Start by marking “The Reluctant Amazon (Alliance of the Amazons, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Amazon (Alliance of the Amazons, #1)

The Reluctant Amazon

(Alliance of the Amazons #1)

2013 Heart of Excellence Readers' Choice Awards Finalist
2013 National Excellence in Romance Fiction Award Finalist
USA Today Recommended Read

The last thing Rebecca Massee expects on her wedding day is to go from jilted kindergarten teacher to Amazonian Earth warrior. But when she causes an earthquake after her groom says I don't, she discovers that not only does she possess
Published September 3rd 2012 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Amazon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Amazon

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
 photo Alliance-of-the-Amazons_zpsacac7438.jpg

The Reluctant Amazon is book #1 in the Alliance of the Amazons series by Sandy James.

Rebecca Massee is twenty nine years old, teaches kindergarten, lives with her Aunt, and is about to get married. She’s in her huge gown filled with frills and lace, standing at the alter, when her husband to be says no, he can’t marry her. Attempting to flee in shame, she is met at the doors of the church by the most beautiful man, in a kilt no less, who wants her to go with him.

“I came for ye, Becca.”

photo female_warrior_and_dagger_by_gestiefeltekatze_zps234aa33f.jpg

Her li
Meghan
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok- here's the thing- book bub said this was a fantasy novel and it was free, so I was all, totally. But it is not a fantasy novel. It is a straight up romance novel set with mythology denizens background. Exhibit a) instalove male lead character who is exceedingly handsome, has a very large sword, in a kilt, with a brogue. But wait there's more. Exhibit b) he is her protector, guardian, teacher. They are forbidden to love. They fight against it, but alas, the wicked hot tub is a dangerous place ...more
The BookChick
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
My Rating:★★★

Book Description:
The last thing Rebecca Massee expects on her wedding day is to go from jilted kindergarten teacher to Amazonian Earth warrior. But when she causes an earthquake after her groom says I don’t, she discovers that not only does she possess incredible powers, she is one of four lost chosen sisters who must fight to keep humanity safe from rogue gods and demons. Luckily she has help: ruggedly handsome Scottish warrior Artair MacKay, her protector and teacher.

An immortal,
Alex
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great storytelling!!!
Wow! This was good, I stayed up reading this and I hope there are more books in this series (I'm going to look it up). One of the scenes I found most awesome was the first one, it grabbed my attention from that very moment. I said, this girl deserves something great after this, well, she has to earn it. But I'm not writing spoilers. The author really know how to tell a good story and how to keep the reader's interest in every turn of the page. The romance is perfectly mixed
Book Binge
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
An immortal, Artair has trained countless warriors for more than four hundred years. He understands Rebecca’s confusion at the new world she’s been thrust into and worries she is too emotionally vulnerable, but that doesn’t stop his growing feelings for the beautiful and fearless woman.

When an evil force threatens to destroy the Amazons, Rebecca must claim her full powers–but they come at a cost. Can she sacrifice the man she loves if it means saving the world?

I have read a number of Sandy James
Kimberly
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Being left at the altar would be enough for a woman to handle in one day. Being jilted and then finding out you’re an Amazonian Earth warrior with supernatural powers? It’s enough to make kindergarten teacher Rebecca Massee think she’s losing it. Except it’s all true. Rebecca is one of four Amazons tapped to save the world from evil. She and her newfound Amazon “sisters” are to train and become a fighting force unlike any Rebecca could have ever dreamed. The only problem? Rebecca is no warrior, ...more
Sandy S
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it

THE RELUCTANT AMAZON is the first storyline in Sandy James’ Alliance of the Amazon series. The premise focuses on the background information about a female race of Amazonian elemental warriors-Earth, Water, Air and Fire and, how each member of the Alliance must work together with their fellow ‘sister warriors’ to put a stop to the end of the world. The storyline and series premise also pulls in mythological gods and goddesses, demigods and demons, and a hierarchy of power and control t
Scooper Speaks
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Favorite Lines: “Rebecca Massee was no longer the kindergarten teacher who had been abandoned at the alter. She was no longer the one who looked to others for her self-esteem. And she was no longer the woman who was afraid to take the lead, to charge to the front. Rebecca Massee was an Amazon. She was Earth. And she was here to save humanity.” (p. 224, egalley)

When I read the premise for The Reluctant Amazon it sounded different from what I’d been reading and piqued my interest. Usually when I’m
Arely
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you want a romance novel full of action and magic, this is the book for you.

Rebecca is the main character, and though she’s very cautious, she’s also badass when she needs to be. At times her caution annoyed me — I just wanted her to be kicking ass and being the Amazon I expected her to be. But she had another path she had to follow — one true to her nature. Slowly but surely, Rebecca became the Amazon she was supposed to be. Though she wasn’t what I originally thought she would be like, she
Judy
This is the first book in the Alliance of the Amazons series by Sandy James, and what an amazing first book it was. You know things are going to be good when the story opens on the bride punching the groom because he is jilting her at the alter, in front of all their friends and family - the big momma's boy!

Rebecca Massee is almost your stereotypical earth mother. She is a kindergarten teacher who helps put together and maintain neighborhood garden plots, who dreams of a home of her own with a
Stephanie Collins
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book enough to know I can't wait until she gives us more... :-)

Rebecca is having the day from hell on what should have been the happiest of her life. I mean she's dumped at the altar... lives thru an earthquake... and is now being told she's an Amazon??? How much more messed up can this day get? Well we find out because she gets attacked by revenants (zombies) and taken away to Avalon. In the midst of all this she meets Sparks and her "sister" Amazon. She is one of the chosen Amaz
Heather Wood
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book with plenty of potential for future novels. I loved the kick-ass women who were destined to fight against evil. The mythology was interesting, without being too complex and the plot was fast paced with a few surprising twists.

The novel had a strong opening sequence. I liked the introduction of Rebecca along with her sentinel Artair and the fellow Amazons. Rebecca punching her groom in the face was a great first scene and really made me cheer for her from the beginning. Megan’
Amanda
So, I didn’t actually finish this book. It is a DNF for me, it’s not that the book was bad, but that it was kind of boring. I got about 65% of the way through and I just couldn’t dredge up any more enthusiasm to continue the book. I kept thinking about all the other books I had waiting for me, screaming to be read and I just clicked off this book and never picked it up again.

Why was this book boring you ask, I think it mostly has to do with our heroine, who mostly whines throughout the book… Ok
I.O. Kirkwood
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are two stories in this book: a five-star paranormal adventure and a three-star romance. The adventure kicked butt. I loved how it evolved. Rebecca, our reluctant protagonist, holds so much promise, but she's soft. In this, James' sets up a satisfying adventure in self-discovery.

The romance wasn't as well developed as I hoped. As a writer, James gives us the romantic formula, but I found myself skipping over the steamy parts to get to the adventure. That could be a personal preference. Bur
July
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
I finished it so it gets 2 stars for that, but I have quite a few problems with this book.

* There is a lot of telling and not showing. This tendency made me feel like I had a very shallow (or no) rapport with the characters. It also made the romance seem really sudden.
* The world and the concept of the Amazons is very interesting, but it wasn't well fleshed-out. There was a lot more that I wanted to know. A lot of major questions were skimmed over or left unanswered which left me unable to immer
♫♥✿LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ (Chasity)
Artair MacKay certainly knows how to make an entrance. As Rebecca stands at the alter facing her soon-to-be husband and is rejected by him her life takes a spin. She is angry and rightly so. Rebecca throws and connects with a much deserved punch to the loser's face. With the turmoil of feelings swirling in her she makes the earth quake but does not realize that it is of her doing. In her wedding dress, Rebecca chooses to walk out with her head held high as she is escorted out by a handsome man i ...more
LilyElement
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, mythology-gods
Rebecca Massee was ditched at the alter by her momma's boy of a fiancee. Her anger triggers an earthquake and a sexy Scottish man comes to her rescue. They fight some foul looking and smelling creatures named Revenants that are basically zombies. Rebecca initially didn't want to believe him that she is an Amazon, but after seeing the monsters and a display from a Fire Amazon she has no choice.

Artair MacKay, a sexy Scottish warrior finds the new Amazons (Earth, Fire, Air, and Water) and trains th
Judith
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
What's a kindergarten teacher to do when she is abandoned at the wedding altar by her momma-loving groom and yanked out the door by a sexy Scotsman who claims she is an Amazon in training? Such is the experience for a woman who is thoughtful to a fault, considering all the aspects of any situation before she moves or decides. Now she is placed in a situation where she must not only get her mind wrapped around the whole concept of being the Amazon answerable to the Earth goddess Rhiannon as well ...more
Angela Blount
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
★★★ Stars

Rebecca is a little difficult to warm up to as a heroine. Rescued from her disastrous wedding day by a sword-weilding Scotsman, she starts out as a mundane, denial-addled school-teacher who just wants to be normal. More passive and delicate than her “sisters”, she spends most of the book striving, but lacking the wherewithal of a competent Amazon warrior. But she does eventually grow into a more likable character.

This reviewer particularly enjoyed the use of the elements in designation
Ryan Snyder
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the general storyline of the book. A woman finds out she has incredible powers after being rejected on her wedding day and must master her powers.

Rebecca was a pretty cool character. She was not perfect and had a lot of doubts about her new-found position as a warrior. I loved the bond she develops between her fellow Amazons.

