Start by marking “Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Ole” as Want to Read:
Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Ole

Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Ole (Skippyjon Jones)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  770 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
The #1 New York Times bestselling kitty boy goes to the circus!

In his newest adventure, the irresistible Skippyjon Jones swings out of his closet and into the spectacular Cirque de Ole, where his pals, the Chimichango gang, perform feats of derring-do. There are many acts to see, but only Skippito the Strong can perform the trickiest stunt of all. Judy Schachner's vivaciou
Hardcover, with Audio CD, 32 pages
Published October 16th 2012 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Ole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Ole

Brent Weeks
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Still a bit too long for my two-year-old’s attention span, this book is fun to read aloud in front of a non-critical audience who won’t be upset with you for your faux-Spanish accent (i.e. a child). It usually comes with a CD included, which might help your atrocious Spanish accent as the author reads. But aside from getting certain cadences correct, I found the author to be only a pretty good reader.
midnightfaerie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
An enjoyable story with some Spanish thrown in, which adds some learning value to the book, which any parent can appreciate. However, German being my second language, I tend to butcher Spanish repeatedly. It wasn't until I got to the end of this very adorable book that I realized it included a CD with the author reading the book. So I put it aside and brought it out again the next day, this time turning the pages for the wonderful storyteller herself, Judy Schachner. Feeling much better about th ...more
Rachel Watkins
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Skippyjon Jones books are always fun to read and CIRQUE DE OLE is no exception! As usual, Skippyjon Jones has a robust imagination and his adventures at the circus will leave you spellbound, especially when there's a cannon involved!
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Skippito friskito is back-ito and kitty boy is going to the circus with his doggy-pals, los chimmichangas. They sneak into the Cirque De Olé, past the léones, tigres and osos and into the strong dog’s dressing room. Skippyjon’s friends help their chico grow muy grande músculos to disguise him as the stong dog. When Putzi Shtrungleboot the REAL strong dog catches the gang, he is not happy! It is up to Skippito to save the day(ito)!

Why I liked this book – Like I said before, Josie and I LOVE Skipp
Emily Love
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The characters are still great, but the story just wasn't as engaging this time.
Elaine
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun and clever, but not up to the standard of other Skippyjonjones books (which is pretty high).
Laurie
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shawn
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Skippyjon Jones is a very clever cat with a huge imagination. Often it thinks of itself as a dog, because seemingly dogs are free to have more fun. Wonderfully illustrated and with a good smattering of Spanish words, this is a fun book series. In this book, Skippyjon turns his bedroom closet into a circus where he is a trapeze artist.
Zoe Tandy
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i love theese books
Megan
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Olé by Judy Schachner
Today we are going to read Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Olé. Has anyone read any of the other Skippyjon books? (wait for answers). If they have, then ask them what they thought of the book. Next I am going to show p 13-14 and ask students what they notice about this book that is different than most books we have looked at?
Children: There are different size words, some are big.
Me: Why do you think they are big words?
Children: The words must be important
Taylor De La Fe
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Skippyjon Jones wants to be in the circus. His mother does not think this is safe, though, because cats only have one life. Skippy decides that if he does only have one life, then he wants to live it as a Chihuahua. He gathers his circus costume and hurries off to his closet where the Cirque de Ole will take place. There is an image in this book that is different than any other image in this Skippyjon Jones book. This image is different because rather than being a landscape, single page picture, ...more
Mary Larkin
Skippyjon Jones Cirque De Ole

Have you ever been to a circus? Well, it’s always a circus with Skippyjon Jones around! The title of the story is Cirque de Ole. What do you think Skippyjon will encounter on his adventure? We’re about to find out as we read this story.

Openings: Prompts brief sharing of personal experiences related to theme or topic, raise question to spark curiosity, prompt predictions based on title

I chose this book because Judy Schachner wrote a very lively story that enthralls s
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
One thing I especially love about the Skippyjon Jones books is the rhyme and alliteration throughout! Schachner nails it by creating whimsical stories with delightfully amusing sentences and antics. She does a good job of incorporating Spanish words and allowing the context to illustrate their meaning. This story was wacky, as usual, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the wild and colorful pictures. Definitely a must-read for people who’ve enjoyed past Skippyjon Jones books. And I'm sure Cirqu ...more
Sean
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't have much to say about tis book except that I love it and all the Skippyjon Jones books. (I'm 50 years old, by the way, and I don't have children.) The opening sentences, though, deserve to be mentioned, since they had be doubled up in laughter in the lunch room at work.

Skippyjon Jones was a real High-Wire Henry. And that made his mama as worried as a worm in a wading pool.
“Oh, my fleas,” wailed Mama Junebug Jones. “Come down from that wire before you break all your bones!”
“He can’t hea
The Badger
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
My students adore these books, and I have so much fun reading them to the class! I used to schedule "Skippy-dates" with students who were having a rough time (I'm the counselor) and we'd go somewhere private to read, but as time went on my quiet kids started asking if they could bring friends. Of course! Except then we'd end up with so many kids that I'd just set up "classroom dates" instead!

