Start by marking “Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill” as Want to Read:
Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill

Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill

(World Adventurers Series)

The first book in the World Adventurers Series, "Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill" chronicles the author's attempt to summit Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa. At forty years old and on the verge of a midlife crisis, he tried to change his life by climbing a mountain. This is his true story of facing Kilimanjaro and other challenges at ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Brilliance Press (first published March 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kilimanjaro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kilimanjaro

Start your review of Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill
August McLaughlin
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
As MG Edwards departs the confines of his usual life in seek of something more, his hike up Africa's tallest mountain becomes an analogy for personal change. While he delves almost exclusively into his own thoughts and experiences and relates little to the mountain or guides, the real story is in shifting the direction of his life. He contemplates leaving his job in the U.S. Foreign Service State Department to pursue the craft of writing, relaying valuable insight and lessons.

I felt that some of
Lada Ray
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conquering your own Kilimanjaro

This book is about many things. At forty, the author, M.G. Edwards, finds himself at a crossroads. Leaving behind the unfulfilling job as part of the American Foreign Service, he embarks on a grueling, excruciating, and at times scary, journey to the top of Africa, the famous Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Sound familiar? How many of us have gone through the same thing at some point in our lives? How many left an unfulfilling job behind, packed a backpack or a suitcase and
Donna Robison
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
M.G. Edwards’ Kilimanjaro: One Man’s Quest to Go Over the Hill represents as much of an extraordinary personal journey as it is a physical challenge.

Forty years old and on the verge of midlife crisis, the author is at a crossroad – continue in an unfulfilling career as an American Diplomat or follow his heart’s true desire since childhood of becoming a writer. One choice brings admiration, glamor, security, but also dissatisfaction; the other is tentative at best. He writes:

“The future weighed
Robert Sutherland
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
M.G. Edwards account of his hike up Kilimanjaro was a metaphor for his life. Stuck in a job that was unfulfilling and in the midst of a self-proclaimed mid-life crisis, Edwards teamed up with three others to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. Stationed in Africa with the State Department, he was ready to quit his job, but first he had to prove to himself that he could do something major.
Full of self doubt, he often compares himself to the fictional Harry Street, of Hemingway's "Snows of Kilimanjaro."
I've
David Cassidy
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I began reading Kilimanjaro: One Man’s Quest To Go Over The Hill, I quickly realized two things. First, M. G. Edwards is a superbly talented writer. Second, anything is possible.

This inspirational true story chronicles the day-by-day hiking trek to the summit of Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain. Fascinating by itself, the real story is the courage and fortitude of the author as he summons the will to confront not only the perils of the mountain, but a far more dangerous demon: a
Lucy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was lucky to be able to purchase my copy of this book from the author himself. This is MG Edward's own story of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro while wrestling with his decision to change his career and take the big jump into writing full time. His trip is described in great detail so that you feel as if you are really there with his group of climbers on the mountain every step of the way. Following along on the hike with him I spent some time pondering if I would ever attempt the climb myself. The ...more
Misti Debonno
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Kilimanjaro takes you on an epic journey of self-discovery as you enjoy one man's battle with both a mid-life crisis and the penultimate challenge of a mountain that peaks at 19,340 feet and destroys many a person along its path. The mountain is brought to life with great descriptions of its beauty, charm and also that of its perilous threat. Yet surprisingly his quest ignites the desire for a more rewarding life that is within us all, though sometimes buried. It is a gem of a book, that urges
David Holtzclaw
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Kilimanjaro," was a very inspiring & good read! I received it as a gift through the First Reads promotion by Goodreads, & truly appreciate the book as well as getting to know about new authors! Mike's story hit home in a lot of ways, & continued to have me pulling for him on his way to the summit.I think anyone would enjoy his story, whether being an "outdoor" type, or regular city folk. Kudos to Mike for his stamina & decisions made!
Nastasia Verheijen
Personal and inspiring!

The book is written in an incredibly personal way. The writer gives insight in his thoughts and feelings while climbing Kili. Mr. Edwards doesn't shy away from negative experiences and thoughts while on the mountain. The route was also described nicely and the pictures definitely added an extra touch. To me this book was well worth the read. If you are planning to climb Kili this is a book to read to inspire you, to dig deeper and climb higher.
Crystal Scruggs
I will elaborate on this fantastic book more after I get some shut eye. I read a chapter or two every night. I am a busy girl in the A.M. I became enraptured by this well written true story I must say.
Du Nguyen
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't quite know what to expect from this book. Having done Kilimanjaro myself I didn't really think that there was enough for a book but perhaps it was something more than that. Maybe this was a book about something else but framed in the story of Kilimanjaro. I quickly found out that it was exactly about one person's attempt to climb Kilimanjaro.

Edwards introduces quickly why he wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. The very first pages are about his motivation and want to do this. He is a diplomat
Heather Fineisen
I have not climbed Kilimanjaro nor have I written a book so I commend M.G. Edwards on his courage to do both. His account of his trek up Kili is a bit uneven, as was his actual trek. Edwards has his ups and downs and one can take heed to be in good physical and mental condition to embark on such an adventure. A good list of resources are available if you are planning your own Kilimanjaro climb. Edward's references Hemingway' s Snows over Kilmanjaro throughout as he grapples with midlife and ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Did not love this book and would not recommend it, EXCEPT for the part where it included people I know, which is always fun to read about. But overall, I did not love the book- perhaps mostly because i felt sad for the poor planning that went into their trip, (and a little bit because I was not too fond of the writing style, which was a bit repetitive and sometimes whiney- which I am not at all fond of when I am reading Kilimanjaro memoirs).
Sandra
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
The subject is of interest and I commend the author for his determination, but this is one of the most boring books I have ever read. The writing style is so filled with mundane detail and I just found it annoying. Not to mention the poor grammar (imminently qualified?). Not an inspiring book on a potentially inspiring subject.
Jonathan Cotton
Rathi Ho
Jan 08, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Kilimanjaro, Clim...: Kilimanjaro Book Giveaway! 1 3 Apr 25, 2012 01:43AM
M.G. Edwards is a writer of books and stories in the mystery, thriller and science fiction-fantasy genres. He also writes travel adventures and children's books.

He is author of "Kilimanjaro: One Man’s Quest to Go Over the Hill," a non-fiction account of his attempt to summit Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain, and a short story collection called "Real Dreams: Thirty Years of Short