Her relationship with Artair was a bit fast and had an insta- love feel to it, of which I am not a fan. He grew on me, due to his hotness, but they really needed t
Jaime
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
A fun read. However, the usual speed of declaration's of undying love in Urban Fantasy book's never cease to annoy. Especially since the thing that seems to endear Artair to Rebecca is that she is simply a normal human being. If the man had simply had a conversation with any decent woman on the planet I doubt he would've fallen in love. I also wish Rebecca's fiancé had been better explained. Why didn't he want to marry her? What made him such a coward? And why did she want to marry a man that sh ...more
Chrystal
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I love the storyline. It's a refreshing change in this genre.

The more I think about it, I still really liked the book. The beginning lacked character building, so I didn't feel a connection with the main characters. The beginning felt super rushed, and before I knew it this random woman had jumped into the back of a creepy van with two strangers. I didn't feel appalled or worried--I barely knew her! So it started out with a little detachment from the characters. I also had a really hard time pic
Jim Cangany
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This novel has it all-romance, interesting and good looking characters, non-stop action and a fun dip into Amazonian mythology. Rebecca Massee is an almost thirty kindergarten teacher who's just been jilted at the altar. As the realization that she's not getting married sinks in, her world is taken in a completely new direction when she finds out she's an Amazon who has been called to duty. Rebecca's task is to help fight an unidentified evil who is killing other Amazon warriors. Along the way, ...more
Crystal
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I never knew reading about mythology could be so much fun. This is one book that was very action packed and made you realize that not all warriors will be the same. Sometimes love is better than anger and that is what makes Becca Masse shine more than any other Earth Warrior ever thought about.

Artair MacKay has feelings for Becca and it isn't something he should be feeling. He is supposed to train the Amazons not fall in love and let his heart rule him.

I can't wait to see what else this author h
Amy Brouwer
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a happy find I got off the Amazon free list. I liked the take on the elemental powers the women have and the mixing of the different pantheons of gods. The sex wasn’t so abundant it became boring and I genuinely had a smile on my face through most of it. Spectacular ending! I enjoyed this first book in a 4 book series that I tore through them all back to back in a week!
Dena
I love myths and legends that direct a story of mystery. The characters are full of life, love and hate. I could relate to them and to hope they would have HEA. This story about a young girl who up ends her life to be a protector of humanity. The amazon and sentinel gets together and we see how they deal with obstacles. This is the most drama the story needed and mad it interesting.
Kyra Dunst
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love a good story with gods, goddesses, and willful women with amazing powers. Rebecca is more than a little hesitant to start her new life as one of four Amazons, but as soon as she befriends her new sisters and discovers what her new role in life is, she fights hard to take her place among them. The romance was sweet and passionate, just how I like it. I would read more from this author.
Shelley Deuso
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. I feel it took a little bit for me to get into it but once I did I couldn't put it down. I love the gods and goddesses of all cultures and it is hard to find a good story about them. I hope she is included in the rest of the series....after all she is earth!
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I didn't expect to like this book. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the story was written and how much I enjoyed all of the characters in the book. It was a very easy to read story, I often found myself picking up my Kindle just to read a page or two more.
Caitlyn Milner
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is a great book with lots of twists and turns I did not see coming . A forbidden romance with strong female character's. I would recommend this book to any one who love's strong female characters or paranormal romance's.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Strength (Aigis Trilogy, #1)
  • Darkest Hour
  • Renhala (Renhala, #1)
  • Pandora Project: Runaway Star
  • Sky Riders (Skybound, #1)
  • The Rescue Team
  • Blood For Ink (Scarlet Plumiere, #1)
  • Metal Urge
  • The Last Enchantress
  • The Keepers: Sienna (The Keepers #0.5)
  • Blood Guilt (Blood Hunters, #1)
  • Sin and Sacrifice (Daughters of Eve, #1)
  • Spellbound
  • Atticus for the Undead
  • Dark Wings (The Never Dark, #1)
  • Savage Possession (Temple of Luna, #1)
  • Soul Ties (Soul Ties, #1)
  • Shadow Heart: Slayer (Shadow Vampires, #2)
Sandy lives in a quiet suburb of Indianapolis and is a high school social studies teacher. She is published through Grand Central Forever Yours and Carina Press as well as indie-published. An Amazon #1 Bestseller many times, she has won numerous awards, including two HOLT Medallions.

Please visit her website at http://sandyjames.com for more information or find her on Twitter (https://twitter.com/

Alliance of the Amazons (4 books)
  • The Impetuous Amazon (Alliance of the Amazons, #2)
  • The Brazen Amazon (Alliance of the Amazons, #3)
  • The Volatile Amazon (Alliance of the Amazons, #4)