Start by marking “Southern Charm: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Southern Charm: A Novel

Southern Charm: A Novel

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  1,049 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
Southern girl Minty Davenport always dreamed of skyscrapers, yellow cabs, and a life like Eloise's in New York City. So upon graduation from college, she bids adieu to Charleston and makes a beeline for the Big Apple. Almost instantly, she finds herself at an event being photographed for Women's Wear Daily, and her career as a New York society "It Girl" is launched.As Mint ...more
Audio CD
Published May 1st 2012 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Charm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Charm

Lauren
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll confess: I'm a sucker for glittery novels written by socialites: Plum Sykes, Bridie Clark, you name it! So when Tinsley Mortimer's debut arrived, I was ecstatic, I've read about her in Vogue, I love her style, and I wanted a peek into her (fictional) life. "Southern Charm" did not disappoint - it's just as fun, frothy, and girly as I imagine Tinsley herself is! I loved this fashionable read with heart!
Stacy
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minty Davenport is a southern debutante trying to make her way into the fashion industry in New York. Fate on her side, she runs into a sorority sister and from there she is launched into society as the next “It Girl.” Add in a dash of society gossip mayhem, high-end fashion and an overindulged, spoiled guy and you have the recipe for a slightly underwhelming cute book.

This book had a couple of great elements, for one the author. Tinsely Mortimer knows the New York society scene, so an air of a
Helene
(This review was originally published on helenesworldofbooks.blogspot.com)

Chick Lit books have been disappointing for me lately. Somewhere half way this book I thought I would just give up on the genre, because it almost made me cry in frustation.
It started out pretty good. I love the cover, which is always a good start! I know, it's a bit shallow, but a pretty cover is nice. The beginning of the story was also enjoyable. It was comparable to Devil Wears Prada, one of my favorite Chick Lit's! B
Randy Briggs
Jun 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute dreck. Socialite "authors" should take a tip: while describing every designer accoutrement in the book may bump up the word count, it does not fill out the plot AT ALL. this 'novel' contained every cliche ever invented for "Southern Girl makes good in the big City". Don't waste your money. I gave it one star only because I didn't know if it was possible to not give it ANY.
Amberalba Dawn
Questo è uno di quei libri che mi lascia piuttosto perplessa. Tirando le somme, penso che questo romanzo non vada molto al di là della sufficienza. La storia potrebbe funzionare, soprattutto pensando come target un pubblico molto giovane. Ci sono tanti elementi che potrebbero far ingolosire. Tutta la vicenda si sviluppa attorno al mondo della moda e degli eventi mondani nella New York bene e questo, da che mondo è mondo, può solo che produrre un contesto accattivante. Se poi mettiamo in conto ch ...more
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Previously reviewed on
www.simplylowcountry.blogspot.com

I am truly a sucker for a cute book! And this book was no exception to that rule. I'm not sure whether it was because the main character in this book is from Charleston, SC or because the cover was amazing, or perhaps it's because it was written by Tinsley Mortimer, but it was such a great read!

There is a whole sloppy mix of reviews on this book, some bad and some good, but mine is a good one. Promise! I feel as though someone looking for a
Stefani
Jun 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Got a hardcover of this for 25 cents from the local library in Cape May Court House. Was really excited about it. However, my verdict is:

Gossip Girl meets The Devil Wears Prada

I realized why when I read the author’s bio on the back cover. She appeared in the Gossip Girl TV show. Apparently she’s a socialite. Ok, so she lives in that world. She knows how things work there. I understand if that maybe inspired this book. But to me it just feels like a copy. And a bad one at that.

We have a Souther
Ozma
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun cupcake of a book! I love chick-lit based in NYC that is all about the glamorous life, like fashion, shopping etc. When I heard that Tinsley Mortimer had written a book, I knew it would be up my alley! I ordered it immediately from Amazon. To my delight, the book did not disappoint. Not only is it a fun story filled with classic New York characters (and some whom you will try to guess as to the real identity), but it is actually well written! If Tinsley wrote it herself, my hats off t ...more
Allison
Jun 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Highly predictable and extremely unimaginative, this autobiography, veiled as a novel, is trying--at best. Readers would be better off spending a few minutes skimming Mortimer's Wikipedia page in combination with three pages of a fashion magazine than spending the hours it took to read this waste of time.

