Start by marking “Software in 30 Days: How Agile Managers Beat the Odds, Delight Their Customers, And Leave Competitors In the Dust ” as Want to Read:

A Radical Approach to Fast, Valuable, and Low–Risk Software Development

Software development doesn't have to be slow and expensive anymore. The Agile and Scrum software development method allows creation of the game–changing software you need to grow your business - in 30 days or less. Projects that use it are three times more successful than those that don′t, and the produ
Published May 16th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published March 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Software in 30 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Software in 30 Days

Start your review of Software in 30 Days: How Agile Managers Beat the Odds, Delight Their Customers, And Leave Competitors In the Dust
Jesse Houwing
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work, agile, scrum
I read this book *after* getting my Professional Scrum Master I certification and found the content interesting mostly for the examples provided. The book seems to rely on the power of repetition, the simple process and the cadence a lot. The chapters are relatively short, most use a real life example to show how the scrum process changes not only the projects, but also the organisation around it to deliver more value in less or equal amounts of time.

The second half of the book is made up of a n
Vedran Novoselac
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dev-read
Overly repetitive book with very little technical content. Same topics are discussed throughout the whole book over and over again with different phrasing. I guess this book is intended for upper management or something, but even they can understand scarce formalities of scrum without so many occurrences of the same idea. Authors were probably trying to expose readers to the rules of scrum from many different perspectives, but I find their style dull and superfluous.
Nathalie Karasek
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: _m_hardcopy, scrum, 2019
I read the book because it is on the reading list for PSM I but It left me quite unsatisfied. Maybe this book is a good start for managers or CxOs new to scrum or agile. As a scrum practitioner I did not get much out of it. There is a lot of story telling, which is generally a good thing, but the stories did not really add much insights and felt quite repetitive.
Muhammad Khan
This book provides a good overview of Scrum targeted to CXOs and senior managers considering adopting, or transitioning to Agile. The essential matters and challenges are laid bare, in a clear and straight-forward manner, telling it like it is. I found the references to real-world projects, and latest project history data very useful in reinforcing the message that there is indeed value in moving to Scrum.
Having said that, Schwaber & Sutherland hide nothing and make it clear that Scrum might see
Jason
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Clearly lays out the case for an Agile (specifically Scrum) approach to product development. If you're not doing Agile or Scrum this is as good an introduction as you could hope for from the co-creators of Scrum. ...more
Dave Bolton
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Very management focused, but not bad.
Rohit
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bit theoretical. Not an interesting read so can't continue from start to finish. But I will refer pages at random. ...more
TruongSinh Tran-Nguyen
Authors said upfront that this book is for CXO or top executives. If you already have strong background in Scrum/Agile, you might use some of the stories/examples (and to some extends, more arguments) from this book to "sell" to "others" (either subordinates, or other departments, sales, marketing, etc.) if there are resistances to change.

If you don't, you might not learn much "how" from this book, but at least some of the "what"; for the "how", it's much better if you read other agile "bibles"
Vishal Prasad
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read and to the point

Questions about who's a scrum master and what's their job. And similar questions for other scrum roles. This book clarifies such questions with anecdotes and real examples of how efficient managers execute scrum in different development and organizational transformation. You can see the experience of the authors poured very thoughtfully in this book. It's a great read and a must for every srum and agile software development enthusiast.
Vladislav Gomzyakov
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
A good overview of scrum and what it takes to successfully utilize it. It covers important general principles and common challenges. It did have a more managerial focus with its content on adopting and scaling scrum in big organizations. I would be interested in reading more about specific case studies and how scrum activities were conducted there, the way artifacts were created/managed, etc.
Philip
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
A very interesting book. Though it's written for managers, it also delivers a profounder understanding of Scrum, and what one needs to keep in mind when using and scaling it.
it was a very good read and extremely recommendable for anyone interested to abandon the old ways of software development management and welcome the joys of common sense and sensible methodology.
Charlie Meneses
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Is a good book if you want to learn a little bit more about the Scrum framework. I would recommend this book when you have some basic knowledge about Scrum, gives you a better clue about what to do, and how does it work.
israel
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If one can establish a complete vision, define all of the requirements of the vision, and then devise the detailed plan to turn the requirements into the vision, then a predictive process will work." Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, it just gets to a point where it repeats itself too many times. ...more
Ankit Agrawal
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome read with some really good philosophy on Scrum by the creator himself. Great examples and some really good insight.
Thomas Melnik
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Good overview of how Agile can help you as a manager trying to accomplish a software project.
Zumrud_Huseynova
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Pro re nata, which means "take when needed".

