Start by marking “Llama Llama Time to Share” as Want to Read:
Llama Llama Time to Share

Llama Llama Time to Share

(Llama Llama)

Llama has a sharing drama!

Build a tower. Make a moat.
Nelly's dolly sails a boat.
What can Llama Llama add?
Maybe sharing's not so bad.

Llama Llama has new neighbors! Nelly Gnu and her mama stop by for a play date, but Llama's not so sure it's time to share all his toys. Maybe just his blocks? It could be fun to make a castle with Nelly . . . But wait--Nelly has Llama's li
Published September 4th 2012 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Llama Llama Time to Share, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Llama Llama Time to Share

Archit Ojha
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anna Dewdney's books are inspired from everyday events and hence anyone can connect with them. The book teaches the significance of sharing your stuffs with your friends.

Wonderful illustrations. Great story.
babyhippoface
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, here's the thing I really love about Anna Dewdney. She gets meter. She really gets it. She doesn't try to leave a syllable out or cram an extra one into a line to make it fit. I don't have to stop at various points and think, "Wait...how do I have to say this so the meter is right?" That's because Anna Dewdney gets meter. She's always faithful to it and I love her for that. I would declare her Meter Princess if I could. Maybe I'll just print up my own certificate and mail it to her with a ...more
La Coccinelle
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Now this is the Llama Llama I know and love.

This adorable story in rhyme is about sharing. When Nelly Gnu comes over for a playdate, Llama is forced to share his toys. That's all fine, really, until he sees Nelly playing with Fuzzy Llama (his little doll that he takes everywhere). A tug-o-war ensues, and poor Fuzzy Llama gets his arm ripped off! It's a "llama-mergency"!

Not to worry. Mama fixes Fuzzy Llama, but she sets him aside until Llama Llama is ready to share. Eventually, he learns that sha
Lauren Waters
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love how the llama llama books take relevant, important topics and break them down into fun, easy to read messages.
LuAnn
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I haven't found a Llama Llama book I didn't like and I love this one!

I have read this to both kindergarten and Pre-K classes and the looks on their faces is priceless. What a wonderful way to teach a lesson on sharing, even if it is your favorite toy. When I turned the page to show the results of not sharing the gasps and hands covering their mouths truly showed that this book related to the listeners.

Melissa
I like that Dewdney fits in a variety of different reactions to sharing into this short narrative: Llama is apprehensive, then interested, then NOT willing to share, then regretful, then game again--and there's even a little modeling of negotiation to find something to play that both kids want to do. AND there's a natural segue back to the toy that was in time-out.

Plus the great pun on "Gnu girl." <3

Christina Mallory
Text-to-Text Connection
The connection between "Llama Llama Time to Share" and "Germs are not For Sharing" can be very simple. Although we teach our students to share, we have to teach them what to share and what not to share. When students have toys or play games with each other we should encourage them to share so no one feels neglected or uncomfortable in their environment. We have to explain that once germs are spread to another child, their immune system is different from and how they react
Slayermel
Llama meets a new friend when visitors come by the house and he has to learn to share his toys and play nicely. Llama quickly discovers that playing with a friend can definitely be more fun.
Heather
Another book to try to smooth the transition into preschool. The thing I appreciate most about AD (as the person reading her books aloud) is that she never screws up the meter. And God bless her for that. No trying to rush the line to fit the words in, or having to drag something out to make the line scan. I also appreciate that Llama's gnu friend is a girl. AD doesn't make a big thing about it, nor should it be a big thing. I appreciate that my kid gets to see a boy and girl playing together as ...more
☕️Kimberly
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Llama Llama Time to Share is such a wonderful story from the colorfully illustrated pages to the lessons about sharing it teaches. Llama Llama is busy playing with his toy trains when the doorbell rings..and it's his new neighbors the Gnu's come to play. Dewdney shares the events that unfold as toys are brought out and towers are built. Things don't go smoothly, a lesson is learned and the value of sharing is beautifully told. Llama Llama will make you smile and makes a delightful story for litt ...more
Megan Eckley
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Summary
Llama Llama is not happy when his new neighbor comes over to play. After all, Nelly Gnu just takes his toys and ruins them! Will Llama eventually learn that it is better to share?

