Start by marking “Inkarna” as Want to Read:
Inkarna

Inkarna

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Ashton Kennedy wasn't a nice guy. He cheated on his girlfriend, knocked up a powerful drug lord's sister, and abused vast quantities of illegal narcotic substances. Whoever ran him over with a big shiny SUV was doing the world a favour. His very male, tattooed body is the last place Elizabeth Rae Perry--a member of an ancient Egyptian cult--expected to reincarnate in, inst ...more
Paperback, First, 297 pages
Published June 15th 2012 by Dark Continents Publishing (first published May 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Inkarna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inkarna

Suz
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, horror, pnr, urban-fantasy
Review at http://paperbackdolls.com/?p=11586

This one is kind of hard to label. There aren’t any of the current tropes of the urban fantasy genre in here, that’s for sure. There are no werewolves or vampires or demons or angels. Steeped in ancient Egyptian lore that is brought to a contemporary South African urban setting, the story was original and engaging, providing just enough “realism” to leave me thinking “can you imagine if that really happened?” Seriously, imagine dying as one gender expe
Tahlia Newland
I read a lot of books, so when one stands out for me, you can be sure that it has something special. This is such a book. It’s different, totally original and conceptually fascinating. I really enjoyed it. Although, Netgally had it down as horror, I wouldn’t call it that. It’s dark, yes, but not black—possibly saved from that fate by the angry ghost.

I’ll admit that the what-if scenario had me hooked from the start. A woman, a practitioner of an ancient Egyptian cult that allows souls to return w
Rab Fulton
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The dead have never been so animate or immediate. All manner of weird and supernatural entities can be found lurking just about anywhere: books, cinemas, graphic novels, ice lollies, i-Phone apps. At this precise moment in time vampires are floundering and flapping as they try to take a bite out the new zombie zeitgeist. Yet just as a body begins to get a little jaded with the undead along comes a story that re-ignites the joy and shiver for all things weird and macabre.

INKARNA by Cape Town auth
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-review, sa-author
***Light spoilers:***

Our world is not as it seems, there are forces at play that we don’t see. Egyptian forces. Reincarnation is real, and when Elizabeth gets reincarnated 5 years too late and into a body that she did not expect, things go from weird to action packed! Set in Cape Town, this novel felt more real to me than a novel set in a country I have never visited, and the Egyptian lore was both fantastical and spot on.

Ash’s ‘body’ makes for a great lead, he is strong, tall and tattooed. Howe
Serenity Banks
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Tomorrow will be the first time I die." From the first line, this upcoming release from South African author Nerine Dorman rings like a dinner bell, promising exotic flavors of intrigue and mystique. And such is our introduction to old Mrs. Lizzie Perry, our narrator, and Leonora, her young companion: our first glimpses into the lineage of House Adamastor and the Inkarna, the People Who Return.

We meet Lizzie as, in preparation for her passing, she hands down her responsibilities as Mistress of
S.A. Partridge
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, south-african
Inkarna is a modern horror that tackles Egyptian mythology and what happens when reincarnation goes wrong.

Elizabeth Rae Perry is a member of an ancient Egyptian cult who is about to die. She expects to reincarnate into the body of a three-year-old girl, but instead wakes up to a world she doesn’t recognise in the body of unscrupulous goth boy Ashton Kennedy who has more enemies than friends.

What I really liked about this book was the concept of a prim and proper elderly woman reincarnated into t
Sonya Clark
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The world building of Inkarna is phenomenal, some of the most unique I've encountered in any urban fantasy. The slightly different take on reincarnation makes for a great set-up as the character who is introduced to us as a prim elderly woman returns to the mortal plane as a young goth male with a penchant for nasty trouble. Lizzie settling into life as Ash brings a lot of humor and heart to the story that dovetails wonderfully with the menace and darkness of the rest of the plot. Richly descrip ...more
Melissa Ecker
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When Lizzie wakes up in the body of a 21 year old man instead of a three year old girl as planned, she is immediately immersed into the screwed up life the body's former inhabitant created. She's in a race against time to adjust to being "Ash" and getting to know his family and girlfriend while also trying to solve the mystery of why she ended up in his body which he wants back, by the way. This story has endearing moments of self discovery and fantastic and frightening paranormal elements. Dorm ...more
Susan A.
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very deep, it took a bit for me to fully get into this, but once I did, I enjoyed it rather much.
To be honest, I began reading this so that I could perhaps have some sense of Ash before reading Blood and Fire because I didn't want to judge him unfairly in his dealings with Xan, whom I ADORE.

I will be looking for more from this author I think, especially if it involves Xan (Crooked Fang) or if the two of them cross paths again.
Synde Korman
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The world building in this book is fantastic. A new and original idea, Dorman mixes occult principles with a heart wrenching story. This is a must read people!
Ernie
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Riveting storyline, great contrast between new and old, young and old, male and female, mundane and magical. I loved being thrown into this world and I can't wait to go there again.
Amy Burgess
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What if you belonged to a secret cult that knew how to transfer the soul from one body to another?
This is the fascinating premise upon which Nerine Dorman’s Inkarna is based. Who hasn’t wondered what happens after death and if it’s possible to come back?

