Start by marking “Captured Heart (Highland Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Captured Heart (Highland Hearts, #1)

Captured Heart

(Highland Hearts #1)

Fleeing with only her bow, horse, enormous pet wolf, and the cryptic clues hidden in her mother’s medicine journal, healer Meg Boswell gallops north towards freedom, running from the man who falsely accused her mother of witchcraft. Cursed with magical healing abilities, Meg knows that if she’s captured, she will die like her mother—atop a blazing witch’s pyre.

Winter wind
Published September 11th 2012 by Entangled Select (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Captured Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captured Heart

Lover of Romance
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

Captured Heart is the second book in the series, or technically the first book....but there is a book before this book that is a #0.5??....so yeah I will call this book two in the series. I have been ITCHING to read this author and I finally grabbed up this one since I found it on the audible romance package, and WOW what a great book. I was swept up in the story so quickly and the narrator was awesomesauce peeps. Like, I want to look at al
Kari Kaz
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Captured Heart is a Scottish romance with bits of paranormal and a lot of action.

The heroine, Meg Boswell, is fleeing England from the man who wrongly accused her mother of witchcraft and had her burned at a witch’s pyre. She rides to Scotland seeking to reach her aunt’s home in Scotland, accompanied by her pet wolf, her mother’s healing journal, and her bow & arrow. On the way there, she meets a group of highlanders battling English soldiers. During the scuffle, she saves the life of a man
-S♡
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
★4 Stars! Captured Heart...
Erika
Overall, this was a very enjoyable read. The hero, Caden, was a noble, protective, sexy guy. The heroine, Meg, was sweet, kind, strong and persevering. There are only a couple of negatives I can think of:

(1) the main conflict results from the lovers not sharing important information and feelings with each other; sometimes that can be frustrating
(2) the climactic action at the end went on too long -- it became boring. (view spoiler)
Jonetta
I love a good Scottish Highlander story and this one didn’t disappoint. Meg Boswell is on the run because her father is on his way home to have her “examined” to see if she’s a witch. Meg’s a healer with some added magical abilities and she doesn’t want to meet the same fate as her mother. She’s headed for Scotland to find and stay with her aunt, her mother’s sister, but as she nears the border, Meg comes upon a skirmish between some Highlanders and English soldiers. She unwittingly saves the Ma ...more
Aisha
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't like this book. I don't like Caden. This is one of Heather McCollum's lesser books.
Caden lies to her for so long. He is like, I will tell her tomorrow, and postpones it until Meg finds out through Caden's sister, not him. She is betrayed, but forgives him too fast and willingly. I do like Meg, but I did not like that she forgave him so easily.
I don't like Caden. He disrespected Meg's uncle Alec, Meg's uncle and laird of MacInnes. He forced the peace, was not respectful at all.
THis bo
Mei
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
A solid highlander romance.

I liked Caden and Meg. They're endearing characters.
The romance was good and the action too.

The reason for 4 stars is that I had a feeling that I had already read this story somewhere... It was very similar to other highlander romance stories...
Jess the Romanceaholic
Really enjoyable -- it's been a long time since I've read a Scottish kidnapping romance, but this book reminded me why I love that trope so much.

Full review to follow, but for now, 4.5/5
Esther Soto
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just what I needed. Loved it! ❤
Sandra
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves historical romances
Meg Boswell is riding her horse towards the Scottish border with only her bow and arrows and her pet wolf Nickum as protection. She's running from her father whom she hasn't seen in years, not since he accused her mother of witchcraft and had her burned at the stake.

Meg knows she is different, and she also knows that the only reason her father is now writing to her is so she too can be tested for witchcraft. Her mother's sister is married to the Laird of Clan Munro in Scotland so that's where M
Jess-the-MOOD-reader
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kind of loved this!!!
Debra Taylor
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Every now & again I stumble across a story that is simply a joy to read. Captured Hearts was one of those rare stories.
Meg is fleeing to Scotland to escape charges of witchcraft. She is running from the same man who had her mother put to the fire for witchcraft. Sadly that man is Meg's own father. Hmm.... well, maybe.
She crosses paths with Caden who has come to England on a secret mission. Driven by duty to his clan Caden has sworn to end the feud that threatens to annihalate his people. H
Barbara Rauch
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story wraps loyalty, betrayal, treason, kidnapping, romance, witches, history and those magnificent Highland warriors all into one glorious read. I could simply not put it down and read it in one sitting. This is the third book by Heather McCollum that I've read and I must say I will keep reading her books as long as she keeps writing them !
Shauni
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Finding new authors to share with you all is one of the joys of Tea and Book. As you know, Tea and Book was set up for just this reason, to share exciting reads from new authors. I know there are always authors to be discovered but it is such a high when we find on that is jut amazing. I was thrilled when Netgalley sent me Captured Heart. I was prepared to like it on the premise alone.. Sexy Highlanders, Magic, A Damsel in Distress, A mysterious secret and oh yeah did I mention Sexy Highlanders? ...more
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A sweet Scottish Romance with just a hint of paranormal.

This is the story of Caden MacBain, chief of clan MacBain, and Meg Boswell, niece to the MacBain's fiercest enemy, the Munro's. It's just barely a Historical-Paranormal, although really the paranormal aspect was very small and limited to only one main character. I found it to be a really sweet and sexy story and I will definitely be reading more from this new (to me) author.

It was also quite a quick read; I probably could have happily rea
Tina "IRead2Escape"
Captured Heart by Heather McCollum is a wonderful addition to the many Highlander books that I love. In this particular sub genre you can either go for gold or be really cheesy. This book is definitely gold.

