Start by marking “Making Habits, Breaking Habits: Why We Do Things, Why We Don't, and How to Make Any Change Stick” as Want to Read:

Say you want to start going to the gym or practicing a musical instrument. How long should it take before you stop having to force it and start doing it automatically?

The surprising answers are found in Making Habits, Breaking Habits, a psychologist's popular examination of one of the most powerful and under-appreciated processes in the mind. Although people like to think
Published January 1st 2013 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published December 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Making Habits, Breaking Habits, please sign up.
Vinayak Joshi You will not get a step-by-step guide, but you will definitely get a good workable principle which allows you to make your own plan on how to make or…moreYou will not get a step-by-step guide, but you will definitely get a good workable principle which allows you to make your own plan on how to make or break a habit. Definitely this book can help.(less)

January
Things I learned, with my notes in parenthesis:

Habits are often formed not from intention, but from sheer repetition of the first coincidental occurrence, for instance driving a specific route. (Just another reason to be intentional in every action we do, especially new ones.)

Friendships are mostly activity-based, not attitude-based. Therefore, your habits create your social circles and the extent of your socializing. (So join some clubs and get some friends!)

Habits are contextual. (So to break
Adam Crossley
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while you come across a book that changes your life. This is one of those books.

It calmly and clearly lays out what research says about habits and then systematically explains how to incorporate this research into improving your life. I found several gems that I immediately incorporated into how I operate.

In particular the section about recognizing what cues will prompt you to break your habit and creating "if...then..." statements that prepare yourself to respond to that cue in
Peter Mcloughlin
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book talks about habits in daily life. We depend on habits to lesson cognitive load that comes from consciously making decisions. During our waking hours the number of decisions we have to make is enormous. What route to take to work, what to eat for breakfast, when to brush our teeth, when to set the alarm clock, what coffee shop to go to on our break etc. If we had to consciously decide every action we perform our minds would be overwhelmed in attempting to get through the day. So our ha ...more
Troy Blackford
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting book. Written by a psychologist, it looks at how people form and reshape habits, without the rose-colored glasses of a self-help book. By not sugar coating the truth about how the human mind actually works while carrying out habitual activities, and how difficult it is to create new habits and get disentangled from old ones, it gives you information you can actually use instead of platitudes and feel-good advice that won't work.

In addition, it's always interesting to hear
Cara
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm getting a little tired of books that tell you why you do bad things but don't tell you how not to do those things, and I have absolutely no patience for books that do the opposite. This book is a nice combination of both of those. Does that make any sense? No? Ok.
Melody
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Solid information presented clearly. I especially liked the bits about smartphones, Twitter, and Facebook. In my own life, I have some concerns about my behaviour around these things. The images of rat pressing levers for random, unpredictable rewards resonated in my own rodent-like brain. I also like how Dean presented some strategies for keeping habitual behaviours fresh, and how planning can be helpful. I hope I can put some of these tricks to work and stop pressing the Facebook treat lever o ...more
Stacey
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not particularly well written. A better editor could have helped smooth out a number of instances of odd sentence structure and word choices (and no, this criticism is not due to the author being British). The same ground was much better covered in the book The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It.
Mani
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In a word- Yes! This book has all of the latest research and delivers it in a useful way. I think it's a good follower for Willpower Instinct and Now Habit. It makes MasterMind:How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes look really bad. It's less technical than Duhigg's Power of Habit and way less annoying than coach Meg on Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life.
Sharon Burgin
The author of this book, Jeremy Dean, is a psychologist which would make you think that this would be very scientific and theoretical, written in language to confuse the lay person. But that is not the case. Although this is a well-referenced book, backed up by a multitude of studies, it is also a very well-written, thoughtfully-constructed book which is not dry in the slightest. Sprinkled with witticisms it brings a smile to your face when you recognise the situations he is describing.

Dean expl
Esther
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about the research done to learn about habits. Some of the advice in this book is common advice we've all heard before, but their is a lot of good tips in this book.
Lauren - SERIESous Books
not really what I thought this book was going to be but informative nonetheless
full review to come
Juanita
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
There were enough interesting studies about habits to keep going but the book bogged down in parts. The last third of the book had practical advice but I don't think i learned anything life changing that I will use to affect my own habits.
Andrew Brady
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh self-help book. Ok science / phycology article review book.
Andrea James
The first two-thirds of the book has a lot of the usual behavioural economics/psychology descriptions of experiments and explanations of why we behave the way we do. If you're completely new to the subject, then it's petty interesting and the author has a readable blog-style of writing.

The last third of the book is the most useful as the author gets more specific about what we can do to break habits and also to create new ones, He points out the common pitfalls and suggests ways that we can avoi
Arlian
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pop-science book on how brains work in regards to habits. Interesting at points, but also if you want to use it to learn concrete steps you should to take to give you a better chance of implementing new habits, you better get a pad and paper out.

I don't know what the in-print book looks like, the the audiobook doesn't give you the impression that the print version is organized in a bullet point format, or in that is easy for browsing and ear-marking helpful points, once you've read th
Eric Montag
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The book was good. It gives some practical ideas that are backed up by science regarding how to start habits or discontinue habits. However, as interesting as the book was, I always seem to find that books of this sort are too long and this one was no exception. My advice would be to read the chapters that interest you and skip the ones that don't.
Alicia K.
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
It read like a truly scientific, reputable psychology book. That is to say, it's a little slow, and actionable takeaways are buried under test results. I was able to create a habit changing action plan that I'm confident in, but it required a lot of work on my part to get there.
Larry
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: happiness
This is a very readable overview to the current thinking. There is nothing novel here, but it seems very sound and agrees with other accounts I have read. I love that it is not a motivational book. The sections on how to make changes stick are slim, but they are really all you need.
Jennifer Louden
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
3+ stars.

