Start by marking “The Ruby Brooch (Celtic Brooch #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ruby Brooch (Celtic Brooch #1)

The Ruby Brooch

(Celtic Brooch #1)

When the heir to MacKlenna Farm, paramedic Kit MacKlenna, discovers she is not who she thinks she is, she uses the magic of the ruby brooch to travel back in time to the mid-19th century American west to uncover her true identity. Her coming-of-age quest leads her down a dangerous path that could cost her not only her heart, but her life.

Scottish lawyer Cullen Montgomery
Published March 31st 2012 by Katherine Lowry Logan (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Ruby Brooch, please sign up.
Erin Channell They are connected, and reading them in order will be helpful, but you could read them as stand-alones if you're willing to go with the story a bit…moreThey are connected, and reading them in order will be helpful, but you could read them as stand-alones if you're willing to go with the story a bit and not be discouraged if it takes a little longer to get some explanations.(less)

Theresa
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Weak and silly... *minor spoilers*

If I I make it to the 65% mark in a book I usually finish it. The Ruby Brooch will be the exception.

My very first time travel romance was Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I won't say that ruined me for all others but it did set a bit of a standard for setting up the time travel premise and having the time traveler cope with and adapt to the time to which he or she has traveled. DG does it quite well by having her heroine Claire Randall flung backward to the m
Eryn LaPlant
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night. WOW! Just wow! I absolutely loved it. I love the author's voice, love the development of the characters, loved the plot and story. All of it was SO good! I've been reading a lot of books lately, now that I've been opened up to a bunch of new authors, and some are ok, some are bad and only a couple have been outstanding. Katherine was outstanding! She now has a life-long fan.

Ok, let's talk characters. Kit was just adorable, sensitive yet strong, determined yet lov
Amelia Siegert
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is not great. There is no depth to it at all. I was able to finish it because the heroine was like able, but I was happy it was over. Outlander puts this book to shame.
✨Susan✨
A very modern, tough girl learns upon her fathers death that she is able to time travel and chooses to go back to 1861 to find her roots. While she is on a treck through the Midwest in route to Oregon she learns how difficult and fragile life was then and against all her defenses falls in love. I enjoyed the main characters story and the history. The author did a good job showing how brutal and rugged trail travel could be back in that day.
Emily Ever
I am a total sucker for time travel all around, and this book started out strong.

There was a plausible reason why the protagonist should be perfectly prepared to survive in the pioneer days, one that didn't even make me think it was an excuse.

The descriptions of pioneer times was really interesting, especially all the detail on the Oregon trail headed west. The author did a great job at detailing the precariousness of life on the trail and how easily simple things could lead to death.

There was s
Artemiz
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I really wanted to like Katherine Lowry Logan's book The Ruby Brooch, I really did, since I had heard so much good about it ... but I couldn't.

For me there where several things that prevented me to like the story. First, for me this story was Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series fan-fiction. I will not make here a list of all the things that where the same, it's sufficient to say, that a girl with a medical training travels to past and meet a highlander, who has shown himself as a ghost in her time
Bill
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It is a wonderful combination of historical fiction and paranormal time-travel. And how could you not love a book that has a Golden Retriever and a cat in it! The voice of the main character, Kit, it fantastic. I was rooting for her the whole time, although she did act dumb a couple of times. The historical fiction part of the story involves traveling the Oregon Trail in 1852. The author did a lot of research on this and did a great job of making us feel like we wer ...more
Corri
Apr 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I quit reading this book as soon as I realized the actual story was just a vehicle to write a lot of sex scenes. I'm only writing this review ro warn others,like me, who don't appreciate that much graphic description. Don't get me wrong, I love a good historical romance. This did not fit that category for me.
Pam Nelson
3 The Ruby Brooch Stars

This is why I like book club, this is NOT a book I would have picked up on my own because time-travel is not my thing. And I am not a big fan of historical anything because sometimes the words confuse me and I am woman enough to say that.

That being said there were a lot of things I like about this book and there were a lot of things I am still clueless about.

I would say it took a few chapters for me to identify with which character was which. I think because you kind of
Kate
I liked the concept of this book however, the execution left a lot to be desired. As you know by now, the plot involves the heroine traveling back in time. What kept me from getting truly involved in the story is that she travels back in time with a 19th century wagon full of 21st century items: a CVS worth of drugs and first aid supplies, an iPod and headphones, a digital camera, liquor, guns, and so on. And she really doesn't make a huge effort to hide this from the 19th century characters nor ...more
Jill
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was ok

Cyndi Marie ☆★Audiobook Addict★☆
***Listened to the Audiobook***

This book is a little hard for me to give a rating because there was so much I loved about it and a few things I didn't. This is only my second time-travel story and I wasn't sure if I was going to love this one when it started because honestly I don't know a lot about this era or the Oregon Trail.

