Start by marking “Unspoken (The MacLauchlans, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unspoken (The MacLauchlans, #1)

Unspoken (Highland Historical #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,200 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
He's cursed with eternal silence...

Roderick MacLauchlan is death for hire. Blessed by an ancient Deity with Berserker rage, he has the strength of ten men. Cursed by a malicious enemy, he's incapable of speech. A desperate clan war rages around him and a malevolent adversary lurks in the darkness, calling for blood.

Evelyn Woodhouse is an English refugee with a dangerous se
Published March 24th 2012 by N Ainge

To ask other readers questions about Unspoken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unspoken

Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts)
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was just great, it was both deep and meaningful an sexy at the same time. I felt like the attraction and relationship between Evelyn and Roderick was real and could easily evolve into them building a life together. I didn't have that feeling that these two are only together because they wanna take a tumble between the sheets, which is really important in these historicals.

The characters were very believable and likable to me. Evelyn had a hard life and ended up being a barmaid which o
Erika
3.5 to 4 stars!

Very fun, sexy novella. Though the hero is experienced sexually, he hasn't been a manwhore. Book is 100% safe.
Rachel Annie
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first novella from The Highland Novella Trilogy about the MacLauchlan Berserkers.

This was a quick read, but...

Yeah, it was sexy. Kinda left me wanting more, but I knew it wasn't a full-length novel. This is perfect if you want a hot and fast historical paranormal romance.
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-of-2016

RATING: 2.5 Hearts!
CC
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a fun little short story! I really enjoyed it. I have not read historical romance in forever; so it was good to ease back in with a short book that was also paranormal. I would have given this a higher score if we had more time in the Hero's POV. With him not speaking, I really needed something from him before the end.
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in The MacLauchlans series by Kerrigan Byrne. Evelyn Woodhouse is an English barmaid who has a secret. She has "the sight". She encounters Roderick MacLauchlan, a mute Berserker, and he ends up rescuing her.

First of all, this wasn't bad but it really was too short to really appreciate. But it is a spicy little read for those who like the hot stuff. I just didn't feel the story was developed enough.
Bespectacledreader
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The procrastinating human posted a useless review! YAY me!
description
Such an achievement really. Anyway if you are looking for verra short story aka novella with slightly, verra, verra, slightly convincing instalove (hello, MATE thing), more convincing instalust, sprinkled with action and magic then this is the book for you. And c'mon have you seen the author's name? the author is Kerrigan Byrne by now you must have trusted her after reading The Highwaymanand The Hunter which is pretty popular in the HR
Dalene
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this novella. This was well written. Not entirely comfortable with erotic romances, but having read a few, this book was not trashy. The author uses descriptive words that to me evoked a feeling rather than an entirely visual romance scene and did not overdo the details.

The premise of this story was great. Being a short story I thought many things would be rushed or left undone at the end, and this was so not the case. The set up with the scene in the beginning of the book a
Lori
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From start to finish I was unable to put this down. The author has a way of describing her characters and scenes to where you feel like you are there. It was the first book I have read by Kerrigan and it definitely won't be my last. I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Unwilling.

Casey
Hot. Berserkers. In Kilts.

That is all.
Katie Michaels
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved the idea of this book and I think its length was the biggest hindrance to its ideal execution. Don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed it. But I believe that with a bit more development, it could have gone to the next level.

Roderick MacLauchlan is a mercenary Berserker. He is huge, gorgeous, powerful and mute. Evelyn is an orphaned Englishwoman who works in a tavern in Scotland. She has a little bit of precognition, but it has only ever caused her problems. When she “sees” Roderick’s death,
Kate's Corner
Roderick has been cursed and has lost his voice as a Beserker it isn't easy either. He is a mercanary and the night he goes in to battle he meets Evelyn.

Evelyn has certain powers and the battle will not go well tomorrow as a barmaid she manages to accuse the traitor and escapes barely with her life when Roderick saves her.

Far too short for my liking but a fantastic read. Will most certainly continue with the series.
100sweet
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wanted to give this 1 star but changed my mind because of the H. The H was great but the h bothered the hell out of me. She grew up in a convent and is a virgin. She meets a stranger and knows next to nothing about him. So this donkey impulsively goes to his room to have sex with him. She gives a stranger her virginity and she acted completely out of character. This was a woman who didn't give close to anyone and had no known friends.
Liz
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love a good historical romance, and this takes place in one of my favorite eras. I think the Celtic culture is fascinating, and I love reading about berserkers. Byrne does a great job writing passionate characters who tell a story through their love for each other.

