Start by marking “Netflixed: The Epic Battle for America's Eyeballs” as Want to Read:
Netflixed: The Epic Battle for America's Eyeballs

Netflixed: The Epic Battle for America's Eyeballs

Netflix has come a long way since 1997, when two Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, Marc Randolph and Reed Hastings, decided to start an online DVD store before most people owned a DVD player. They were surprised and elated when launch-day traffic in April 1998 crashed their server and resulted in 150 sales. Today, Netflix has more than 25 million subscribers and annual revenue ...more
Published October 11th 2012 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Netflixed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Netflixed

Start your review of Netflixed: The Epic Battle for America's Eyeballs
Tony
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s impossible for me to review a book like this disinterestedly. After all, for the first three and a half years of Netflix’s existence, I was running Europe’s largest online video and DVD retailer. So the first half of this book is like a giant trip down memory lane — not necessarily in the specific details, as our story played out quite differently, but in terms of lots of the wider arguments and decisions, and in particular the constant struggle to convince investors, and the press etc that ...more
Michelle
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a business book about the rise of Netflix and how it competed against Blockbuster and to a lesser extent Redbox. It's a lot of interesting facts. The start of Netflix and how it developed under Reed Hasting as he moved for more control over the company.

The most interesting part is how Blockbuster implodes. Under Antioco reign, they were able to quickly create an online DVD rental service that compete with Netflix, got rid of late fees (despite the store franchisees complaints to keep it
David
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-bio-s
As soon as I saw this book while perusing Amazon I knew it was a must read.

Having worked at Blockbuster for 3 years during their decline and the ridiculousness of trying to sell books and other merchandise to customers, I knew that part of the story pretty well.

I am a solid believer in competition, and personally have always been more of a theater goer or a spur of the moment movie renter. I always just figured Netflix users were pretty patient people that didn't mind waiting for new releases.
C.
Now I know who to blame for the end of VHS and the change to DVD, because they were cheaper to mail!

Really fascinating read about the history/growth of Netflix, from VHS to DVD to today's streaming movies, and how those two brilliant young men were behind those changes.
Mitchell
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I pulled Netflixed off the library shelves as I was browsing in person, I was mostly thinking of them as an impressive technology company. Netflix uses Cassandra, a well thought of NoSQL database, and provides some of the best of the tools around that, which I've used for several years now. And Netflix has had some great sessions at Oscon, mostly around their devops practices like the simian army.

Netflix the service is something I have mostly dodged. I was never a customer of th
Jessica
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through a First Reads giveaway on Goodreads, and was extremely interested in the company who provides a service I use monthly yet know very little about. Netflixed focused mostly on the battle between Blockbuster and Netflix than it did anything else, though Redbox does get a few mentions. I was surprised how fascinating I found the entire story of Blockbuster's demise, and it explained a lot of what I experienced growing up - Blockbuster stores selling overpriced candy, changing their la ...more
Mark
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I came into this book fresh off "Shoe Dog" and I was hoping that this would provide a similar story - the story of a company with insights from the founders. While the book was definitely worth the read, it was more of a strategic read and focused less on the thoughts and motives of the company founders other than to create a great company that shipped plastic disks back and forth, as founder Marc Randolph mused at the very end of the book.

The content of the book is a fairly linear story about
Paul
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting read and I learned a great deal about the early years of Netflix and how it competed against rivals and grew at a time when many thought their business model would not work.
There is a huge amount of coverage on Blockbuster here which is just as fascinating (if not more so) as we get an incite as to what went wrong and with the magic of hindsight it does make for interesting reading as to how they got it so wrong.

I was hoping that this would cover more recent history t
The Motivated Rambler
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
A book that let me down within the first couple of chapters. First off, reading about two wealthy individuals with prestigious backgrounds get together to make more money doesn't really motivate me to to keep on reading. In the early stages, one of the founders concentrated more on job titles than a business plan. I guess that is an acceptable way of doing things when you already have a couple million dollars in the bank. Did they accomplish great things with Netflix? Of course. However, I felt ...more
Sumit Gouthaman
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though "Netflix" appears prominently in the name, this book seems to cover both Netflix and Blockbuster in equal detail. It focuses on the time period from 1998 to 2013.

I really enjoyed the format of this book. The story at Netflix and Blockbuster interleave in each chapter, keeping the reader engaged.

There are many business related lessons to learn from this book. Chief among them: 1. Don't underestimate your competition, 2. Don't underestimate the disruption caused
Chris
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This was a great, and very interesting read. It starts with the formation of Netflix and goes through their battle with Blockbuster and continues through 2010 with their CEO problems.

The story was extremely well written, the main focus is the battle between Netflix and Blockbuster, and it does a great job of showing the intents and struggles people in both companies faced as they attempted to not only stay in business themselves, but put the other out of business.

Even if
pinK
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I received this book from a First Reads giveaway.

I have been using Netflix for years, but I never understood the size of it. I had no idea they were even bigger han iTunes and Comcast, that seems so amazing to me. I think I've enjoyed this book more than any First Reads I've received lately.

I've always seen Netflix as a small service I use, not as a company that eats up nearly half the country's bandwidth. That boggles my brain.