For Lizzie Perry, a member of House Adamastor of the Inkarna, eternal life in a succession of different bodies is all but assured. If her heart is pure enough and if she has attained the necessary power while an initiate on earth, she will cross
Chimene
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who love something a little different in a supernatural tale!
Wow.
This was a total shot in the dark; take a risk read. I have just joined NetGalley and was looking through the catalogue. Inkarna had an interesting looking cover and said “read now” ... So I did!
The opening line reads:
“ Tomorrow will be the first time that I die...“
Result? Hooked.
I started reading this with no background knowledge of book or author. I didn’t read the blurb and I didn’t allow myself to read any other reviews. This was just me and how the book made me feel whilst reading it.
Th
Icy Sedgwick
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In a world where 'paranormal' books seem to be preoccupied with vampires or werewolves, Nerine Dorman gives us reincarnation, ancient Egyptian mysteries and even daimonic powers. What's not to love?

The story is told by Ashton Kennedy - or rather, by Lizzie, a woman reincarnated into the body of this fairly obnoxious young man. As one of a race of beings known as Inkarna, Lizzie belongs to House Adamastor, a group of people dedicated to knowledge and secrets. Sadly the afterlife is just as riddle
Toby Bennett
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A story of Egyptian myth and mythology without a mouldy old bandage or sandy tomb in sight, Inkarna asks some very interesting spiritual questions while maintaining a contemporary and fast moving plot. How would a ninety year old woman who died decades ago fare in the body of a young, arrogant metal head? That’s a tough enough question before you add in an angry Russian mobster and a co-dependant girl friend. Oh and those are just the mundane obstacles our hero… heroine? Must face. Try an angry ...more
Carrie Clevenger
(ARC review)
Where do I start? The very concept of this book (woman reincarnating into a man) grabbed my attention right off. I'm sure as females we've all pondered what a day off might feel like. Nerine takes this little notion and builds a massive new universe, set in South Africa, for her readers to discover.

Ashton Kennedy was an asshole. In every sense of the word. Throughout the story, I feel that the eventual resolution is very realistically reached. The story offers a great deal of confli
Lux Zakari
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read several of Dorman's works, and this one has definitely become my favorite. This completely addictive story is engaging from the get-go and rife with ancient Egyptian magic, stunning description, and her trademark alternative characters (complete with some familiar faces and haunts from her previous works). In "Inkarna," Dorman tackles life, death, and rebirth with subtle profundity and a fascinating story concept that had me hanging on until the very last word.
Cliff Townsend
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well written and a fascinating story. Loved the ideas. the characters were great and the way it was woven was gripping. A must read for people who like something a bit different and other worldly mixed in with today.
Tanya Maria
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I'm hooked!
Eva
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
My complete review can be found on my blog.
Nerine Dorman
Apr 07, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
For those of you who wish to see me in action, I do a reading on YouTube and even offer you a little taste of me talking Afrikaans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVBnHO...
Liz Cabrejos
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm going to start out with what I really liked. The way the writer incorporated past and present was very well thought out and written. I really enjoyed the relationship between Ashton & "Ashton". It was quite funny and entertaining. It was nice to see Marlise fall in love with the new and improved Ashton. The idea of a woman being reincarnated into a mans body, learning to adapt and act and feel as a man, was quite frankly wonderful. Now my issues. The story dragged on too long. The use of ...more
Natasha Slight
Look for my upcoming review this week....
Alison Smith
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
An intriguing read - I devoured in in one afternoon straight!
Lizzy Lessard
I really enjoyed this book. Full review to come soon.
Alyssa Breck
Dec 01, 2013
Lameya Labiba
Oct 03, 2012
South African Boo...: Inkarna (No Spoilers) 6 28 Sep 08, 2014 12:31PM
  • Crooked Fang (Crooked Fang, #1)
  • Water Music (Clare Hart, #5)
  • Ushers, Inc.
  • Gentlemen Prefer Nerds
  • Where There's Smoke (Good Girl Series, #1)
  • The Guardian of Bastet
  • The Ward (Downside, #2)
  • Master of the House of Darts (Obsidian and Blood, #3)
  • Calling The Shots (Long Shots, #4)
  • Nephilim Awakening : Enkindu (volume 1)
  • Helen of Troy: Beauty, Myth, Devastation
  • All For You (The Nephilim, #1)
  • Demon Hunting in the Deep South (Demon Hunting, #2)
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Yorick
  • Under the Moon (Goddesses Rising, #1)
  • Death of a Saint (Mall Rats, #2)
  • Tall Stories:  Expecting Someone Taller and Ye Gods
Nerine Dorman is a South African author and editor of SFF currently residing in Cape Town. Her short fiction has been published in an assortment of anthologies, including the Midian Unmade: Tales of Clive Barker's Nightbreed; The Endless Ages Anthology for Vampire: The Masquerade; the Wraeththu mythos; and War Stories: New Military Science Fiction, among others. Her YA fantasy novel Dragon Forged ...more
More about Nerine Dorman

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)