Start by marking “My Life with the Walter Boys (My Life with the Walter Boys #1)” as Want to Read:
My Life with the Walter Boys (My Life with the Walter Boys #1)

My Life with the Walter Boys

(My Life with the Walter Boys #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  21,299 ratings  ·  1,988 reviews
My Life with the Walter Boys centers on the prim, proper, and always perfect Jackie Howard. When her world is turned upside down by tragedy, Jackie must learn to cut loose and be part of a family again.

Jackie does not like surprises. Chaos is the enemy! The best way to get her successful, busy parents to notice her is to be perfect. The perfect look, the perfect grades-the
Published March 1st 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published May 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Life with the Walter Boys, please sign up.
Olivia Crumpacker Yes, it is in the works right no and set to release early 2016. She does have a wattpad page though, where she's posted alternate sequels (different f…moreYes, it is in the works right no and set to release early 2016. She does have a wattpad page though, where she's posted alternate sequels (different from the one that will be published but still a good read).(less)
Aurora yes, it is. you should also read the wattpad version my sister said it was good
The Bad Boy's Girl by Blair HoldenThe Bad Boy, Cupid & Me by Slim_ShadyMy Life with the Walter Boys by Ali NovakI Sold Myself To The Devil For Vinyls... Pitiful I Know by DarknessAndLightThe Cell Phone Swap by Lindsey Summers
Wattpad
686 books — 921 voters
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny HanIsla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsWe Were Liars by E. LockhartSince You've Been Gone by Morgan MatsonWhat I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick
2014 Contemporary YA
257 books — 1,981 voters

More lists with this book...

·  21,299 ratings  ·  1,988 reviews

Start your review of My Life with the Walter Boys (My Life with the Walter Boys #1)
Rocio
Apr 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
I’d rather read the iTunes User Agreement.
♥ Sarah
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Ashley Nuckles
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve been rereading some of the stories I read on wattpad when I was younger, and this one brought me waaay back lol. Super cute, fun, cheesy story if you’re looking for a light, easy to read book!
Leigh Collazo

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

IF THIS BOOK WERE FOOD, IT WOULD BE: Lays potato chips--the regular flavor--total junkfood, but you can't read just one page.

WHAT I LIKED: On one hand, Walter Boys is a quick, fun read that I completed in about a day. I enjoyed it the same way I enjoy potato chips or cookies--it's junkfood not meant for a steady diet. Somehow, despite its many flaws, I still enjoyed reading it, and I think many teens will like it, too.

I liked the family. Even though Katherine and
Juhina
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

This book was exactly what I needed. A girl who ends up moving in a house of 12 boys? (11 boys and a tomboy to be exact). Does this remind anyone of Cheaper by the Dozen or Yours, Mine, and Ours? I at least was reminded of those two movies whenever the boys would pull pranks on each other and also Jackie.. which is most of the time. I really loved everything about this book, from how light hearted it was to managing to have some very emotional and tear inducing scenes that transitione
Carrie Ardoin
Well this book pissed me right off. Not only is the main character (and the entire book for that matter) wrapped up in so many mindless cliches...at the end she chooses the guy who's been a jerk to her the entire book. He even goes so far as to throw her dead family in her face.

This book perpetuates the thought that for teenagers, it doesn't matter how mean a guy is to you, as long as he is hot enough to give you that feeling in your tummy! I have a feeling in my stomach, too. I'm nauseated.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 stars

This book started out strong, I loved the concept of a girl having to move into a home with twelve boys. But what I didn't expect was a love triangle where everyone was using each other for their own means. I honestly would have enjoyed this book much more if the triangle hadn't been in it, because Jackie's personal journey of discovery would have made more sense.

