Start by marking “Still Life in Shadows” as Want to Read:

Still Life in Shadows

It’s been fourteen years since Gideon Miller ran away from his Amish community in Carlisle, Pennsylvania as a boy of sixteen.  Gideon arrives in the Smoky Mountains town of Twin Branches and settles in at the local auto mechanic's garage. He meets a host of interesting characters –the most recent acquaintances are Kiki, an autistic teen, and her sister Mari. Known as the " ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by River North (first published July 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Still Life in Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Life in Shadows

Start your review of Still Life in Shadows
Joleen
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Okay, THIS was a different Amish book...or maybe un-Amish book.
Gideon escaped his Amish life years before and is now known as the go to guy for Amish people who want to start a new life after leaving their faith. He has assimilated well into the Englisch life but never left his roots, or values or faith in God.
Good book. In fact, it's a very good book.
Deedra
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A different kind of Amish love story book.A man who left the Amish is now a saviour that helps them 'escape'.He lives in a town that has accepted him and hid kin.His personal struggles in his head and with family both, in and out of the church ,was a view we seldom get.Living in Amish country I really enjoyed it.David Bosco was a good narrator.His dialect could have been better.lolI was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.' ...more
Iola
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read Amish fiction by several authors and while it's well-written, I don't find I enjoy it. The heroines are generally immature, and it feels to me as though the novels romanticise the lifestyle, in the same way as Pretty Woman romanticised prostitution. I'm wary of any religious community that values conformity to the rule of an individual over belief in and obedience to God.

Still Life in Shadows isn't the typical Amish story. Gideon Miller ran away from his Amish family at the age of fif
Corina
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a quiet little story that leaves us with big questions to ponder. The characters are ordinary people – the kind you might know or run into during the course of your day. They’re well written, likable, and imperfect. It’s those imperfections that allow us to identify with them and like them and root for them and cry with them and for them.

Realistically written, it’s the story of Gideon who left his Amish life at the age of 15 and made his way to rural North Carolina where he makes a life
Natalie
This was nice. I love the characters. The plot is good. It's definitely a different look at the Amish. Everyone can relate to running away or want to do that. ...more
Rhonda Elfstrand
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
The story was interesting, but I kept stumbling every time she referred to the girl as autistic. Didn't seem well researched for autistic behavior, perhaps Down Syndrome, but not autistic. ...more
Raquel Odea
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gideon Miller doesn't have a lot of answers to life hard questions. But one thing he's absolutely sure about, is that the Amish life is not for him. Fifteen years after leaving home, he works at an auto shop and helps many young people make the transition from being Amish to the real world. Wanting to get them away from the strict lifestyle and potentially bad home situations, Gideon does everything in his power to get them on their feet.

When a autistic teenager come to the shop looking for work
Connie
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice Wisler’s Still Life in Shadows

Alice Wisler’s Still Life in Shadows gives a different view of the Amish than most popular Amish books. The aspect of rules and religion which can lead to either harsh and even abusive leadership and parenting or, in contrast, rebellion in children raised under such a system ...... demonstrates why Jesus became most angry at religious leaders who so misrepresented Father God. The most religious people in our world can often be the most cruel and bring terribl
Christian
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
*My review is for the audiobook format*

I'm a regular customer of the post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, and crime genres, so 'Still Life' was a real change of pace for me. To be brief, it's a slowly-paced, simple and sweet little story with a lot of heart.

I found minor issues with how the characters and plot were written, and with the wavering point-of-view, but I tried not to let that detract from what I felt the author was ultimately trying to convey. This story addressed some themes common to us all,
Karla Goforth Abreu
Soothing to read

The story is sweet and simple: forgiveness, redemption, grace, love. Gideon has left the legalistic religious culture of the Amish, and basically resents anything dealing with God. Through an encounter with a high functioning autistic young teen, he begins to perceive life with a sense of the grace that he is actually living in. This does not come easily for him and there are severe situations he will encounter on his journey to wholeness. The irony is that while he is searching
Elissa
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith and Hope

Narrator David Bosco has a warm quality to voice as he tells a story--and quite a range of accents on which to draw as, here, he introduces us to the Pennsylvania Dutch while in the midst of the North Carolina mountains. While disaffection with the rigidity of 18th century mores and lifestyle of the Amish is not uncommon, the sect continues to grow--as with any strict belief system there are plusses and minuses which can be enhanced or exacerbated by the personalities of those in
Victoria Haugen
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story about Amish life, and leaving it behind to start a new life outside of the Amish world.
Sometimes you can run, but your problems always have the nasty habit of finding you and settling in....

Gideon, after starting a new life away from his Amish Community in Pennsylvania, meets a teenage girl named Kiki. She's different. She and her sister, Mari have challenges of their own.

