Start by marking “The Brothers Grimm: 101 Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
The Brothers Grimm: 101 Fairy Tales

The Brothers Grimm: 101 Fairy Tales

No home library is complete without the classics! This new collection of stories from Brothers Grimm: 101 Fairy Tales is a keepsake to be read and treasured.

They are the stories of characters we’ve known since childhood: Snow White, Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella. But the works originally collected by the Brothers Grimm in the early 1800s are not necessarily the versions to
Published September 1st 2012 by Canterbury Classics (first published 1812)

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers Grimm, please sign up.

Start your review of The Brothers Grimm: 101 Fairy Tales

And my ponder is about the origins of the term "Grim". Does it come from the writer's name of the formulaic Grimm fairytales? Or did the brothers change their name for the purposes of writing such stories? Or is it just a happy coincidence?

Grimm fairytales are very bleak for anyone who is anything but perfect..... the punishment for greed, ambition and sheer stupidity are mainly the same: Death or torture? which will it be?

These aren't your Mother Goose variety fairytales, Ladies and Gents!

It
Yigal Zur
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
classic.
Emrys
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I already had a copy of the Grimm fairy tales but I specifically bought this copy because of the gorgeous leather bound edition with the crisp and beautifully printed pages. For a collector such as myself, it was imperative that I snatch it up immediately!
Mariana
Sep 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
2. Cat and Mouse in partnership - (2.75) 3⭐ "And that is the way of the world", "Nothing ever seems so good as what one keeps to oneself".

3. Our Lady's Child - 2⭐ meh, it was okay. If you admit your wrongdoings and ask for forgiveness, you'll be forgiven. "He who repents his sin and acknowledges it, is forgiven."

5. The Wolf and The Seven Little Kids - 3⭐ moral of the story: karma is a bitch and it will catch you. You'll get what you deserve someday.

8. The Wonderful Musician - 1⭐ no, wtf was goi
H.D.A. Pratt
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simple yet classic stories that are perfect lessons for anyone to read
Nadia's Library
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'll forever remain a Grimm-fan. The stories within them holds (to me) more truth than today's watered-down, nothing-can-go-wrong fairy tales. Stories for children should hold within them elements of truth, lessons to be learned, and in a way prepare them for the world. Rearing children with stories where everything always turns out well is not healthy and borne from it unrealistic expectations of what life is and inevitably will result. The results of it is clear enough today: adults moaning an ...more
Grace
Jan 31, 2021 rated it liked it
I don't have too much to say about this book. It was really great getting to read a lot of the original fairytales that inspired some of the Disney movies we know and love today. It was also gruesome at times. Dark at other times. Aggravating too. But also interesting as well-liked some stories more than others but that's how it goes with these types of books.

I really don't have much more to say.
Aabis
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many of em were boring. However, really enjoyed the classics. Also, the cover!!!!!
Patrixia Lansangan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
It was okay. Some of them were a little boring but the classics were really good 😊😊
Sheila Ainsworth
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book I particularly read "Fairy Gifts" by The Brothers Grimm. This story was clearly a fairy tale not only by telling from the title but what happens in the story as well. There is usually three problems or situations that the character has to go threw in order to find their happy ending. This is exactly what happened in "Fairy Gifts". The main character, Sylvia, was sent to three different castles where the princesses had earlier received gifts from the fairy. These gifts are something ...more
T. Renee
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
No. That's all I can think of when it comes to this book, just... No. I was so pumped to read it and then wonk. wonk, wonk. These stories were so... so, I don't even know but I laughed at a lot of them. A lot of them were set up to be great and then just nothing, no point, no moral lesson-- let me tell you the cat not only eats all the food but he eats the mouse too. There's no underdog, no captivating fight. It was all this 'Once upon a time, there lived-- and then they died.' I've never given ...more
Victoria Marshall
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first came across Brothers Grimm when I was 10 years old. Imagine my delight as Cinderella's glass slippers melted on her feet. I was never a girly girl and much prefered the wicked witch over the princess any day. I love the darkside and without the brothers Grimm we would not have the tales we have today. When I was a kid in the 80's kids TV and film was terrifying and you know what? Fun. Now everything is sugar coated and the pretty princess is perfect and so is the prince-bleurgh. The brot ...more
Christine Treasure
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's always hard to rate a book of short stories - some you like, some you don't - but it was great to read the origins of a lot of the well-known fairy tales and how different they were at the beginning. I'm also giving this version 5 stars because it is an absolutely beautiful copy! Love the leather cover, the paper ends, typography, the page paper...basically everything about it! I can't wait to get some more classics in these editions! ...more
Veraa
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Didnt finish the last few stories because it bored me. A lot of the stories i didnt get and were just weird. But the others i did enjoy. Im glad i have this fabulous copy but i expected it to be much more fun :/
Lindsay Lewis
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
The longest 400+ pages everrr...
melhara
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A collection of 101 of short stories/fairytales which are about 4 pages in length. Although the classics were quite enjoyable to read (such as #12. Rapunzel, #15. Hansel and Gretal, #21. Cinderella, #26. Little Red Cap, #50. The Sleeping Beauty (Briar Rose), #53. The Sleeping Beauty, and #55. Rumpelstiltskin), I found many of stories to be quite repetitive (variations of the same tale). Even so, there were a few obscure (and kind of dark) fairytales in here that I really enjoyed, such as:

