Start by marking “Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook” as Want to Read:
Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook

Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  7,218 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
This essential addition to every cook's library is rich with tips, techniques, and the mouthwatering and stunning recipes for which Martha Stewart is so well known. Covering a delectable array of topics from simple to sophisticated, including biscuits, muffins, scones, cookies, layer cakes, specialty cakes, sweet and savory pies and tarts, and pastries and breads, she prov ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,109 books — 1,028 voters
Hello, Cupcake by Alan    RichardsonBaking by Dorie GreenspanKaffeehaus by Rick RodgersThe Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy BeranbaumThe Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Dessert Cookbooks
193 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina Windle
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are 150+ recipes in this book and I have tried just a small sample, 17, of these recipes. 12 of these recipes I would make again. I find especially this is so with the icings and "side recipes" that go into recipes.

If I rated just on recipe awesomeness, this book would get a 5 for sure. All the recipes I tried were good, very good, or phenominal. But the reason that I just don't feel this book gets a 5 is because many of the recipes are expensive and/or require unusual/hard to find ingredi
Riona
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, cookbooks
I've owned this book for several years, and it has quickly become one of my favorite baking books (Believe me, I own quite a few). The recipes run the gamut from simple breakfast muffins to rustic cobblers to elegant napoleons. There is even a recipe for a three-tiered wedding cake! Some recipes are quick and easy, while others tend to be very complex and involved, offering options for both the novice and advanced home baker, and allowing the user to grow with the book, trying more difficult rec ...more
Amy
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Good as gold. The recipes are flawless, the pictures are beautiful, and I wouldn't be surprised if the book itself is bulletproof.
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
1/3 - 416 pages of Martha Stewart baking prowess. Every recipe pictured, plus bonus 'step-by-step' pictures of some of the more difficult processes - making a lattice top for your pie, using a mini ice cream scoop to portion out cookies, examples of different piping bag nozzles for decorating a special cake, the different stages of proving bread, and so many more that I'd be here all day listing them. Every single recipe looks enticing, even the ones that I wouldn't normally choose to eat due to ...more
Oct 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have had great success with this baking cookbook. Baking is tricky, but with proper adjustments I got some great recipes out of this while living at 9000 feet! Now that I am at a lower altitude, everything I've tried in here has been fabulous. Recently did the cake on the cover, basically a mixed berry pound cake with homemade whipped cream that was overall easy, but looked pretty and cut nicely despite the height. Cake was perfect--sort of a cross between pound cake and a shortcake, delish. T ...more
Melani
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is easily one of my favorite cookbooks. It's well laid out, has a marvelous variety, and is very easy to follow. I have made dozens of things from this book and never been dissapointed. A must own for bakers.
Patricia
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the only Martha Stewart cookbook I own. It is invaluable if you like to bake. I consider it as essential as my Joy of Cooking. I have given it as gifts because it is such a great cookbook!
Hawthorne
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking-books
Awesome book I read it four times already,great recipes would keep it if i could
SenazNasansia Muliawan
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to bake
Shelves: baking
This is one of my favourite baking book. It's complete with recipes from simple baked goods to yeast baked goods(yes, of course you can find many cookies, pies, tarts, cakes and pastries recipe too!).
Two words..Simple and Easy.
Not to mention that this book is full of pictures. Yey, finally there's a baking book included the pictures of all the recipes... If you are a baking maniac(just like me), you would understand that picture helps us to understand what is the final result of the recipe.
Ther
Alexandra Maldonado
So I typed in Baking. This is the first thing that comes up. No, just no. Martha Stewart SCARES ME! She's 69, you know. Thats older than my grandmother. What the hell. Honestly, I think she sold her soul to the devil years ago. Everything she makes is so, so... I DUNNO! It just makes you wanna have it! It's like RESTORATION HARDWARE! That place gets me excited for some reason. I don't even like buying furniture. Except for my BEAUTIFUL RECLINER. They sell luxury scrabble there. It's like a mahog ...more
Chara
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
For years I thought that Martha's books would be far to difficult for me to cook from. In reality, this baking book is incredibly easy to use! I've cooked many of the dessert pastries and breads. The ones I chose to make are really simple and always turn out great. In many of the recipes there are also pictures of the food in the process of being made. When it comes to folding pastries or cutting cookies, sometimes its really helpful to have these aids!

I also love how she gives some cultural his
Celeste Knoll
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baking
I am always a little wary of recipes with the Martha Stewart name. I often find that the beautiful photography is much better than the item tastes. This is not the case with the Baking Handbook. Everything I have baked to date has been wonderful. I was on a shortbread quest this past summer and tried the Chocolate Shortbread Fingers. The addition of cinnamon gave them a unique taste. Really good. This book also has one of my favorite cinnamon bread recipes. This past week I baked the Cranberry-P ...more
LeAnne
Mar 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bakers, martha-style-wanna-bes
Even though it is Martha and her creative-genius squad, it was quiet a helpful resource. You've gotta hand it to this squad, they are pretty amazing. Lots of basic information concerning tools and methods for baking.

I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but know that some of them look very promising. Lots of basic recipes that would be great crowd-pleasers for events or make great gifts at holidays. I really want to make the coconut layer cake.

