Start by marking “Elemental Magic: All-New Tales of the Elemental Masters (Elemental Masters)” as Want to Read:
Elemental Magic: All-New Tales of the Elemental Masters (Elemental Masters)

Elemental Magic: All-New Tales of the Elemental Masters

(Elemental Masters #7.5)

In 2001, Mercedes Lackey published The Serpent's Shadow, the story of a pioneering woman doctor in an alternative Edwardian London where elemental magic is real, and is monitored by the members of an elite yet secret organization of Elemental Masters. This book began a series of novels set in an alternate Britain where certain gifted individuals wield the powers of the ele ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by DAW Books

Start your review of Elemental Magic: All-New Tales of the Elemental Masters (Elemental Masters)
Janet
In a break from the annual Valdemar compilation, the short story collection that Mercedes Lackey edited for 2012 is set in her Elemental Masters world. Lackey's delightful Elemental Masters novels are fairy tale retellings set in the early 20th century UK, with a fire, air, earth, and water based magic system. The stories by other authors here are enjoyable in their own right, but feel less embedded in Lackey's Elemental Masters world than is usual for the Valdemar compilations. With the Valdema ...more
Gayle
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A book of short stories by various authors all written on a theme created by Mercedes Lackey, all involving elemental masters. I liked the stories very much. The only problem I have is that I felt that most of them were only introductions and could have developed into SO much more. I owuld love to have these authors go further with the characters they created.
Joseph
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fine collection of Elemental Masters shorts stories. One problem I did have with some though were that they were too short, they were so good I wanted to read more. They were great beginnings and ok endings, they could have been starts to a fine novel of their own.
Larisa
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed reading every story, which is unusual for an anthology.
Foggygirl
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-read
I liked some stories more than others but on the whole an excellent anthology, Mercedes should make this Elemental anthology collection a regular thing.
Kathy Davie
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, military, history
Fifteen short stories revolving around Lackey's theme from her Elemental Masters series none of which are in a time period later than 1919.

I have to confess that I found these stories to be uneven in quality. A range of twos to fives. Unless you have a passion for several of the authors, consider carefully before you spend the money to buy this collection. The way authors in general are going, they'll release these stories again. Hopefully, in a group that merits the purchase.

I don't see any of
Andrea
I waffled between three and four stars for this collection. On one hand, I really love this Lackey universe so reading new characters and time periods was really nice. On the other, the stories themselves were sort of mixed. Some were really great, others – eh. Ultimately, I sort of wish I’d just read the next full novel in this series.
Marina
Picked this up at the library. Decided I wanted to continue Misty's series and I
had fallen far behind. Was not aware Misty had created anthologies in her
Elemental Masters series. I was hesitant to start but did eventually. This volume
is 15 in 1. 11 out of the 15 stories I enjoyed. Three of the 15 stories were my fav and
I would definitely like to see more of them!!! These tales were too short, they were
so good I wanted to read more!

1. A Song of the Sea by Diana L. Paxson-3 stars, ok/not bad
TheCosyDragon
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it

This is an anthology that fits into Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters series. There are 17 short stories, and I have given a quick review of each one.

A Song of the Sea - It fitted in well with the continuity of Lackey's novels and it was good because of the historical references scattered throughout it (that I could actually recognise).

The Fire
Kathleen
This anthology is... okay. I really wanted to like it, because I enjoy the Elemental Masters series, but the stories were uneven in quality and the coherency somewhat-- lacking.

Stories I enjoyed:
The Collector: a wonderfully spooky exploration of the darker side of Elemental Magic.
Makana: Somebody actually wrote a story with a POC hero who kicks ass! Damn. Set in Hawai'i. Can't say how accurate it is, but I enjoyed the fact that it, y'know, existed.
I Have Heard the Mermaids Singing: Nicely judge
M
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
These were okay. The problem of the original series for me was that there seemed to be quite a few inconsistencies in what the elementals did, and the creatures and what their constraints were. These also had the same problem. But the main issue I had this anthology was that it seemed to be a collection of fanfiction, and a rather half-hearted attempt at that. Most of the stories seemed quite shallow and unrealistic (obviously beyond the fact that magic and elementals are fantastical). That said ...more
Courtney
An interesting collection. The stories are overall rather good. There were a few I would definitely like to see more of - The Collector by Ron Collins, Makana by Fiona Payton and War to the Knife by Rosemary Edgehill.