Mortimer painstakingly attempts to lovingly describe her southern-belle-transplant-in-NYC life, but fails horribly to include any iota of charm. Props, though, to Mortimer's editor for choosing
Tracy
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I freely admit I picked up this novel of a southern belle who moves to NY after breaking up with her boyfriend largely b/c of the author, a well known NYC socialite. The book was somewhat predictable, but I liked the characters, even though they were somewhat archetypal. Where the book fell a little flat for me was the ending. One storyline ended but there could have been a little more punch to it. Still, a fast summer beach read.
Tanya
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Enjoyable, fun, fluffy read! If you fancy chick lit, fashion, southern traditions, and the allure of New York's fashion industry, then you'll surely fancy this book. Some of the romance was a bit hurried and I felt the main character, Minty, was so young, at 22, to even consider hooking up with Tripp ... but do read, book has style!
Lisa
May 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is basically a "fluff" book. Neither the plot nor the characters have any depth to them and you're never on the edge of your seat waiting with bated breath to find out what happens. And our heroine, Minty, is just as shallow as everyone else. I didn't have a problem with her being born to a rich southern family and raised with a silver spoon in her mouth. I've read plenty of books with rich heroines who then proceeded to prove themselves to be strong, likable women I could root for. Unfortu ...more
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Non mi è piaciuto
Scorrevo la presentazione del libro e l'occhio traditore mi è caduto su "Gossip girl". Ecco, dire che ho un debole per GG sarebbe parlare per eufemismi.. Amo, adoro, impazzisco per Gossip Girl. E quindi mi sono ritrovata a leggere questo libro, speranzosa che lo specchietto delle allodole che era stato piazzato rivelasse un minimo di sostanza e non fosse solo fumo. Insomma, ecco, ero consapevole che mi stavo cacciando in una trappola, ma non ho voluto ascoltare la parte raziona
Elizabeth
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women, read-2017
Southern Charm
by Tinsley Mortimer

from the library
hardcover and audio edition of 6cd's

As a student of social networks, I found this book interesting even though I know nothing about the world of fashion or NYC. I imagine someone who knows these worlds would recognize some of the events and institutions. As far as the romantic subplot I suggest readers look elsewhere.
Tina
It's honest & honestly fluffy at the same time. Mortimer is writing from a place she knows well. Minty is she, almost identically. What I really appreciate about this work is the writing style - it could've easily become cliche. Every time another work popped into my mind something switched the plot up a bit, so the story remains true to itself.
Debbie
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved both the story and characters in this book. The author painted a clear picture of who each was - enough so that I could picture them in my head. While it's no 'deep story', the book perfectly describes two worlds that couldnt be more different - bright and sassy southern belle versus tight and classy New York. A great summer read that youll really enjoy!
Caryn
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light-hearted fun. Nothing mysterious or surprising, but a very decent bath tub or beach side read. Sort of a G-Rated Gossip Girl.
Blake16
RECENSIONE IN ANTEPRIMA

Romanzo leggero e senza alte pretese, “Sognando Park Avenue” approderà in Italia il prossimo 18 Aprile.
Ho letto questo romanzo nel giro di pochi giorni, avrei impiegato anche meno ma c’era un piccolo, piccolissimo particolare… era in eBook… già, quindi dovevo sottostare alle regole del mio delizioso tablet e smettere di leggere quando diceva lui e non io.
Togliendo queste piccole quisquilie, il romanzo delle Mortimer si legge con facilità… be’, forse con molta facilità.
E,
Roberta
Minty ha 22 anni, è nata e cresciuta a Charleston e dopo la fine della sua storia sente il bisogno di cambiare vita e si trasferisce a New York. Nella Grande Mela Minty avrà l'occasione di trovare la sua strada, ma non mancheranno le delusioni e soprattutto diverrà vittima del gossip newyorkese!

Sognando Park Avenue è una commedia romantica dal retrogusto amaro, un viaggio nella New York del lusso sfrenato, dei vip, della moda e dei grandi eventi.
La trama non è molto coinvolgente e forse un po'
Gilly
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: narrativa, ebook
Amo alla follia il film ‘Il Diavolo veste Prada’ e i telefilm ‘Sex and the City’ e ‘Gossip Girl’ … vederli perciò scritti sulla presentazione di questo romanzo è stato un richiamo troppo forte perché io potessi resistere … come il canto di una sirena che porta a sé i marinai!

Adesso che ho terminato la lettura non so da che parte farmi per recensirlo. Mi aspettavo una storia completamente diversa.
Il romanzo è molto carino e all’inizio ricorda vagamente il Diavolo veste Prada, specie per come trat
Dana
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Southern Charm was a chick lit book set against the fashion and society of New York City. Three subplots merged together here to give a view of southern belle Minty's attempt to fit in with the New York elite while balancing her love life and neurotic mother. This was a light read with a lot of exciting opportunities heaped upon Minty.
Minty quickly landed a job at a public relations firm where her ruthless boss was a watered down version of Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada. Minty's lov
Adriana Munno
Recensione di "Sognando Park Avenue" di Tinsley Mortimer a cura di Adriana Munno (adriana*)
La vita di una principessa delle fiabe, può migliorare? Sì, diventando regina, con tutti i pro e i contro che ne derivano.
Questa è la storia di Minty, giovane ereditiera ventitreenne neo laureata che arriva a New York con il sorriso sulle labbra e il sogno di “vivere” la moda.
Carina, spiritosa e piena di brio, la dolce Minty affascina con la sua semplicità e con il suo dinamismo. Allegra e capace di vive
Valery Beauchamp
Io ho un animo romantico, e come tutti gli animi romantici speravo in un romanzo una storia d’amore avesse un minimo di spessore rispetto alla trama. Purtroppo in “Sognando Park Avenue” questo manca, o meglio, ha un ruolo così marginale che mi ha letteralmente deluso.

