Start by marking “Stake & Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #4)” as Want to Read:
Stake & Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #4)

Stake & Eggs

(Cackleberry Club #4)

New York Times bestselling author Laura Childs presents the best way to start your day—with a hearty breakfast and a side of hard-boiled murder.

A KILLER HAS THE T
Published November 6th 2012 by Berkley (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stake & Eggs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stake & Eggs

Mayda
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Don’t start reading this book until you have a blanket on your lap, some nourishment on a plate, and a hot drink in your hand. Most of the action in this story is outside during the winter, and the author paints a realistic setting of frozen snow and ice. In fact, a winter festival is part of the scene, along with a snowmobile accident. . . or was it murder? A good time sure wasn’t had by all, but you’ll have a good time reading this tale. With lots of action, an intriguing plot, endearing chara ...more
Loraine
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
When a snowmobile crashes into the woods behind the Cackleberry Club cafè, Suzanne finds her town’s most-hated banker beheaded by a wire staked in the snow. Now some of her best customers are prime suspects with a bushel of motives, and the murder investigation is snowballing. An elusive young runaway may be the Cackleberry Club’s only way to crack the case…provided Suzanne can keep her head long enough to track down the cold-blooded killer.

Laura Childs' Cackleberry Club mysteries are quick, eas
Craftnut -
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries-cozy
Another cozy mystery from Laura Childs, the Cackleberry Club series is just plain fun. Three middle aged women own a cafe with eggs as their big draw served in very creative ways. Some of the recipes are in the back of the book, plus there are more ideas that a recipe isn't needed like poached eggs in popovers. The writing is easy and the novel is a fast read, like most in this genre. I do enjoy the way this author paints pictures with words - you feel the cold winter and the softness of the yar ...more
Sandy
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cosy-mysteries
The Cackleberry Club gals are back for another mystery. The banker no one likes is found dead outside of the club because of a snowmobile accident - or was it?

This story features a small town Fire and Ice Festival being celebrated in January complete with ice fishing contest, ice sculpture and a party at the Cackleberry Club to finish the festival.

I thought this one was very well written with lots of suspects and a surprise in the end.

Toni's on again off again husband is back with a car junker
Glenda
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cackleberry Club does it again. Solved the mystery and served good food in their restaurant, sold books in the bookstore,had classes and gatherings in the knitting/sewing room. I wish I personally knew these ladies..hey, I wish I were one of them...
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series. It's a light cozy with heroines who are getting middle-aged, which is a lovely change of pace from the youngsters!
Dixie
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great series
Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't find any fault with any of Laura Child's series. Ever. enjoyable read, and I love the characters in this series.
Angela
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Winter has come to Kindred and it is holding nothing back! The town is covered in ice and snow and there is an extreme chill in the air. The chill isn't all from the plummeting temperatures outside either, for there has just been a terrible murder in the woods behind the Cackleberry Club. People snowmobile all the time in Kindred in the winter, but it's not often that kills them, like it has the big swig hated banker in town. Suzanne has seen a lot of death in the last 10 months, but this is by ...more
Mascanlon
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
What do you get with a breakfast diner, yarn and book store along with a tea shop? A lot of fun with the Cackleberry Club ladies. 3 strong women making their way in a small town thats has an usually high number of murders!As always Laure presents a strong cast of characters and good plot line along with some interesting tidbits...in this case about ice fishing and ice sculpting.
Sharon Chance
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy anything that Laura Childs writes, but her Cackleberry Club stories are just a hoot! Full of fun, mystery and friendship, this latest story in the series is just a great tale. I highly recommend this series!
Catherine
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book.

Michelle
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the 4th book in the series. The snow is starting to come down and in preparing to close, they hear a crash of a snowmobile out back. What they find is a gruesome death of the town’s banker thanks to a wire strung out. There are many potential suspects, including farmers who were being foreclosed on, and even the possibility of the banker’s wife. A young runaway may be the key to unlocking the mystery, but Suzanne has to find him before it is too late. Suzanne works with Toni and Petra to ...more
Melissa
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Suzanne hears a snowmobile out back that suddenly stops and goes out to investigate. She finds the bank president's body- and his head nearby. Someone strung a wire. Usual repetitious description of the knitting nook and the book nook at her restaurant. Her man-friend Sam sounds really nice. Several perilous adventures and a rather short conclusion. I also think a car-cooker would be a waste of gas and another unnecessary source of pollution but that's Junior for you.
Ann Boytim
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Suzanne, Toni and Petra have a successful business owning the Cackleberry Club Cafe and serve breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea in the small town they all live in. A snowmobile crashes behind their Cafe and the town's most hated banker is found beheaded by a wire staked in the snow. Some of the cafe's best customers become suspects and Suzanne is committed to clear their names and find the killer.
Janet Donath
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely was not the guilty suspect that I expected. Like the Cackleberry Club series since it shows you don't have to be twenty-something to have adventures. Not sure that I am game to keep up with Suzanne.
Argiri Maglari
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: brace2018, 2018
Even if it was a good book to read, which flows smoothly, I found the plot rather flat: a murder, a hunting, the discovery of the killer (and a lot of food!).
Lyn Soulia smith
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a wonderful group of women who will give you a few laughs and head shakes. Good book
Kim
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After a very gross start (to me), I ended up enjoying the Cackleberry Club once again. I love the idea of a shop/restaurant like that.
Aurian Booklover
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The ladies are getting ready for the Fire and Ice Festival, that will start the next day, and they will be hosting the Winter’s Blaze this Sunday. Toni is excited about the treasure hunt, which has a grand prize of $ 3.000,00 and she sure can use that money. But is she really ready to divorce her deadbeat husband Junior this time?

