Jump to ratings and reviews

Slices of Flesh

Do you like your horror in small bite-sized chunks? If so, then SLICES OF FLESH from Dark Moon Books will activate your taste buds like zombies drawn to fresh brains. These flash fiction stories oozed from the brains of some of the best horror writers from around the world and will fit perfectly into your daily diet of "scary." SLICES OF FLESH includes the following short horror tales: Acceptance (Reesa Brown), Air Baby (Stephen Volk), All Paths Lead to Psychopath (Sephera Giron), Althea's Mistake (Jennifer Word), Angst (Fran Friel), The Bastard Called Hope (Jennifer Brozek), Big Bite (Rick Hautala), Blame the Neighbours (Kaaron Warren), Bloody (Lorelei Shannon), Blue (J. R. Parks), Bones, Bones (James S. Dorr), Bones Lie Quietly Now (Nate Kenyon), Breathe (Brad C. Hodson), Burial Ground (Simon Clark), Carb Friendly (David C. Hayes), Chains of Love (Del Howison), The Collector (Jacob Ruby), Costumes (J. F. Palma), Cur (Shelly Towne), Cutter (David Dunwoody), Dear Jimmy (D.L. Snell), Demon (Michael O'Neal), Devoured (Jeremy C. Shipp), Dryad (Laura Benedict), Dwindling (Kevin McClintock), Etched Deep (David Niall Wilson), Every Time a Bell Rings (Araminta Star Matthews), Ex Voto (Graham Masterton), Extinction (Janice Gable Bashman), Fallen Leaves (Michelle Mellon), fambly (Jeremy M. Zoss), For Worse (Steve Voelker), Chomps (Sierra Christman), The Fourth Wall (Jack Nealy), Fresh Air (Lon Prater), Grampa's Lucky Coin (Peter Timony), Heart Throb (Linda Addison), Hoodies (Paul Kane), How to Make a Monster (Adrian Ludens), I Am Not Afraid (Stan Swanson), I Am Not Going to Be That Guy (Lance Shoeman), If You Go Out in the Woods Tonight (Nancy Holder), In the Fullness of the Moon (Nancy Kilpatrick), Intertwining Tales (Timothy P. Remp), Into the Death Zone (Tim Lebbon), It's Just Business (Matthew Warner), Jumping In (Aaron Polson), Just One of the Gang (William F. Nolan), Kelly Wants to be Free (Wayne Simmons), Laid Down (Ramsey Campbell), Last Call (M. R. Sellars), Love Disappears (J. W. Schnarr), Magnum Opus (Lori Michelle), Monster (Max Booth III), MRM (Connie Corcoran-Wilson), Nothing (Douglas Smith), Overtime at the Beheading Factory (Tom Cardamone), Paper or Plastic (Roy Robbins), Perishables (Amy Grech), Picnic (R. B. Payne), Polaroids (Jack Ketchum), Predator and Prey (Fred Wiehe), The Prisoner of Andersonville (Eric J. Guignard), Puddles (Bryan Hall), The Real Deal (Anne C. Petty), Rudy Jenkins Buries His Fears (Richard Thomas), The Rush (Lisa Morton), Sabbatical in the Methlands (Joe McKinney), The Shadow of a Doubt (C. W. LaSart), She. Her. You. (Kevin James Breaux), Snuffbox (Erin Eveland), Soul Of The Dog (Lee F. Jordan), Spit (Jeremy Wagner), Spot (Charles Gramlich), Stab (Lawrence Watt-Evans), Striped Pajamas (Marge Simon), Sumpahump (JG Faherty), Swallow (Simon Strantzas), Then, Just A Dream (Lawrence Santoro), Things Fall Apart (Christopher DiLeo), Today, I'm Marshall Mason (Charlie Fish), Touch (Marie O'Regan), Under Dale (Susan Palwick), Vade in Pacem (Monica J. O'Rourke), Van Helsing: His True Story (Jason V Brock), Wetback (David Tallerman), What I've Gots in My Pocketses (Chantal Boudreau), When The Dead Rise (Sandy DeLuca), Who Is Screaming (Stewart Carrick) and The Wrath of Benjo (Edward M. Erdelac).