Activity
Have a class discussion about what they would have done with they were in Llama's situation (Bloom's Level 5).
Have the student’s each write a poem about why it is important to share with others. Give them time to write and then have them share their poems with the class.

APA Citation
Dewdney, A. (2012). L
Chelsea
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ecce-2203
1. Llama Llama Time to Share
2. This book teaches about sharing.
3. I can use this book in the classroom to teach children about sharing even when it's hard. It feels good to share with others. I can ask the children to share experiences of times when they shared with someone and how it made them feel.
Tatiana
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
The Llama Llama books are perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. This installment deals with the skill of sharing, which is often hard for young kids to master. The rhythm and rhyme lend this book to a great read aloud as well.
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Llama Llama learns to share in book that is spot-on for the age group.
Lesley P.
Anna Dewdney has come up with another way to entertain and enlighten children as they read the newest Llama Llama book.
Cherie
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, sharing
I can describe this book in one word--Cute. It's a good one for children who are learning to share.
Tristian Paulson
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Personal Response: I think the short story Llama Llama Time To Share is good for classrooms and for parents to read to their children. It would help the kids to see what the right thing to do is as they are around other kids.

Plot: The two llamas meet and learn to share. They find out sharing is actually fun while they play with the building blocks together. While the mothers are talking llama wonders where the Nelly is and what she is up to. Llama sees a disaster when he sees Nelly playing with
Lacey Lockhart
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary: In this story of the “Llama, Llama” series, Llama’s new neighbors come over. Mrs. Gnu has tea with Llama’s mother while Llama and Nelly Gnu play with toys. At first, Llama sits in a chair and pouts while Nelly plays with his toys but Llama soon realizes playing with a friend and sharing can be fun. Nelly Gnu starts to play with Llama’s favorite stuffed animal, Fuzzy Llama, when Llama isn’t looking. When Llama notices, he snatches Fuzzy Llama from Nelly, accidently ripping the arm off. L ...more
Amelia
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Llama Llama's new friend Nelly Gnu comes to play at Llama Llama's house. Mama Llama tells Llama Llama that he needs to share. At first, he thinks sharing is pretty fun, but when Nelly Gnu takes his favorite stuffed animal, he begins to think otherwise and ends up ripping the arm off. Mama Llama must find a way to get Llama Llama to share. In the end, Llama Llama finds he enjoys sharing and can't wait to see his new friend again.
I quite enjoyed this book. I thought it was really cute how Llama L
Hailey Simpson
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Llama Llama Time to Share, by Anna Dewdney, is the story of a Llama. One day his mother invites over their neighbors and Llama has to share with Nelly Gnu. They play together but when Nelly tries to play with his toy Fuzzy Llama, he tries to take it back and it ends up ripping in two. What happens next teaches Llama to share and might just make him a new friend. What initially caught my eye was the illustration on the cover and the title. It looked cute and made me think that it was going to be ...more
Caleb Ensminger
This book is about a Llama named Llama. At the beginning he is playing with all of his toys when a knock comes to the door. It happened to be the new neighbors who also had a llama his age. Llama had to learn to share his toys, which was tough at first, but he ended up thinking it wasn't so bad. That's what he thought until he discovered his friend playing with his special doll. That's when Llama began to think sharing wasn't so fun. They then began to pull and tug on the doll and it ended up ri ...more
Hanna Municipal Library
We had a group of 21 kids and 17 adults attend our preschool book club (Ages 0-6).

The "kids" loved the book and the parents liked the moral of the story, sharing.

Time To Share is an easy book to follow along to, well written with a flow of rhyming and a situation all children can relate to. It kept the audience captivated and they sat and listened to the whole story.

