Start by marking “Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead” as Want to Read:

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  35,522 Ratings  ·  3,356 Reviews
Researcher and thought leader Dr. Brené Brown offers a powerful new vision that encourages us to dare greatly: to embrace vulnerability and imperfection, to live wholeheartedly, and to courageously engage in our lives.

Published September 11th 2012 by Avery (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Daring Greatly, please sign up.

Fran I would think so! I'm only 10% in so far and there's already a lot of scope for discussion and learning.
Suzanne Not at all. The concepts apply to any relationship: work, family, love, friends.
Quiet by Susan CainEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertDaring Greatly by Brené BrownThe Gifts of Imperfection by Brené BrownThe Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
books from TED
3rd out of 81 books — 301 voters
The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené BrownDaring Greatly by Brené BrownI Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't) by Brené BrownThe Happiness Project by Gretchen RubinQuiet by Susan Cain
Books to help Women Live Healthy and Happy
2nd out of 120 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

Cecily
Feb 19, 2013 Cecily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Cecily by: Everyone
This book came highly recommended by seemingly the entire internet, and the concept was one I'm VERY familiar with. I'd watched a couple of Brene Brown's TED talks and I was impressed with the topic of her research and with how long and how thoroughly she's been researching.

Oh yeah, and I also remembered that I am the most sewn up and invulnerable control freak that I know. It's been something I'm aware of, and I wasn't always this way. But I know it's keeping me from joy and love in a lot of a
Timm DiStefano
May 04, 2013 Timm DiStefano rated it really liked it
"For me, and for many of us, our first waking thought of the day is "I didn't get enough sleep." The next one is "I don't have enough time." Whether true or not, that thought of not enough occurs to us automatically before we even think to question or examine it. We spend most of the hours and the days of our lives hearing, explaining, complaining, or worrying about what we don't have enough of... Before we even sit up in bed, before our feet touch the floor, we're already inadequate, already be ...more
Jane
Sep 17, 2013 Jane rated it did not like it
I usually don't bother writing reviews for books I can't finish. And usually I give the book a fair chance -- say, at least 100 pages -- before giving up. Some books I even read all the way to the end before wishing I could just get my time back.

In this case, I read an interview with the author in O Magazine, and the interview was so interesting that I immediately requested this book from the library.

Well, once the book arrived, I quickly discovered that I had trouble following even the introdu
Andy
Mar 02, 2016 Andy rated it it was ok
Teddy Roosevelt is spinning in his grave if he can hear how his famous quote about "daring greatly" has been turned into sappy psychobabble.

The main theme of the book is "shame." To the author, this is a fundamentally bad thing, even though she acknowledges that shameless people are sociopaths. She also makes the claim that shame has never been shown to be helpful. Actually, there is research suggesting that shame-based societies have less crime and mental illness than societies that are more i
Alice Gold
Do you want to change the world?
Do you want to have more powerful interpersonal relationships?
Do you want to explore into your own soul
to make sense of your life?
Do you want to live whole-hearted?
Do you want to rid yourself from shame?
Do you want to understand men and women better?
Do you want to give your heart a hug?

I thought I would do something different this time and give you a list of questions for this book review. This book is so jam-packed with the "hard stuff" that I don't even want to
Robyn
Nov 18, 2012 Robyn rated it liked it
This book was recommended on a blog that I follow by a person whose thinking somewhat mirrors mine. She recommended it in a big way, so I was anxious to read it. And I'm feeling odd about not giving it a higher rating, because I think it probably deserves one. I'm giving it three stars not because I have issues with the content (exactly) or with the writing, but because the subject matter is old hat to me.

Ms. Brown is fairly well known as a speaker and writer on the subject of 'shame' and how it
Kelly
Dec 31, 2013 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book rocked, and I was very interested in learning more about how to be more vulnerable and dare to do more things. However, the book was written completely in generalities. I need to hear the details of your research, the way you helped clients overcome their problems with vulnerability, facts, and stories. I need concrete advice and concrete science. Couldn't finish this fluffy-ass book.
Sarah Nicole
Oct 23, 2012 Sarah Nicole rated it it was amazing
Daring Greatly is dense with information on how to combat shame and become vulnerable, authentic, and courageous - not just in romantic relationships, but at work and with your children as well. I have always struggled with vulnerability, but Brown makes a very convincing case as to why it is so important - we can't live fully and wholeheartedly without it. I look forward to implementing some of her strategies, and I am sure that I will be revisiting often. Really a must read for anyone who feel ...more
Anna
Jul 02, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
I liked what I learned from this book, but boy, it was hard to keep reading at times because the writing simply didn't hold my attention. I finished it over so many sittings, picking it up and putting it down, that I almost forgot what the first part was about when I finished it. It wasn't that it was academically dry, because it wasn't at all, but that even with the anecdotes, it became dull and redundant after the first few chapters. I wish it went a bit deeper into the concepts instead of rep ...more
Theresa
Mar 22, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Brene Brown is fabulous, and I’m so happy I finally got to read this book. I started reading one of her other books, one that was more specifically about her research around shame, and it wasn’t what I needed to be reading then. This, though, was what I needed. She still talks a lot about shame and about fear, and it’s in ways that are relevant for me in my day-to-day life and my work.
One of my favorite parts is her discussion of how over-sharing is not the same as vulnerability. That’s so impo
L
Jun 27, 2013 L rated it it was amazing
Okay so this author uses Harry Potter, fellow TED favorite Ken Robinson, Top Gun, Teddy Roosevelt, John Gottman, and even The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin... How could I not like this book with all those references to items I like? Yet, she bases this book around solid research and combines together her own personal stories in the right moments to demonstrate her thesis.

