Start by marking “A Child's Book of Poems” as Want to Read:
A Child's Book of Poems

A Child's Book of Poems

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  325 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
William Blake, Kate Greenaway, Emily Dickinson: the writers in this charming anthology of 200 poems—first published in 1969—are among literature’s most beloved. And Gyo Fujikawa’s appealing illustrations depict children of all races sweetly interacting, as well as an engagingly rendered menagerie of animals and the natural world in all its wonderment. Among the verses that ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Sterling (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about A Child's Book of Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Child's Book of Poems

Elizabethe
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
The best edition of "children's" poetry, period. Gorgeous drawings, Rich beautiful poetry wonderfully illustrated, that doesn't assume children must be pandered to. Longfellow, Wordsworth, Tennyson, Dickinson.. A introduction to whet a child's appetite for a lifetime filled with poetry, poets, beautiful language, and rich ideas.

This will now be my go-to baby shower gift.
Jennifer Olsker
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of over ninety poems is a true and classic example of children's poetry. While some may think of the word classic as boring and dry poetry, this collection is just the opposite. it contains many types of poems varying in length style and the overall message. After reading a number of selections, I believe that students or young children would be able to decipher the different texts to find deeper meaning, even though they were meant for a younger age group. Some of the poems incl ...more
ABC
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, the illustrations are wonderful. They are from the late 1960's and have a vintage feel--yet they are multi-cultural. They are sooooo cute. Usually one page spread will be in color, the next in black and white, and this alternates in the same pattern throughout the book.

Second, the poems are great, too. They are for children, but not the funny Shel Silverstein type. Rather, they are old-fashioned sorts of poems. Lots of Lord Alfred Tennyson, Robert Louis Stevenson, but tons of other famous
Rebecca Ray
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
During the last part of Ambleside Online Year 1, the poetry book called for was to choose from either A Child's Book of Poems or the Oxford Book of Poetry for Children. I chose A Child's Book of Poems primarily because it was simpler to find. The book itself is a quite lovely hardcover with lovely black and white and color illustrations. Here's what the children thought:

Ellie (age 6): Five stars! I loved it!

Connor (age 7): Four stars! It was pretty good. I liked the poems. (He had me put it on t
Sally
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eye-candy
Saw this at the thrift store, and it makes me so happy. I associate Fujikawa's illustrations with the innocence of childhood, and my beloved Golden Books.
Roger
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful artwork and some familiar and/or excellent poems. Also some duds and outdated language, which I guess could be educational if you stopped to look up the unfamiliar words.
Gillian Barto
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. None
2. First grade
3. This is a book full of poems from well-known authors. There are 200 poems total and the poems have their own illustrations to go along with them. The poems have diverse illustrations throughout the book.
4. I enjoyed reading this book and I can definitely see why these poems are much loved. Gyo did a great job at illustrating and making sure every child that reads this has a voice. The book uses a lot of natural elements.
5. Children can make their own poems that represent
Matti Davis

Title: A Child’s Book of Poems
Author: Gyo Fujikawa
Genre: Book of poems
Theme(s): Poetry
Opening line/sentence: Night: The sun descending in the west, the evening star does shine; the birds are silent in their nest, And I must seek for mine.
Brief Book Summary: This book is a collection of poems. It starts off with the Poem Night by William Blake and ends with Minnie and Winnie by Alfred Lord Tennyson. It’s illustrations are simple and go along with the poem.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1
Jordan
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a captivating collection of poems and illustrations. We will reread and reread it through the years, I'm sure.

My favorite poem:

The Day Is Done
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The day is done, and the darkness
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight.

I see the lights of the village
Gleam through the rain and the mist,
And a feeling of sadness comes o’er me,
That my soul cannot resist:

A feeling of sadness and longing,
That is not akin to pain,
An
MrsRoberts123
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is a beautiful book of classic poetry by many of the world's greatest poets. There are enchanting illustrations of nature and children of many nationalities. Some of the great poems in this anthology include "The Echoing Green" (by William Blake), which would provide a great opportunity for older elementary aged students to make inferences about the meaning of the language and symbolism in the poem. The message itself helps children connect to the concept of change; that there are different ...more
Tammy Emmert
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This book is loaded with wonderful cute and humorous poems, mostly rhyming. Most would appeal to any child, and most of the poems have a delightful picture or two.

Poem: The Grasshopper and the Elephant

Way down south where bananas grow,
A grasshopper stepped on an elephant’s toe.
The elephant said, with tears in his eyes,
“Pick on somebody your own size.”

Cheyenne
This a great example of classic poetry and combines so many things like different races, animals, and showcases some of the greatest poets of all time. I would have this available for students in my classroom library.
Marisa
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an old poetry collection full of classics. The illustrations are beautiful in both black and white and color. My two favorite poems from childhood by Eugene Fields are also in here- Wynken, Blynken, and Nod and The Sugarplum Tree.
Kaytee
Oct 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book was good. I liked all the different types of poems there were along with different pictures for each poem. There were a lot of poems that I could learn something from which I thought was fun and exciting.
Amy
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have fond memories of my grandmother and mother reading this book to me and I have read my old copy to my daughter many times. I absolutely love her illustrations and the poem selection is spectacular.
Anya
Wonderful collection of poems, delightful illustrations. My children absolutely love this book.
Raina
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent collection of poems for children. It's a favorite at our house! The pictures by Fujikawa are amazing. I love this book!
Amanda Medlin
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
I love the poems in this book. My only wish is that they were organized by seasons or that there was a seasonal index in the back of the book.
Marianne
Aug 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jr-non-fiction
Brings memories back of times I read these poems to my daughter and she read them to her little sister.
Lea Lea
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Best Children's poem book I have come across. The illustrations are beautiful yet childlike and the poems are a good mixture of classics and renowned authors
Haidi
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
My favorite collection of children's poems has been reprinted! This is what my friend's with kids are getting for Christmas.
Mayaluna
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has some real gems in it. The pictures are detailed and fantastical enough to keep my baby's attention and many of the poems are very wise and lyrical - entertaining for both baby and mom!
Kat
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful illustrations. I had thought I had read this book as a child, but realized that I hadn't, I'm glad I re-connected with this one.
Big Sky
lovely, fun to read aloud and share with a cup of tea..
Rangies3
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favorite bedtime book from childhood. I still have it, slightly tattered and scribbled in, on our shelf. Favorite poem was always "The Grasshopper and the Elephant."
Cariane
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations that go along with the poems. It's organized very well. This would be a good way to teach children phonics.
L campagnola
Great nature poems. Classics.
Brooke
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
Very nice book of poetry for children. My daughter loves it and we use it for school when she needs to learn a poem.
Courtney Clark
We read this collection super slowly over almost half a year. It was worth it. Lovely illustrations and a great selection of poems.
Deanna
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love the illustrations!
  • Poems and Prayers for the Very Young
  • A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children
  • The Random House Book of Poetry for Children
  • Winter Poems
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Buffalo Bill
  • The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook
  • Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)
  • The Happy Lion
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus
  • Poetry for Young People: Lewis Carroll
Gyo Fujikawa was an American illustrator and children's book author. A prolific creator of more than 50 books for children, her work is regularly in reprint and has been translated into 17 languages and published in 22 countries. Her most popular books, Babies and Baby Animals, have sold over 1.7 million copies in the U.S. Fujikawa is recognized for being the earliest mainstream illustrator of pic ...more
More about Gyo Fujikawa...