Start by marking “That's Me in the Middle” as Want to Read:
That's Me in the Middle

That's Me in the Middle (The Bandy Papers #2)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Promoted from the rank of Acting Temporary Captain in a Royal Flying Corps training squadron to that of very temporary Lieutenant-Colonel in the Air Ministry, ace pilot Bartholomew Wolfe Bandy blots his copybook with an ill-considered speech, flies to Ireland by mistake, and is sent back to the chaos of the Western Front as a lieutenant with the 13th Bicycle Battalion (als ...more
ebook, First e-book edition
Published April 1st 2012 by Sybertooth Inc (first published October 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about That's Me in the Middle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's Me in the Middle

Louise
Oddly, Bandy is at his best when he is at the front, running down officers, stealing cars, and generally causing mayhem for the brass and Germans alike. A large part of this book was set at general headquarters, which was somewhat less interesting. Still would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a good laugh.
Bonnye Reed
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free electronic copy of this historical novel from Netgalley, the estate of Donald Jack and Farrago, Prelude Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you all, for sharing your hard work with me. This book was originally published in 1973 by Doubleday.

The second of a series titled The Bandy Papers, this book is completely stand alone. I loved the insights into protocol involving flight training in WWI England, and I particularly loved Bart Bandy and his lady love, Katherine Lew
Richard Ayre
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this more than the first one. Very funny in places but with an underlying sense of the stupidity of the war, especially the 'brass hats' who seem to have no common sense! Jack's prose is marvelous, and the flying scenes are very well described-giving an idea of what it must have been like to go up in aircraft made from little more than wood and wires.
I'm reading the third installment now and I have to say, they just seem to get better. Can't wait to find out what Bandy gets up to next!
Sid Nuncius
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying the Bandy Papers series. Like the first volume, I found That's Me In The Middle a bit variable but never less than enjoyable and exceptionally good in places.

Bandy spends the first half of the book as Top Brass in London, giving Jack an opportunity for some well aimed potshots at official incompetence and infighting, treacherous politicians and so on. There is also the usual smattering of pure farce and Bandy's endearingly hopeless social and romantic escapades. This part is well w
Ron Collins
I find the bantering getting a little monotonous. I think I'm finished with series.
Jane
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in a tongue in cheek WWI series. Mild but funny.
David
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
The second book in Donald Jack's Bandy papers series, this is the novel that convinced me to read more of his works.

Set during the last year of the First World War (1914 - 1918), I have to say I found this book to be funnier than both the later installments in the series, and than the previous entry ("Three Cheers For Me"): indeed, this book was the cause of me getting some funny looks when I burst out laughing in work one lunch-time ...
Gabriele Wills
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww1
A delightful, hilarious romp through WW1 with a most unlikely, bumbling hero, Bart Bandy. Witty and laugh-out-loud funny, this clever tale is nonetheless well rooted in fact, and thus manages to convey some of the harsh realities and inept leadership of that brutal war. I agree wholehearted with historian Jack Granatstein's comment: "The Bandy Papers deserve to be read in private where insane giggling can go unnoticed." I'm really looking forward to reading more of the Bandy books!
Scott Harris
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1974 Stephen Leacock Award winning book is fun. The second in Jack's Bandy Papers collection, it features the fictional WWI war experiences of a Canadian soldier in the British air force. In addition to being clever and funny, it does a good job of capturing the more mundane experiences of the war and the sometimes slapstick quality of life in those dire times.
Scott G
very funny why has it not been made into a movie???
Michael
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the best book he ever wrote. The bathroom scene is still a comedy classic. Read this book.
Francis
Parts of the book made me physically laugh out loud. Very entertaining!
Steven Reeder
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely, incredably brilliant!!
John
Bandy at his best (worst?). Gets in deep shit but comes out like a rose. Don't know why I waited 40 years to reread this series. On to number 3 of the Bandy Papers.
Martha
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
P.G. Wodehouse Canadian-style
Nicholas
Jul 24, 2017
Rita Parker
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find it as funny as the first one but still killer.
David
Sep 29, 2013
Larry
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New edition - That's Me in the Middle 2 10 Jan 25, 2014 04:08PM
Novelist, playwright, and scriptwriter. Best known for his "Bandy Papers" novels about WWI ace Bartholomew Bandy, which won Jack the Leacock award three times for volumes of the series. Also penned the first modern play performed at the Stratford Festival of Canada, and wrote numerous scripts for television and radio.
More about Donald Jack...

The Bandy Papers (9 books)
  • Three Cheers for Me (The Bandy Papers, #1)
  • It's Me Again (The Bandy Papers, #3)
  • Me Bandy, You Cissie (The Bandy Papers, #4)
  • Me Too (The Bandy Papers, #5)
  • This One's on Me (The Bandy Papers, #6)
  • Me So Far (The Bandy Papers, #7)
  • Hitler vs. Me (The Bandy Papers, #8)
  • Stalin vs. Me (The Bandy Papers, #9)