#6. Fai
Emily Gagliardi
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've really enjoyed this book. Some of the stories i already knew due to the fact of taking a fairy tale class in college. i loved them then and i do now too. However, i was having hard time finishing the book. I'm not sure why.

I started reading this book because it was something that i was reading to my mother who is blind but since everything is on lockdown i'm not allowed to leave my house (due to the COVID-19) to go visit my mom since she lives in an old folks home. So i have a couple of sto
Pat
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Note: my version of this book is not paperback (though the cover is flexible.)

I bought this book several years ago (because I have always liked fairly tales) and have read a tale or two at night before sleep. These tales are decidedly NOT Disney-esque in nature, as have been many of the fairy tales of my past. When the Virgin Mary showed up in an early tale, I was pretty astonished. Subsequently, the Lord and the Devil have made many appearances also.

There were times when I stopped and looked up
Clarissa
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a long read but I did it and I got through. Some of the stories you know like Snow White and Rapunzel. They are a little different from the Disney versions of course but mostly with the happy endings still. There is a theme with the stories, usually a beautiful princess and a happily ever after, and a lot of death lol. There is also a lot of religion in the stories which I didn't know before.
They were interesting but some I was like "wtf?" and didn't understand the meaning. Worth the r
Nahomy Verdugo
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I took my time reading it.
I review everysingle one of the tales, some i liked a lot, and the ones i didn't so much were because they were almost identical to a different tale, but with different caracters, but it is a really nice compilation, totally worth reading. Was beautiful to knos the darl reality of all those fairytails.
Rachel Coley
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is a great book for all types of people and age!!!
Witch I think is awsome! I also think that if you don't have the book that you should get it because I think it's just awesome to be able to pick up the book and read it because every time I am upset this book calms me down and that's great in my opinion so please read the book it's awsom!!!!!!!!!!
Don
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not the fairy tales with the happy endings that you were told as a child. Not all have a good over evil moral. Just folk tales from darker times with a darker feel. Some repetitive portions used in tales, which is the only reason I gave it four instead of five stars. Well worth the read.
Samra
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is where the fluffy versions of Disney Tales will change your life, forever. True, Disney is becoming more in touch with reality about diversity, removing false gender stereotypes. Where true love can be in other ways.

Some endings are very gruesome, please advise for the faint-hearted.
Dana
Jun 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is one of those books where it seems like a really cool and cute idea to read. oh my goodness, I could not get through these at all. It's a book better left unread and just simply imagine it's possible greatness. ...more
Jayant Kashyap
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
Now, although some parts of several of these tales are quite repetitive, having read them around twelve years after I should have read already feels like a missing part of a puzzle now put in place: ‘childhood reclaimed’.
Abi
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I’m a big fan of fairytales (and fairytale adjacent works, like folktales and mythology). I think they’re an interesting window into culture, history, and human nature. They’re also, very often, fun to read. I also think both those things are true of the Grimm Brothers’ collection. Not only do you get a chance to see the absolutely bonkers stories people were telling back in the 19th century, but you can enjoy yourself while doing it. Read the full review here ...more
Reba
Nov 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Obviously this was written more for its time... There were quite a few iffy moments towards women, which was expected. Still, there are a few hidden gems. I enjoyed the experience of reading this whole thing, and the copy was beautiful.
madi
Mar 15, 2021 rated it liked it
I liked most of the short stories in this book because of how dark and twisted they were. Some of these stories had very original and creative ideas, yet most of them had the exact same ideas or morals as the others.
Amira Mohamed Taifoor
For nostalgia's sake, other than that, nothing gripping or surprising. ...more
Cookie Pup
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great was to review fairy tales.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Age Matters - Season 1
  • UnOrdinary, Season 1
  • Siren's Lament, Season 2
  • Cursed Princess Club, Season 1
  • I Love Yoo [Episodes 1-12]
  • Siren's Lament, Season 1
  • The Pedestrian: A Fantasy in One Act
  • Through the Moon (The Dragon Prince Graphic Novel #1)
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • Castle Swimmer
  • The Stylist
  • Girl Unknown
  • How to Be Idle
  • The Landlady
  • Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)