Start by marking “Love by the Numbers” as Want to Read:
Love by the Numbers

Love by the Numbers

As a behavioral scientist, Professor Nicole Hathaway’s work strips away the foolish mystique that surrounds the human mating dance. When her academic tome is treated as a viral “love manual” her ecstatic publisher books her to appear all over the U.S. and Europe. Worse yet, her quiet, managed life has been shattered by a series of incompetent assistants. And she’s certain ...more
Published April 2nd 2013 by Bella Books (first published November 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love by the Numbers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love by the Numbers

Start your review of Love by the Numbers
Kara
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Love by the Numbers” is a very enjoyable story of a slow-burn romance between two women forced to spend time traveling together across europe.

MC Nicole (Cole, in her closeted lesbian persona) enjoys one-night stands, but hasn’t let the world know that the successful published academic is gay. MC Lily needs to escape the U.S. for awhile to get away from a relentless TV reporter who wants to hold Lily publicly accountable for crimes committed by Lily’s parents. Having grown up wealthy, and now
Skye Kilaen
This quasi-road trip F/F romance is extremely slow burn, but for good reasons, and well worth it. Indian-American behavioral scientist Nicole Hathaway wrote a book that was supposed to be an academic work on her research into biological markers for successful romantic relationships. It accidentally became a bestseller, and her publisher demands she go on an international publicity tour, which is the very definition of hell for introverted Nicole. Extroverted Lily Linden-Smith needs a job after ...more
lov2laf
This is a review for the audio version of the book...

Book: 3.6 stars
Narrator: 4.25

I have mixed feelings on the book. I think it's fairly good and believe most people would enjoy it. It's well written but it comes off a little bland to me, not in the premise or even the characters but there are long periods where not a lot happens. Nicole and Lily travel all around Europe and into America on a book tour and there is scene after scene of them together with very subtle shifts and many scenes of
Elske
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book again and liked it still a lot. Very nice romantic story and well written. 5 stars
Tere
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nicole Hathaway is a behaviorist scientist and professor unexpectedly embarking on a book tour after her research was taken as a love recipe book. After she managed to make three assistants quit, her publisher gives her an ultimatum and sends one last assistant, Lily Smith. This temporary job is a blessing for Lily. She has been in the public eye because of her parents Ponzi scheme and now is bankrupt and forced to stop the studies needed to become a diplomat. The two women seem to not have many ...more
Velvet Lounger
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, comedy
Professor Nicole Hathaway’s life is controlled, ordered and organized. As a specialist in neurobiology and biopsychology – behavioral sciences – she knows that every human emotion is caused by chemical reactions in the brain. The success of her research work, on how DNA analysis can show relationship compatibility, has brought unexpected demands from her publisher and she is bound to a speaking tour around Europe and the USA.

Having driven away 3 assistants sent to organize the tour and accompany
Tainá
This was not the quick full of tropes romance I was expecting, it’s a slow burn and at some points I felt like the author was purposely avoiding the tropes I enjoy so much, but I loved it anyway. Both characters are very smart and have strong personalities in different ways and I really liked their dynamic.

I also liked the fact that both characters are good people. Lily was obviously much more open and sociable, but she wasn’t teaching her bitchy boss how to be a decent person and to care about
Corporate Slave
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Was an average read I would give it 2.5 rounded up to 3. My main issue was that I didn't like both main characters unfortunately :(
Agirlcandream
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent from beginning to end.
C. Mack
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh, what a great read! I loved the slow burn and character development. A really lovely book that I can easily recommend to those who like this sort of thing!
Frank Van Meer
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This book almost lost me at the beginning. The science and academia talk was hard to follow for me (english is not my native language).

But when the two very different characters started on their "road trip", it turned into an engaging book.

I really loved how each of them where in conflict with being around each other. Nicole trying explaining it all with several chemicals (called "whatever-tines by Lily), and Lily's hilarious discussions between Libido, Circumspect and Common Sense.

Nicole
Lira
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have to say I really enjoyed this read. It had the perfect flow. One of the main characters, Nicole reminded me of Temperance Brennan from the show Bones. I love them both! Both characters were likable from the start. The scenes painted vivid pictures in my mind. Great story telling by Karin as always. I hope she's already writing her next novel because I can't wait to read it.
Ndy
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writer, ff, academic
I liked how the author tried to balance the personality of her extrovert and her introvert main character and find the golden mean between their personalities. I admit sometimes I skipped some of the scientific explanations, but I liked the story in general, even though I think, that the ending was a little bit rushed.
Diana
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction

This is well-written story, a bit slow-paced for my liking but all in all engaging. The dialogues were smart and interesting especially the first half of the book. From the middle on it kind of took a different style however it was yet a very nice reading.

I found myself enjoying a lot of their interactions. The chemistry between the main characters was nice and compelling and the development of their relationship even though was well portrayed I think it took too many pages to finally get there
LVLMLeah
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, lesbian
This is a cute, light love story, but not too much depth to it.

Both characters are very likable and I felt they had good chemistry.

The ending felt a little too pat. The women spend almost 85% of the book getting to know each other and slowly falling in love, although the big misunderstanding is a constant barrier right up until the end. It felt like they went from 0-60 in the last few pages.

Still, it's a fun book and I recommend it.

