic in the beginning but ended with love in the end. I really liked how the author chose a section at the end of book discussing the future for each sister. Only issue was misspelled words and sentences not put together well but only towards the end of the book.
Gale Hartley
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written but cute

The story was charming but overall it was poorly written. Too many contradicting situations, like cold outside nearly Christmas time but lilacs on the secretary's desk. I wondered if it was ever edited?
Marcia Knight
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Sisters Five Tumultuous Life Journies

Five Sisters Five Tumultuous Life Journies

Jump on enjoy the ride up and down. Adventures by sea and land hold you in suspense and intense emotional drama
worth every word.
Cecilia
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most boring books I have ever read. 5 sisters take a voyabe on a cargo ship and have the most dull advantures ( I hesitate to use this word which implies that they was at least some excitement.). I skimmed the last third of the book. What a waste.
Sara
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very long with way too many useless details! Good story though!
Aadams30
Jul 02, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
leaving this one......maybe later
Linda
Awful read. Poorly written, in dire need of an editor - many errors in spelling, punctuation, etc. Do not recommend. One of the few books I did not finish.
Faith
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were likable and the plot line was interesting. Although the ending was a little sad, it was a great read overall.
Carmen Lombardi
Loved this book even with all the grammer and edit mistakes. All the characters and story lines were very interesting the book kept you wanting to know more.
Lyndsey Gilchrist
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Enjoyed the story of following the 5 sisters on their journey BUT the main issue was the spelling and grammatical errors.
Izola
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rather enjoyed this book. I like how each girl has her own individual story yet they are all intertwined. it is worth the read.
SandraE
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Four love stories are interwoven together in this book. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I look forward to reading another book by this author.
andrea hepson
Sweet

Sweet and touching a good read as you get wrapped up in their hopes and dream's you can't help but root for Sara and the other girls
Lillian K Hultz
Sorry.

This book was so boring I could hardly make I through. Don't bother. I don't have anything left to say.
Judith B Javorski
Dec 31, 2014
Paula Villarreal
Jun 12, 2013
Talia Nyx
rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2014
  • Taken By Moonlight
  • Lady Scandal
  • Jonah's Woman
  • The Angel's Assassin
  • Letting Go of You (Anchored Hearts # 2)
  • The Sound of Crickets
  • Passion and Pride
  • Being Nobody (Witness, #1)
  • Cursed Heart (Cursed, #2.5)
  • Celtic Shores (Celtic Steel, #2)
  • Here to Stay (Hidden Springs, #1)
  • The Beautiful Truth
  • Brandywine (The Brocade #1)
  • Spectre of the Sword (de Lohr Dynasty, #4)
“sisters” 0 likes
“countryside of Laraford, five sisters and two young men were enjoying the last day of summer. On the far side of the park, a large gathering of aspen trees guarded dusty dirt pathways with their speckled white trunks and a ceiling of crisp green and yellow leaves. Beside the forest, a dry meadow of breezy grass and elm trees spread across the remainder of the park, its only” 0 likes