Start by marking “Freshman Year” as Want to Read:
Freshman Year

Freshman Year (You Know Who Girls #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  597 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Abbey Brooks, Gila High freshman-to-be, never thought a hellish day of shopping at the mall with her best friend, Kate, could change her life. But when she orders French fries from the flirtatious Hot Dog on a Stick Chick, she gets more than deep-fried potatoes. Abbey tries to ignore the weird, happy feeling in her gut, but that proves to be as impossible as avoiding the v ...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Bold Strokes Books (first published December 19th 2010)

Annameekee Hesik
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Lesbian Teens, LGBTQ Allies
Girl meets girl like you have never read before!

This is the perfect book for any girl who has ever wondered, "Am I a you-know-who girl, too?" It's got romance, diversity, laughs, heartache, and basketball. Who could ask for more? :) Of course, if you want more, a sequel is in the works! Annameekee Hesik
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

“I mean, I don’t know what I am, so why is it anyone else’s business and why is everyone talking about me?”

Freshman Year is a hidden gem. I didn't know it existed until Dahlia linked me.

I've been actively seeking light coming of age books and this one perfectly fits the category. It has a lot of relevant things to impart to readers.

It follows the story of Abbey Brooks an incoming freshman, who is coming to terms with her new found discovery about herself.  Its about firsts, falling without rese
D. Leigh
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best YA books I've read. Hesik captures teen angst and pours it onto the pages in a way that transports you back to crowded halls, high school cliques and smelly locker rooms. Her characters are so true to life, her story so well written and so compelling, it is a must read for any middle school or high school student. I hope to see copies of this book in a lot of libraries.

Oh yeah, it's a great read for adults, too.
Tawnya Peltonen
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, emotional read! I could not put this book down! I loved it so much I was torn between wanting to read it all in one sitting and needing to make it last as long as possible. The characters are so...NORMAL, they're easy to relate to whether you're gay, straight or questioning your sexuality. They're also very memorable. I know I certainly won't be forgetting about them anytime soon.

I read ALOT and this story is familiar yet really unique and fresh. It made me laugh. It made me cry. And it
Aeicha
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm always on the lookout for a great YA book with LGBT focused characters, so I was super excited to find Annameekee Hesik's The You Know Who Girls: Freshman Year and even more excited to discover just how great this book is.

Abbey Brooks is about to start her freshman year at Gila High with her BFF Kate and they've made a pact to not try-out for basketball and stay away from the rumored lesbian b-ball players, aka the you know who girls. But Abbey has a secret. She just might be one of those yo
AJ Reyes
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is, basically, the awesomest. Annameekee Hesik wrote about me. You know, if I was a you know who girl and a fictional character.
Not only has Annameekee given us a great storyline, but the characters that she has brought to us are real and relatable. These characters are people that I crossed paths with in high school. It was refreshing to read about real people and not stereotypes, especially in a book about gay characters.
Following Abbey through her romantic encounters, her new fr
Kimberly Russell
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was surprised when I realized this might be my first LGBT friendly book. I'm not really sure why I haven't read more of them. (Note - the subject matter does not bother me in the slightest).

I thought the book was fun, thought provoking without being preachy and I would even recommend it to younger readers.

I received this from Net Galley but my opinions are my own.
Natsu
This made me smile, annoyed me, made me want to hit someone, made me want to scream at someone, knock some sense into them, made me swoon, grit my teeth, wince, laugh out loud, even get a bit teary eyed (or maybe I'm just PMSing) ... solid 5.
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this book via GoodReads. I was thrilled when I found out. :-)

This the first entirely LGBT book that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact I read it over a few hours as I couldn't put it down. It was wonderfully written. I think this in itself is a good sign I loved it!

Over the last year or so I've developed a love of contemporary ya, particularly those with sports related storylines mixed with a bit of romance. Examples include Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenn
Kristy Sartain- Whispering Pretty Stories Reviews

Abbey has been warned not to try out for the girls basketball team because there are lesbians on the team and she wouldn't want to be associated with *them* during her first year in high school.