In the very beginning I found myself a little lost with who is who and the Scottish accent was throwing me off because for some reason I was having a hard time tying in
Terri
Westward Ho! With A Twist (Audiobook)
The Ruby Brooch is the first book of the Celtic Brooch Trilogy (plus) written by Katherine Lowry Logan and narrated by Teri Schnaubelt. A modern, self-assured, accomplished and sadden woman, Kitherina (Kit) MacKlenna has her world blown apart with the death of her parents and love interest, discovery that she is probably not a MacKlenna by birth, and the possibility that her actual origins might lie back in 1842 and a trek along the Oregon Trail. So begins th
Meagan
THE RUBY BROOCH is Historical Romance that starts off in modern day but quickly go back to the Pioneer days in Independence Missouri. Kit MacKlenna makes a life changing discovery after her parents are killed in a crash that has her using an old Celtic Brooch to continue her father's journey into the past to figure out where she came from. Kit is a strong women with twenty-first century mentality that she carrier over into the nineteenth century. She obviously stands out from the normal subdued ...more
Leserling /Belana
This book was given to me at no cost, by a generous acquaintance.

Let me start with the narrator for a change:
I've listened to Teri Schnaubelt before, so I was quite excited to find out that she narrated a series of historical fiction I'd been sneaking around for a while now, and I spontaneously decided that now was the time to read/listen to the series.

I wasn't disappointed. Once again, Teri does an excellent job with the narration: characters, dialects, moods -- all perfectly delivered, making
Kevin Berry
The Ruby Brooch was hard to put down, and definitely rates five stars. The main characters, Kit MacKlenna (from the 21st century) and Cullen Montgomery (from the 19th century) were both portrayed deeply and realistically, with hopes, dreams and flaws. I liked the way the story began at a quick pace and was nicely paced throughout with twists and events that kept me turning the pages and reading late into the night.

The story is told partly in the current time and partly in the mid 19th century, a
Carolyn
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carolyn by: Sha Mslvoe
Re-reading the entire series again. Okay, here goes the FOURTH read! Bliss!

Okay, the fourth time is just as wonderful as the first time! This is a series that is a must read for me every couple of years. This is the book that began the "Celtic Brooch" series and it is definitely one of the best time travel romance series out there. This book was simply AWESOME! I highly encourage anyone who loves time travel, romance, page-turning adventures, heart stopping mysteries with a delightful Celtic fla
Madelyn Waychoff
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
The book started out interesting, the story line was intriguing and the characters held promise. Then... Then it fell into the same old routine rut of all romances - the scarred, broken girl meets the rough, unapproachable man and they break each other and fall in love. The romance seemed rushed and forced, the intimate scenes overly descriptive - I like when authors use the idea of an action or the senses rather than graphic detail of certain acts. I feel like the author wanted to write a roman ...more
Erin
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
A reviewer compared the writing in this book to Susanna Kearsley. Don't be fooled. The time travel premise was believable but the plot was not. The author relied on sex scenes to convey romance. I found Kit to be cheap and annoying! She was too perfect and I couldn't identify with any of her emotions or traits. I would not recommend this book and won't read the others in the trilogy.
Shirl
Wow! What a book! I thought at the first it might be just a regular story, was I ever wrong. This story took off and didn't stop till the very last word. It is full of growing excitement, twist turns, surprises and full of romance and love. It will make you laugh, cry and tug at your heart. Great writing great read.
I am looking forward to reading more of this authors books in the future.
Heather
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope, time-travel
Jan Miller
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Typically I do not listen to time travel romances, but I am so glad that I listened to this one. The narrator did a fantastic job with the various voices and accents and characters. I found this story totally captivated me and it is a complete listen. I am hooked on the story of Katerina and the Ruby Brooch. I am looking forward to the next book in this series. Some aspects of the story were a little unbelievable, but remember it's fiction. I loved the fact that Kat was such a ...more
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version of this book. I really thought the premise of the book was pretty cool--a current day paramedic going back in time to try to find out who her parents were. Some of the particulars of the book would be a little hard to swallow if you wanted to pick it apart (she time travels with a wagon full of present day supplies plus her cat, dog and horse), but I chose to just go with the flow and enjoy the story. The one thing I found really hard to ignore, however, was the t ...more
Mich Must Read
I got hooked into the words....highlander and time travel with a magical ruby thingamabob.

