Start by marking “The Clue in the Embers” as Want to Read:
The Clue in the Embers

The Clue in the Embers

(The Hardy Boys #35)

The 35th in a series of ghost-written boys adventure stories. The Hardy Boys, teenaged detectives, are called to help solve the mystery of the inheritance of curios by their friend Tony Prito.
Hardcover, 1st, 214 pages
Published January 1st 1956 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Clue in the Embers, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Clue in the Embers
Jennie Louwes
A smidge grotesque. Definitely antiquated. Well thought out. In parts, vivid and lively. Action scenes that keep pages turning. Best suited for the early/mid teenage range. Three stars.

My first "Hardy Boys" read and also my last. I can appreciate, and now understand more fully, why these books would've been popular in the 1900's; but, I feel as though the writing style isn't modern enough (in today's day and age) to continue to remain favorite reads (among youth) indefinitely.

A solid three
Kristen Merke
This one didn't do it for me sadly. The plot was very lack-luster and the racist content was a little bit too much to look past. There was also a small transphobic bit that had nothing to do with the plot. While I know things were different when this book was written, I'm not sure there was a good enough story to allow me to look past the rather 'out of touch' content.
David Hines
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this older 1955 version of The Clue in the Embers and picked it up. This version is 5 chapters and almost 50 pages longer than the current version. The wording is also a bit more sophisticated, while the drawings and cover art are more simplistic. This adventure is actually a great story, but for the politically correct, the story has not aged well. It is full of what would now be viewed as caricature language and depictions of natives. It also contains what may well be one of the ...more
✨ Gramy ✨
Frank and Joe Hardy and their chums never fail to provide an entertaining and mysterious escapade. These teenagers are very intelligent, resourceful, and mature for their ages.

My grandsons and I enjoyed sharing them together and would recommend them to others. We enjoyed this one very much.

Each book is a clean read and can stand on its own.
Deborah
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abby-reads
Abby says: I love the non-stop adventure. My favourite part was how the bad guys left embers. I'm started to get tired of Chet complaining that he doesn't want to be involved in the mysteries with the Hardy Boys.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Franklin W. Dixon's The Clue in the Embers
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - April 7, 2012