P.S. I thought Skippy was a chihuahua in cat "drag" for several books. It didn't "click" that he was real
Avery Maxwell
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I adore this story of Skippyjon Jones, the cat who wants to join the circus as a Chihuahua. The pictures were so colorful and vibrant that I stayed focused the whole time. I also enjoyed how the author incorporated Spanish into the story because it would help students to learn words in another language. The rhyming used was also very creative and the story actually made me smile to myself. I think that this is a book that I would use this book in the classroom because it was engaging and enterta ...more
Amanda Behrends
Summary - Skippyjon Jones takes off on an imaginary adventure with his friends los chimichangos to become an acrobat in Cirque de Ole.
Curriculum connection - Using context clues to decode unfamiliar words.
Personal Reaction - I loved this book. I liked the mix of Spanish and English words and the cure rhythm and song like nature of the text.
Visual Appeal - I thought the bright images and the interesting proportions were great and the detail in the illustrations give children lots to take in.
Inte
Dolly
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Yet another hilarious story starring our favorite little kitty boy. We read this book together and then we followed along with the book as we listened to Judy Schachner narrate it on CD.

It's funny and lyrical and teaches a little bit of Spanish and French. We really enjoyed reading this book together and we hope that more books in the Skippyjon Jones series will be published soon.
Angela Dell
I am Judy Schachner's biggest fan, I love Skippyjon Jones! This particular story was not my favorite in the series. The illustrations are beautiful and bright, but the storyline was not as strong. The humor in all the books was still present but I was hoping for a more developed story climax. My first grade students laughed and enjoyed the dialogue but the students too were taken back by the abrupt ending
Shelley
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I have a hard time with these books because of the mixed Spanish/English language. I think these would be good books to incorporate in ESL classes and they would also work well in libraries with ESL students. I don't have much of a calling for these but they do give children some basics in the Spanish language and the stories are fun for younger readers. In this one the little cat sets off to the circus.
Amber Friel
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am a huge Schachner fan and my daughter and I have read every Skippyjon Jones book we can get our hands on. This one just didn't do it for me. I felt that the Spanish words were forced and it lacked the usual rhythm of Judy's books. The pictures are still awesome and I continue to be impressed by her ability to channel children in such an honest way. Over all, I think we'd probably choose one of the other Skippyjon books in our library over this one.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I love Skippyjon Jones. I love the frantic pace, the slightly-off references, the creative nicknames and the playfulness of it all. I love that each book opens with Skippyjon Jones going off to his room -- either because he's done wrong or another reason -- and yet a whole other world opens up there. I love his sisters. I just love these books. Cirque de Ole is cute, as usual. Skippyjon Jones is mischievous in the best ways.
Kat
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2013
Basic Plot: Skippyjon Jones has a circus adventure!

This Skippyjon adventure has our favorite Chihuahua Siamese cat joining the circus! The story was fun, the art was quality, and the rhymes/songs had my little boy clapping along happily. The stories continue to be quality efforts. I'm beginning to really feel for Mama Junebug as she deals with her precocious little boy as mine gets to be more and more like hers.
Morgan
I was not a fan of this book. Skippyjon Jones is a kitty who, when gets into trouble, pretends he is a little dog going on adventures. In this children's book Skippyjon Jones is the start of the circus. When reading this book I found it somewhat difficult to follow because there was a lot going on on each pages. I wasn't sure what to focus on. I do like that the book uses some Spanglish in it though. This might be handy for Spanish speaking students in the classroom.
Kallie Krammes
This would be a good book if a classroom has Spanish and English speakers in it. This would be a good way to bring the children together by appreciating both languages and making the children feel more togetherness despite the differences of the language. Good story but it would be a little too long for younger kids and they may lose their attention span during it.
Brittany
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another very cute book in the Skippyjon Jones series. This one seemed to contain more Spanish words, something that should be taken into account for read-alouds. But once again, loved the story and the mischief of this adorable fur-ball. The illustrations in the book are on a whole new level as well. Skippyjon is extra expressive in this one!
Aleisha Z Coleman
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
can I tell you how much I love Skippy Jon Jones? I don't really think I can...he is absolutely the most adorable cat/chihuahua EVER! the thing that I love about these books is that I can read them over and over and over to my nieces and nephews and never get tired of how cute, imaginative and funny they are!
Matt
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, spanish
This is a very fun and witty book that should keep readers interested through-out the entire story. This would be a very good book to read aloud to a class because at time the students can be interactive with the story. This book also allows you to introduce another language with the combination of Spanglish and Spanish.
Gianna Mosser
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
We heart Skippyjon Jones for life, but this one was a little too much premise, light on vocab and character development. Mama Junebug is tired and irritated with her children, which actually seems fair the way that Skippy refuses to listen to anything she says. Something of the lightness and the mischief was out of this title, but perhaps I was just creeped out in general by the circus setting.
Sarah Marie
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the type of book your child wants to read over and over. Skippyjon has confidence and personality in spades. When his moment comes under the big tent, you'll be cheering him on.

The illustrations are beautifully done, too. Such a wonderful compliment to the text.

My daughters {ages 3 and 7} adore Skippyjon. Your children will too!
  • Secret Agent Splat!
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool
  • Curious George Plants A Tree
  • Wodney Wat's Wobot
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • Meow Said the Cow
"I was the last child and only daughter born to Edward and Mary Francis Byron on August 20th, 1951 in the city of Waltham, Massachusetts. My oldest brother Ted was very good at art and my middle brother Kevin kept me laughing with his funny stories.

Growing up we didn't have much money. My mother was very ill, and to make matters worse, I was extremely shy. All my teachers complained that "Judith n
More about Judy Schachner...

Skippyjon Jones (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Skippyjon Jones
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble (Skippyjon Jones, #3)
  • Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)
  • Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice (Skippyjon Jones, #5)
  • Skippyjon Jones, Class Action