Start by marking “The Guy Under the Sheets: The Unauthorized Autobiography” as Want to Read:
The Guy Under the Sheets: The Unauthorized Autobiography

The Guy Under the Sheets: The Unauthorized Autobiography

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The explosive, unauthorized autobiography of Emmy-award winning actor and comedian Chris Elliott - a behind-the-scenes memoir so personal, so provocative, that Elliott nearly sued himself to halt publication.
Published October 11th 2012 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about The Guy Under the Sheets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guy Under the Sheets

Scott
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit of a fall from greatness for Elliottphiles like myself, "The Guy Under the Sheets" is his fourth novel and second fake autobiography. His first fake biography, "Daddy's Boy," was pretty funny and sweetly absurd. This attempt has moments of genius and high hilarity, but a little truly does go a long way. Even at a paltry 240 pages or so, this book feels padded and repetitive.

"The Shroud of the Thwacker" was the last novel I read from him and I thought it was one of the funniest and smartest
Andrew
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Along with Norm MacDonald, Michael Showalter, and Larry David, Chris Elliott could read a cereal box and have me in tears. While this book is better than a box of cereal, it's starting to feel like his act is wearing a bit thin. Just a touch, as I still love me some Chris!

Simply, Daddy's Boy was the better of the two fake autobiographies. Taking a different approach for this one and actually telling real stories of his experiences on Get A Life and Cabin Boy would have been more interesting. May
Leslie Langtry
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
As reviewed at Bookendbabes.com:

The Guy Under The Sheets by Chris Elliott, reviewed by Leslie Langtry

Posted on November 1, 2012 by Leslie Langtry

He had me at “Damp”.

Actually, I’ve been a fan of Chris Elliott since his weird and wonderful tv show, GET A LIFE. It appears he’s written a book. Well, I guess he’s written other books too, but this is the first time I noticed.

If you don’t know who Chris Elliott is – try this: If you are my parents, Chris Elliott is the son of Bob Elliott of the comedy
Peter Smith
I think the problem with these books written by famous TV writers (I would link this one with the ones I've just read by Jack Handey and Bob Odenkirk; the one by Adam Resnick was better than these) is that the writing style seems like it would work much better on TV than it does on the written page. That's probably not too surprising for Chris Elliott as his fake (although with a lot of factual people and career moments) autobiography is over-the-top ridiculous. But it doesn't quite capture what ...more
CindySlowReader
Nov 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

I couldn't do it, sorry Chris!

I wanted to like this fake Chris Elliot bio but I couldn't. It was too surreal. Like a string of inside jokes that leave you out in the cold, or a bad dream you can't interpret. I got a few chuckles from the first chapter but it was all downhill from there.

I loved his character Peter from Everybody Loves Raymond and I remember him vaguely from Letterman. Never saw his movie. The other reviewers mentioned his first
Chris
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very disappointed. I'm a big Chris Elliott fan and expected this book to be hilarious. It absolutely wasn't. Perhaps print isn't the best medium for Elliott's sense of humor. He falls into the trap of many books that are supposed to be funny: the jokes simply can't sustain the reader for the length of a book. This book would have been a lot better and probably a lot funnier if it had been a true and accurate version of Elliott's life. That or it might have worked on film but as a book I just did ...more
Lara
I mean, it's Chris Elliott, what do you want?

You'll probably really enjoy this, if you're an Elliott fan, if you can handle jokes that are sometimes ridiculous, sometimes gross, sometimes stupid, sometimes in extremely poor taste, and sometimes just completely nonsensical, and if you can handle the fact that this autobiography is pretty much entirely a work of fiction. It's basically a spoof of the traditional celebrity auto/biography.

I thought it was pretty hilarious.

I suppose we have John Gott
Dave Hill
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical!
Dennis
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you like the comedy of Chris Elliott, then this is the book for you. It's an offbeat history of Chris' career so far.
Ashley
Apr 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. I didn't find it at all funny, just vaguely annoying. I thought I might like it as I find him funny in person but I don't think I laughed once.
Mr. Noah Sturdevant
The idea of a fictional autobiography is great.
Beth Newman
Not as absurdly endearing as 'Daddy's Boy', but certainly funny. I don't think Elliot's fans will be disappointed.
Casey
Nov 28, 2012
Shane
Dec 09, 2012
Betsy
rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Collared
  • McSweeney's #40
  • Fuzzy Memories
  • The 101 Habits Of Highly Successful Screenwriters: Insider's Secrets from Hollywood's Top Writers
  • The Onion Book of Known Knowledge: Mankind's Final Encyclopedia From America's Finest News Source
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • King of the Night: The Life of Johnny Carson
  • The Loom of Ruin
  • Uprising: How Wisconsin Renewed the Politics of Protest, from Madison to Wall Street
  • Who Owns Antiquity?: Museums and the Battle Over Our Ancient Heritage
  • When We Were Executioners (Dogsland, #2)
  • Woody Allen: Interviews

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99