The main con that stands out is that despite the lack of limitations (authors could write anywhere within history up to the 1900s) most of the stories still took place in what felt to be around the same era Lackey's books are set in, with primarily white characters. There is one st
Helen Bendix
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tale
First off, I liked this. I like all the Elemental Master's stuff. I just didn't like it as much as the full-length books, mostly, or rather, I only liked some of the stories. Second: A drinking game for this book: Every time someone explains that you can't command Elementals - take a shot. Every time someone clearly has Elemental Magic, but due to some accident in birth or child rearing, does not know and must be carefully taugt as an adult - take a shot. Female character with red hair as a pers ...more
Ron Clayton
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all the stories. It seemed to start out a little slowly because I expected all of the stories to be in London around 1910. However, given elemental master magicians and a white lodge in 1910 London, what would the pre-history have been? Where else in the world would there be magicians and lodges? What would those folks in London do elsewhere in the world? Where would they go and what would they do and why? So I think that it was my own expectations that made the early stories seem like ...more
Jen
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
This wasn't a full novel of the Elemental Masters, more of a taster or teaser. This book had many short stories, probably too many as they are REALLY short stories. Most of them were interesting, but just too short. Just as you were getting into the fell of things, it ended. One of my favorites was the retelling of Rapunzel, but I really think it could have benefitted from a few more pages. Really, all of the stories could have.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This is a decent collection of stories, from various authors, set in Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters world. Some of the stories are set in the same time/location as most Elemental Masters books (England, Late 19th/early 20th century) but some are set in diverse cultures, or in past times. It's a nice exploration of the world, and my particular favorite one was the one with the perfumer. If you liked the Elemental Masters series, you should enjoy this.
E_bookpushers
This was more of a 3.5. I found this anthology more of a mixed bag then the usual Valdemar anthology. Maybe because I am more accustomed to different voices in that world. I can say that I enjoyed the contributions by those authors who are already on my auto=buy list and might have to check out a few of the others.
Kayla Tornello
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, short-stories
I liked that all of these short stories were linked together by the common theme of elemental magic. As with any short story collection written by various authors, the quality of each story varied. Some of the stories left me yearning to read more about them.
Emily
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A solid collection. This is an interesting world with so many opportunities to grow in different directions. The authors certainly had fun with it!
Amy Junkins
While the stories themselves were fair, this again reinforces to me why I dislike short stories. There's never enough room for satisfying character OR plot development.
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
As in any anthology, some stories are definitely better than others. None of them really stood out to me, bad or good. Unfortunately, they are all based on Lackey's Elemental Masters series, and...they really only bear a slight resemblance. Lackey herself has messed up her world building, so I can't really blame them - I think the majority of the stories also suffered from being too short and unable to develop the themes thoroughly. Lackey's own entry, "I Have Heard the Mermaids Singing," also f ...more
Silvio Curtis
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A collection of Elemental Masters short stories, one by Lackey herself and the rest by other authors. A two-page introduction by Lackey gives her short explanation of what the series is. Apparently she is deliberately limiting it to the period 1870-1919, chosen for being a foundational epoch for contemporary society. Most of these stories are also set in the same period, and also in England or Anglo-America (one in Georgia!) but two are appropriately in ancient Greece, one in early Hawaii, one i ...more
Claudia
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mercedes Lackey has published a number of books in her Elemental Masters series where humans able to interact with the magical creatures of the four elements. The initial books were loosely based on various fairy tales and seem to center/focus in Europe in the late 1800's through the first decades of the 1900's.

In this book, other authors are allowed to play. To write a story based in the world and with these magical people. From Wales and Paris and Napoleonic Spain. Halifax and Maine and post-
Marissa
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Somehow or another, I managed to read the later one first, Elementary, which is relevant because there are some overlapping authors who stuck with their characters and settings in both short story collections. Regardless, like the other collection, it was fun to see the variety of cultures and time periods selected by the authors. As is generally the case with such anthologies, some were more enjoyable than others, but overall, a solid addition to the world of the Elemental Masters.
Margaret
Overall, I think that the second Elemental Masters shared world anthology is the stronger. That said, I definitely enjoyed the first anthology Elemental Magic.

I especially enjoyed seeing Sarah and Nan again, even if they only had a cameo appearance in one story.

Elemental Masters combined with the fairy tale retellings and the Gifted/Talented paranormal powers are totally my cup of tea!

Strongly recommended for most fantasy collections!
Terrence Van
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal Blend

MERCEDES Lackey has woven together a stellar group of writers who have all captured unique aspects of her wonderous Elemental Masters series, bringing in a variety of new and different perspectives. I highly recommend this anthology to anyone with an interest in elemental-themed stories.
Shipofools999
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
This was a hard read. I love the Elemental Masters by Mercedes Lackey. I thought it would slide easily into my brain. But this is others playing in her world and I found I didn't care for it. She opened it up for any time, any country and that didn't work for me. I enjoyed the one story she wrote but not overly much.
Sonja
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you can't get enough Elemental Masters, well, here's an anthology! A bunch of different authors, all playing in the world Lackey made. Lackey has done this before with her Valdemar world - many anthologies there - and this is just as excellent a collection as any of the Valdemar anthologies.
Kris
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this collection of stories set in the world of the Elemental Masters. As usual with this type of anthology, I felt some of the stories "fit" in the world better than others. It was interesting to see the stories set in very different time periods. Recommended for fans.
Marcela Brandao
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: home-collection
This was a nice change from the "normal" elemental masters books. I enjoyed the way different authors went to wildly different places with the concept and look forward to other collections like this one.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Which Witch?
  • The Seamstress (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #4)
  • The Chaperon (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #2)
  • The Governess (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #1)
  • The Companion (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #3)
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Change of Heart (The Potentate of Atlanta, #3)
  • Defy or Defend  (Delightfully Deadly, #2)
  • Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew
  • Utopia
  • The Sky Below
  • Siege and Sacrifice (Numina #3)
  • Con Living (EarthCent Universe Book 3)
  • Matrons and Madams
  • Shadowed Souls
  • Dog Boys
  • The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America
  • Nation
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts & M ...more

Elemental Masters (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters, #1)
  • The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters, #2)
  • Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters, #3)
  • The Wizard of London (Elemental Masters, #4)
  • Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters, #5)
  • Unnatural Issue (Elemental Masters, #6)
  • Home from the Sea (Elemental Masters, #7)
  • Steadfast (Elemental Masters #8)
  • Blood Red (Elemental Masters, #9)
  • From a High Tower (Elemental Masters, #10)