Side note: I listened to this book and felt the narrator
Arien
I enjoyed this book even though not a lot happened in the middle and the end felt somehow uncharacteristic or maybe a bit rushed. Some say they couldn't connect with the characters, I'd say I enjoyed a character that is not a Mary Sue self insert for a change. A lot of people also mention Nicole's use of big words as a negative which didn't bother me at all, it felt appropriate for a highly introverted researcher and a professor.

Overall it was an engaging read for me. I can recommend this book.
Megzz
Nov 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Extremely tedious to read. I'm sorry, but writing overly long sentences and using complicated words does not make a good writer. It was like listening to a perfectly well built piece of music but feeling no emotion whatsoever. Sometimes less is more. Especially in the case of romance novels where the focus is on feelings.
I understand that Nicole is not a very sensitive being, but that doesn't mean the writing has to lack emotion. But then again, I remember feeling the same way reading other
Dinah Dietrich
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Karin Kallmaker Love by the Numbers

It was wonderful!!!!!!

I stayed up all night reading this book and I could not put it down....The characters are well drawn and the story exciting, unpredictable.

Although this story is billed as fiction, there is lots of real life there....The feeling of "I'm a lesbian but don't let her know it she'd be shocked" is a familiar one.
Loved this book.
Violet
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books, ff
There should be more scientifically approved methods to find love*

*this message has been totally approved by science.

Lighthearted, moderately smexy, endearing story with a super cute happy ending. What's not to love.
Misha
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
I don't read romance novels. I don't like romance novels. Obviously, I didn't know what this was when I ordered it. Damn it all, I really enjoyed it. I mean I REALLY enjoyed it. I want to read more of Karen Kallmaker's romance novels! ME! Me, who thinks romance novels are a waste of my time because no one writes anything I'm interested in. They all annoy me. Except this one. I just can't get over how much I enjoyed reading this romance novel. Wow. I don't know what else to say. I'm at a loss for ...more
Milkiways
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, lesfic
Highly engaging, well developed characters, interestingly pedantic, adventurous ..... the writer certainly did her research considering how precisely she narrated everything. The supporting characters are great too but, there is only a little of them. It could have been more humorous with bit more of Kate nonetheless, its a good book and I am looking forward to read more books by Karin Kallmaker.
Jem
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vanilla-romance
Everything that a Karin Kallmaker romance is supposed to be. Interesting characters, lots of tension between them, engaging story, and the requisite HEA. I rate this a 4.5 but since there's no half star, I'm quite willing to round it up.

Natsu
It's cute, really. Nicole and Lily's chemistry is adorable.

The banter/internal musings/face offs involving Nicole were fun to read in a geeky kind of way.

4.5 stars for ya.
Ashley
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Somewhat reluctant to give this book 4 stars, as the last three pages seemed ripped from some other book with completely different characters. I yelled at this book, mourning what had been a solid story with realistic characters and absolutely no sexual assault, homophobic violence, or niche sex stuff that turns off 70% of readers. There was even a woman of colour as a main character, and she was written well! An enjoyable story throughout, until the doubly trite ending. I would have preferred ...more
Alsha
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f
I was reaaally enjoying the tantalising, lush, personality-rich pace of this book until literally the last few pages... then it took a sudden, inexplicable nose-dive into a cream-pie finale. Insta-downgrade to 3.5 stars, I’m afraid. If I ever reread it, I’m excising the last chapter. After the delightful carefulness of everything up to that point, I would have loved to see them actually talk through their feelings and the implications.

Otherwise, well written with engaging characters, realistic
Aj Smith
Mar 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
We get it, you went to Europe but that does not a novel make! It just smacks of 'look at me and how much I know'

Ugh, maybe it's just being from Europe and knowing the places she's endlessly waffling on about; I really liked Kallmaker's Hollywood based stories Stepping Stone & Captain of Industry.

Possibly my shortest review ever but I don't really feel like reviewing a travel guide.
Ameliah Faith
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
New fan
I am a first time reader of Ms. Kallmaker's. This will not be the last of her books I read. I read this book a few months ago and it is still with me. I knew I needed to write a review for her.

I truly enjoyed this story. I am a sucker for a classic romance story and this was it!

The concept was fun, the writing good and it flowed well. There was enough conflict and tension to keep it interesting and of course I got my HEA (Happily Ever After) which is ALWAYS a good thing!

I think I will
Ted
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-feels
Loved this back in the day when I originally read it but decided to re read via the audio version. The only thing I scratched my head about was how the ending got smooshed together but that's minor. About the audio it was done very very well. The only nit I had was maybe there could have been more variance in the MCs voices. Other than that it was top notch quality.
Amy
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good characters. Too much analytical narration and "head jumping" to develop them. Their conversations was enough to get a sense of each of the main characters. I'm a sucker for a romance, and this was endearing. I really appreciated the links of time involved in the characters getting to know one another.
Jax
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really 4.5 stars. Overall I enjoyed the science aspects and how they grew to have some wonderful banter. And while not all of the scenes were necessary I appreciated that we had a sense of the time it took for them to grow towards each other.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Forget Her Not
  • In Development
  • All That Lies Within
  • Coming Home
Karin Kallmaker has been exclusively devoted to lesbian fiction since the publication of her first novel in 1989. As an author published by the storied Naiad Press, she worked with Barbara Grier and Donna McBride, and has been fortunate to be mentored by a number of editors, including Katherine V. Forrest.

In addition to multiple Lambda Literary Awards, she has been featured as a Stonewall Library