Daring greatly... A phrase she has used from Roosevelt.... She writes, "everything I've learned from over a decade of re
Thomas
Jun 06, 2014 Thomas rated it really liked it
I picked up Daring Greatly after watching Brene Brown's amazing TED Talk on the power of vulnerability. I find it fascinating that someone can conduct research centered on human topics such as shame, vulnerability, connection, and happiness. When I first entered college I possessed the notion that research was something done with test tubes and beakers in the back of a laboratory, but Brown's work shows that in-depth research can apply to anyone, inside or outside of academia.

The quality of Brow
Patricia
Sep 10, 2013 Patricia is currently reading it
These are my favorite parts of this book:

"Wholehearted living is about engaging in our lives from a place of worthiness. It means cultivating the courage, compassion, and connection to wake up in the morning and think, No matter what gets done and how much is left undone, I am enough. It's going to bed at night thinking, Yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable and sometimes afraid, but that doesn't change the truth that I am also brave and worthy of love and belonging." (p. 10)

"When it comes to paren
Tima
Dec 15, 2014 Tima rated it it was ok
Every single day we face the decision to be vulnerable or dare greatly. Brown uses the book as a medium to explain how we can take shame and vulnerability and exchange them for meaning and purpose in our lives. There aren't really any step-by-step instructions so much as a thought process that needs to be changed in the way we think and approach circumstances.

The book is going to really fly off the shelves for those who have a need for change in their lives or enjoy reading self-help books. It i
Gwen
May 14, 2014 Gwen rated it it was ok
Recommended to Gwen by: Larissa
Shelves: well-being
I really, really, really wanted to like this book. It came so highly recommended, and it started off so well. The first chapter was spectacular--I found myself nodding along to just about everything: feeling vulnerable, a culture of scarcity, the new economy, etc. This book was speaking to me. My fears, my anxieties, my worries. And I hoped Brown would be the person to help guide me through it all.

But no.

The book promptly went downhill--and fast. Instead of direction and guidance, we get narrati
Christy Johnson
Aug 18, 2013 Christy Johnson rated it it was amazing
This was a great book - one of the better books of this type that I've read. There were some really great thoughts that will change me. Even with all the analysis and tools, I still struggle with how to actually make vulnerability happen in my own life. Some of my favorite quotes from the book:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena
Rachel Smalter Hall
If you're already familiar with Brené Brown's popular TED talk, Daring Greatly follows much in the same vein.

I wasn't familiar with her work, and expected this book to contain practical insights into creativity, innovation, and risk-taking. But instead it remained wholly in the territory of Brown's academic research on shame and vulnerability.

Brown's work is interesting, but not at all what I'd intended to read. With a giant pile of TBR books waiting on my nightstand, my time spent on this book
Gail
Feb 11, 2016 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-in-2014
I did it again with this book: I pretty much dog-earred every other page! Something I'm working on in 2016 is scaling back with this technique, especially when I have a tendency to abuse it. But dang it all if Brene's insights weren't so great in this (my first read of hers) that I couldn't help myself. I'll share some of my favorites below, but overall a few thoughts:

1) Brene's writing grew on me--I've read enough about her to know she feels her strength is as a researcher, less as a writer. In
Dominic
Nov 28, 2012 Dominic rated it it was amazing
I feel like it was beautiful serendipity that I stumbled upon Daring Greatly. After reading an interview with Brené Brown someone had posted on Facebook and then finally watching her TED talks on vulnerability and shame (another colleague had recommended TED.com to me a couple years ago, and I'm just now getting on that beautiful train), I knew I had to get my hands on this book.