Except she is one.

This story is beautifully crafted, not too over the top. You can tell Hesik is around high school aged kids. The language is perfect, the actions are perfect, and the relationships among the kids and faculty are all perfect for high school.

I lov
Kageashi
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Poignant, touching story about a freshman struggling with her identity - as a student, as a friend, a daughter, and as a lesbian. The cliche "page turner" aptly applies here - the protagonist compels the reader to keep reading and see how her story turns out.

Ending feels like a "To Be Continued..." - hopefully so, as I personally would like to see how the characters continue to evolve.
Sally
This book, omfgasdfjhksflbbbbtSQUEE.

So I started it yesterday and could not put it down from the first page! Until it was super late and I was only halfway through, and my alarm was set for 7:25am (allowing for two, maybe three, hits of snooze, although on my new phone I have to be careful because what was snooze on my OLD phone is cancel alarm on the new. At least that kind of makes me wake up faster because I have to be aware of exactly what button I'm sleepily pressing)... anyway, there was n
Linh Nguyen
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, young-adult
Very realistic, reminds me of my own innocent, bewilder, chaotic freshmeat time. I think it has a The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants feel to it, which I loved to read as a teen.
Erin
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
If only stories like this were available when I was going through high school I would have felt so much more comfortable. Annameekee Hesik did a wonderful job of bringing in all the feelings that high school students experience in this well written story following Abbey Brooks' first year. So well written in fact that I went through the whole slew of feelings indicative of high school: confusion, frustration, love, hate, being an outcast and finally finding that acceptance. Following Abbey throu ...more
Melanie
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgallery
Every now and again you read a book which is different and refreshing - for me The You Know Who Girls was just that. Annameekee has a way of writing which brings the characters to life with emotions and vitality.

I do feel that this book won't appeal to everyone, just because (For some) of the subject matter. Sadly in this day and age there is still people who can't accept its ok to have feelings for someone of the same sex. What I loved about this book was how Annameekee addressed Abby's feelin
Dahlia
So many mixed feelings. On the one hand, I feel like if you're a young queer girl, this could be a really great "I'm not alone, this stuff is all healthy and normal, and so's not finding the love of your life at 14-15, and so's not fully coming out" book. On the other hand, while cheating isn't a deal breaker for me, it's really hard to enjoy this book or anyone in it when everyone cheats on each other. It's just sort of unpleasantly gross. It's not like it's a "queer girls can't be trusted" gro ...more
Fernanda
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian
I have really liked that book, the story is well written and captivating.
I have been able not only to enjoy the POV of Abbey(and be in her mind is really funny) but I have been also glad to can be reminded about my life at 14/15years old...so this story is really realistic.
This book talk about family, friendship, first-love, sport, school and how to come to terms with sexuality when as a girl you fall in love for the first time with another girl (and for once it's not a fall for the BFF, and tha
Heatherblakely
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.3/3.5, but rounding up.

This book had a lot of diversity! Which is something I care deeply about! And if this were a TV show, it would probably be on ABC Family because of all the diversity!

This was kind of a typical coming out story, but still enjoyable. I liked the basketball element, and that the main character started messing up her grades because she was so distracted by everything (which is very realistic for someone who has just started high school). There was a friendship I questioned
Marian
Oct 29, 2012 added it
I really enjoyed this book. It's one of those stories where I didn't want to put it down until I was done reading.

The characters were great. Abbey was a cool protagonist and her friends from the basketball team were a riot. The story is unique and thought provoking. And the dialogue really grabbed my attention. I loved some of the conversations between Abbey and her mom or Abby and Kate's sister.

I definitely would recommend this book to a friend, and I look forward to reading more from this auth
Cassandra Lemard
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I'm a huge wnba fan, and the fact this book was obviously about women and basketball I just had to read it! And it was worth every penny. It almost makes me wish I was apart of this story and was one of the "you know who girls".

As soon as I finished the book (which only took me a day) I checked to see if there was a sequel which there is and I believe is due out for release December of this year. Which I am trying to wait patiently for!

I'd recommend this book 100%
Terri
It's been awhile since I've read any YA books, but I enjoyed this. It's well written and flows very well. Sometimes I want to strangle a character or two but they are teenagers so that probably normal. This is a good YA self discovery story about a 14/15 year old girl that joins the school basketball team. It contains some of the struggles that a questioning teen would face and how she deals with them as best as her teenage self can. Maybe wrong, maybe right but she accepts her wrongs and does h ...more
Ruby Ridge
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great book, Annameekee Hesik really makes the character of Abbey come to life. She has for a great witty way of writing that will make you laugh out loud in places and really feel for Abbey in others. I can relate to the daydreaming sequences, they are so true to life. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Recommended for gay, straight, male. female, alien or clever animals. You will not regret reading this book - I promise.
Ceh131973
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible book about finding out who you are and the trials that come with it. Hesik creates believeable characters that you just want everything to work out for, The pace is steady and made me feel like I was back in high school again with all the drama and confusion. This is definately a book I can recommend to students because it is not explicit. In fact it is almost painful in it's curiosity and innocence, in a good way.
Beej
Apr 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Honesty this book put me off rather quickly, her friends laughing about people being gay, the whole thing about cheating and a senior girl aggressively pursuing a freshman was just uncomfortable I couldn't even finish it, I got part way through and gave up.
Lydia Kumpf
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, lqbtq, 2018
This book was fun and cute. The friends are kinda shitty to each other and the girls slut shame waaaay to much. But I had fun reading it and cute ya lgbtq stories are hard to find.
Lori Renee
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very light, endearing coming out story. I found it quite enjoyable to read.
Terri
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian
I liked this story as it features a teen finding out who she is and then finding a way to deal with those around her accepting her and not.
CassTrusty
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Depressing

I was suffocating throughout this entire book and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Then again, these stories exist and are liked by some, so I assume some people love these kinds of open ended dramas where you just wish you didn’t exist to even have read this. If no stars was an option, I would have chosen that.
J. Peters
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The You Know Who Girls was kind of a refreshing change of pace from most of the other LGBT YA novels that I've read over the past little while, in that it approached the whole thing so casually. Like, sure, there was still dealing with the dread of coming out and dealing with homophobia from friends and strangers alike, but for the most part, the story never lost it's casual tone.

Abbey was a fun, though sometimes frustrating, main character. She had a lot of issues to deal with on her plate, ra
Tom
The last place Abbey Brooks wanted to be that day was at the mall with her fashionista BFF, Kate, but she couldn't have imagined what would happen next.

She orders fries and a small lemonade from Hot Dog on A Stick, and finds herself entranced by the beautiful girl behind the counter. A few days later, when she and her mom take Abbey's father's guitar in for a tune-up, imagine her shock when that same girl works there, too.

The girl's name is Keeta, and soon she's all that Abbey can think about.
YA LGBT Books: Annameekee Hesik 1 21 Nov 24, 2012 06:11PM
  • Alix & Valerie
  • Ambereye (Garoul, #2)
  • Starting from Here
  • Instigations
  • Shield of Justice (Justice, #1)
  • Of All the Stupid Things
  • Big Big Sky
Annameekee Hesik came out when she was fifteen and has since been
obsessed with rainbows. After successfully surviving high school in
Tucson, AZ, she went to college for six years and changed her major
five times. She earned her BA in English lit from UC Davis and her
MA in education from UC Santa Cruz. She is thrilled she finally
decided to become a high school English teacher (with a background
in ant
More about Annameekee Hesik

You Know Who Girls (3 books)
  • Driving Lessons
  • Year of Yes

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)