The questions we asked the children were;
What would have made to games Llama and Nelly played more fun? "Sprinkles, stickers and Fu
Marie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You really can't go wrong with the Llama Llama books! Joe calls this one the "mama llama" book because Mama Llama plays an important role at one point.

You see, there's tragedy in this book: at one point Llama Llama doesn't want to share his special Fuzzy Llama dolly with his new friend Nelly Gnu, and when they tug-o-war over the dolly, the dolly's arm is ripped off. We've read it about ten times now and Joe still gets quite upset each time we reach that page, yelling "uh oh! Mama fix! Mama fix!
Maddelyn Skeen
This is the story of Llama learning to share his toys with his friends. Llama gets new neighbors and they come over to visit. Llama isn't sure if he's ready to share his toys yet. Llama realizes that his new neighbor is already holding one of his favorite toys. Pretty soon, Llama's toy is ripped in half and Llama is so upset. Mama Llama fixes the toy and puts it away until Llama can learn to share his toys the right way.
I absolutley love all of the Llama Llama books because they are so fun and
Samantha Marapese
Anna Dewdney's take on real life experiences in all of her books is something that has always intrigued me. The Llama Llama series are all enjoyable, easy to read, and give very good life lessons. This book, Llama Llama time to share talks about the importance of sharing and how sharing really is not bad after. This book can be useful for students in classrooms or even your own child who is having a difficult time sharing their toys with others. After reading this book, kids can notice how fun i ...more
Kelsey
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Age: Toddler-Preschool
Toys: Stuffed animal lovey

Brand new neighbors stop by the Llama household and are invited inside for a playdate. Llama is hesitant to share his toys with Nelly Gnu but eventually warms up to her presence. When Llama Llama realizes that Nelly is playing with his precious Fuzzy Llama he tries to pull the toy away from her, causing it to break. After a sewing fix, the little ones apologize and look for another activity to play.

Llama Llama books are essential tools for early c
Caitlyn Berkey
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I love Anna Dewdeny, I believe that she is a great children's literature writer. Llama Llama Time to Share is a great book about Llama needing to share his toys with the new next door neighbor. He has a hard time understanding this concept. Once his momma tells him they are able to fix things, he is wanting to share everything and anything that she wants to play with.

1. Sharing is caring activity
2. Doing/playing with things that might not be your favorite but will make the other person happy
Carrie Simas
I love the Llama books but this one presented a contrary position to my parenting values. In it, Llama is told he has to share his special Fuzzy stuffy. Lots of studies will show that when children have an attachment to a special stuffy or blanket, that that item should be treated as sacrosanct and be exempted from timeouts or sharing requirements.

On the other side of the argument, having this alternative viewpoint in this book allowed me an opportunity to ask my children how they would feel ha
Nicole Woolwine
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5
2012
Contemporary realistic
K-3rd grade
This book is based around the concept of sharing your toys, and it’s so relatable to real life situations!
Llama is playing with toys when new neighbors come to visit and they upset llama by playing with his favorite toy! This book would be great to demonstrate to students on why it’s important to share because we all go through the stage of keeping what’s ours to ourselves! Children love these llama series and I believe they learn from the concepts bei
Sunah Chung
Llama Llama has a new neighbor, but he does not want to share his toy with Nelly. After an incident of breaking a toy, they learned it would be fun to share toys.
From the perspectives of children’s cognitive and emotional development, it would be challenging for young children in understand how to share their properties with others. This book conveys the message that sharing and playing together increase fun. Parents could educate their children indirectly by reading this picture book togethe

• Bear Says Thanks
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Farmyard Beat
  • I'm Not Sleepy!
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Duck Sock Hop
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • The Bear Who Shared
  • Stick!
  • The Easter Bunny's Assistant
  • Little Mouse's Big Secret
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream? (Elephant & Piggie, #15)
  • Bugs Galore
  • Perfectly Percy
  • Plant a Kiss
  • 1-2-3 Peas
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Going to Sleep?

Llama Llama (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama