Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women

The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
25 chilling short stories by outstanding female writers. Women have always written exceptional stories of horror and the supernatural. This anthology aims to showcase the very best of these, from Amelia B. Edwards's 'The Phantom Coach', published in 1864, through past luminaries such as Edith Wharton and Mary Elizabeth Braddon, to modern talents including Muriel Gray, Sara ...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Running Press (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women

Randolph
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Not bad collection of tales that are fun to read by the wintry fireside. A blend of classic and newer writers. Collection is held back by a few mediocre stories and three stories that in my opinion are just misplaced, didn't belong in this themed anthology. I think the editor was trying to send some message about the potential breadth of the genre and lost track of what it was all about. Especially notable offerings by Sarah Pinborough, Muriel Gray, Nancy Kilpatrick, and Lisa Tuttle. Great cover ...more
Majanka
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women is an anthology you have to own. One by one, I found the stories mentioned to be breathtakingly unique, and each of them deal with the subject of ‘ghosts’ in their own, distinct way. Some stories are pure horror, spine-chilling, offering goosebumps. Others are more mundane, and talk about the departure of loved ones. Others are set in a purely fictional world, with necromancers and warlocks.

Because of the length and the diversity of this anthology, it’s
Marie-Therese
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating would be 3 1/2 stars if I had the option to give that here on Good Reads.

This is a solid collection of ghost stories by American and British women writing in English. Featuring a mix of old and new, thematically there's something for almost everyone, with an especially strong selection of haunted house type tales. I would have liked to see more diversity in setting and some stories by Anglophone authors from outside the US and UK, as well as some translated works if this was really meant
Cindy Brown Ash
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
S.M.M. Lindström
A collection of short stories centered on ghosts, written by women from the 18oos all the way to present time. Now, them being ghost stories does not mean they're all horror stories. Seeing as I was looking for horror stories when I bought this, I must admit I was a little disappointed, but that's not the stories' fault.

There are some real gems in here, and I didn't read anything that I didn't enjoy at some level. Just keep in mind that some of these stories will be pure fantasy, or steampunk,
Kirsty
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
I found this really disappointing. Even the stories by authors I usually enjoy were bland and uninspired. I've been reading a lot (like really a lot) of horror this year, and I don't understand why the editor chose these stories, as they're nowhere near the best ghost stories by women out there.
Pandora Black
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Y a vraiment des hauts et des bas dans cette anthologie, mais dans l'ensemble les plus faibles sont vraiment dans la première moitié (je ne comprends toujours pas ce que fait l'histoire de The ninth witch là dedans), mais les nouvelles de la deuxième moitié sont vraiment chouettes, ce qui rattrape bien.
Your Common House Bat
Oct 31, 2015 added it
Recommends it for: Ghost story/paranormal fans
Recommended to Your Common House Bat by: Bookstore employee
Story 1; I liked the descriptive language. The way she described the ghosts and the pipe. Loved the setting.

Story 2; I loved how in the end both turned out to be ghosts and that the theme of the story was to contact an already dead loved one who would take the narrator to the other side. Loved the Midwest setting and tone/language.

Story 3; this one didn’t interest me as much as the first two but it was still good no less. The idea of him trying to harm himself to get the attention of his wife.
Gabriel

- "The fith bedroom" by Alex Bell ---> 3.3
- "Scair
Emma Joy
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I went into this expecting horror, but it isn't, they're just ghost stories. A bit hit and miss, but overall an enjoyable reading experience.
Sana Burton
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Kind of a mixed bag, as anthologies often can be. Overall, it was mostly just okay, but there were definitely some stories that stood out from the rest and made this a book worth reading.
Maree Kimberley
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit of hit and miss collection with some good stories and others that failed to impress. My favourite was Edith Wharton's 1910 story, Afterward. Chilling and creepy, it was the story that really lingered. Others that resonated with me include God Grant that she Lie Still, The Ninth Witch and Sister, Shhh. I really enjoyed the inclusion of he older stories. Although their old fashioned style made them a little difficult to read, it was great to see the roots of ghost story writing and how write ...more
Catty
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an extremely good collection of supernatural stories, and would be ideal for a reader new to this genre. The editor had worked really hard to show a good time span of this genre in particular, and t shows. There are some classic stories here which I always enjoy reading, but the standouts for me within the newer stories were "The Madam Of The Narrow Houses" by Caitlin R Kiernan (just beautifully written and a really interesting subject matter) and "Collect Call" by Sarah Pinborough (a YA ...more
Jane
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this on Kindle on my lunch breaks whenever I got the chance, which is the best way to read short stories I think. Each story is very different from the last and I liked all but two or three of them. Some were supernatural rather than spooky. Others were traditional gothic ghost tales. I especially love haunted houses and ghostly children. This book has plenty of those. I'll probably read it again and just skip over the stories I didn't like.
Adriana Martinez
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
As a ghost stories loving person this book to me was boring. A few stories made me happy to have bought this book but I have to say they were few. If you want a spine chilling book then stick to H.P. Lovecraft or Poe. The only story that I would recommend is Let Loose by Mary Cholmondeley whose writting reminds me of a classic. I recommend you go to a B&N and read a few stories there without buying the book
Rachel
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
The perks of these novels with short stories is you can pick and choose the authors you want to read and stay away from the ones that don't seem so interesting!!! I did flip through most of them and some of them just didn't catch me fast enough for being a short story, but the other ones were quite good!
Carolyn
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some of these stories were so great the paranormal world hid such gems due to the gender factor. What a disgraceful shame. Still we are fortunate in these times to dig them out of hiding and re publish them. There were one or two rather dull tales. But the rest either completely scared me or had me guessing and questioning the tale hours later. LOVED it!!!!
Deanne
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Some really good stories, some by modern writers and other older more classic victorian stories. Those victorians knew how to set up the scene, but it helps if there's candlelight.
However there seem to be a couple of stories where it was difficult to spot the ghost.
Read this at the hospital at night, a place where I've heard of quite a few stories, but it's not surprising.
Leanne Spencer
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
It was alright. Some of the stories were more fantasy than ghost story, especially the last one. There were a couple that I liked, but most of them don't really stand out.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Every single one of my ghost story collections has the Old Nurse's Tale and The Phantom Coach. Both are good stories, but there must be a limit to how many collections these can be in.
Dan Johnson
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A wonderful selection of stories, old and new. From sad to fanciful, each one was worthwhile, and will be on my list to re-read in the future.
Sherrie
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, fantasy
I like these type of stories because it is an excellent way to find a new author I have not read before and look for her books. I obtain this book from the library. A great selection of writers.
Eighmey
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the Victorian and Edwardian ghost stories. some of the newer authors have apparently tried to redefine the meaning of a ghost story. overall I enjoyed this book.
Raz O'Xane
Nov 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
The first, ghostbuster and action-packed story with all its useless extra stuff killed my interest, the uninspired beginning of the second story nailed the coffin.
Gail Martin
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mara
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: From Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce
  • The Mammoth Book of Body Horror
  • The Bitten Word
  • Cracklescape (Twelve Planets book 7)
  • Year's Best Weird Fiction, Vol. 1
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories