Start by marking “All My Dangerous Friends” as Want to Read:
All My Dangerous Friends

All My Dangerous Friends

Louie has finished with her old life, and stepped into a world of sinners. For her, things are not going to be the same again. This darkly funny, disturbing novel explores a lawless world where morality is a nuisance, everything can be bought, and the prices paid are high.
Audio Cassette, Library Edition
Published January 1st 2004 by Bolinda Publishing (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about All My Dangerous Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All My Dangerous Friends

Heather Browning
This was entertaining enough but not particularly strong - the main character was a little too naive to be really sympathetic, and the fact that her dodgy friends turned out to be even more dodgy than she initially thought didn't come as much surprise. But the retrospective narration is a good choice and does well at capturing that feeling of looking back on the events of your teenage life with a sense of disconnect.
Calzean
Not one of my Hartnett favourites. Louie an 19 year old who wants to rebel joins a nasty cast of young 20 year olds acting like juveniles delinquents with petty thieving, violence and drugs. The book just seemed flat and lacked the pizzaz of other Hartnett books.
Sara
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book in high school, and I recently bought it again second hand, and boy am I glad that I did, I forgot what a great book this was :)
Maree Kimberley
I usually love everything Hartnett writes but this isn’t one of my favourites. What I did like about it was the way she showed how easy it is for young women, especially those around 17-18 years of age, to get caught up with people who are really awful. It’s a part of growing up and finding out who you are, and although of course not everyone goes through this phase, I’ve seen it happen.
Often, as in this novel, the main character (Louie) escapes unscathed and goes on to lead a normal life. That
John
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tremendously interesting amoral tale exploring why people from supposedly good backgrounds choose to involve themselves with petty thieves and low-life crooks.

The storytelling is sparse but exact; it’s all centred around one or two events, so not a huge amount happens, and while the lead characters feel fully formed I couldn't tell you many details about where the book is set.

The tone is serious but carries no trace of self-importance, managing, for example, to touch on domestic violence wit
Brandy
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
A 19-year-old girl, tired of her safe, boring life, befriends a rougher group. her new friends deal drugs, shoplift big-ticket items, rough up those who need it, and more. she wants to know everything they do, but finding out is more than she wants to see.

not my favorite of Hartnett's books. the plot didn't grab me and tge characters were bland, including the head of their criminal enterprise. Hartnett can do far better.
Lisa
Feb 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
A thoroughly unpleasant book about a girl who's a complete loser and her unpleasant friends who rob people, peddle heroin and have nasty violent habits. The fact that the girl finally comes to see them for what they are doesn't IMO redeem it at all, and the advice about how to go shoplifting is extremely irresponsible.
Tressa
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I lost interest in All My Dangerous Friends after a while. I didn’t think the characters were that interesting. I stopped listening to the audiobook.
Loreto Kirribilli
Mar 08, 2012
Rachel
Nov 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sonya Hartnett (also works under the pseudonym Cameron S. Redfern) is, or was, something of an Australian child prodigy author. She wrote her first novel at the age of thirteen, and had it published at fifteen. Her books have also been published in Europe and North America. Her novels have been published traditionally as young adult fiction, but her writing often crosses the divide and is also en ...more