Start by marking “The Three-Day Affair” as Want to Read:
The Three-Day Affair

The Three-Day Affair

A gripping debut novel about three longtime friends who make one mistake, forcing a chain of decisions that will haunt them forever.

Will, Jeffrey, and Nolan have been friends since their undergrad days at Princeton. Now, nine years after graduation, Will is a failed musician still reeling from the death of a bandmate. Jeffrey got lucky and then rich from the dot-com boom,
Published September 4th 2012 by Mysterious Press

To ask other readers questions about The Three-Day Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three-Day Affair

Start your review of The Three-Day Affair
Kaceey
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was a great book. Not sure why it didn't receive better reviews. A very fast read, with many twists and turns that wouldn't let me put the book down. Every time I thought it was winding down it would take me in a direction I never saw coming. I would totally recommend this book!
Larry
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Three friends get together for a weekend reunion. One is an aspiring politician, one is a Silicon Valley wonder boy, and the third is a rock drummer-turned recording studio techie. One of them goes into a quick shop only to return with what was in the till plus the young woman clerk. He panics the other two into driving away with the money and the girl (why would they agree?), and the three spend the weekend trying to figure out how to get out of the jam their uncontrolled friend has put them in ...more
Josh Mlot
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Normally "The Three-Day Affair" probably isn't a book I would be drawn to, but I picked it up because, a) I had read positive things and was interesting in reading the debut of an author from here in Mississippi, where I currently live, and, b) my wife wanted a book that we could both read together, and this seemed like something that would be up her alley.

In the end, I enjoyed the book. It didn't blow me away, but I was pleased that it satisfied me as a more literary-inclined reader while also
Bandit
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was so impressed by Kardos' latest Before He Finds Her, that picking up its predecessor was an easy choice. It's always interesting to see how the author fares from book to book, in this case in reverse. The progress is obvious, Three Day Affair is very good, Before He Finds Her is amazing. This one is more straight forward of a story than Before He Finds Her, less of a mystery and drama comparatively (though both aspects are still present), more of a thriller. Kardos seems to be very adept at ...more
Luanne Ollivier
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Three Day Affair is the debut novel of author Michael Kardos. It's also the first novel bearing the imprint of the newly re-launched Mysterious Press.

We meet Will - the narrator of the tale in the first chapter. And the hook is set deep with the last paragraph of that first chapter...

"Three years had passed since our move to Newfield, and we felt ready for this child in our lives, By then, violent crime was about the furthest thing from my mind, until the night when I helped one of my best f
Atalyonet
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant.

If you're looking for an Action/Thriller - I wouldn't recommend it. It seems from reading the cover page that that's what it is (what sets the plot in motion is a roberry turned into kidnapping) - but that is only the 'excuse" for having the characters both to wonder back in time and explore their relationship AND to put their current relationship to the test.

I found myself having a little virtual "interaction" with the author here reading the book -I saw a certain twist
Heather Turiello
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that really stayed with me after I had finished it. The Three Day Affair explores the difference between being a criminal versus being involved unexpectedly in a criminal act. Three 30-something friends from college get together for an annual guys' golf weekend and find themselves in some rather unexpected hot water.

After a brief stop at a local gas station-convenience store, one of the friends, Jeff, comes out of the store with a teenaged girl, dives into the car and
Catherine
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A first-rate page-turner and first-rate suspense novel. The comments below originally appeared on my blog, Book Club Librarian.

A weekend getaway goes horribly awry for four college buddies who have been reuniting annually for a weekend of golf since their graduation from Princeton University. As their weekend in suburban New Jersey begins, the unexpected and drastic actions of one brings life-altering consequences for all.

As the story unfolds, readers come to re
Jeff
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Three-Day Affair by Michael Kardos

Four college buddies get together for a weekend of golf, dining, getting drunk and sharing embarrassing old stories after nine years of friendship, growing up and growing older, starting families and finding or trying to find success. They’ve been going their separate ways until one event brings them together while separating them even further in ways they never imagined.

This is a very quick read, suspenseful yet never quite takes you to where you might thin
Kendall
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There's so much I don't want to say about this book, since it would give away not just the ending but the surprise at every page turn. You don't keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. You keep wondering, how many shoes can there possibly be? This book puts Imelda Marcos to shame, yet each new revelation is surprising and rewarding in its own way. More than a thriller, yet thrilling, Kardos examines human nature in a tale that is both chilling and hilarious.
Linda Snyder
Sep 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Blahhhhhh!! Totally did not like.. Kept reading to see if it would get better and the end kinda made me want to throw the book...
Misti  Long
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was ok for me. I think it could have been a lot better for me had there not been so much bouncing back and forth from college to now. It took me some time to get into the book but it was definitely a good story with a twist in the end I didn't expect.
Kelly
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Three-Day Affair by Michael Kardos. Published by Grove/Atlantic and The Mysterious Press.

Imagine a group of best friends planning a yearly get-together to play golf, hang-out, no wives, no kids. Just old friends from college, each going their own way after graduation but finding their way back to each other once a year to reconnect.