My only complaint: I want more!
Julia's Book Haven
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book but it was so short. Just as I was really getting into it, it ended :( I wish it was longer. But other then that is was good. A really interesting story. Hopefully the next one will be a bit longer.
Tiffinie Helmer
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't tell you how much I loved this story. It was sensual, and sweet, yet dangerous. Everything I love in a great book. I can't wait until the next one!
Gena
Apr 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Was thinking 2* but in a good mood this morning :) Some interesting elements however because the book is so short you get just a little sampling and insta-lust. The jarring part for me was the insistence of a kiss and not knowing the implications.
Jessica
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Given the fact that this book is merely intended to be a novella, not a full length novel, I feel it deserves 5 stars. I think some people forgot that this is meant to be a short story and unfairly rate it lower simply because they wanted it to be longer. That's fine if you wanted to see more, so did I, but it's not cool to take it down a star simply for that when you know beforehand from how many pages there are that its not going to be a full book. This is meant to be short and sweet. It did e ...more
Dianne
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Scottish hero, larger than life, a young English woman, now a barmaid in Scotland. He is a berserker who cannot/will not speak. She has 'the sight.' He comes to her rescue, when she is being harassed by drunken brutes. She saves him from himself and his curse. *Sigh*

What's not to love about this short tale? Maybe only that was short!

Wonderful adult romance!
Milena's Book Corner
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great book filed with sexy and emotional characters, yet with bloody battles, berserkers and ancient curses. The cake with the cherry on top! It grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let me go. This book does not disappoint and if your looking for a great read,then Unspoken is the tale for you.
Miranda
I've found a new favorite author!! Kerrigan Byrne has such a wonderful way of writing. Her characters simply jump off the page and keep you turning the pages.

This little novella is awesome. The only bad thing is that it's too short!

If you love Highlander books, this little jewel is for you. In fact, read her other Highlander books. You won't be sorry. ;)
Diane Hoover
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
The prose and descriptions are well done. But I'm just not a fan of novellas and short stories. There's just not enough pages to get into character development and I find it hard to believe a life long love can come in this fashion.
Ally
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sorry but totally worth it. For a book that is less than 70 pages, Ms. Byrne does an excellent job of keeping the reader hooked.
Keri
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yummy Berserkers!!
Lula Pantoofle
This book was ok. It was just too short for me. I think it would have made a great full length novel which irritated me as I wanted a more drawn out story. It was okay for a short read. I am not really into medieval Scottish stories though. I couldn't really get with the hero being called Roderick.
Reba
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was like the beginning of a good book, you have the highlands, the myths of the berserekers, battle and book over the end. Super short hopefully this is an intro into the next FULL length book. Fingers crossed or total bust on these books.
( Jo ) bubbles the book pimp
First in series and first read by this author.

Great novella that grabbed me from the get go. Interesting take on Beserker mythology. I will be checking out more by this author as she is very good at describing a world that is believable.
Iza
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short but very enjoyable story, with a mute hero for a change. They both got into bed fairly quickly, but there weren't that many pages for a real development and I was happy with what I got, paranormal included :)
Wangari
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
very old school mills & boon...
Anyone else bothered by the plot? 3 23 Jul 01, 2013 04:29PM
  • Celtic Fury (Celtic Storm, #1)
  • My Brave Highlander (Highland Adventure #3)
  • Warrior of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #2)
  • Seven-Night Stand
  • Captive Heart (The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch #2)
  • Caleb (Circle Eight, #3)
  • A Highlander for the Holidays
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • The Border Laird's Bride (Borderland Brides #2)
  • Taste It
  • Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland Legends #1.5)
  • Sweet Pleasure
  • Christmas Brides
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
  • Wee William's Woman (Clan MacDougall, #3)
  • The Highlander's Sin (Stolen Bride, #6)
  • The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6)
  • Texas Mail Order Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #1)
If you're anything like me, the best night is one spent with a brawny highlander, a mysterious werewolf, a conflicted vampire, or a hot-headed Irishman. My stories span the spectrum of romantic fiction from historical, to paranormal, to romantic suspense. But I can always promise my readers one thing: memorable and sexy Celtic heroes who are guaranteed to heat your blood before they steal your hea ...more
More about Kerrigan Byrne...

Highland Historical (6 books)
  • Unwilling (The MacLauchlans, #2)
  • Unwanted (The MacLauchlans, #3)
  • Released (The MacKays #1)
  • Redeemed (The MacKays #2)
  • Reluctant (The MacKays #3)