Three days later I carried the book in my hand. Three days after that I had devoured it. It turns out that these had
Julie Ekkers
Oct 28, 2012 Julie Ekkers rated it it was amazing
Daring Greatly presents a strong case for making one's self more vulnerable, which the author would define as showing up and letting one's self be seen--being the man in the arena from the Teddy Roosevelt speech from which the book takes its name. Brown's writing style is knowledgeable, but straightforward, just like her TED talks. Just like those talks, this book gave me a lot of terrific things to think about: the relationship between vulnerability and trust, the importance of boundaries and h ...more
Darcy
Mar 19, 2015 Darcy rated it it was amazing
I loved this. It's going on the "reread when you need to be fortified/inspired/emboldened" shelf. Also, I don't have kids but I thought the chapter on parenting was just great. Note to self: reread that when you do have a kid. Many thanks to my childhood BFF for recommending.
Chrissy
Jul 14, 2013 Chrissy rated it really liked it
I was almost resolved not to read this because I first learned about it from an Oprah magazine interview. The fact that the author is a shame and vulnerability researcher weren't selling points because it sounded like it would be a self help book that would provoke so many uncomfortable feelings inside. Want to feel vulnerable? Want to feel shame? Not really, not today.
But once I chose to read it, I saw that the author was pointing to a broader definition of vulnerability, one that encompasses b
Charity
Jun 03, 2013 Charity rated it really liked it
I'm torn about the value of this book. I have been a Brene Brown fan for quite some time as an online course I teach for another university requires students to watch her TED talk on vulnerability. It has moved me on several levels. My favorite quote is that vulnerability is the birthplace of joy. This book dives deeper into the issues behind vulnerability, namely shame and guilt. Hence, the book is actually quite difficult to read. It's a bit dark in places with light at the end of the tunnel. ...more
Stephanie
Oct 19, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a book! The title comes from an amazing quote by Theodore Roosevelt encouraging us all to give things our best shot("...the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly...")

The basic thesis is that in order to live our best lives, we need to be vulnerable: to go all out in
Lisa Nelson
Dec 30, 2014 Lisa Nelson rated it liked it
3.5

This was a terrific book with interesting personal examples that helped give context to some of the theories in the book. My biggest problem is that I'm not a big fan of self-help books in general. I feel like I can get the gist of what is going on in an article on the topic or a Ted Talk, and unfortunately I end up getting bored. I am torn though because I know I would end up missing a lot of really great stuff, so I am still glad I read the book. The chapter on parenting was definitely my f
Keely
Feb 27, 2014 Keely rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I just couldn't connect with this book. For some reason it made me feel yucky. The author's personal stories made it more relatable and some were quite funny. I wanted to read more about research and experiments beyond the qualitative "tell me how you feel" or "how do you define this word" approach. And her fluffy labels for things made them hard to grasp.

There were a couple instances where I thought "yes! that's exactly how it is" or "that's totally happened to me!" but most other times I coul
I love love love this book and want to re - read it. I want to give it to all of my friends and family members because I truly feel like daring greatly will change our lives, our families, and our communities in such a powerful way. Brene Brown is amazing and I am so grateful for her research and that she wrote this book. SO good!
Violinknitter
May 22, 2015 Violinknitter rated it it was amazing
All the stars!!! If I could give six, or seven, or ten stars, I would. I'm planning on re-reading this book many times, because her insight into wholehearted living, vulnerability, & shame vs. guilt is so powerful. Lots of insight for how I want to teach my students, as well.
Sep 20, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for authors! My full review here: http://blurbisaverb.blogspot.com/2012...
Emily Burns
Sep 29, 2015 Emily Burns rated it it was amazing
Very few books actually change the innerworkings of my brain. This one did. Highly recommend. :)
A Teacher's Best ...: Summer Book Club: Daring Greatly 1 1 May 18, 2016 12:27PM
Modern Entreprene...: Myth 4 1 2 Mar 10, 2016 03:10PM
Modern Entreprene...: Myth 3 1 2 Mar 10, 2016 02:57PM
Modern Entreprene...: Myth 2 1 2 Mar 10, 2016 02:56PM
Modern Entreprene...: Myth 1 1 5 Mar 10, 2016 02:55PM
Central Highlands...: October 2015 - Daring Greatly by Brene Brown 2 6 Nov 09, 2015 04:11PM
  • Self-Compassion: Stop Beating Yourself Up and Leave Insecurity Behind
  • The Dance of Connection: How to Talk to Someone When You're Mad, Hurt, Scared, Frustrated, Insulted, Betrayed, or Desperate
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • The Desire Map
  • The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level
  • Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-Being
  • Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
  • Uncertainty: Turning Fear and Doubt into Fuel for Brilliance
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others
  • Make it Happen: Surrender Your Fear. Take the Leap. Live On Purpose.
  • Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • How We Love: Discover Your Love Style, Enhance Your Marriage
  • Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average and Do Work that Matters
  • An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work.She has spent the past thirteen years studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame.

Brené is the author of two #1 New York Times Bestsellers: Daring Greatly and The Gifts of Imperfection.

Her latest book, Rising Strong will be released on August 25, 2015. In Rising Strong, Brené writes, “If
More about Brené Brown...

“Don't try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer.” 736 likes