Start by marking “America, but Better: The Canada Party Manifesto” as Want to Read:
America, but Better: The Canada Party Manifesto

America, but Better: The Canada Party Manifesto

As the American election increasingly resembles a production of CATS performed by actual cats, U.S. citizens are looking for a new leader. That leader is Canada, and they want your vote for president of the United States.

Since launching their video campaign in January, the Canada Party has gone viral, with almost a million hits on YouTube and coverage ranging f
Published July 6th 2012 by Douglas McIntyre (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about America, but Better, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America, but Better

University of Chicago Magazine
Chris Cannon, AM'03
Author

From our pages (Sept–Oct/12): "The Canada Party, comprised of Brian Calvert and Chris Cannon, has announced its candidacy for president of the United States. Based on the duo's viral video campaign launched this past January, the satirical party's book balances the doctrine of American exceptionalism with Canadian humility and common sense to position Canada as the new leader of the free world, by proxy. Among its promises: the phrase 'job creators' wil
Heather
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surely you saw the Canada Party's YouTube video! If not, go watch it now! It was released in January 2012, and little did I realize that it was actually a book trailer for the upcoming America, But Better: The Canada Party Manifesto. How exciting! The basic premise of the book is, the US is doing a poor job of governing itself so our "continental BFF" to the north is going to help us out. This book outlines a new approach to US politics provided by our Canuck cousins.

Of course, the manifesto is grea
Scotchneat
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadia, humour
The Canada Party had a brilliant idea - with America looking for a new leader, why not elect CANADA?

Some great ideas for change in the manifesto as well - like one gay couple gets to marry for every straight couple that divorces. Or America can continue to consider corporations as people, but if it can't provide a birth certificate, it'll be considered an illegal immigrant.

At times biting, but always on the money, the manifesto was a good chuckle and a think. Probably a great way to
J.S. Graustein
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, humor, humour
I enjoyed this light read because it helped me laugh in the face of all the political mudslinging going on right now. Some points I agreed with, others not so much. But that wasn't really the point. It was refreshing to read something from an international point of view that kept me from taking myself too seriously.
Kim Behnke
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
America, But Better offers serious political criticism wrapped in a cloak of humor (to take the edge off). After watching the first presidential debate last night I wish I could really vote for these guys! This is definitely worth a read, especially if you enjoy tongue-in-cheek humor like Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert.
Vedrana
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was as hilarious as it was accurate in its portrayals of both Canada and the United States; it poked fun at our shortcomings and stereotypes while providing a useful (albeit simplified) look into the countries' politics and relationship.
C.G.
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is funny - laugh out loud in some places - and yet it has a number of kernels of truth to it. It's a fast read and the right time for a lot of their points, of course, but I'm afraid they are probably mostly preaching to the converted.
Deleva
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was very well written and positively HILARIOUS. The funny thing is, even though it's technically a parody-type book, I would totally vote for a candidate if this was his platform! LOL!
Kristen
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-non-fiction
This is an absolutely hilarious book! Everyone in both American AND Canada should read it it you like to laugh.

The book is a light-hearted, tongue-firmly-in-cheek offer for Canada to take on the Presidency of the United States to save America from itself. The bonus of this book is that the authors make at least as much - if not more! - fun of the stupid stuff in Canada, as they do of the U.S.

A couple of my fave passages:

"Making English the offical language for
Kkharvey
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 Stars
I picked this book up, because I was in the mood for something light, and a change from my fictional narratives. I’ve also been an avid follower of the Canada Party on youtube, and they’re just great. It’s fun, and frivolous, and as a Canadian, it makes you feel a little bit smug.
It keeps things rather simplified, but that is appropriate for the purpose of the piece. It’s well written, and thoroughly enjoyable.
I’d have liked it to be a little bit longer. It was a bit
May
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
It gets a 3 for premise but a 1 for execution, resulting in the 2 star rating. Humour is so hard to judge and while this book tries to make the argument that the Canada Party would be great for America, I think the writing and rationale behind some of the themes are a little too satirical to follow. Instead of using the standard tropes or commonly-held perceptions about Canada, it might be nice to focus on some of Canada's lesser know facts or so-called "advantages" (if we had any!). Sometimes I ...more
Nick Borkowski
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: satire
The wonderful thing about this book, is that in addition to having some incredible satire, it paints a picture of what the U.S. might look like if it was ruled by common sense instead of lust for power. It's an incredibly hilarious and thought provoking little piece.
The chapter the made me laugh at loud as soon as I saw it was probably Weed. Sweet, sweet weed. Is that enough incentive for you to read this?
Marissa
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bitingly sarcastic, hilarious, and accurate. Some of my favorite suggestions from the Canada Party (that's right, the whole country is running for US President) include allowing one gay marriage per traditional marriage divorce, pundits can't call themselves "journalists", and if a corporation is a person, they must provide a birth certificate or be deported/work on your lawn.
Dominique
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Surprisingly observant of both America's and Canada's shortcomings, it is able to avoid devolving into simple America bashing. The book works best when it doesn't overdue the comedy, a balance it seldom masters, leaving it only funny at times.
Keith Weir
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
A hilarious book, with truth scattered throughout. Well worth a read if you enjoy humour like Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart.
Vickie T
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Can Canada invade us please? Funny look at the US. A little dated (2012). Perhaps they will update it to reflect our situation now
Cyberpope
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Funny ideas on how Canada could run USA best
Bruce Reiter
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
a quick read that posits canada as our president and covers about every cliche concerning our two countries that exist. worth the effort if you need some humor. some coarse language.
Gemini
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is pretty damn funny. I didn't know what to expect but I kept reading & kept laughing. Good stuff. Definitely need more of this.
Aparna
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much of the book is generic America-bashing instead of humor about the positives that could be brought to the US by adopting Canadian principles.
Vicki
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
A humorous look at the US by Canada.
Katie
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 stars and only halfway through!
Jennine (Cheska)
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bless this book. Hilarious and yet gave amazing insights at the same time!
Scott
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very funny but also dead on in its description of the problems confronting the good old USA.
Michelle
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was okay. It's hard to read anything that's written sarcastically for long stretches but overall the book was funny with some fair points.
Rachelle
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
hilarious! and quite clever.
Susan O'brien
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hilarious and quick. Wished that I had read this last fall when the campaigning was becoming more painful by the day. I wanna be a member of The Canada Party!
Chrystal
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smart, witty, a delightfully fun read.
Whether you live in Canada or USA, you'll smile and chuckle with each page.
Scott Ash
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny! A unique look at the United States from the civilized side of the 49th Parallel.
Jacynthe Hinderyckx
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A humorous and light read over a quick road trip. Loved the jokes!
Stereotyping 1 6 Dec 12, 2012 01:46PM