Very good overview of current habit research. Would have benefited from better book design to call out the actual actions to take, and also from more examples and stories.
زينب
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Making habits, Breaking habits

"WOOP" exercise: Wish, Outcome, Obstacle and Plan:

Write down your wish: the habit you want to achieve; then the best Outcome of your habit; then, the Obstacle(s) you are likely to face. Finally, you make a specific type of Plan called an implementation intention.

Implementation intention (If-then link):
Instead of saying "I want to to be fitter/I want to be kinder", say: "If I'm about to get in the car for a short trip, then I should walk" or "If I see someone struggl
Kate
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It used to be widely accepted that ulcers were totally psychosomatic. It was also the "truth" that once someone has a stroke, they're broken for the rest of their life. (I know someone who had a stroke a couple of years ago, and now the only evidence that he's had a stroke is he's now blind in one eye; he's back to work and doing everything else he was doing before.)

And now, courtesy of this book, the author debunks Sigmund Freud's theory that we can know what's in our subconscious. He cites sev
Julia
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened-to
You know I'm crazy about nonfiction, right? I have given myself a break from self-help because I have found that my brain is saturated in that realm. I guess I have found shame in my inability to be different based on all the knowledge I have. But this book opened me up to the possibility that I am NOT flawed. Just my HABITS are flawed. Ha, I can find a solution to that! I loved it. I wish I had the hard copy so I could write a few notes down, but I loved learning the basics of habits and how ha ...more
Cliff Chew
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Being a book about habits, I definitely will have to compare this with another, most probably even more famous, book called "The Power of Habit". Both books cover very similar points, which is good to reinforce your knowledge on the concepts of habits. This book focuses more on explanations, while "Power" has more focus on actually working on your habits. Nice stories, but they are mostly stuff that you have covered if you have read "Power". At least that is my opinion.

I think both books are no
Heather Gordon
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought the book made some good points, but it was overall very redundant and could have easily been summarized in a couple paragraphs. There were many cited studies which helped contribute to the points being made, but were often only briefly mentioned. I wish the author had expanded further on the techniques of making and breaking habits rather than just giving examples of people experiencing success or failure. Some may learn best that way, but I prefer books like this to elaborate on the s ...more
Agnes Velez
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a hard time sticking to the things that I learned and that I know will work because I am so stuck in my old ways. Reading this book reminded me of things that I knew and some new things I didn't know that I feel will help create new habits for me and help me kick the old bad ones I so desperately need to stop. This is a great read and I will read it over and over to use as a go-to for reminders with all my highlights.
Gayatri
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacob
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really a good book. I believe this book should be a must have as it explains the way we justify our lives/habits. We mostly act out of how we've acted before and how we act is a habit. It addresses the big questions of obtaining more happiness, better health and more creativity. This book provides methods for changing our habits but mostly explains how and why habits exist.
O
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Its a well written books with great examples and concrete research backing up its points.
The book did not have a great emphasis on the "how part" when it comes to breaking and making new habits (only two chapters where dedicated for these two points). However, the reader can glean the main points of the book and absorb its cardinal ideas by a careful and focused read.
Brandon Mcgee
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeing habits in a different light

There are a lot of things I do without ever realizing I am doing them. This book opened up my eyes to those habits. I have a much better understanding at approaching habits; either eliminating bad habits or starting new ones.

I look forward to putting this into practice as I approach new goals to forming good habits.
Simmoril
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I enjoyed this book. It was a decent overview of some of the research that has been done in how habits are formed, how they are broken, and it offers some good insight into how you can use this research to benefit yourself, in terms of health, happiness, and overall well-being.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• What's Stopping You?: Why Smart People Don't Always Reach Their Potential, and How You Can
  • The Truth About Trust: How It Determines Success in Life, Love, Learning, and More
  • The 7 Laws of Magical Thinking: How Irrational Beliefs Keep Us Happy, Healthy, and Sane
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • Mind Over Mind: The Surprising Power of Expectations
  • Smart Thinking: Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done
  • The Luck Factor: Changing Your Luck, Changing Your Life - The Four  Essential Principles
  • The Ego Trick: In Search Of The Self
  • The Half-life of Facts: Why Everything We Know Has an Expiration Date
  • Wisdom: From Philosophy to Neuroscience
  • Self-Discipline in 10 Days: How to Go from Thinking to Doing
  • You Are Not Your Brain: The 4-Step Solution for Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking, and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Zig Zag: The Surprising Path to Greater Creativity
  • Practical Intelligence: The Art and Science of Common Sense
  • Anxiety, Phobias, and Panic
  • Solving the Procrastination Puzzle: A Concise Guide to Strategies for Change
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Future Science: Essays from the Cutting Edge
Jeremy Dean has two advanced degrees in psychology and is currently a psychology researcher at University College London. He is author of the acclaimed website 'PsyBlog', which describes scientific research into how the mind works.
“The true aim of personal change is to turn our minds away from miracle cures and quick fixes, and adopt a long-term strategy. Habit change isn’t a sprint; it’s a marathon. The right mindset is to wake up tomorrow almost exactly the same person, except for one small change—a small change that you can replicate every day until you don’t notice it anymore, at which point it’s time to plan another small change” 4 likes
“Families that have established good, predictable routines tend to be happier, with both parents and children being better adjusted.” 2 likes