Start by marking “Monsoon Season” as Want to Read:
Monsoon Season

Monsoon Season

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Riley refuses to call herself a battered woman - she doesn't fit the profile. When her boyfriend Ben hits her, she doesn't know what to call it. She does know to pack her things and run to the one place that feels safe - home. Riley discovers she's pregnant and her emotions become tangled. She can't shake the fact that she's still in love with Ben... A horrific accident th ...more
Published July 19th 2012 by Canvas

To ask other readers questions about Monsoon Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsoon Season

Tricia Drammeh
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Riley doesn't seem like the type of girl who would fall into an abusive relationship. She's from a "good" family, is educated, highly intelligent, and confident. She doesn't seem the type who would go back to her abuser, or who would miss him once she was separated from him. But this is what Riley does. Because it can happen to anyone, even to those you would least expect. As the author delves into Riley's past and her family life, we uncover elements of dysfunction that might lead to future unh ...more
Mary
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
After finishing college, Riley moves away from her loving family in Massachusetts to Tucson and meets Ben. They fall in love and move in together. Slowly problems appear and Riley realises that she is in the classic violent relationship... and she is pregnant. She moves back to her parents' home to escape and heal, only to have an accident create more havoc in the family.

I found this story very low key as it closely follows the classic outline of family violence up to a point. There seemed to be
Leah
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
When I heard about Katie O’Rourke’s debut novel, I figured it would be similar to reading a Sophie Hannah or a Brooke Morgan novel, with a damaged heroine and a plot that you don’t generally see in Chick Lit. A darker sort of book, if you will. But if I’m honest, I’m not really 100% sure where I would slot in Monsoon Season. It’s not a psychological thriller as I had assumed, it certainly isn’t Chick Lit and there is no author I would be able to point to and say “It’s like that”. It’s not really ...more
Michelle
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the characters. I think I would have liked to hear more from Ben's mom. There were times I would get confused when the pov was changed. Riley and Ben were told in 1 st person, however everyone else was told in 3 rd person.
Sitatunga
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Highly engaging characters, compelling plot development, beautifully evoked scenes .. it had me hooked from the start.
Casee Marie
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2013
Riley is a Massachusetts girl fresh from college when she boldly moves across the country to Arizona, separating herself from her family in an attempt to find her own footing in life. Amid the fervid unrestraint of Tucson’s monsoon season she meets Ben, and the two discover a comfortable life together. They live simply and love passionately until Ben’s spasmodic and unpredictable temper pushes Riley to a place from which she refuses to return. Stricken by the sting of his abuse, Riley once again ...more
Deb
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Monsoon Season is O’Rourke’s first novel, a portrayal of a young relationship with some serious problems. It’s a simple story, but thankfully this book is anything but simple. It tells the story of Riley and Ben, a couple in their early twenties. Riley is leaving Ben and going back to her parents’ home across the country because Ben has become abusive.

O’Rourke does a fantastic job portraying the ups and downs of this blossoming relationship, from first date to first sex to – sadly – first sign
Mary White
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Monsoon Season is the story of Riley and Ben, two young adults who meet and fall in love. Author Katie O’Rourke handles the burgeoning relationship with deft hands, showing in moments and gestures how the two become acquainted and enamored. Here, Riley’s hand meets Ben’s amidst sparks and spasms; there, he reaches down and readjusts the blankets to cover her cold feet. Facets of their personalities emerge as we follow their movements. They spend hours playing board games and staying in, and days ...more
Leish
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book starts out with Riley on her way home. We are aware that her boyfriend, Ben and her had a fight. We aren't aware of the circumstances for several chapters until we finally learn that he was an abuser. I think that the hold-out for this reveal was kind of perfect. O'Rourke gradually introduced it to the reader, so I wasn't sure if I should feel sorry for Ben or not? I began to feel like the battered woman because I was making excuses for Ben. I came to my senses eventually, but I found ...more
Jennifer Joyce
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
The first part of Monsoon Season is told from Riley and Ben's perspective but then continues the story from the viewpoints of those around them too. I found it interesting to see how an abusive relationship affects the friends and family of the couple, especially Ben's mother, Teresa. I would have liked to have seen more of Teresa as she had been in Riley's position herself. How would Ben turning out like his father affect their relationship in the long run?

I liked how Monsoon Season began with
Lucy
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012, for-review
I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. I did expect to enjoy it, but I also expected it to have a little less real substance.