Anyways, it's a fun fast read and if you want something cute and quick this is the book for you.
Maureen
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5/5 stars

Well this book would have been so much better if not for probably THE most disappointing end to a book I've ever read. U KEEDIN ME WITH THIS CRAP? I honestly was annoyed the whole day I finished it because of that. I am still annoyed tbh.
ANYWAY this is a majorly trope-y book but it's done super well. The main and biggest trope being the love triangle, but I liked this version of it because it was more of an "I made my choice but I'm still having conflicting feelings" than a "WHICH BOY
Giselle
The premise of this was interesting, but it felt so forced. Like she had to pick one of the Walter Boys. I didn't have a favourite at all. I didn't see what was so special with any of the boys. Some of the kids were adorable and the things they said made me laugh out loud. The family dynamics was my favourite part of the book.

The only character that had any development was Jackie and she went from being a goody-goody to one who started taking stupid risks..all for a boy. Clearly she lost some br
Jean
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite wattpad books of all time. Really enjoyable, with a pleasant writing style, a really cool author herself, and cute twists here and then. It's one of my favorite Megan Meade fanfictions, but with a totally different plot and style.

Well done, Fallzswimmer! I look forward to the second book and re-reading this one again!

Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
I was enjoying this one, but then it was getting closer and closer to the end and things weren't really getting any closure. That ending did not work for me. I feel like I have read half a book. Ali Novak better have a sequel coming out ASAP.
Silvia
Jul 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
If she hadn't gone for the cliché trope of dating the nice guy so you can avoid the bad boy, this book might have been bearable. But then again, it was full of stereotypes and crappy writing. I should have known what I was getting myself into. One of the worst books I've read this year.
A Canadian Girl
When I saw the synopsis for Ali Novak’s My Life With The Walter Boys, I expected a light, breezy read. Thankfully, I got that because My Life With The Walter Boys was just so full of drama – so much so, that I laughed at times because I couldn’t believe anybody saying or doing anything similar in real life.

There isn’t much of a plot in My Life With The Walter Boys. Instead, the book relies on the reader getting emotionally invested with its characters. For me, that didn’t happen to the degree th
~Tina~
After the horrific car accident that killed Jackie’s family and leaving her orphaned, Jackie doesn't have much of a choice but to leave all the comforts of her New York home and move to Colorado with Katherine Walter, her mothers oldest friend and Jackie’s new Guardian. But leaving home to move to a horse ranch is one thing; living with 12 other Walter kids is an entirely new story. One, Jackie isn't sure she’s cut out to handle.

Ha, this was fun! I really enjoyed the concept for My Life with the
Drea
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
So this chick's family dies in some freak accident, is forced to move from Upper East Side NYC to Colorado into a house full of testosterone and is expected to leave her upper-class city life behind to become a full on country gal. How about no.

I've read this book on Wattpad so many times, hoping to enjoy it more than previously but it wasn't getting any better. In fact, it seemed to be getting worse and I didn't think that was possible. This book had so much potential and I actually found the s
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
3.5 Stars

My Life with the Walter Boys was one of those "pleasant surprise" kind of books. A blogger friend gave it a great review so I decided to give it a try. While I wasn't blown away, it was still a really enjoyable YA contemporary and I found myself more invested than I thought I would be.

At 16 Jackie loses her parents and sister suddenly in an accident. Her upper crust NYC penthouse lifestyle changes dramatically when she is sent to live with her mother's friend in Colorado. Life on a ra
Tabby
Dec 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Too annoyed to review right now...what a waste of a day!!

*UPDATE* 12/20/2014

I was prepared to give this at least 2, maybe even 3 stars, depending on the ending, but then that non-ending happened. I don't understand authors that do this. So you want to make it a series? That's fine. I'm cool with that. Leave em wanting more but that was just so abrupt. I kept going thinking I was missing pages or something. That there was no way the author would string the reader along the ENTIRE book just to end
Alaina
Second time read. First time review.

My life with the Walter Boys was still meh. The first time I read this book.. everyone really annoyed me. The second time I dove into it.. well, I'm still equally annoyed with everyone. Thank god it is such a quick read, plus having wine helps, and the book was over before I knew it. Unthankfully, I still have to write this review.

