Start by marking “The Pumpkin Smasher” as Want to Read:
The Pumpkin Smasher

The Pumpkin Smasher

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When all the pumpkins are mysteriously smashed on three consecutive Halloweens, the townspeople of Cranbury almost decide to cancel the holiday.
Published September 1st 1972 by Walker & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Pumpkin Smasher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pumpkin Smasher

Mischenko
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's October, and the people of Cranbury are getting reading for Halloween. Scarecrows, big black cats, ghosts, and jack-o-lanterns adorn the town, until Halloween comes and a pumpkin smasher smashes all of the beautiful pumpkins. Who would do such a thing?

Next year, signs are posted and police are on the lookout. Unfortunately, the pumpkin smasher strikes again. The people of Cranbury are ready to cancel Halloween. They come up with a plan, but will Halloween be ruined again?

Our copy of this o
Marion Abbott
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my heart - my favourite, favourite FAVOURITE Halloween story!

Ms. Benarde was ahead of her time, I think, with the colour and style choices. And the shivery 'reveal' of the story never gets old.

I actually have my elementary school library's 'discarded' copy of this book - a first edition. I feel so fortunate to own such a classic.

Perfect for all who love Halloween.
Stephanie
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am pretty sure that somewhere in my childhood a teacher read this to us in grade school. It recently popped up in an issue of "Entertainment Weekly" which prompted me to get it and re-read it.

70's feel to the story and the drawings. So I am good with it. I know that someone somewhere is going to cry politically incorrectness somewhere. However it fits the time period it was written in and it is a good story overall.

Tonya
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible read aloud for inferencing, making predictions and setting. I have used it with 3rd and 4th grade.
September Michaud
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, halloween
Publication Date: 1974

Synopsis: Someone keeps smashing all of the town of Cranbury's pumpkins. Once they decide to "quit" Halloween, the terrible Turner twins have the bright idea to paint a large rock to look like a pumpkin. Soon, the Pumpkin Smasher Witch comes to the town to once again smash all of the pumpkins, but after finding the "un-smashable" one she decides to move on to another town.

Simple, good plot. A fair amount of text. Illustrations appear to be ink and watercolor with various g
Brandon Clawson
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My mom has an old copy of this book I used to read every year. It's been out of print for a long time, but it was reissued last year. I bought it and am glad to have it. It was as much fun as I remember.
Kim
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great little Halloween book to read to your kids....IF you can find it. It's out of print now. I constantly look for it in book shops. I don't want to pay $75 for it on EBAY so don't tell me you found it! Your kids will request it over and over...especially if you can do the VOICES!!!!
Erin
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a kid and it popped into my head recently around Halloween. I would love to get my hands on a copy, as the one I read as a child has long disappeared. I've tried looking on amazon but the cheapest copy sells for $40!!! It's a great book, though.
Laurie
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I probably read this book at least 25 times, it was my son's favorite book as a young boy and he took it out of the library every time he could find it. Holds wonderful memories of my son who so loved the library and so loved Halloween.
Andy
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is a cute book to read to kids for Halloween (if only there were some around to read to)
I enjoyed it and will add it to my collection of books to read for Halloween.
I got my copy from The Goodreads giveaway.
Cory
  • The Cat at Night
  • Clifford and the Halloween Parade
  • My Light: How Sunlight Becomes Electricity
  • I Spy a Pumpkin
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • Two at the Zoo
  • Can You See What I See? On A Scary Scary Night
  • Lots of Spots
  • Vampire Boy's Good Night
  • Witch's Broom
  • How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow?
  • The Best Ghost Stories Ever
  • Spooky Hour
  • The Man Who Lost His Head (Picture Puffins)
  • The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection
  • The Bones of Fred McFee
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)