Start by marking “Thank the Liberals* For Saving America” as Want to Read:
Thank the Liberals* For Saving America

Thank the Liberals* For Saving America

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In Thank the Liberals, political commentator and Fox News radio host Alan Colmes explains how people who fight for liberal ideals help our country move forward. With his trademark humor and wit, Colmes walks readers through the founding of our nation and shows how America was based on a liberal idea. Our very founders were progressives, and it’s progressives who have led A ...more
Published August 27th 2012 by Hay House (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thank the Liberals* For Saving America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank the Liberals* For Saving America

Louise
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Liberal means free, open and generous.

The right wing has convinced people that it is, or is like, a disease "Liberalism Is a Mental Disorder" (by Michael Savage), or a T-shirt: Liberalism Is a Disease" (by CafePress) or a social stigma "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter". The term "liberal" has been so nastily trashed that even liberals don't use it in favor of the term "progressive" (making conservatives "regressive" as the author points out).

In this boo
Sharon
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
If one is a self-defined "conservative" according to today's definition, this book is likely to have a whole bunch of information of which you've been unaware, or at least had not completely considered. If one is a self-defined liberal or progressive, it may not have much that is new to you.

However, Alan Colmes lays out his case that, technically speaking, all Americans are liberals because of the country's legal basis in liberty. He examines the Constitution right off the bat, and explains its
Kyle Peck
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I gave it 2 stars but, in reality, it lies somewhere in between "It was Ok" and "Did Not Like It." The reason for this is not because of my political persuasion, as some may assume, because I actually agree with a lot of the things contained within. I would probably be classified as a libertarian in most regards, even though Colmes mentions that he thinks libertarians want "no government." That was my first complaint with the book, Colmes makes no pretense about it: he does not understand his op ...more
Alan
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Politically, I am an independent. To me this means that I am not registered with any political party, and when it comes to elections I look at the issues, the platforms, and the people involved, and then vote for people that share my view of good government. I have been of voting age for over 30 years, and it has not at all been unusual for me to vote Republican in some races in Democratic in others...voting a split ticket is the norm for me.

Anyway, when I saw Alan Colmes' book, "Thank the Liber
Diane Kistner
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Fox News' famous "token liberal" Alan Colmes has written a book for those who have fallen hook, line, and sinker for the Big-C-conservative-pushed idea that "liberal" is a dirty word: those who shun liberals and those who are afraid to admit they are liberals. Colmes does a good job of laying out the liberalism that lies at the heart and root of America, but he's not speaking to the choir here. No, he really means to speak directly to conservatives so they know more of their history before they ...more
Kathleen
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a book for those who are new to the world of liberalism as well as those who just don't know what it is. It is a historic view of the movement, outside of Dem or Rep labels.

I can't say it's a heavy read or full of terribly new ideas. I can however say that is is a solid read and a good way to grain a better over all understanding of the topic. With the word "liberal" becoming almost a curse term in our current environment this is much needed.
Gary Turner
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, very informative. I think this book should convince everyone that we all need to get behind the liberal agenda and move our country forward. Now.
Chris Craddock
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-studies
I read this book. I don't have cable but this guy is on Fox News. I don't like to talk about politics.
Sandra
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book, but info about North Korea is a bit outdated.
Timothy
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly good civics lesson. Sadly, it will not be read by the people that need to read it the most.
Bill Boerst
Nathaniel
Oct 12, 2016
Cassandra Purdey
May 14, 2013
Alan Colmes was a liberal political commentator for the Fox News Channel. From 1996 to 2009, Colmes was the co-host of Hannity & Colmes, a political debate show on Fox News Channel. Colmes also ran the Liberaland blog and contributed to AOL News. Colmes was married to Dr. Jocelyn Elise Crowley, a professor of public policy at Rutgers University.
More about Alan Colmes...