Evan is a successful lawyer. Will a struggling music producer. Jeffrey is a dot.com millionaire and Nolan is an up and coming state Senator. Things are looking up
Joanne
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Will, Nolan and Jeffrey have been friends since their undergraduate days at Princeton. Along with a fourth friend, Evan, they have been meeting once a year for a "guys' weekend". This year, instead of going somewhere exotic, they meet in Will's hometown in rural New Jersey. Things start a bit roughly when Evan bales at the last minute, citing work overload, but the other three men carry on that first evening, going to dinner and having a few drinks. On the way back to Will's house, they stop at ...more
Aimee
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was pretty good, but not great. Kardos is an economical writer in that many small, seemingly unimportant details surface later in the book. But something about the writing was just "blah," when it was supposed to be suspenseful and gripping. The kidnapping (which takes place at the beginning of the book and drives the plot) was just...boring. I actually stopped reading in the middle of it and went to bed! And I just didn't really buy that these three guys from Princeton would let the k ...more
Philip
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book had good reviews and a very interesting premise. And yes, it was a page-turner in that I really wanted to know what happened next and see how things ultimately worked out. However, for every step forward plot-wise, it took two steps backwards with long flashbacks to everyone's college days, which I could not have cared less about. I ended up skimming whole chapters at a time just to get back to the story proper.

The plot itself was clever and the ending a fairly satisfying surprise. But
Sandi
This was an underwhelming listen for me. I could just never buy into the basic premise and I really did not think the characters actions seemed realistic at all. I did enjoy some of the flashback scenes to the friends college days though. Listened to the audio read by Ray Chase who, while I won't say was part of the problem, definitely did not elevate the material.
Robin
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good solid suspense with a good twist that I thought I saw coming but really didn't...
Robin
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought I knew where this thriller was going and so I was less than intrigued. I'm glad I stayed with it though as Kardos completely surprised me. Great read.
Becky
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not fast-paced but more of a slow reveal. Some great twists.
Carolyn
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book on a free giveaway shelf. I read it while sitting by the pool. It was fairly entertaining - by pool standards - and completely forgettable. That about says it all.
Sue Merrell
For a debut mystery/thriller this story is definitely intriguing, not at all what's expected to happen. And even when you think it's been resolved it keeps unraveling until the real underlying mystery, entwined in the title, isn't revealed until the end. But I had a real hard time identifying with the characters: 4 male friends who graduated from Princeton a decade before. Their annual golf outing goes awry when one of them absurdly kidnaps a woman from a convenience store and the others back up ...more
Patricia
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this debut novel with many twists. Five Princeton graduates are the center of this plot. Will Walker, a musician, friends Nolan Albright, a Missouri politician, Jeffrey Hocks who is married to Sara, and Evan Owen, a lawyer become entangled in the kidnapping of Marie Craft from the Milk-n-Bread convenience store whom they hold for three days. Jeffrey kidnaps Marie out of anger and revenge against his wife, Sara, for having an affair. Sara also had a fling with Nolan when they were i ...more
Jacque
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this, gave it four stars and moved onto my next book. But while reading the next selection for book club, the plot of this one kept coming back to me. I'm not sure if it's because the book I was reading didn't engage me or because this one was even better upon reflection. But I think it was the latter so my official rating is now four and a half stars.

Some reviewers have questioned the judgement of the two of the friends for not calling a halt to things when their buddy emerged from
Jeffrey DiNapoli
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Uninspired writing with uninspired characters with an uninspired plot and uninspired execution. Identified the "twist" very early which made it even more painful to read knowing where this was going. Then the 20 pages of the "second revel" was even more boring and wasteful..

4 and 5 star reviews on this book?? So you people are saying this is one of the best books you have ever read... You have my sympathies.
Karen
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this gem of a book. College classmates. No, make that Princeton classmates, who get together occasionally after graduation, to play golf, have a nice dinner, catch up on each other’s lives - NOT to kidnap a store clerk, but that is exactly what happens.
The backstory makes an excellent read and the characters are truly believable. The ending will leave you shaking your head and wondering why you didn’t see it coming.
Robert
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kardos's introductory novel, it wasn't bad. I understand his second is much better. This psycho-thriller of three Princeton alum buddies is reasonably fast-moving, a bit of a page-turner but interrupted by some fairly tenuous asides to the main story line As a result, the book--not too long anyway--could have been shorter. But Kardos's promise is apparent.
Kristi
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
At first it reminded of this older movie called Very Bad Things with Christian Slater. A group of guy college friends getting together for their annual golf and beer and pizza weekend. Something goes wrong and a girl ends up kidnapped and then someone ends up dead. Then there’s a huge twist at the end and it no longer reminded me of that.
All in all, a very quick read that kept my interest.
Kim Hamilton
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just got through reading a non-fiction novel with a very tough subject matter, so I needed a simple mystery that would hold my interested and this quick read definitely delivered. I thoroughly enjoyed this story about three college friends who reunite for a guys weekend that goes awry. While the “incident” was a little preposterous, it was still an entertaining story that kept me turning the page.
Sierra Miles
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
this was definitely a page-turner. the plot was good, the story was good, the format was good. i liked everything about it. it was hard to put down because there were new things that shocked me every chapter, up until the very last page. i only give it 4 stars because that one character, and if you’ve read it, you know exactly who i’m talking about really pissed me off.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Behind Every Lie
  • The Deepest Wound (Detective Jack Murphy #3)
  • The First to Lie
  • Last Couple Standing
  • The Request
  • Four Wives
  • The Last Affair
  • The Bad Sister
  • You Look Like a Thing and I Love You: How Artificial Intelligence Works and Why It's Making the World a Weirder Place
  • What You Don't Know
  • Hamnet
  • Lies that Bind: Unraveling the Secrets of a Dysfunctional Family
  • Their Last Secret
  • House of Trelawney
  • The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume II: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1975-1985
  • The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume III: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1986-1995
  • Sisters
  • Killer Holiday: A Killer WASPs Mystery
Michael Kardos (michaelkardos.com) is the Pushcart Prize-winning author of the novels Bluff, Before He Finds Her, and The Three-Day Affair, named by Esquire as a Best Book of the year, and the story collection One Last Good Time, winner of the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters award for fiction. He has a degree in music from Princeton University and played the drums professionally for a nu ...more