Start by marking “The Muse Is In: An Owner’s Manual to Your Creativity” as Want to Read:
The Muse Is In: An Owner’s Manual to Your Creativity

The Muse Is In: An Owner’s Manual to Your Creativity

Following her perennial-seller The Awe-Manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder, Jill Badonsky returns with a fun new book that will help her readers get their creativity working like a well-oiled machine. As a creativity-coaching pioneer, Jill knows that many people feel distracted, blocked, and overwhelmed.

The Muse Is In: An Owner's Manual to Your Creativity outlines how to power
Published January 8th 2013 by Running Press Adult (first published December 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Muse Is In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Muse Is In

Start your review of The Muse Is In: An Owner’s Manual to Your Creativity
Coreena McBurnie
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that I'm biased toward Jill's books. My own road to writing and exploring my creativity took a huge leap a few years ago when I participated in a course based on her first book, The Nine Modern Day Muses. Reading that book and taking that course changed so many things for me.

So, I was crazy excited and honoured to participate in the blog tour for Jill's new book, The Muse Is In, and I have to say, I was not disappointed. I eagerly opened the package when it arrived in the mail, sav
Shannon
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I will never be finished reading this beautiful little book. That's the point. The information included inside is for viewing, reviewing, looking at in a new light, considering again, returning to, and applying in separate projects. It is quirky, fun, helpful, encouraging, full of tough love, silly, and essential all at once. Jill Badonsky has a way of speaking to all types of people with her easy conversational prose, and her whimsical illustrations are inspiring embellishments. It's a visually ...more
K.E. Garvey
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've owned a reference book or two in my time, but never one like 'The Muse Is In'. In most reference books, the writing is linear, beginning with an idea and following it through to the end, the truly relevant parts strewn here and there. What makes this book different is that no matter which page you open the book to, there are ideas, suggestions or information that will kickstart a stalled imagination.

There was a time (long ago) when I thought I had to have every reference book ever written t
Debbie Hoskins
I found this at Barnes & Noble because I found a gift card for Barnes & Noble in the house. We're moving. The card only had 19 cents left on it. Since I was in the store anyway, I went upstairs to look for grief or creativity books that I couldn't resist. I hate to buy books, because I have too many and I can borrow them from the library, but if there's one that will take me a long time to read or if it's really cute...
This one is really cute. The first part reads like a flow chart. If you are p
Kate Robertson
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jill Badonsky has done it again. The prefect owners manual for any creative person. I especially liked the Troubleshooting section. Finding yourself in fear, or overwhelm, check out that chapter and you get a list of techniques to move your through that block. Its brilliant. The daily prompts are fantastic, you need to jumpstart your day, start with one of the daily prompts. They will inspire and get you going. I also love the durability of the book and all the wonderful illustrations. Go order ...more
Jessica Furtado
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-creativity
I did not find this guide very useful. It's set up as a sort of test launch makes the book feel like it is constantly priming the reader, but never really leading the reader to content worth spending time on. There is a great deal of wasted space and the content feels cluttered. I didn't learn anything new about kick-starting my creativity. In the end, I appreciated the intent of the book more than the execution of it.
Laurie London
This is one of those books you don't just "read." You keep it close and thumb through it to get some fun, creative inspiration, or if you need a boost when you're doubting yourself. I loved the illustrations and the pictures.
Michelle Brunet
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very fun, made a lot of duh observations that were actually AHA moments for me.
Terri
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Even if I am making art in my head, I still have those days when I'm stuck! This is just what I need for just such days to get me started again! Love this whimsical manual with so many soulful recipes to create!
Diane Warrington
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, non-fiction
I really enjoyed reading this as it was fun and practical. May have to buy my own copy, my highest accolade.
Jeanine
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Mostly a picture book about finding one's creative skills.
Usagi
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only negative thing I have to say about this book is that the glossy black pages show finger marks. Otherwise, this a fun read-through, but also great to open to a random page for inspiration.
Jmp
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book. Colorful illustrations lists original ideas
Lori Gertz
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I broke open this incredibly beautiful book full of original artwork I was a bit flummoxed and found it a little chaotic and disjointed, but after a few pages I got my bearings and fell in love with it. I most associated with the insights on the Process Fuel. The suggestion to think about how I want the creative process to feel and the idea starters to get to that feeling were fantastic. The book's creative insights are punctuated by a daily "inspiration" to incorporate creative exercises i ...more
Leora Wenger
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
Love, love, love the whimsical drawings. Not so crazy about all the quotes that fill up the second half of the book. The advice in the beginning rings true, such as don't be afraid to make mistakes, although her drawings don't look like they have mistakes. Maybe that is the point? (What looks like a mistake to the artist may be fine to a viewer). I would enjoy more of her books just because I love her drawing style.
Nicholas Cho
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Practical advice on how to get your creative motor running and going.
There's a lot of up and downs that will come in a creative oriented journey, and it is this book that will give you perspective on persevering through the hard times and staying optimistic and playful during the good times.
Pick this book up if you're on a journey that encounters resistance from your environment and/or society.
Stef
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I liked the presentation of this book, as well as the section at the end where there were creative suggestions for 365 days. But during a time of me feeling creatively stagnant, I wish this book was more inspiring -- I hadn't expected it to seem so "technical"(e.g., reasons why you're not doing something creative and how to fix that).
Anita
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This inspiring little book encourages us to bring out the best in our creativity and persevere with anything that may hold us back. It provides tidbits of creative wisdom and ways to promote our artistic self. I may go back to it as a reference for jump-starting my creativity.
Eric
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Little below 3.5. It is creative and colourful, but there are a lot of typos and unrefinement. it was enjoyable in that it was different and it accomplished its objective decently enough.
Jillbadonsky
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books that I've written.
Hope my next is even better.
Bradley
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: year-2013
A book about creativity and things you can do to jump start it.
Lee Heffner
Jan 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Best suited to a five year old
Naomi Ash

• The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Journal of a Solitude
  • The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History
  • Letters to a Young Artist: Building a Life in Art
  • Middlegame (Middlegame, #1)
  • Please See Us
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Becoming Bulletproof: Protect Yourself, Read People, Influence Situations, and Live Fearlessly
  • Wade in the Water: Poems
  • The Achievement Habit: Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life
  • Less Than Charming
  • Pandemic Survival: It's Why You're Alive
  • Lady in the Lake
  • He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
  • Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • Bloodfever (Fever, #2)
  • The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5)
  • The Wolf Wants In