I would recommend this to anyone that wants
KJ
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this book a while back in the Giveaways and just got around to reading it due to being busy at school. The business aspects of this book were really interesting and intriguing at times. As someone who normally loves to read novels it wasn't my favorite read but I was surprisingly interested! It took me a while to read it, seeing as it was a text book and I had to read it alongside my other school work but I recommend this to anyone interested in business/marketing.
Esmeralda
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
"every big oak come from a small seed"
I may be a little irogence but I always pictured the big companies always big. I was interesting to get to know the story behind them. The writing was forcus and to the point. I like to see the struggle. I normally don't read this type of book but it was an interesting experience broading my horizon. Thank you for giving me the opportunity of reading this free book. won from firstreads.
Elke
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
As far as business books go, this was great! Netflix's history is such a roller coaster with so so many hurdles along the way - they persevered with huge losses for so long. Reed Hastings, the CEO, sounds like quite a character. It was also fun learning about the demise of Blockbuster - they made one big mistake which killed the company, right at a time when the company could have gone the other direction. Page turner!
Pamela Scott
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
It was a very informative read made me laugh at times and in shock at other time great knowledge was learned about today's society from this book.
Pete Johnson
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This book should have been called "Blockbuster: A How-to guide to running a company into the ground".
Byrne
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the sources the author cultivated, this book was going to be a story of the Blockbuster comeback until the last minute when Blockbuster didn't come back.
Alex Nagler
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Received a copy thanks to Goodreads Advance Read. Enjoyable text on the birth and growth of a company whose envelopes and ability to stream we're all familiar with.
Brian
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting, worth a read for anyone interested in business ad technology.
Vincent
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Dense, but gives good insight about how Netflix changed the game.
Miguel Silva
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good walkthrough from humble origins to recent events.

Great read for those wondering how they managed to drive blockbuster out of business and turn an industry on their heads.
Mehmet
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good and rather detailed narrative of the rise of Netflix and their rivalry with Blockbuster. The book chronicles the founding of Netflix (dispelling some myths along the way), its rather rapid rise to the top of the video rental business, Blockbuster’s attempts to copy and beat them, how and why that didn’t work out, and their eventual demise.

The book uses a chronological approach in relating the story, which sometimes works out well but doesn’t in other times. Especially in later chapt
Ameya Joshi
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
There are going to be 2 kinds of audiences for this book. (1) People from the industry - tech, showbiz, employees of Blockbuster, Netflix, Redbox etc. who know bits and pieces of this tale and want an overarching narrative with some corroboration. For these - Netflixed will probably be perfect. (2) The other kind of audience would be the 'layperson' who doesn't really know the nitty-gritties of this fight, late adopters, international readers etc. For this audience (which I assume will be larger ...more
Sally Sugarman
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Since we were early subscribers to Neflix, I was intrigued to read about its origins. The book shows how forward thinking business executives, using some of the most sophisticated methods of data gathering and being open to the possibilities of new technology can build a business that will change the way people view films and television. The first days of creative thinking on the part of a number of people in the tech field is the most exciting part of the book. The details about how to merchand ...more
Utkarsh Modi
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book # 12 Netflixed: The Epic Battle for America’s Eyeballs could as well have been renamed as Netflix vs Blockbuster: David vs Goliath (with occasional guest appearances by Walmart and Amazon). The book is an engrossing read and quite fast paced at that to the point of being a thriller. The book talks about how Netflix was founded by Reed Hastings, about betrayals and differences in vision which led to cofounders parting ways and then focuses (and to the writer’s credit - quite indepth) on the ...more
Abdul Basidh
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Picked up this book after listening to the Business Wars episode on Netflix vs Blockbuster vs HBO. Though the book does a good job in highlighting the rise of Netflix and the downfall of Blockbuster, it fails at few places.

1. This book does not talk about the impact Netflix had on cable TV channels like HBO, Showtime etc.

2. Timing of this book seems too early. This book was published in 2012. A lot of things have happened at Netflix and the streaming market post 2012. Thi
Trung Nguyen Dang
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is really so-so, not great by a first time author. Gina only has access to a co-founder Marc Randolph who left after Reed Hastings, the other co-founder, returned to take over management when Netflix became more grown-up.
Overall Netflix's success has a lot to do with luck, and such a competitor, Blockbuster, who was so blind-sided with store retails. Even when Blockbuster got it right, and was seriously hurting Netflix, and was doing so well with their Total Access, both online +
Jacob Da
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have given this book a rating of 4 stars. I gave this book a 4-star rating because I really liked how the author of this book went through the hardships that this company went through to get to where they are today. I also liked how he didn't skip any detail through the whole process of becoming a very popular app, the whole history behind Netflix was very interesting but I found it kind of slow in some parts where they were just at a meeting and the author would still be writing, but overall ...more
Naomi
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty interesting read. Gave more of an overview of the DVD rental industry versus an indepth look at the inner workings of Netflix, which is what I was more interested in. I still walked away with a better Netflix model understanding, particularly as to how it competed and eventually brought down Blockbuster.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry
  • Marissa Mayer and the Fight to Save Yahoo!
  • Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship, and Betrayal
  • Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Minecraft: The Unlikely Tale of Markus "Notch" Persson and the Game that Changed Everything
  • The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work
  • The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World
  • Rigged: The True Story of an Ivy League Kid Who Changed the World of Oil, from Wall Street to Dubai
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Bitcoin Billionaires: A True Story of Genius, Betrayal, and Redemption
  • The Airbnb Story: How Three Ordinary Guys Disrupted an Industry, Made Billions . . . and Created Plenty of Controversy
  • Who Is Michael Ovitz?
“Founders often had to step aside to let corporate “grown-ups” raise their babies—that was just how Silicon Valley worked.” 0 likes
“On the surface, Netflix is a massive video store; taking in cash for monthly renting rights and loaning out DVDs to the consumer.” 0 likes