Developer productivity arises from not being interrupted.

Empiricism does not create certanity; it makes one aware of the possibilities.
Brian Riordan
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
A good intro, but soft of basic.
Max Martínez
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A good book to sell 'Scrum' to high level executives, has several success stories that emphasize the importance of agile. Before reading it, make sure you go with the right expectations, otherwise you'll be disappointed. ...more
Vijay Varadan
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
tl;dr Version: YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
The authors state that the goal of the book is to provide an overview of agile methodology, but it only talks about Scrum. It's geared towards executives or decision makers who want more information & learn about its benefits. So, it's not particularly prescriptive or in-depth. I found it a little on the light side, but the information is well laid out with a fair number of case studies, so it doesn't get tedious.

You can read a more detailed review on
Erwin Verweij
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: scrum
A good book to start with scrum for Managers, Ceo's and the likes. But I have to admit that it is a great selling booking. Selling Scrum. But if you really want to go in-depth into the workings of Scrum you better find a trainer or coach to help you along. I recommend this book to the managers I work with. At least you should have read this book before you can argue with me that Scrum is not something that will work in your company. ...more
Ronald Rajagukguk
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
if you have only a day to grasp the main concept of scrum, the this book is for you. both author talk about the main concept of scrum and how it can help to fasten a software development time. As it's said on the prolog this book it's intended for managers level and above, so if you expect for a deeper discusson on scrum then this is not for you. ...more
Jeanne Boyarsky
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
The book was fine. I didn't realize that it was meant for CEO's/senior managers. It was meant for people who are skeptical of Scrum and a sales pitch on why to use it. There were lots of case studies. I was bored because it was too high level and I'm already doing Scrum. The appendixes seem useful - glossary of words, the Scrum guide PDF and a script for a sprint. ...more
Tremeur Balbous
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is good as a support for conversations with CXO that want to start playing with Scrum or those who are already using Scrum(but…).
It's an overview of Scrum on a management point of view.
May sounds a bit like a commercial sometimes.
Ray Rials
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this book in preparation for Scrum Master certification. A good read for anyone looking for foundations of Lean product development and getting started on delivering software products using scrum.
Javier
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: agile
The book contains some good ideas or points about how to implement Scrum in an organization. However, the content is entirely theoretical and repetitive, rather in some cases with advertising character, to which the Scrum Guide has been added to swell the number of pages.
Bob Schatz
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended for managers and/or execs looking to bring Scrum into the organization or expand it. Brings a good balance of techniques and description of the culture changes necessary to make Scrum successful. Nice to have Ken and Jeff writing together.
Rick Austin
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty good overview for implementing scrum.
Michael
not as impressed with it as many in my company.
Sebastian Schneider
Scrum and Scrumming Scrums ... with nice examples. Was helpful to me.
Stefan Jernberg
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software, agile
Great book for all managers that are new to agile development. Just enough detail to cover the important aspects and still be a quick read.

• Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Scrum Mastery: From Good To Great Servant-Leadership
  • Scrum: A Pocket Guide: A Smart Travel Companion
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Scrum Insights for Practitioners: The Scrum Guide Companion
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • The Nexus Framework for Scaling Scrum: Continuously Delivering an Integrated Product with Multiple Scrum Teams
  • Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions
  • Mastering Professional Scrum: A Practitioner's Guide to Overcoming Challenges and Maximizing the Benefits of Agility
  • Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
  • Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • The Practicing Mind: Bringing Discipline and Focus into Your Life

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“A manager's most important work is helping the people doing the work. Give them a goal and let them work. Remove any impediments that get in their way. Do anything that may make them more effective or productive. Then the organization can capitalize on the fruits of their work.” 1 likes