In the past yr, my friend, the poet & essayist Alan Davies, conducted an email interview w/ me in wch he wrote: "I would be interested in knowing which books first struck you / as a boy / which authors – and the reading of what things might have pointed (pushed?) you in the direction of writing and the other arts." This unleashed a flood of memories about childhood reading wch led to my
Dravyn
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book for readers that love adventure. A story of two boys in an attempt to solve a mystery with many challenges ahead of them. Joe and frank ore on a mission to help tony solve the mystery of these two medallions. Not long after reeving the medallions they are stolen and took back to Guatemala, with the hardy boys following them they are led right into the hands of bandits. One thing i really like about this book is how there is never a boring or uninteresting part. Joe and ...more
David Hines
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent classic Hardy adventure that any fan of the original series will enjoy. Being an adventure that goes towards South America, there is some period-era stereo-typical language that today might seem in bad taste and a particularly ludicrous scene even for a Hardy tale where the boys' taxi gets caught in a lava flow, but if you can get past those shortcomings this is an interesting and unique tale that combines ethnic practices, history and fast-paced intriguing action. A good solid ...more
Hannah Belyea
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Tony inherits a mysterious curio collection and decides not to sell to a pushy buyer, the Hardy Boys must help him seek out and protect a pair of medallions that will help lead them on a quest for treasure in Guatemala! Dixon is certain to keep young readers on the edge of their seats with another fun adventure. Can the boys stay in one piece long enough to find the treasure?
Jack
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ate these up as a kid and usually got them as gifts for birthdays, Christmas and other events. This edition would be quite dated now and I believe they have updated the books. The author was a pseudonym for a plethora of writers who contributed to this series.
Ethan Hulbert
This cover is straight up bizarre. The book was a little weird too but in a good way, it was still pretty fun.
Joshua
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book interesting story line sort of boring in part of it
Michelle
The boys head to Guatemala and save the day. It's easy to solve crimes with daddy's money!
Kristofer
In which Latinos can't speak Spanish ("Juan's El Taxi"), "Indians" can't speak at all ("Hokay!"), and if you feature a shrunken head on the cover your book better make use of a goddamn shrunken head!
Tom Evers
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically about two brothers, Frank and Joe, who are sons of an internationally famous detective, and they plan on becoming detectives themselves. They already do track down some criminals. This book was basically about Frank and Joe's friend, Tony, receiving a lot of stuff from his uncle's old shop, and there are some thieves who are threatening and doing all sorts of other things to try and get some of the items from Tony's new collection.
I rated this book 4/5 stars, as I really
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
When I first read Hardy Boys, I think I was in class 5, I had such a crush on Frank Hardy. I liked the brainy one over the brawny one and that sums up my first impression of Hardy Boys.
In their late teens, Frank and Joe Hardy take after their detective father Fenton Hardy. Frank is the older of the two and has more breakthroughs in the cases because he is the brainy one. Joe is the younger brother who more often than not is useful when things get hot and they need to fight their way out.
Samir
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory-2009-10
This book is pretty creepy if you ask me. What happens is a relative of Tony dies and leaves him his weird shop plus shrunken heads. Also the shop is important when it comes to solving a crime. Be careful no matter what and first impressions can fool a person (you'll have to read it to know what I mean).
Karon
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read these books (and Nancy Drew) too many years ago to state, but while clearing out my daughters bedroom I am re-reading some books before recycling.
Good fun romp but I'm not sure they would suit a modern teen.
Arwen
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hardy Boys take on an international case in this book. When their friend Tony inherits some odd curios it attracts the attention of thieves. In order to solve the case the boys have to travel to Guatemala.
Keli Wright
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had fun reading this to Bowman and Tenney. They LOVE The Hardy boys, and because They Hardy boys had apple pie so did Bowmand and Tenney and I :)
R.A.
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, mystery
It was exciting. They go to Guatemala and any story that involves volcanoes is always exciting. This is a good one for young people but I don't think it holds up over time.
Kolan
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read when I was 10 through 13
Bill
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was OK enough until they travel down to Guatemala and start interacting with the natives. Boy, did that get my blood to boiling.
Naomi Valkyrie
My book has the same cover as shown in this listing but was published in 1972.
Jaden
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was truly fascinating book. I really love the Hardy Boys series.
Anthony(the world class soccer player
this book is a good mystery book but it is not the best. i like the action to it and the mystery behind it it's not some kind of mystery that a first grader could figure out.
PWRL
Nov 20, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Jerry
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another fun adventure.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Marts  (Thinker)
Hardy boys mystery in Guatemala
Goodreads Librari...: Add data 3 13 Nov 18, 2018 12:55PM

• Ellen Tebbits (Ellen & Otis, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Mystery of the Bermuda Triangle (The Mystery Series Book 11)
  • Secret Stories: The Secret of Spiggy Holes
  • Hidden Pictures (Nancy Drew Diaries Book 20)
  • The Clue of the Velvet Mask (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #30)
  • A Christmas Carol, The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • The Hidden Window Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #34)
  • The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
  • 2019 on Goodreads
  • Young and Damned and Fair: The Life of Catherine Howard, Fifth Wife of King Henry VIII
  • What Was Pompeii? (What Was?)
  • The Mandie Collection, Volume 1 (Mandie #1-5)
  • Mandie and the Cherokee Legend (Mandie, #2)
  • Conversations with Classic Film Stars: Interviews from Hollywood's Golden Era
  • Lost on a Mountain in Maine
  • My Patients and Other Animals: A Veterinarian's Stories of Love, Loss, and Hope
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.

The Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (The Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (The Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (The Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (The Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (The Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (The Hardy Boys, #10)