They are waiting for the banker, Ben Busacker, the new president of the Kindred State Bank, to come over and discuss the plans with. Ben is not very popular around Kind
Amy
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great addition to the series! I'm really getting to know and like the girls much better. Not that I didn't like them before but watching them go through even more adventures is increasing my fondness for them. This mystery was very well thought out and again I had no idea who the real perpetrator was. What was super interesting was Junior. The more I see him the more that lovable dope grows on me :-) I love his new invention and I'm very curious to see what ends up happening with it. Hop ...more
Cathy Cole
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
First Line: Ice pellets blasted the windows of the Cackleberry Club.

It's whiteout conditions in Kindred, Minnesota, and everyone has headed for home. Now that the Cackleberry Club Café is cleaned up and ready for the next day's business, home is exactly where owner Suzanne Dietz and her two partners Toni and Petra are headed, too... until the sounds of a racing snowmobile and a crash make Suzanne race out the backdoor into the snow.

She finds bank president Ben Busacker's decapitated body thrown
LORI CASWELL
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Suzanne, Toni and Petra found a second life after losing their husbands. They opened the Cackleberry Club, a cafe featuring yummy egg dishes. But they never thought sleuthing would come to be the special of the day.

A KILLER HAS THE TOWN WALKING ON EGGSHELLS.

A loud crash is heard behind the cafe. Suzanne rushes out in a blizzard to see what caused the commotion. She finds the town's most hated baker beheaded. He was riding his snowmobile and ran through a wire staked in the snow. When some the ca
Heather
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Title: Stake & Eggs (Cackleberry Club Mystery #4)

Author: Laura Childs

ISBN: 9780425255575

Publisher: Penguin

Synopsis (from bn.com): Suzanne, Toni, and Petra found a second life after losing their husbands—opening their own successful business, the Cackleberry Club cafè. But the three women never expected sleuthing to be the special of the day…

Katreader
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stake and Eggs by Laura Childs

Fourth in the Cackleberry Club Mystery Series

Stake and Eggs is the fourth book in the Cackleberry Club mystery series by Laura Childs. The first three books, while good, had a religious overtone with affirmations and group hugs that I found to be a bit much. This aspect was hardly apparent in Stake and Eggs and with it gone I really enjoyed the book.

Suzanne, Petra, and Toni are three women of a certain age who are partners in the Cackleberry Club-a cafe that special
Andrea Stoeckel
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Cackleberry Club is helping the town of Kindred celebrate the season of winter by hosting a few preeminant programs during the town's Fire and Ice celebration. Suzanne, Toni and Petra are going all out to support the community, and to help their bottom line.

Until, the new bank manager is found after a freak accident dead behind the restaurant, and Sherrif Doogie, in between stuffing his face at the counter and wondering who the perpetrator is, is trying to keep everyone safe.

In between deali
Nancy
Jul 31, 2013 added it

Kaye
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again the Cackleberry Club owned by Suzanne, Petra, and Toni becomes the center of a murder investigation. During a blizzard they hear a loud crash and Suzanne goes out to find the town's most hated banker involved in a snowmobile crash and he's been beheaded. Some of their customers become prime suspects, so Suzanne, Petra, and Toni launch their own investigation. They not only have a murder investigation to run (along with Sheriff Doogie's help), but they have to keep the cafe running, pa ...more
Nancy Rogan
Feb 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Laura Childs' Scrapbooking Mysteries and Tea Shop Mysteries are 2 of my favorite series. I enjoyed the first couple of books in this Cackleberry Club Mystery series, but I think this one fell flat. There is not enough substance to the book and the mystery itself ends with several puzzling questions. The idea that this diner-type restaurant also has a bookstore-nook and a yarn-nook and is possibly going to add a vintage items-nook is ridiculous. How big is this place? It says to me that this seri ...more
Emily
Mar 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was excited to read this book because I love Laura Childs' teashop mysteries, but I was majorly disappointed. I felt that the main character was too much trying to imitate the tea-shop Theodosia (down to the cute entrepreneur spirit) and couldn't see the appeal of an egg cafe (where a tea shop was lovable). Childs follows the "Mr. X" theory of mystery writing, where the one person you don't expect is the killer. If she had written before Agatha Christie, this would have been a great plot twist ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Stake & Eggs 1 3 Dec 29, 2012 02:24PM

• Let It Sew (A Southern Sewing Circle, #7)
  • Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #8)
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Deadly Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #1)
  • A Killer Maize (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #4)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • Fonduing Fathers (A White House Chef Mystery, #6)
  • Nightshade on Elm Street (A Flower Shop Mystery, #13)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • Death Comes Silently (Death on Demand, #22)
  • Holiday Buzz (Coffeehouse Mystery, #12)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
  • How to Dine on Killer Wine (Party Planning, #5)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Bran New Death (Merry Muffin Mystery, #1)
Laura Childs is a pseudonym for Gerry Schmitt and she is the best-selling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, the Scrapbook Mysteries, and the Cackleberry Club Mysteries.

Laura Childs is the New York Times bestselling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, Scrapbook Mysteries, and Cackleberry Club Mysteries. In her previous life she was CEO/Creative Director of her own marketing firm and authored several

Cackleberry Club (8 books)
  • Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1)
  • Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)
  • Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)
  • Eggs in a Casket (Cackleberry Club, #5)
  • Scorched Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #6)
  • Egg Drop Dead (Cackleberry Club, #7)
  • Eggs on Ice (Cackleberry Club, #8)