Start by marking “Graves' End” as Want to Read:
Graves' End

Graves' End

A modern-day witch helps an undead detective solve the mystery of his own resurrection in this magical thriller with a touch of classic LA noir!

Los Angeles PI Dexter Graves was pretty sure his life ended back in 1950, after a mysterious femme fatale shot him through the head. When Graves rises from his grave sixty years later, he finds himself drawn to freelance sorceress
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 364 pages
Published April 4th 2012 by Rocket Surgery Books

To ask other readers questions about Graves' End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graves' End

Start your review of Graves' End
Lynda Lippin
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Fun and Wild Ride

When the Aztec King of the Dead (known as Mickey Hardface) seeks to enter the living world full time with the help of a young witch and a reanimated skeleton private eye, you know all hell is going to break loose. Luckily his Hollywood office has a few exploitable weaknesses. There is great action, decent fighting, and much humor. Witches, archons, skeletons, ghosts, and other creatures abound. The end is a bit much and goes a little too far too fast, but it does wrap the stor
Allen
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story is pure fantasy, from 7 shots fired from a double barreled shotgun to a human being occupying the body of a cat with a lot of Mexican folklore woven around El Día de Los Muertos. This is a fun read all the way, especially around Halloween.
Shelley
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book--animated skeletons, witches, and a cat possessed by a long-dead man? Recipe for fun! The book is set in present day, but jumps back occationally to events from teh 1940s. If you're a fan of private detectives and the supernatural, you'll enjoy this book.
Correna Mcclure
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I got this one free on Amazon and was pleasantly surprised. It was a fun read.
Phil Hornshaw
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After meeting author Sean Traver a couple of times, I snagged his book for its remarkably low ebook price and dug in. At first it was a little...weird. Traver should be commended for that, actually, because while in the first two or so chapters I was wondering if the book was for me, what I was feeling was the fact that he'd built a very deep and together world. There was a lot going on, a lot under the surface, and I needed time to acclimate.

Then I hit the first chapter with Dexter Graves.

Dex i
Beth
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My gods, this was a fun book.

Traver's writing is fast paced and keeps the pages turning, creating a world where hard boiled crime fiction and fantasy elements blend perfectly. His LA is steeped in history and culture, and creates an inviting, gritty, wonderful atmosphere that's already brewing a soundtrack in my head. He also gets everything I've adored about fedora toting gumshoes since I was a little girl, but doesn't take it so seriously that you just groan at the idea of an undead pi hangin
Lanie Malone
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I stumbled across this book on Amazon while checking out my own book’s progress during one of my free promotions. I had seen it a couple of times before and decided to look a little closer. After reading the synopsis, I found it interesting and downloaded it. Being that it was free, I didn’t really feel like I had anything to lose. In hindsight, I can say that it wouldn’t have been a risk anyway because I found it to be a truly delightful read. The whole premise is unique and quirky.

Characters:
Pop Bop
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Fun, Sly, Fast Paced and Entertaining

First, the long description of this book on its jacket and its Amazon page completely, thoroughly and honestly summarizes exactly what this book is about. This remarkably entertaining book is a magical thriller with a touch of classic L.A. noir. It is funny and fast-paced and a real genre bender.

What isn't clear is the fact that the book is witty, full of sly little digs and bits, and cheerfully energetic. I was taken by the first few chapters - they were ele
Bryce
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Monthly ebook borrowing is the best perk of my Amazon Prime account, because I'm always surprised. Sometimes the books are embarrassing trash, sometimes they're early glimpses at a raw-but-promising author and sometimes they're really, really good. Graves' End falls into the last category.