It was an easy read. The chapters were split up between different characters which gave you different sides of the story. The voices seemed pretty authentic to me, and I found I really felt like I was having a conversation most of the time. The only real problem was that I found I liked all the characters, sometimes against my better judgement, except where they didn
Kristin Gleeson
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There's a quiet pace about this novel that moves the reader along like a mild river current. Underneath that mild current there teems the emotion of the various viewpoints to create a very compelling novel. The opening is beautifully crafted to set the scene and allude to the pent up emotions contained in the hub of characters in the novel. It's Riley's pregnancy that initiates the monsoon and we are drawn into the novel to see what damage such a storm will unleash.
This is a beautifully written
Mjl
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
A bit of a confused read. The book is nominally about Ben and Riley and the messy, unpleasant details of their breakup. And initially that is the focus but then there's a car accident, a different breakup and a wedding and you're left wondering what the point of the book is....or did the author run out of steam 100pages too soon and resort to poorly constructed gapfill to meet a word target?

There were good things: the writing is intelligent; the book deals with uncomfortable topics in a sensitiv
Debbie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
A complex web of relationships explored ...... that of Riley and Ben the main characters, but also those of their families and friends. Ben is the son of an abusive father, Riley has estranged herself from her own family. When Ben hits her she refuses to classify herself as an abused woman; she removes herself from the situation and runs back to home where she needs to re-establish her relationships with her family.

A weave of family and friend relationships this is not a fast-moving book with lo
For Books' Sake
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
"Monsoon Season is the début novel from American author Katie O’Rourke, and chronicles a tumultuous summer in the life of twenty-something graduate, Riley.

Having completed college, Riley picks up her things and sets up home in Tucson, Arizona on a childhood whim - without so much as a glance back to her parental home in Massachusetts." (Excerpt from full review at For Books' Sake.)
Elaine Cochrane
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this beautifully emotional story. It illustrates the main character Riley and the array of characters that colour her life elegantly. This book was difficult to put down. It details the turmoil in Riley's life and the struggle she faces to admit to herself that the relationship she's been clinging to was abortive. You journey through the pages like a supportive friend, willing Riley to become a stronger person in spite of the tribulations she has faced.
Amanda
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very good story about the struggles of domestic abuse. There were times when I would be reading along and suddenly wonder, what the heck is going on? Then realize that they had gone to the past. I would have liked a better transition between the present and past but overall was still a very good book.
Nicole McCann
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
A nice short read, an interesting story. Liked the way it was written it really flowed and it felt like I was having a conversation with all these characters as it is broken up into character chapters. Only gripe would be - a bit of an abrupt ending.
Wendy
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite new author! I love the characters! The dialogue is so realistic that you become part of the story. I am hoping the will be a sequell so we can see what happens in the future to the people we came to love in this story!
Sheri
Sep 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was painful. For 200 pages it took me 2 weeks to read it. It was poorly written and had little substance.
Jessica
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic debut!! Very rich characters and easy dialogue. I really enjoyed it. I'm still thinking about the main characters days after finishing it.
Morag Gillespie
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read about a difficult subject. Many narrators to the story but mainly from the girls point of view. I was enjoying the story when it felt like it came to an unsatisfactory ending.
Donna Irwin
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Another kindle bargain - quite a good read, liked the main character, Riley, loved her gay friend, Jack - well written but a bit slow.
Lisa
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was only ok. I was expecting more.....it was written well but was just expecting more...
Tanja
  • Sworn Secret
  • One Day, Someday
  • Freeing Grace
  • Seduced
  • Strong Rain Falling (Caitlin Strong, #5)
  • Up Close
  • The Greek's Stolen Bride
  • Falling For Her Boss
  • Warriors of the Heynai (Jake West, #2)
  • Ten Days
  • Borderlands: Unconquered
  • Walk In Beauty (Rainsinger, #1)
  • Dirty Little Christmas (Marisela Morales/Dirty, #3)
  • Wedding at King's Convenience (Kings of California, #6)
  • Wish I Might (Three Wishes, Book 1)
  • Psychic Warrior (Psychic Warrior, #1)
  • The Rose of Blacksword
  • Dante in Love
Katie O'Rourke was born and raised in New England, growing up along the seacoast of New Hampshire. She went to college in Massachusetts and graduated with a degree in gender and sexuality. She lives in Tucson, Arizona where she writes, loves and is happy.

Monsoon Season, her debut novel, was a bestselling e-book. Her second novel, A Long Thaw was released in 2014. Her third novel, Finding Charlie,
More about Katie O'Rourke...