Start by marking “Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook” as Want to Read:
Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook

Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook

No one knows better how to give a party than Martha Stewart--and as she proves in this comprehensive and visually dazzling handbook, great parties begin with great hors d'oeuvres. Three hundred all-new recipes, each photographed in full color, show why Martha Stewart is still America's style authority and most trusted party host.
It was fifteen years ago that Martha Stewar
Published March 30th 1999 by Clarkson Potter Publishers (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook

erik
Feb 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Martha was a caterer before she became a media personality, and this book exemplifies the depth of her knowledge on the subject. The layout is brilliant: the first couple hundred pages contain only pictures and names of hundreds of well-organized hors d'oeuvres and cocktails, and the rest of the book contains the recipes for those items. Every recipe has a picture, and every picture has a recipe. Moreover, each treat is presented ready for service. Like Stewart, the HD handbookis practical and d ...more
Eyehavenofilter
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes we all know the Queen, all hail the Queen. But seriously this made my mouth water....with incredible photos of almost every little dainty tidbit, and with moderately clear instructions, which (by the way) I would never truely succeed at following or reproducing...this almost made me want to try. I'm still perfecting a simple recipe for dairy free chocolate cake. ( 2 months in!)
Reading Martha's books and using her recipes are 2 completely different worlds. One must enter into the enterprise w
Julie H.
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook-cooking
I am admittedly one of those people who could eat hors d'oeuvres for dinner regularly, so was thrilled to discover that MS had an entire book devoted to this topic. They note in the front matter that some of the recipes in Chapter 10 (Classics) have been previously published elsewhere, but that's just fine as there is a ton in this 2009 book that hadn't appeared elsewhere. Moreover, for the sum of $1.99 at our local consignment store, I could not give this a pass. I cannot wait to dive in to the ...more
Beka
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Even though Martha was ahead of herself in some ways with exotic flavors and ingredients, but the rest of the cookbook is unfortunately dated and fussy. Most of the hors d'ouvres seem like WAY too much work for what is going to be eaten in a matter of minutes. Also, I'm not a fan of the cookbook format here. The first half of the book is pictures, and the second half is recipes. I'm MUCH more of a fan when pictures are next to the recipes they accompany. The food styling is also overly precious ...more
Rachel C.
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am always looking for new hors d'oeuvres to serve at my annual Oscar party, etc. (Since I don't have a dining room table, my entertaining efforts usually consist of inviting people over to watch something on TV and having finger foods on a platter on my coffee table.)

I could not have been happier when this book became available on the book swap site I use. Great photographs, great ideas and certainly no one pays attention to detail like Martha Stewart!
Gail
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was draw to this book because of the cover, not because I was searching for an hors d' oeuvres cookbook. I have prepared several (6-8) of the items included here, and found each to be easily prepared. This is a great resource book for anyone who likes to give parties. The color pictures are excellent.
Kirsten Karlen
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kitchen
The ultimate hors d'oeuvres book. Not only excellent recipes and photos to aid in presentation, but also enough basics to take and create your own exquisite bites. Also, good range of difficulty so you can find something for any occasion.
Marta
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
I love Martha, but I feel like most of the recipes in this book are overly complicated and unrealistic for normal use. Occasionally, I find myself inspired to make an appetizer and half the time what I want to make isn't even in the book.
Sheba Family
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everything I've made from this book has been amazing. I've probably made about 20 recipes from this book. Note, it takes a bit of work. These are not crazy easy or quick recipes. The pictures alone make it worth buying. Inspiringly beautiful.
JDAZDesigns
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
So much and all so good. There is never a need for another hors d'oevres book. Ever!
Tracy
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Lots of pictures, and recipes. Definitely a must have if you like making appetizers or throwing parties.
Elisabeth
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I would only love this book more if the pictures followed each recipe. Now I must flip back and forth----though I am willing to sacrifice. Thanks Martha.
Jodie
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love the creative ideas in this one. I really enjoy some of her recipes, they are fairly easy to do and they always taste great.
Cadillacrazy
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
There are lots of great little appetizers in this book. The one thing I don't like is that all the images are in the front of the book, and all the recipes are in the back.
Catherine Woodman
this with entertaining was the beginning
Melissa Shmish
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Intricate and elaborate to simple and elegant--and I wish I had the patience to make almost all of them.
Charlotte Grayson
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. Some of the recipes are challenging, but this is one of my go to books for parties!
Ellyn
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
My favorite book for small bites
Hope4flowers
Jun 06, 2012 marked it as cookbooks-i-want
Recommended In Dinner A Love Story Cookbook
Lauren
Enjoyed this cookbook, there are recipes I look forward to making.
Terri
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
REALLY useful reference book. Dozens of "platforms" (phyllo, tortillas, wontons, potato, etc.) and assembly techniques for anyone serious about lovely appetizers. A gift from my pal Carol. Thanks!
Merritt
Jun 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Almost too many choices!
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This has alot of great ideas, but not all that easy to prepare more than one of in th etime you have before your guests arrive
Sara
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Great collection of small bites. Have to be careful with portion sizes but many tasty ideas.
Marla
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The pictures! My god, the pictures! It has a red tassel thingy to keep your place, it may even have two! Did I mention the picutes?
Grant Sanders
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I turn to this collection of recipes whenever I have a party. Hey. I should have more parties! Who want to come over?
S. Ward
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the best hors d'oeuvres recipe book out there. Gorgeous pictures for every recipe and beautiful plating ideas. Love this book.
Carolyn Dippel
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
There are lots of bite sized goodies to make in this book. The one thing I don't like is that the photos of the food are all in the front of the book, and the recipes are in the back.
Rob Schorr
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Yummers!
Leighann
Dec 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Excellent overview and recipes for anyone interested in the art of Hors D'Oeuvres.

• Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
  • Lidia's Italy
  • Heart of the Home: Notes from a Vineyard Kitchen
  • Forever Summer
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home
  • Bread Alone: Bold Fresh Loaves from Your Own Hands
  • The Paris Cookbook
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite: 150 Recipes and Stories About the Food You Love
Martha Stewart is an American business magnate, author, editor and homemaking advocate. She is also a former stockbroker and fashion model. Over the last two decades Stewart has held a prominent position in the American publishing industry; as the author of several books, hundreds of articles on the domestic arts, editor of a national homekeeping magazine, host for two popular daytime television p ...more