The book follows the story of Lia, a witch living in modern day LA, who gets mixed up with Dexter Grave, a skeleton visiting from 1950. Along with Lia extremely unusual cat, they battle bug monsters, cast sp
Kyle Timmermeyer
If Tarantino wrote novels, I could imagine him popping out something like this. Sporting eccentric, sculpted wordplay like "monarchetype" that really sticks in the brain, Traver's prose is always fun, despite the serious and bloody action that gradually builds up toward an insane climax... which works convincingly, in the strangest sort of way, following the author's own brand of supernatural logic. It might benefit from a more evocative title and perhaps cover art, but, still... 5 stars!
Stefania
L'ho preso per sbaglio
pensando fosse un altro libro che avevo già letto in italiano e volevo rileggere in inglese (era gratis su Amazon).
Si è rivelato una gradita sorpresa.
Il libro che avevo in mente io e che rileggerò fra poco era meglio ma ci sono un paio di spunti carini.
Insomma da leggere solo se siete appassionati del genere e volete una lettura leggera.
David Richardson
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free from the Googreads first-read giveaway. Well YEEEEE-HAYYYY. Dead skeletons, Witches, and the Aztec King of the Dead. Archons, Familiars, and a great big "Hole in the Sky" Time travel that is explained very well. Super fantastic book.
Mary
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book - it was a fun read. First off I liked the main character. She was great and I wish I could read about more of her adventure. Second off I really liked the Aztec connection because you don't read that to often. I would read more by this author.
Elizabeth
It held my interest.
Babette
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. It was a fun ride. I love the L.A. setting, the characters, the historical back-and-forth. I am going to read more of this author!
Kirsten Lenius
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very quirky and unique book, I enjoyed reading this, despite my expectations to the contrary. Its level of violence was a bit high for me, but suited the subject matter.
Jeff Smith
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Really like how it wrapped around on itself.
David Donaghe
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This magical enchanting tale is funny, fast paced and well worth the read. I highly recommend it.
Marti
May 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
In the end, I liked this book at least a little, but it took reading most of the book for that to happen. I wouldn't really recommend this book.
Sally Bisbee
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I thought I knew about every monster around. Apparently not. What a wild ride!! I hope there's a sequel...
Ric Croxton
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Skull's end

Great cover for a great story. I was very impressed by the story and characters. I'd be curious to see if there is a sequel.
Estott
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Started out a little slow, then got quite good midway through. Very crowded and rushed at the end- too many characters, too much going on, complicated plans and mythology not very adequately explained, and a few too many surprise reversals (She's Dead! She's Alive! She's Evil! She's Good!). Did I mention too many characters? Some of them seem only introduced so they can experience a heroic but painful death.

The author has talent but I think he needs to simplify and slow down a bit on the next on
Booklover
2 1/2 stars. I guess this might be best described as a paranormal crime noir. And while I generally like both sci fi / fantasy / paranormal and mysteries, I really didn't like this much at all. I spent most of the first half of the book confused about what was going on and wondering what the point was (I guess it did get clarified right at the end, so that's something...), and the last half slogging through it, hoping it would be done soon. Didn't really like any of the characters much, and even ...more
Michael Stockinger
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get into this book; though I forced myself to finish it. Everything just seemed a little absurd how nicely and conveniently everything fit together. Perhaps I've read too many Christopher Moore books in the past and am comparing this to those - being in the same type of humor/fantasy genre (though I'm nauseated by the cuteness of those reads to). I guess this just wasn't for me.
Jennifer Taw
Such silly fun and then such a weak, confused, jumbled ending. It's like the author just ran out of time. But up until the last chapter or so, the book zips right along, filled with wonderful mock-noir and magic.
Michel Clasquin-Johnson
A fun-to-read mashup of detective noir and fantasy. Towards the end the coincidences start piling up a little thickly, but just suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride.
Michelle
Aug 04, 2012
K
Jun 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dracula Returns (Dracula, #1)
  • Galaxy of Heroes (Galaxy of Heroes, #1)
  • Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1)
  • Earthfall (Dinosaur Wars, #1)
  • Crimson Son
  • Christine
  • The Long Walk
  • Blaze
  • The Retreat
  • The Sunkiller Affair (Doc Vandal Adventures #5)
  • Giant Robots of Tunguska (Doc Vandal Adventures #4)
  • Air Pirates of Krakatoa (Doc Vandal Adventures, #2)
SEAN PATRICK TRAVER is a native of Los Angeles. His writing explores the hidden worlds that lurk behind the sleek facade LA presents to a casual observer. In addition to the traffic jams, the film studios, and the cookie-cutter suburbs, there are opulent courtyards and private gardens high up in the Hills, as well as blank, black-market warehouses crouched down in the Valley below. There are ritua ...more

News & Interviews