330 pages, Paperback

74 books29 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (4%)
1 star
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Chantal Boudreau.
Author 67 books86 followers
July 2, 2012
You should see my ragtag copy of this anthology of horror flash-fiction. Why is it in such poor shape? -Because I’ve been dragging this book everywhere with me. One of the wonderful things about this book, aside from the fact that all stories were donated and all proceeds are going to literacy charities and funds to help support writers in need of assistance, was that it could be read in snippets, an entire story read in full when I had a couple of minutes to spare. I read the first couple of stories while donating blood, a few while waiting for a bus or on the bus, some curled up in bed, waiting on my daughter at the pool or sitting outside in the backyard with my son while he played on the swings.

“Slices of Flesh” was a veritable all-you-can-eat buffet of terror, an opportunity to sample the work of many extraordinary genre writers, some veterans and many writers newer to publication. If any of the stories didn’t quite match your tastes, the next selection likely would, and I can honestly say that I really enjoyed most of the pieces – the exceptions being a couple that were a little surreal for my liking, but those tales might be your cup of tea.

Picking my favourites from the 90 stories is a real challenge, but there were a few that struck a real chord with me. “Cur” by Shelly Towne was one I enjoyed so much I read it over three times because I thought it was so clever (and disturbing.) Kaaron Warren’s “Blame the Neighbours” caught me off guard and gave me goose-bumps. I got a big kick out of Lon Prater’s “Fresh Air” and I liked the unusual format along with the turning point of the story. And I thought Eric J. Guignard’s “The Prisoner of Andersonville” was creative and delightfully shocking. To do justice to the other stories, there were many more I loved and deserve mention, but I don’t want this review to span pages. The best I can do is recommend that you get your hands on this terrific anthology and read them all for yourself. I don’t believe you’ll be disappointed.
Profile Image for Araminta Matthews.
Author 17 books52 followers
April 6, 2012
This book includes stories from some of the most powerful horror players on the block and I'm right in there with them. My story, "Every Time a Bell Rings" is probably my best piece of short fiction to date. AND, the proceeds go to charity. Please pick up a copy to read some of our powerhouses of horror (like Jack Ketchum) and to support literacy education and writers relief funds.
Profile Image for Lawrence.
Author 19 books32 followers
April 14, 2012
Up front, I'm one of the 90 or so authors of this book. Even so, if I didn't think the book was worth every penny I wouldn't recommend it. As it is, SLICES... is an incredible collection of tiny delights and chilly terrors by some of the finest authors in the field. And it's all for a good cause so unlimber your leather and flip out your plastic. Get it, read it, love it.
Profile Image for Thom (T.E.).
110 reviews18 followers
April 14, 2013
Tremendous variety doesn't make for a tremendous book--but I enjoyed a reading experience where I didn't know what would come next. This is a compilation of dozens of horror flash fictions. Stylistically they cover the range from nostalgically semi-sweet (William F. Nolan) to simplistic character-description setups leading to gore-drenched tableaux (too many, in this reader's opinion). It's difficult to get readers to suspend disbelief and then tell a full tale--sometimes a surprisingly complex tale--in five or fewer pages, but many of the writers here get it done. The authors range from legends to beginners, and that helps keep things fresh--but oft-careful editorial selections are what kept me from putting this book down after I'd gone through the occasional entry that didn't work for me.
Profile Image for Andrea Blythe.
Author 11 books73 followers
May 3, 2021
A good mix in this collection of horror flash fiction stories — most are solid, with some standouts and only a few that I didn't particularly like. The variety means that readers of all types are likely to find pieces they enjoy.
Profile Image for Paul.
146 reviews
January 16, 2023
Super fun collection of flash fiction. I took my time and savored these slices of flesh because I wanted them to last.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.