Running for her life Meg Boswell has to get to her aunt in the Northern Highlands. Her mother was burnt as a witch and Meg has every reason to believe that she is about to suffer the same fate. She can only hope that she will make it there safely and will be welcomed as she’s never met her m
TheGeekyBlogger
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read for Review (NetGalley)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.50

First Thought when finished: Captured Heart was a fantastic historical romance that made me swoon several times. I think all historicals should make you do that at least once :)

Quick Thoughts: Captured Heart is probably my 2nd favorite historical read this year. It contained all the elements I love: strong man, stronger woman, great setting, evil villain, swoon-worthy moments, strong family, and a touch of mag
Alexandria
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Part way through reading this book I was ready for it to end. It increasing became a slow and painful torture; like a cavity that keeps getting worse.

I thought the fictional quality of this historical read would make it more interesting, but was sadly mistaken. After so long it just became too typical and predictable. I let out a sigh of relief when it was finally over. 2 stars.
Carolyn
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mccollum-heather
This was my first book written by Heather McCollum. I would definitely purchase another book by this author!
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
What is it About:
Meg escapes England as her murderous father finally comes for her. He had her mother killed for witchcraft and wants to do the same to her. As she flees, she runs into a battle and helps a Scottish warrior. The warrior is heading to the area in Scotland that she wishes to go to so she tags along.
Caden is the Chief of his own Highland Clan. He went to England for his own mission and ended up with Meg falling into his lap. He plans to use Meg to forge peace between his clan and an
Nessa
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I STARTED OFF THE FIRST 11 CHAPTERS WITH AUDIO BOOK, THEN SWITCHED THE REST TO PLAIN OL'READING. I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS INFLUENCED BY THE AUDIO BOOK NARRATION WHICH I SO ABHOR BUT I DIDN'T FEEL CONNECTED WITH THIS STORY.

3 STARS FOR THE OVERALL EFFORT AND THE AVERAGE PLOT.

OUR HERO is responsible for saving his clans' lives especially when the feud between the Munro and the MacBaids have caused starvation to sweep across his own people. In order to force Peace, he plans to kidnap the
Betty Lambert
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was good. I do like highland tales. This is about Meg Boswell, who is running away to the north to freedom from her father. Her father thinks she is a witch and wants her to be cleansed from the healing ability. She is a healer. Her father falsely accused her mother of being a witch and had her burned at the stake. There was no way she was going to go through that. Along the way she meets up with Caden Macbain who is laird of his clan. Caden wants peace and thinks the only way to get i ...more
Clarice
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meg Boswell is running from a man that has falsely accused and had her mother burned as a witch. Caden Macbain is desperate to save his clan. He is not above using an innocent woman in the bargain. These two strong persons will meet. Can Caden still use Meg for the all of the clan needs, even when she kills a man to save them all?
gail devereaux
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Adventure

This is my fourth Heather McCollum novel and have enjoyed everyone of her novels. Exciting, descriptive and so much fun to read. Starting my second of this series within minutes.
Amy
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and the author's writing. So much passion, danger, traitors and secrets. Plus I'm a sucker for any heroine who has magical powers, feistiness and a pet wolf!

Caden was a wonderful leader and alpha male who was also sweet and caring.
Judith Sherrod
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This deserves another star.

A little witchcraft, a long feud, a treasonous father, a book of healings, a warrior laird and a runaway lady, unite to make this a really good one. Oh, I almost forgot. The lady's pet wolf..
Adriana
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Slightly predictable yet still rather enjoyable.
Leading lady Meg has a bit of trouble making up her mind between a strong personality and being a pushover, but her leading man more than makes up for it. Extra props as well for a wonderfully nefarious villain.
Kris Loveid
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
who can resist the cover? it screams intelligent dialogue and potential for sex in front of a fire, on the ground, against the wall, …..
Florence Gloshen
A Great Novel

This a great story and worth the time to read it . I recommended this book you will have a hard time putting it down I loved it
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • Highlander Claimed (Clan Mackenzie, #1)
  • Unwanted (The MacLauchlans, #3)
  • Taming the Wild Highlander (The Highlanders, #4)
  • The Queen's Lady (Graham, #7)
  • The Overlord's Bride (Warrior, #13)
  • Highland Promise (Sisters by Choice, #2)
  • The De Burgh Bride (de Burgh, #2)
  • Temptation in a Kilt (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #1)
  • Wed to a Highland Warrior (The Warrior King, #4)
  • My Brave Highlander (Highland Adventure #3)
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • Motor City Mage (Urban Arcana  #4)
  • Rush of Pleasure (Primal Instinct, #8)
  • Wee William's Woman (Clan MacDougall, #3)
  • The Bedeviled Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #2)
  • Keeping Paige (Divinity Warriors, #3)
  • Dream of Me (Viking & Saxon #1)
Heather McCollum is an award winning, historical and YA paranormal romance writer. She earned her B.A. in Biology, much to her English professor’s dismay, and was a 2009 Golden Heart Finalist.

When she is not picking her teen’s brain for authentic attitude for her YA books and finding time to write, she is usually found educating women on ovarian cancer symptoms. Ms. McCollum has recently slayed t

Highland Hearts (5 books)
  • Highland Heart (Highland Hearts, #0.5)
  • Tangled Hearts (Highland Hearts, #2)
  • Untamed Hearts (Highland Hearts, #2.5)
  • Crimson Heart (Highland Hearts, #3)