I thought it would be

but I got

Juliette
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***read audiobook
***received free copy in exchange for honest review
This was a very unique story. It had time travel, adventure, history, humor and a love story that spans 2 centuries. This book was a lot of fun, and I plan on listening to the next one for sure. If you like some sci-fi with your romance, you won't be disappointed.
Terri Schnaubelt did a great job narrating. I really loved her Scottish accent. I would absolutely listen to more books narrated by her.
Happy reading!
Kathleen
Jul 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this as an audiobook for a long car ride. It was so horrible, I decided listening to Spanish Radio (I don't speak Spanish) infinitely preferable. Audible suggested the book because I have listened to and enjoyed Susanna Kearsley's and Diana Gabaldon's stories, and it came with primarily 5-star reviews on Audible, Amazon, and goodreads; a fact I find mind-boggling. I have never returned a book to Audible as unreadable before, but this book was terrible.

If you're a person who enjoys histo
Simon Okill
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I did not know what to expect as I began reading this book, but the more I read the more hooked I became with Kit Macklenna’s need to discover her true identity. All her life, Kit has seen a ghost hovering around the family grave at The Macklenna Farm. Who is he and what does he want? After her parents die in a car crash, Kit rummages through their effects only to discover they were not her parents.
She was left on their doorstep in a bundle of bloody rags. The mystery deepens when kit finds an
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this book in both eBook format and audio format. I read / listened to this book in audio format via audible.com. I always choose the audios when possible as the narrators tend to breath life into the stories like a heart beat! Even if you read this book, listen to it again in audio and it is like a whole different story! Audios also allow us to be hands free while we read and drive, work, walk, even clean a house!

What a great story. The author is genius for the story line. I truly enjoye
Sherry Gomes
This story combines, a mystery, a romance, a little western, time travel and characters that live with you long after you finish.

It begins in 2012 in Kentucky on a thoroughbred ranch. Kit is the only remaining member of her family, having just lost her parents in a terrible accident. She does have an uncle, but I'm not sure he's a blood uncle, if you get my meaning. She receives a shocking message and journal from her father that sends her on an adventure we could all want to experience. Accordi
Sheena Breland
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting concept

I gave this book 3 stars instead of 2 because I actually made it to the end. I did however skim a lot of filler sections, especially the numerous sex scenes. I really didn't think they were necessary for the progression of the story.

Some things didn't really make sense and weren't well explained. For example, Kit has an iPod when she goes back in time. I'd really like to know what iPod model she has because my battery dies within a day. Also near the end they mention that they

• A Moment In Time
  • In the Time of Kings
  • A Love Through Time (MacKendimen, #1)
  • Forever His (Stolen Brides, #1)
  • Highland Stone
  • The Hands of Time (Hands of Time, #1)
  • Yellowstone Heart Song (Yellowstone Romance, #1)
  • Old Sins Long Shadows
  • Like Chaff in the Wind (The Graham Saga #2)
  • Time-Kissed Destiny
  • Clandestine (House of Oak, #3)
  • The Time Heiress (The Time Heiress, #2)
  • Wanted - Dead or Alive
  • A Tumble Through Time
  • Nothing But Time
  • Return of the Rose
  • Circles in Time
  • Footsteps in Time (After Cilmeri #1)
Katherine grew up in Louisville, Kentucky and attended college in New Jersey, where she earned a BA in Psychology and a minor in Criminal Justice. After attending the Philadelphia Institute for Paralegal Training, she returned to Central Kentucky and worked as a real estate and tax paralegal. Katherine is a marathoner and lives in Lexington, Kentucky where she writes full time.

Celtic Brooch (9 books)
  • The Last MacKlenna (Celtic Brooch, #2)
  • The Sapphire Brooch (Celtic Brooch #3)
  • The Emerald Brooch (Celtic Brooch #4)
  • The Broken Brooch (Celtic Brooch #5)
  • The Three Brooches (Celtic Brooch #6)
  • The Diamond Brooch (The Celtic Brooch #7)
  • The Amber Brooch (Celtic Brooch, #8)
  • The Pearl Brooch  (Celtic Brooch #9)
“Sometimes life is nothing more than a photo album full of goodbye pictures.” 2 likes
“life isn’t just about being happy. It’s about being joyful in spite of your circumstances.” 2 likes