I hate love triangles - really and truly. So this book and the wack-ass triangle it shoved at my eyes.. mad me mad all over again.
Karla

2.5 Stars! I felt a little cheated!

First half of the book, very good. Second half, I'm not sure what the author's original intent was, it felt like she lost the direction her story was taking, and midpoint she decided to make this a series. I was hoping for a more conclusive ending, but I was left hanging, and I didn't like it at all!

Apparently the author was 15 years old when she wrote this, now she's in her early twenties, so knowing that I'll grant her some liberties, you have to start somew
Saniya
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Now seriously. This is one of the best books on Wattpad. You are not a true Wattpad-ian, (yes, I just created that word) if you haven't read this glory.

So happy this book also got nominated for the Best Young Adult Fiction. <3
Clarissa
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Need sequel. NOW.

So I read this book on one of those fantastic nights when the people on my floor wouldn't shut up and sleep just wasn't going to be a thing that happened. I went into tis thinking "ya I'll read a few chapters and then doze off." FALSE. In typical me fashion I ended up staying up till 3 AM finishing this baby. I'm now in desperate need of caffeine, but oh man was it worth it.

This book is about Jackie Howard whose entire family recently died in an accident and now she is being s
Elaina
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a quick and fun read!! I really want to read the sequel now lol I loved all of the different characters and their personalities. Just like others have said here on Goodreads, this book reminded me a lot of Cheaper by the Dozen. Especially with all the pranks and tricks that went on in it with all of the 11 boys and 1 girl :p I enjoyed this book very much, although I have heard from others that it is very similar to another book...but I really liked My Life with the Walter Boys and would ...more
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
3.5 stars.
This was really cute, and I definitely enjoyed it. I thought it was going to be really predictable, but it turned out that it wasn't. It wasn't perfect by any means, but I had a good time reading it.
jessica ☾
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
A fun read and very easy to get through, but wayyy too insta-crush and love triangle-y for me.
Tris |Dont think you can control me|
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Shelves: teen, favorites
OK...wow...there are actually no words to describe how good this books was. well i mean the fact that i finished it in the span of 4 hours should really give it away. but really this book is just plane amazing.
(view spoiler)
Merphy Napier
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
it's like "Paper Princess" but less horrible. if you liked that book you'll likely like this one. I don't have a lot to say... I finished it cause I figured it would go on my "Worst books of 2017" list but it wasn't as bad as I expected. I didn't HATE it but I didn't like it either. sorry if this seems mean, I just don't have a lot of thoughts other than "meh"
Nicole
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious! I really loved all of the characters! I'm a little disappointed with the ending and I want a sequel!
Abigail
Um......is there a sequel?? Please tell me there is a sequel people, becuase if there is not, I'm going to start crying! I LOVED that ending but it ended on a slight cliff-hanger and I hate cliff hangers!

I loved this book, I highly recommend it! The only thing is I would recommend being 14 or older, just because of some content, like cussing and a few implied things. Overall though, this book was amazing!

One thing (other then the cussing and implied content) was Jackie. She was a great lead fe
Mara YA Mood Reader
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! An enjoyable heartwarming contemporary. I’m not a contemporary fan but the development of the character’s relationships really kept me going.

I loved being submerged into a house full of 12 boys alongside the mc Jackie. The pranks, the fights, the dirty minds and mouths and ruckus and curious minds were highly entertaining!

I would have given a higher rating if not for the insta-love and somewhat of a love-triangle that was just too soon in my opinion considering the mc’s circumstance
2020 SQHS Your Li...: review 8 9 Jan 28, 2020 01:18PM

• P.S. I Like You
  • I Sold Myself To The Devil For Vinyls... Pitiful I Know
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • The Cell Phone Swap
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • The Game Can't Love You Back
  • Maybe This Time
Ali Novak is a Wisconsin native and a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s creative writing program. She started writing her debut novel My Life with the Walter Boys when she was only fifteen. Her work has received more than 150 million reads online.

When she isn’t writing, Ali enjoys Netflix marathons, traveling with her husband Jared, and reading any type of fantasy novel she can get

My Life with the Walter Boys (2 books)
  • Untitled