Start by marking “The Gateway to Hell: A Mike Shannon Novel” as Want to Read:
The Gateway to Hell: A Mike Shannon Novel

The Gateway to Hell: A Mike Shannon Novel

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Mike Shannon is used to taking on the hard cases. He's a private investigator and ex-cop in St. Louis, and when the authorities throw up their hands, Shannon is there to bring the guilty to justice. But doing what's right doesn't mean keeping your hands clean: he's stacked up quite a body count over the years-something he's not proud of-and it's beginning to take its toll ...more
Published March 26th 2012 by iUniverse (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Gateway to Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gateway to Hell

Jimmy
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
An entertaining read. PI Mike Shannon as ex-marine, ex-cop, and covert CIA operative is as tough as they come. With a contract out on his head, Shannon is hired to investigate the case of a runaway teenager and becomes involved in uncovering police corruption; bad cops, the FBI, the mafia, drug cartels are all intwined in the story. The bullets fly, and the body count increasingly rises ending with a particularly memorable exchange between Shannon and the corrupt chief cop Danko, with Shannon ha ...more
Rea
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ray Mileur has totally hit it with this action packed book!

Gangster bosses, drug dealers, a missing girl, corrupt police, the CIA, they all play their part, and Mike Shannon plays the star part.
He is an ex-cop, now PI, and while the story unfolds its many layers and you are sucked deeper and deeper into Shannon's life, you get to know him and his way of doing things.

The writing in this book is excellent, the characters come to life and you fear and hope with them, suffer for their mistakes an
Glen
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free at Goodreads first reads. Wow! Great book that I didn't want to put down. Very well written with lots of action. This is the first book I've read from Ray Mileur. If his other books are as good as this one, Mr. Mileur just became another writer on my list of "must read" authors. I highly recommend this book!
Tammy
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ray Mileur asked me to read and review The Gateway to Hell soon after I had expressed my general disdain for independently published books. I thought it took a lot of guts to do that, and after I decided to indeed read and review his book, it didn’t surprise me to find out that Ray is an ex-Marine, former police chief, and a private investigator. That explained a lot, and I was pleased to find the same gutsiness running throughout this first-rate novel.

Mike Shannon is a PI with a past. Like the
Ray Mileur
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Pacific Book Review

In the world of hard-boiled detective fiction, the story is generally not so much about solving a mystery as it is setting things up for the hero to take on the bad guys and win, usually with bullets flying and plenty of bloodletting. Unfortunately, too many writers have turned this into a template for a lot of bad stories filled with clichés, caricatures, and stereotypes, not to mention a lack of any shred of originality.

The Gateway to Hell is certainly a part of this genre.
 Marla
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. I won this book so thank you to the author. Interesting mystery with an ex-Marine, ex-cop, turned private investigator being hunted by mafia assassins and trying to solve a few mysteries while staying alive. Mike Shannon reminds me of a cross between Jack Reacher and Mike Hammer.

It was very descriptive, but 25 pages into the story, I'm thinking the brands and details add to setting the scene, whereas I found the designer name-dropping in Blue Bloods annoying.

I really liked this book
Bruce Sarte
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Gateway to Hell (A Mike Shannon Novel) by Ray Mileur is a fantastically written detective thriller that keeps you guessing – and jumping – with each chapter. The Mike Shannon character is tough, smart and a good-hearted human being. I mention the human being thing because he isn’t superman – he is human both in body AND soul. The author makes sure you see Mike for who he is and who he isn’t.

Shannon is set up as an ex-Marine sniper who is proficient with his weapons as well as keen with his e
Joyce Fisher
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thriller
I always enjoy crime thrillers (anything by James Patterson, Clive Cussler or Robert B. Parker) and I absolutely LOVED this book by a new favorite, Ray Mileur!!! I'm surprised that this is the author's first novel because it was such a great read. Mike Shannon makes a great hero, but the author hasn't tried to make him a super-hero, he sometimes makes mistakes, and his flaws make you root for him that much more!!! One of the things I loved the most was that there were some amazing twists in the ...more
Cassaundra Aunna
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on Goodreads First-Reads. I have read a number of books that I have one on Goodreads, that were poorly written and not very good. THIS IS NOT THAT BOOK. Ray Mileur is an incredible storyteller. I have always enjoyed crime thrillers, and I must say that Ray Mileur has been added to my list of authors that are a must in this category! I got so caught up in the story trying to figure out all the pieces before the book did it for me. It was intense, and I loved it. I absolutely canno ...more
~reader~
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great read. *spoiler* This book is about an ex- cop who helps out the st. Lewis polive by taking cases they have given up on. He takes a case about a runaway girl that seems relatively easy. That is until he uncovers some drugs in her room. The drugs appear to have come from the police evidence. *end spoiler* I could not put this down until I found out who was behind the murder and hwo it involved the police. I highly recommend!
Kayla
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Yay, I just won this book. I love winning a book with such great reviews, (signed) even better! I can't wait to read it. Eagerly awaiting its arrival.

There were some amazing twists in "The Gateway To Hell". I stayed up till the early morning reading because I just had to know how it ended. I'm hating myself now from the lack of sleep but the book was a fun read. I love playing the guessing game in my head who did it... haha!
Kelly Mileur-brewe
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just got it in the mail today from Amazon.com...Haven't finished it yet but so far I CANT PUT IT DOWN!! (Except when I have to at work!) I'm sure it will be done by tomorrow! Such an exciting read. Put it on par with Harlan Coben (one of my fav's), James Patterson, Lee Childs and the like! Can't wait to read more Mike Shannon!!
Melba Ziegler
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I Loved it cant wait for the next in the series...
Roxann