I checked this out from my library before ordering
Autumn
May 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food
This was my first experience with a Martha cookbook. I needed a great cake recipe for a baby shower, and by choosing bits and pieces from various recipes in the book I came up with a gorgeous cake. I really wish the recipes had given serving sizes, and I found some unnecessarily fussy. I'm a pretty confident baker, and may try to use a more "professional" bakers cookbook in the future. I saw a lot of recipes in the book I'd like to try and make again, but many seem to require "special occasion" ...more
Tannya
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to bake
I guess my tag will always be currently reading for this one. If you bake, love to bake, have questions about baking, this is the baking bible. I have been coveting my friends Susies book for a while and finally broke down and bought it. I have already cooked several items (cheesecake, key lime pie) and they were EXCELLENT. No they were not easy to make, but sometimes thats the joy in the result. Right?
Debbie
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is where I got my Sugar Cookie (page 82) and Royal Icing (page 389) recipes. These cookies are always a big hit and the icing comes out perfectly each time. I can't tell you how many times I am asked for this recipe. Disclaimaer...these cookies are back breaking! They come out delicious and look amazing, but be prepared to put in a good 7-10 hours. Decorating each cookie takes FOREVER. This is a special occasion cookie only.
Natali Barnes
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got to admit I was a little afraid before buying this book because Martha is my ultimate crafter and house maker guru! But when I started to read the book and check the ingredients list and the directions I got comfortable right away, I was like: Are you serious i don't have to have Vanilla from Madagascar or Crème Fraîche for every single recepie? Whoo Hoo! Oh yeah this is my kind of book! And the pictures? They are flawless . I enjoy this book a lot.
Nadia
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-books
This book is fantastic!!! Everything I have tried from it have turned out amazing. I've always been intimidated to try cream puffs but first time attempt, following the great recipe, amazing step by step pictures and overall description and they turned out amazing. This book is great for novice bakers and experience bakers alike. I find myself going to this book any time I want to make something new or special for almost any occasion.
Sari Sikstrom
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good cook book must have great pictures and this one does. This is my go to book when I want to make something special. Martha gives you all the instructions to make your baking a success, you learn something new from every recipe.

Even a novice baker will have success, read the recipe through before you start and you will wow your friends and family
Cheryl Munoz
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I normally don't dig Martha's recipes...they don't work sometimes. But, I know that she really doesn't write this stuff anyone. I think this book is really well-edited and the photos are gorgeous which is important in a baking book. I have made several recipes and they came out wonderfully. I loved her bread section, too. Overall, it is a modern, concise and beautiful book.
Dana
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is perfect for beginners and for more seasoned bakers. Each section goes through the basics, including measuring ingredients and which implements are which, but there are plenty of challenges, too. Of course, the best part is that the recipes are pretty much never-fail. This has become my holy baking tome.
Marci
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who bakes or wants to bake.
This handbook has a great variety of recipes ranging from simple to difficult - daily use to special occasion only. Stewart also puts in great hints and tips along with photographed step-by-step instructions on key skills such as whipping meringue and cutting pastry dough. Def. essential for any baker.
May
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's a beautiful book, with a wide variety of recipes for probably near every level of kitchen skill. I'll be trying out the banana bread recipe tomorrow and am reserving rating the book until I can see how a recipe turns out.

Update: banana bread recipe was phenomenal, and turned out well despite my temperamental mixer. Can't wait to try out some more recipes from this book.
Cherie
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A A-mazing. I love Martha. I kind of wish she'd adopt me and just bake for me every day. I would turn into a ball of butter (but high quality European butter, at least) and life would be wonderful. The only shame is that I just got this book today and it's currently pushing 90 F and there is no way I am baking these delicious cookies....unless I put the AC on!
Jennie
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is one of the best baking books out there - I love to see pictures of the final product, and she gives you one for each recipe. Lots of great recipes - I like the grapefruit sandwich cookies (the frosting is great on cupcakes too), the peanut butter sandwich cookies (homemade Nutter Butters), sugar cookies, lemon curd cake, white cupcakes, challah, kouign amans.
Miss Clark
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone, everyone who loves to cook!
Shelves: cooking-baking
Wonderful book. Gorgeous pictures, excellent instructions. Sometimes more than I need, but at least it is precise without being ridiculous in its minuteness of detail. Excellent recipes, so many favorites. Highly recommended.
PL
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: baking fans
You can't go wrong with this baking handbook! And I am not an avid fan of Martha nor do I watch any of her cooking shows, but I give her two thumbs up with her yummy and fun baking recipes. And as a scientist, I am a pickler about details and accuracy; she writes great protocols for baked goods!
Apr 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The recipes in this book actually turn out when I make them. I haven't always had the best of luck with baking, but these recipes are great. The carrot ginger cake has been the biggest hit yet! This is a book I can pick up and read, almost like a novel.
Meg Tessensohn
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the ultimate baking handbook of all times. Tips and information to help you as a baker. Photos truly helps. Even the recipes I have made actually turned out perfect and delicious. I love my cookbook and have even flagged pages I love. Thank you Ms.Stewart
Samantha
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't actually want to like this, but I do. Of course, I'm the type of baker who reads how to bake something, make it according to directions the first time, decide its too much work, and do whatever the hell I feel like the next time around. Normally, people can't tell the difference.
  • Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains
  • Tartine
  • The Pie and Pastry Bible
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Baking
  • BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery
  • The Art & Soul of Baking
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
  • Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That?
  • Everyday Pasta
  • More From Magnolia: Recipes from the World Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • The Lady & Sons Just Desserts: More Than 120 Sweet Temptations from Savannah's Favorite Restaurant
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
Martha Stewart is an American business magnate, author, editor and homemaking advocate. She is also a former stockbroker and fashion model. Over the last two decades Stewart has held a prominent position in the American publishing industry; as the author of several books, hundreds of articles on the domestic arts, editor of a national homekeeping magazine, host for two popular daytime television p ...more
More about Martha Stewart...