Great characters, moving and compelling story, and wonderful narration. I really really enjoyed it :)
Giv
Ken Grater
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still life in shadows

"Still Life in Shadows" was a very good book that I enjoyed a lot. It was interesting, and heart breaking reading about how Gideon deals his troubled young life in a very strict Amish family and how even his successful life after escaping the Amish community is scarred by his past. A young autistic girl slowly leads him to a better place with her honest, bold attitude towards life. Her older, cute, God loving sister helps him move on from his past also. The story has a few t
April
Alice J. Wisler

This novel seems to be more of an escaping the Amish book instead of one that focuses on the life inside the Amish. Gideon Miller ran away fifteen years earlier at the age of fifteen. After settling into the English life, he helps other young Amish escape their lives. He meets new friends Kiki and Mari that help him see things from a different prospective, and to learn forgiveness. There are many twists that help the story progress......slowly.

The narration w
Ellen White
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely different then other Amish books. Gideon left his Amish Roots and God when he left the community. Thinking only if he stayed could he believe in God. Then you have Kiki a special need girl, who with her puppet in hand she communicates her feelings.She is a wiz on her bike, in which is what led her to George’s garage. They both were unique and the author in the third person, brought their lives out in a story.
NanaShauna Joesten
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Fantastic read that pulled me in right from the beginning. I love stories that are intriguing and this one is definitely that. There are twists and turns that surprised me which I love. If you love intriguing stories that have fantastic world building this is definitely that. The Narrator does a fantastic job at bringing out the voices of the characters. I definitely recommend this read.
Shauna Joesten
Lynda
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish, mystery
Told from the outside-in. A man who left his Amish home before he was in Rumspringa. An autistic barely a teen girl. Her older sister. And a mystery that holds from beginning to end. Enjoyed this book tremendously. It's one that I had to make myself turn-off-your-Kindle-you-have-work-to-do. I highly recommend this book. ...more
Mary Payne
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still Life in Shadows

I loved this book from beginning to end. It was amusing, emotional and full of life's experiences. It gives the horrors of drug addiction especially in others at the same time the love that is in families. It also shows us how we all need God in our lives to help us when times gets bad.
Martin Wiles
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Page Turner

If you you are looking for a little romance, a little history, a little mystery, and a lot of forgiveness, then this book is for you. The author does a wonderful job of weaving all four together, making the reader fall in love with an autistic little girl in the process.
Marsha W. Ronquist
Surprisingly wonderful

I am not sure what I expected when I bought this book. Maybe a typical love story. That it clearly is not. It is a character study, a look at people people and how they respond to both the negative and positive things that touch their lives. Several persons of differing backgrounds and cultures are all part of this wonderful story.
Sandy
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And they were led by an autistic teen

My first book by the author and it's a WOW. Well written with fully developed characters it shows the importance of family. Through difficult circumstances and tragedy strangers became a loving and supportive family. Definitely not your typical Amish story but so worth reading.
teresa
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amish book at it's best

This is a top ten book in the Amish genre. Leaving the close knit community to live "English" brings unique struggles in lifestyle and emotions. I loved the truthful look at the good and bad in this situation. Just a superb book.
Robin
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a sightly difficult book to read. The writing was good but the subject matter was different. An ex-Amish man who helps others leave their communities and an autistic girl trying to get along. When they meet, what a change each one goes through.
Nancy Griggs
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I am used to Alice's Japanese books and this was a good departure. Great insight on leaving Amish backgrounds. ...more
Sherron L Pace
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In his shadow

Would he live in his fathers' shadow eventually becoming like him. Or forgive and become his own person. Would he become a good role model?
Melissa Herman
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!!! Tissues needed.
Julie Malcolm
A book that highlights the powerful grip our upbringings have on us.
Barb
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Gideon escaped his Amish life years before and is now known as the go to guy for Amish people who want to start a new life after leaving their faith.
rebecca cox
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

So well written. I hated to put it down. God's grace and forgiveness was beautifully shown in the life of Gideon.
Jennifer Hallmark
Another Great Book by Alice

Still Life in Shadows is another great book by Alice J. Wisler. I hadn't read this one until now because Amish isn't my favorite genre. But she combines both worlds with a wonderful plot and realistic characters. Another winner...
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 18, 2015 06:15PM

• Leaving Lancaster (Legacy of Lancaster, #1)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • An Accident from Heaven
  • The Heart of a Child
  • Which Way Home? (Hester’s Hunt for Home, #2)
  • The Warrior
  • The Orphan Daughter of Lupin lane: A Historical Victorian Romance
  • Lizzie and Emma (Buggy Spoke #2)
  • Heart of a Cowboy
  • All That I Dread: A K-9 Search and Rescue Story
  • Fire and Ash
  • Let Your Heart Beat Again (A Breath Without Life, #1)
  • Coming Home (The Route Home #1)
  • A Secret of the Heart (Amish Secrets #3)
  • The Dawn Wakers (Westward Wanderers, #2)
  • Your Heart For Mine (Taking Chances Book 0)
  • A Blessing in the Virus
  • Her Cowboy Billionaire Birthday Wish (Christmas in Coral Canyon #9)
* Born in Osaka, Japan and lived in Japan for 18 years
* Went to Kyoto International School and Canadian Academy
* Majored in Social Work and graduated in 1983 from Eastern Mennonite University
* Worked at a group home for disadvantaged kids outside of Philadelphia
* Taught English and Culture Orientation at a refugee camp in the Philippines