Start by marking “The Finer Edge: Crocheted Trims, Motifs & Borders” as Want to Read:
The Finer Edge: Crocheted Trims, Motifs & Borders

The Finer Edge: Crocheted Trims, Motifs & Borders

An innovative collection of 40 stitch and 12 garment patterns from best-selling author Kristin Omdahl, The Finer Edge demonstrates various techniques, construction methods, and versatile applications for crochet edgings.

While crochet edgings are customarily used to trim or finish blankets and garments, designer Kristin Omdahl treats you to both traditional and novel new wa
Published January 8th 2013 by Interweave Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Finer Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finer Edge

MD
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
If you want to crochet a border at the bottom of a skirt, the top of a cocoon, create rows of ruffles, make an edging to sew around a neckline, etc. there are some really cute patterns here. Many would probably work on round projects like doilies or round blankets too. A couple look like they would make good bookmarks on their own. A few can be extended indefinitely to create a fabric--curtains maybe?

If you want to crochet a border around an afghan/blanket, you probably want a different book--th
Debra
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book is a wonder is you need help with intricate edgings for your crochet work....
Dana Wright
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
The biggest thing that caught my eye was the possibility of using some of these patterns for a pretty headband, or perhaps an edging for a dishcloth gift- something small where you can learn a new stitch and not want to pass out from terror looking at unreadable instructions. I love that! (not passing out-readable instructions in both formats. lol)

The pictures in the book are colorful and really illustrate the wide variety of styles and functions. The Birka Car Coat was a lovely piece, as was th
Gail
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I agree with the previous reviewers. I think the book is great for all the reasons they didn't like it. One of the main points of the book is to get the reader to explore new applications for the art of the edging. There are literally thousands of existing patterns for thread crochet and there are just as many books and videos with 'how to' instructions. I thought it was refreshing to have an book without all the redundancy.
Tracey
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
nonfiction; intermediate crochet. I've checked this book out before and was impressed by the variety of edging patterns in here, but keep forgetting that I don't know basic crochet beyond a chain stitch and a single crochet stitch (and this is definitely written for a veteran crocheter). Though a quick internet search would probably fill in the stitches I don't know, I managed to muddle through an approximation of one of the simpler patterns and left it at that.
Lil' Grogan
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: handmade
Some nice edgings....but not worked with fine yarn. I guess the title planted expectations in my head. The close-ups/chunkier yarn does make the work easier to see, but without either shots taken from further away or shots of finer work, the edgings just ended up looking bulky. Found the projects also on the chunky side. Bit disappointed in this, maybe I've been spoiled by Japanese books.
Pamela
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafts, fiber-arts
I was so excited to see a new book of crocheted borders and disappointed when I saw the book. Despite the openness of many of the designs I disliked how heavy the borders and motifs looked. I look at designs and think pillowcase & handkerchief edgings. These were heavier designs suitable for clothing and accessories, blankets and perhaps towels. Just not the right edging book for me.
Suzanne Cowles
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The is a smaller book, but has some nice crochet trim patterns which can be used for afghans or shawls. It has written and printed graphic symbol charts. There are bottom up and top down patterns and in the back there are projects using the trims.

Nice book for any library.
Vicki Cline
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
I got this book to get the pattern for a scarf, which was shown on one of the shows, but the pattern was never available on the show's Website. There are lots of clever and beautiful edgings in the book.
Pam
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts, crochet
The edgings have potential, but the projects in the book are nothing I'd be interested in crocheting.
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Rav stashed Birka Car Coat and Memphis Bag
Shiloh Homan
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful edgings

Some really nice trims. I would recommend this to all of my crochet friends. Uses on bedding trimming ,clothing trims, and
Bathroom cuties.
Fluffy Kitty  Susan Ryder
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I saw this book at the library and liked it I had to buy one for my crocheting collection. I plan to crochet myself a wrap around skirt using the edgings. :D :D
Karen Verdier
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Lots of new ways to finish off handwork with edges! A real resource.
Linda
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needlework, 4-stars
Pretty borders for crocheting. Good reference. So good, I recommended that the library purchase it!
Ruby
Dec 05, 2018
Monique
May 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Connect the Shapes Crochet Motifs: Creative Techniques for Joining Motifs of All Shapes
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet
  • Crochet Master Class: Lessons and Projects from Today's Top Crocheters
  • Crochet Stitches Visual Encyclopedia: 300 Stitch Patterns, Edgings, and More
  • Everyday Crochet: Wearable Designs Just for You
  • 100 Snowflakes to Crochet: Make Your Own Snowdrift---to Give or to Keep
  • Simple Crocheting: A Complete How-To-Crochet Workshop with 20 Projects
  • Loop-d-Loop Crochet: More Than 25 Novel Designs for Crocheters (and Kntters Taking Up the Hook)
  • Crochet Bouquet: Easy Designs for Dozens of Flowers
  • Crochet Inspiration
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • Crochet Me
  • 75 Floral Blocks to Crochet: Beautiful Patterns to Mix and Match for Afghans, Throws, Baby Blankets, and More
  • Crochet Boutique: 30 Simple, Stylish Hats, Bags  Accessories
  • The Fine Art of Crochet: Innovative Works from Twenty Contemporary Artists
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • Crochet One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects from Crocheters around the World
  • Crochet Patterns for Dummies
Founder of www.StyledByKristin.com and design company KRISTIN, Kristin Omdahl frequently contributes to the website that bears her name. In addition to showcasing her designs, Kristin serves up terrific articles about knitting, crochet, yarn and even a few sneak peeks at what's new.

Kristin Omdahl designs knit and crochet garments and patterns under her label KRISTIN, and is the author of "Crochet