La storia ruota intorno alla bella Minty, patita di moda e attratta dalle scintillanti luci di New York! Dopo la laurea decide di lasciare la casa materna per vivere in questa sua “città speciale”, New York appunto, e di lavorare n
Samantha March
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Southern Charm by Tinsley Mortimer in exchange for an honest review. Let me start off by saying – loved it! I was totally engrossed in the story from page 1, and never lost my enthusiasm throughout. From the cover, the plot, descriptions, even names of characters, this book had it all. A favorite chick lit book of mine for the year, most definitely.

Southern gal Minty Davenport has been obsessed with New York since a little girl in her Eloise-obsessed days. After graduating
Ilaria
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sognando Park Avenue è un romanzo che già dal titolo si presenta molto bene: per chi come me sogna New York da sempre, leggere di Park Avenue, del rinomato Plaza e della frenetica vita della Grande Mela è sempre un piacere!
Il libro ci racconta la storia di Minty, una tipica ragazza del Sud, che dopo una delusione d'amore, decide di inseguire il suo sogno di trasferirsi a New York e di lavorare nel campo della moda...
E nella città in cui tutti i sogni si avverano, Minty riesce a trovare il suo
Heather
Received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads
DNF and don't intend to. I have picked this up and put this book down so many times that when I chose to finally call it quits I was only on page 58. I get that chick-lit is light and usually not very original. Even bad chick lit has at least something going for it like a charming lead or some humor. This book has absolutely nothing. The dialogue between the characters is exactly the same that there is no differentiating who’s who. The stor
Leonel
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I had to look up who Tinsley Mortimer was after reading her book, "Southern Charm." I knew she was some kind of socialite, but never really paid much more attention to her. On Wikipedia her entry seems to be very similar to the plot of the book, so I don't know if she wants people to think that this book a thinly-veiled autobiography of her life. I have to say it starts out well, but very quickly I started to find a lot of things I didn't like about the bo
Naomi Kelsey
Despite a promising idea, a well-loved, albeit well-worn, template, this book fails to deliver.

I love a good "empty calorie" read---a pink and white watercolor/pencil sketch on the cover, a socialite "author", a candy coated premise that basically revolves around shoes and shopping with a hint of sex thrown in. This book is just too slight. There's no "there" there.

The characters are all very one-dimensional, there's no plotted tension, the storyline is thin, the plotting device of separating
AntKathy
A quick, breezy, and easy read, "Southern Charm" by Tinsley Mortimer tells the tale of a whirlwind relocation to NYC from Charleston for Minty Davenport, a PBP and Southern belle deb. A bit like "The Devil Wears Prada", Minty quickly lands a job as an assistant to PR maven to the fashion world, Ruth Vine. "Ruthless", as she is known by her employees, is demanding and unyielding in her expectations of perfection in the workplace from Minty, who is not accustomed to the fast, frenetic pace of NYC ...more
Alyce Rocco
Oct 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hesitated to check Tinsley Mortimer's novel Southern Charm out of library, because I am not big on fairy tale romances. Yet it had promise: southern girl moves to the big city to pursue a dream career in the fashion industry.

More apt description would be high society Southern Belle quickly joins NYC high society. Author spends more time describing what people are wearing than developing characters.

Minty is frustrated after a few weeks with no job offers. Yet there is no description of her sit
  • Love and Happiness
  • Enchanting Lily
  • Savannah Comes Undone
  • The Hero
  • A Proposal for Christmas: State Secrets / The Five Days of Christmas
  • Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • Leah and the Jackhammer
  • The Christmas Grandma Ran Away from Home (The Grandma #1)
  • Long, Tall Christmas (A Cowboy Christmas, #1)
  • The House on Butterfly Way
  • Brides of the Storm (Galveston Hurricane Mystery, #2)
  • Tal: A Conversation with an Alien
  • Tongues of Angels
  • The Perfect Manhattan
  • Blood Rose (Realm of Nine, #1)
  • Paging the Dead (A Family History Mystery, #01)
  • An Island Christmas